Storage Question
2269 15 2019-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8001404 ft
Philippines

I checked the storage on my Smart Controller and it says 5.78GB of 11.24 GB used. I deleted all the pictures and videos that I found in the File Manager. Is there some place else to free up space, or is that all internal storage I get?  
2019-10-26
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

I found a lot of files under Draft that I don't know what they are. I get a blank page when i try to open them. At the top of the page it says HTML viewer. Some of the files are called DJIFLIGHT RECORD, with a lot over 1mb each. Other files are called DJIFRSYNCLOG, only a few kb. Others are just log with a date, not big (86 B).
   What is this stuff?
2019-10-26
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

Around 2-3 GB is normally consumed by the system files (operation files) or third party apps you installed.
If you haven't done already, ( to ensure nothing hidden some where ) , you can do factory reset  which will delete all the pre-post installed files and install back the default apps.
Even by doing so   total free space still could not be more than 8GB ish.
If you are not planning  to install  too many apps , imo , it is more than  enough.  
you can also check (tick the box) )  on SC settings and  DJI Go 4 ,  to  install the app  and video cache files on the external micro SD card ,this may avoid  loosing the space of the internal card.
Flight records log files can be deleted if you are not planning to do any forensic analysis to check your flight integrity.
btw , on my SC= 7.83 GB of 11.24 GB is free and I 've diverted all the cache files or other third party apps etc.to the  128GB external mSD.  
Hope it helps  

2019-10-27
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe there is a setting to clear the cache. It may be in camera settings or the DJI GO 4 settings accessed by clicking the dots at top right of screen.
2019-10-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Would it be possible if you could provide us a screenshot or photo of this scenario for further check? Please let us know for further assistance. Thank you for your support.
2019-10-27
Use props
SzczechzCzech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 708661 ft
Czechia

Some space is also used when the controller firmware was updated. After the upgrade when you go through factory reset, you can recover virtually everything.
2019-10-27
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

akozc Posted at 10-27 03:41
Around 2-3 GB is normally consumed by the system files (operation files) or third party apps you installed.
If you haven't done already, ( to ensure nothing hidden some where ) , you can do factory reset  which will delete all the pre-post installed files and install back the default apps.
Even by doing so   total free space still could not be more than 8GB ish.

Thanks for the help. I deleted the log files in the Drafts folder and my used space went from 5.78Gb to 515Gb. There were 634 files. I don't think I want to do a factory reset, but I will get a 128Gb SD card and store as much as I can on it.
2019-10-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

Marty Markoe Posted at 10-27 06:23
I believe there is a setting to clear the cache. It may be in camera settings or the DJI GO 4 settings accessed by clicking the dots at top right of screen.

I tried clearing the cache, but it didn't change the numbers.
2019-10-28
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

rbtmckny Posted at 10-28 02:15
Thanks for the help. I deleted the log files in the Drafts folder and my used space went from 5.78Gb to 515Gb. There were 634 files. I don't think I want to do a factory reset, but I will get a 128Gb SD card and store as much as I can on it.

My experience with a 128gb sd card is that the sc can stop midflight and/or freezes and you have to keep restarting. After input of a 32gb card  never had this problem anymore.
In spite dji specs says 128gb sd card , i would not suggest to use one
2019-10-28
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Macao

dronie1965 Posted at 10-28 05:28
My experience with a 128gb sd card is that the sc can stop midflight and/or freezes and you have to keep restarting. After input of a 32gb card  never had this problem anymore.
In spite dji specs says 128gb sd card , i would not suggest to use one

Himmmm , i am using 128GB Scandisk Extreme A2 mSD , and all fine and smooth.
I was using previously 128GB Scandisk Extreme A1 which has low R/W speed and causing a lot of lagging and freeze

Main difference on performance of the mSD card those magic A 1 or A2 marks
2019-10-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

dronie1965 Posted at 10-28 05:28
In spite dji specs says 128gb sd card , i would not suggest to use one

Thanks for letting me know.
2019-10-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

akozc Posted at 10-28 07:22
Himmmm , i am using 128GB Scandisk Extreme A2 mSD , and all fine and smooth.
I was using previously 128GB Scandisk Extreme A1 which has low R/W speed and causing a lot of lagging and freeze

I was not sure in your first reply about the mSD card. I guess that means Micro SD card. I have quite a few 64GB V30 A2 Extreme Scandisk Micro Cards, so I guess I try one of them first and see how they work out. 64GB is still a lot bigger than the eleven internal that you said I would be alright with.
2019-10-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

SzczechzCzech Posted at 10-27 12:57
Some space is also used when the controller firmware was updated. After the upgrade when you go through factory reset, you can recover virtually everything.

Well, I'm not too sure about a Factory Reset. I see the option in the SC settings. I'm not sure what all happens when you do one. Does it make the SC like brand new out of the box? Has to be set-up again?
2019-10-28
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Macao

rbtmckny Posted at 10-28 17:53
Well, I'm not too sure about a Factory Reset. I see the option in the SC settings. I'm not sure what all happens when you do one. Does it make the SC like brand new out of the box? Has to be set-up again?

Yes ,Factory Reset will erase all pre/ post installed apps and automatically reinstall only the apps when you received (off the box) just follow the instruction on the screen.
If you installed any third part apps then you need to re install them if you still like to do so.
DJO Go 4:  you need to update   to the latest version as well. Factory reset only install back the DJI Go 4 version which is available when the SC was manufactured.
2019-10-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Philippines

akozc Posted at 10-28 21:36
Yes ,Factory Reset will erase all pre/ post installed apps and automatically reinstall only the apps when you received (off the box) just follow the instruction on the screen.
If you installed any third part apps then you need to re install them if you still like to do so.
DJO Go 4:  you need to update   to the latest version as well. Factory reset only install back the DJI Go 4 version which is available when the SC was manufactured.

Okay, thanks.
2019-10-29
Use props
SzczechzCzech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 708661 ft
Czechia

rbtmckny Posted at 10-28 17:53
Well, I'm not too sure about a Factory Reset. I see the option in the SC settings. I'm not sure what all happens when you do one. Does it make the SC like brand new out of the box? Has to be set-up again?

Well, yes. As akozc explained and you will need to set all DJI Go4 app settings up from scratch. But hey, you will recover all "lost/used" space
2019-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules