Ronin-SC Horizon Slightly Off
14585 24 2019-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

I'm using a Nikon Z6 with 24-70 F4 lens mounted and balanced properly on my Ronin SC.  The camera's internal horizon level indicator is just a degree or two off from being completely level.  Is there a way to calibrate the gimbal to compensate for this small degree?  I'm using the most current firmware and iOS app version 1.2.4.  I've tried to use the "hidden" joint angle adjustment in the app, but it doesn't seem to take or do anything.  (I've watched a few people's YouTube videos about that hidden function.)
2019-10-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi MrTibb, are you referring to the Roll axis which a bit drifts after recentering the gimbal? If yes, we have added Advanced Calibration feature on v1.1.0.0, please enter the DJI Ronin app, then System Status and select Advanced Calibration to see if it helps (requires DJI Ronin app v1.2.2 or later).
2019-10-27
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-27 03:25
Hi MrTibb, are you referring to the Roll axis which a bit drifts after recentering the gimbal? If yes, we have added Advanced Calibration feature on v1.1.0.0, please enter the DJI Ronin app, then System Status and select Advanced Calibration to see if it helps (requires DJI Ronin app v1.2.2 or later).

Thanks for the response.  No, it's not drifting after re-centering.  Everything is balanced and centered and calibrated properly.  It's just that when I show my horizon level on my Z6, it isn't perfectly level.  If I could just adjust the roll axis manually by a degree or two, I could get it to be level.  (ie. showing a green line on my Z6 horizon/level display.)
2019-10-27
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

MrTibb Posted at 10-27 11:00
Thanks for the response.  No, it's not drifting after re-centering.  Everything is balanced and centered and calibrated properly.  It's just that when I show my horizon level on my Z6, it isn't perfectly level.  If I could just adjust the roll axis manually by a degree or two, I could get it to be level.  (ie. showing a green line on my Z6 horizon/level display.)

This might be a slight bit of OCD on my part, but I just like to know everything is level. The yellow line would be green if level.
8171244A-A98A-4A68-B971-84BC492F8115.jpeg
2019-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MrTibb Posted at 10-27 11:07
This might be a slight bit of OCD on my part, but I just like to know everything is level. The yellow line would be green if level.

May we verify what calibrations have you done? How about System Calibration and Advanced Calibration? If the issue persists, please provide us the serial number of your device.
2019-10-28
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-28 03:48
May we verify what calibrations have you done? How about System Calibration and Advanced Calibration? If the issue persists, please provide us the serial number of your device.

Thanks.  I can confirm:

Auto Tune
Balance Test (All axis Excellent)
System Calibration
Advanced Calibration

It still is slightly off, as before.

Serial Number is:
355DG9300032BPV
2019-10-28
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

MrTibb Posted at 10-28 11:48
Thanks.  I can confirm:

Auto Tune

This is my current fix/hack. A post it note folded over a couple times for a shim. Not ideal.
4F91CC99-2424-475E-ABB6-3ECEF3777EE5.jpeg
2019-10-28
Use props
David_61
lvl.1
Germany

same problem: the camera tilts a bit to the right, horizon is not even. with the mavic drone its possible to adjust the horizon very easily, why not with the ronin sc?
2019-11-13
Use props
ctiptonk
lvl.1

United States

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issue, SN 359DG8Q00322QP
2019-12-3
Use props
ibranor
New

Malaysia

having same issue with my sony a6500 + sigma 16mm. when shooting i realize that my videos is slightly not in straight level. really dissapointing
2019-12-7
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

ctiptonk Posted at 12-3 21:23
Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issue, SN 359DG8Q00322QP

No, it hasn't been solved.  I haven't heard anything back from DJI since my earlier posts.
2019-12-18
Use props
nykanvi
lvl.1
Finland

Same problem here.

During autotune and advanced calibration Horizon is spot on on my GH5 (If I lock all axis, everything is level also ), but after that it goes slight off. Toothpick is my shim plate But when I transfer my camera to tripod, everything is tilted again.
2020-1-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrTibb Posted at 2019-10-27 11:07
This might be a slight bit of OCD on my part, but I just like to know everything is level. The yellow line would be green if level.

It's probably because  the window isn't built level.
2020-1-13
Use props
slava_xarkov
lvl.2

Ukraine

pity that DJI doesnt fix problems
2020-2-27
Use props
djiuser_epKFNDaf8U5M
New

United States

Any solution to this? I am having the same issue...
2021-4-28
Use props
djiuser_TDNIBWY1AbRd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1506 ft
Spain

I have the same issue and its 2021
2021-5-22
Use props
theelbrando
New

United States

I have the same problem but worse.  I have done all the calibration, but still having an issue.  I'm using the Sony a7iii
2021-7-7
Use props
djiuser_OYptcO9XBaLn
New
Sweden

Same problem. Sony a7iii. Calibration is ”excellent” by the app but camera i a bit tilted. DJI wake up this is a big error!
2021-8-6
Use props
la_bence
New
Hungary

I had this issue, since 2020, but the Horizontal Calibration fixed it.
But since 3 months it's getting worse, cos i had 1-2 degree off, but now i have 30 degree, and i can't solve the problem...
Do anyone have the same?
2022-2-21
Use props
Morse
lvl.1
United States

Same issue here (June 6, 2022). Using Ronin SC gimbal with Sony a6400. All is excellent according to the app, and recently reset everything, but horizon is visibly off. Going to take the tip of a couple people here and put in a shim of some sort, but obviously sub-optimal, and hope DJI can address this soon.
2022-6-6
Use props
djiuser_OYptcO9XBaLn
New
Sweden

Same problem here, march 2023. Dji we need help! If anyone knows what to do about it please let us know.
2023-3-13
Use props
Elite Media
New

United States

This is too funny!! I thought it was just mine. So now that we have a solution I immediately started looking for a toothpick to place under my pgytech adapter and found that a wedge from an old credit card works very well. Thank you!
2023-3-24
Use props
djiuser_PmG6pOWEygoK
New
United States

I have issues to with my ronin sc. As soon as I turn it on it tilts.
2023-5-21
Use props
Pueblo
New

Poland

I had the same problem. The gimbal was unused for several months, after starting the level changed 2 degrees. In the application I did balance test, auto tune and system calibration, nothing helped. Resigned, I did horizontal calibration, it helped!
2023-7-5
Use props
MrTibb
lvl.2
Canada

Pueblo Posted at 7-5 07:16
I had the same problem. The gimbal was unused for several months, after starting the level changed 2 degrees. In the application I did balance test, auto tune and system calibration, nothing helped. Resigned, I did horizontal calibration, it helped!

I have found that the horizontal calibration helps as well.  It's still not perfectly level for me after I do that, but close enough that it's not noticeable. For anyone else wondering, the Horizontal Calibration adjustment is hidden in the Status section on the phone app.
2023-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules