Flying DJI Mavic Pro in winter [Question]
949 4 2019-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flightdream
lvl.1
Spain

Can a Mavic Pro handle winter weather at high altitude? I'd like to visit the mountains in Austria and get some drone footage there, will it be safe or is that bird going to fall from the sky?
What's your experience with flying in winter?
Thanks in advance.
2019-10-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation with regard to this matter. In addition to this, we have a manuals about the disclaimer and safety guidelines when flying your drone. I've attached a photo for the environment that you may consider as well as the link for it. Thank you for your support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines-EN.pdf

2019-10-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've flown sub-zero (F) without unexpected results.  Keep your batteries in inside pockets to keep them warm until you are ready to takeoff.  I believe you can also get battery warming bags.  Make sure they are FULLY charged before each flight.  Flight length will be shortened more than usual as the battery cools off while flying.  Avoid high current (full throttle/sport mode) etc.  Watch your cell voltages.
2019-10-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i flown in last year's polar vortex here, well below 0F (like -10F and less where i was) with decent wind and it was a totally normal flight in fact failed out in the cold not the drone.  no issues or anything and battery even stayed warm from he power draw even, though it didn't climb as high as normally does in temperature, it did stay well within safe margins.    but like mentioned by AG0N, just keep your batteries warm, you can do this by keeping them in your inside pockets of your jacket.  batteries being too cold are the big point of concern.

some tips:

1. keep batteries warm and in side jacket (lot of members here will tell you thi and its a good way to keep them warm for free

2. if flying in freezing fog or any conditions where maybe ice forming on stuff (highly unrecommended for flying) then i suggest wiping down every surface with rain X solution, specially the props and camera lens and gimbal and allow it to naturally dry for a bit before flying.

3. pay close attention to onscreen warnings most cold weather flying you won't see any new errors from a normal flight, but if you start getting payload warnings, or vibration warnings then carefully fly back or locate a safe place to land the drone asap and retrieve it.   payload warning could indicate ice is forming on he body of the drone and there is enough to trigger a payload warming and a viberation warning maybe from ice forming on the props causing inbalance.

4. pay close attention to your battery voltage and percentage and sudden large changes may indicate unsafe, you may not get a prompt or warning within app at all or until it is too late.    part of your flying responsibility, regardless season is to be aware of your hardware and know its safe flight characteristics and if it largely deviates from this to take action before its too late.
2019-10-27
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1100079 ft
Canada

On top of keeping your drone battery warm like it was said, make sure your keep your remote and phone warm too. I am flying in winter here in Canada on a regular basis during outdoors activities, generally below 0C, and I learned by experience that my cell phone (an iPhone SE) is actually the weakest link: it will shutdown without notice when too cold outside. Fingers freeze too, by the way ;) Bottom line, you may want to try out your equipment (drone, batteries, remote, cell phone, clothes) in similar conditions before the D day, so that you know what to expect.
Another note from a flight performance perspective: high altitude and wind are your enemies, but cold is actually helping (cold air is more dense so propellers will get more lift). I noticed I am getting more or less the same flight times in winter and summer for that reason, as long as my batteries are warm.
2019-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules