How the CYNOVA mic adaptor works with the Osmo Action
1047 8 2019-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is a basic explanation of how the CYNOVA mic interface works, I’d originally started responding to Fishycomics on another thread but thought the explination may be interesting to other people. This response was to the questioning of what would determine the actual quality of the audio recorded, the CYNOVA or the Action.

Mr Fishy.

In this instance the CYNOVA is what will determine the sound quality and not the Action.

In this kind of setup the mic has to be sent power, or not, then it has to be preamplifier and then it has to be converted from the analogue domain to the digital domain and there’ll be a dynamics processing element somewhere in the chain, either in the analogue domain ahead of the sampling or in the digital domain after the sampling.

First thing is power. This is usually referred to as plugin power or electret power. This is a small voltage and current that is used to power the components of an ECM (electret) microphone. Dynamic mics do not need this, neither do prepowewred mics.

Next stage is the amplification of the mic signal to gain it up to something that’s workable close to line level. Although amplification may also be done in the digital domain or further enhanced in the digital domain, this is the last point of the chain for the analogue signal until final playback.

Once amplified the signal has to be sampled into the digital domain using an analogue to digital convertor, or ADC. The ADC samples the audio at certain frequencies, this equates to the frequency response. A sampling frequency of thereabouts 2.2 x will reproduce the real world analogue frequency respond you desire. For instance, if you want to reproduce 20KHz you sample at 44.1KHz, Google Nyquist for more info.

The dynamic range of the sampled real world equivalent is determined by the bit depth, 8, 12, 16, 24Bit etc. The higher the bit depth the more dynamic range.

Then there is dynamics processing, things such as AGC and limiting, again all done by the CYNOVA. This can be done either in the analogue domain or the digital domain or a mix of both.

Once the CYNOVA is done with all that, it’s then bit streamed to the Action where the Action multiplexes that digital audio with the picture, which also goes through a similar process from the analogue to digital domain.

This whole workflow is all done on effectively a single DSP/IC.

So while I've over simplified the process, this is basically what happens.

From there you can see that everything to do with actual sound quality is down to the CYNOVA interface and not the Action.

All action cameras could easily do all this as well as they already do it because of their internal mics, which have to go through the same process as well.

Any other way of doing this such as the CYNOVA being a dumb interface, just a way of connecting a 3.5mm jack, or a sharing of some or all of the tasks between the CYNOVA and Action, would mean we are paying way more than the already over priced amount we are already paying for that interface.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-10-23
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It would be interesting for someone to take one apart and see what is actually inside. An expensive experiment though, perhaps?
2019-10-24
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_index.php

Thanks Daved_Harry for the information was very interesting that I tip my hat off to you. (compliment)

The Above Link is a place anyone can test out their product.   not worth my time to put to a test in the CYNOVA. I grab what I got and use it.    what more   do I need to do to get better sound carry my Old JVC Boom box of the 70's around.  Lol

again thanks interesting.  Happy sound is made and shared . want more   get a better device, this is an Action camera.

Added to the Post:

Unless DJI, and CYNOVA can back  what you said, show the product that will do that be your guess not mine.  any  facts DJI

SILIENCE!
2019-10-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing these informative information on how the CYNOVA mic adaptor works with the DJI Osmo Action. Great information and thank you for your valued support.
2019-10-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-25 10:28
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing these informative information on how the CYNOVA mic adaptor works with the DJI Osmo Action. Great information and thank you for your valued support.

Are you telling us david harry is a dji tam member that  he works  for CYNOVA?
2019-10-25
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DeeJayOne Posted at 10-24 01:03
It would be interesting for someone to take one apart and see what is actually inside. An expensive experiment though, perhaps?

Hi DeejayOne.

I'd be very interested myself as well, although you'd probably only get more upset when you find that the DSP/IC is one that cost less than $1 with sockets and plastic all totalling less than $1 as well.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-25
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-25 10:28
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing these informative information on how the CYNOVA mic adaptor works with the DJI Osmo Action. Great information and thank you for your valued support.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-25
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 10-25 10:56
Are you telling us david harry is a dji tam member that  he works  for CYNOVA?

Mr. Fishy.

If I were a member of DJI or CYNOVA, I wouldn't be for much longer with those reviews I've been doing

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 10-25 12:36
Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

It is always my pleasure Dave to watch your informative videos. Please stay safe always and keep on filming. .
2019-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules