Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No Fly Zone or restricted area?
1517 10 2019-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Hi everyone.  Part of the reason I never bought a drone was because of the flying restrictions in my area.  I live in the US - Chicago area and the airport is within 3-5 miles.  Does "no registration is required" mean I can fly in my area?  Per say, can I fly the Mavic Mini as non-commercial in my backyard or at the park?  Would the Mavic Mini app let me fly in a restricted area?    I know this is a dumb question to begin with, but I want to ask before I buy it.  Thanks.  
2019-10-30
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is plenty of places around Grant Park to fly drones with no restrictions.
2019-10-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

im unsure, but more then likely dji is still geofencing this thing.  just because it is under the 250 gram limit does not absolve it of all constraints.
2019-10-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-30 12:04
im unsure, but more then likely dji is still geofencing this thing.  just because it is under the 250 gram limit does not absolve it of all constraints.

You're correct.  According to their the newsroom article, it does have geofencing.  That said, I will need to find a non-restricted zone.   
2019-10-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Maxi3D Posted at 10-30 11:58
There is plenty of places around Grant Park to fly drones with no restrictions.

Thanks for the tip.  Are there any specific times to fly there?  I would assume early morning since during the day that area is full of people.  
2019-10-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Mavic mini still used a "No Fly Zone"  regulation like to Mavic series. However, the option for the Mavic mini is still not available on our website. No worries, we will update it as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.
2019-10-30
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^^ no worries? lol, when updated then geofencing will kick in and then bam welcome to NFZ.
2019-10-30
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

So what's the whole point of being under 249 grams to save $5 registration fee? As for most of us that have another drone it's simply sticking the number on it.
2019-10-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

You can look at the no fly zones here for your location - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/self-unlock
2019-10-31
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

It is still subjected to NFZ restrictions
2019-10-31
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 10-30 12:33
Thanks for the tip.  Are there any specific times to fly there?  I would assume early morning since during the day that area is full of people.

Yes, early in the day or in the Evening, but not too late in the evening as the park can be sketchy at night. The southern end of the Grant park is not often crowded  
2019-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules