3887 19 2019-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cauffy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36752 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
Just wondering has anyone seen any propellor noise videos or information. Comparing the mavic Mini to the spark and Air?

Thanks in advance

Ian
2019-11-1
Use props
6arret
lvl.2
Canada

Also wondering the difference between the mini vs mavic pro
2019-11-1
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve seen a few comments on YouTube about the mavic mini being a noisy little bugger, one person referred to it as sounding like a swarm of bees...
2019-11-1
Use props
Cauffy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

oh that's not good then. I didn't like the noise the Air made so if its noisier than the spark i probably won't buy it and get a second hand mavic pro
2019-11-1
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I saw a review in which they said the mavic air has an irritating swarm of bees sound and the mini is much quieter. I believe they both have high pitch noises. Anafi parrot is i find the most quiet so far. Lets wait and experience it live in a few weeks
2019-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 11-1 08:39
I’ve seen a few comments on YouTube about the mavic mini being a noisy little bugger, one person referred to it as sounding like a swarm of bees...

That is copy paste from the spark section, perhaps?
Small props, high reps, bee it is.
2019-11-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 11-1 08:39
I’ve seen a few comments on YouTube about the mavic mini being a noisy little bugger, one person referred to it as sounding like a swarm of bees...

hard to say.  lot to the equation as it isn't as simple as people think.  

one of the biggest factors in how loud a drone seems is frequency of the sound.. higher frequencies are far more annoying and more easily detectable over surrounding noises, not only are we wired to hear certain frequencies as part of our survival (we are animals after all) but also higher pitched droning sounds are far less common so much more easy to pick out of other sounds in the environment.    lower frequencies tend to not be as noticeable and can even much more easily blend into the environment, weather thats downtown city or in the farm fields.

the prop design, where most noise especially high pitched noises are mot made is at the tip of the props where air is most turbulent and traveling faster then rest of the air and being beaten around.  this can be reduced by designing the tip of the prop to not cause so much turbulence, like winglet tips on the mavic prop plat and mavic 2 series.  additionally more rigid props can resonate more but tend to be more efficient at moving more pressure but flexible props like one son the mavic mini while may not be best at moving a lot of air pressure can "absorb" more resonates (for a lack of better terms)

ESC switching..  if ESC uses digital square waves its switching on and off really fast which can actually makes it own high pitch tone reinstate out of the motor and props, a pure or near pure sinewave can reduce that high frequency pitch resonating or even eliminate it entirely depending on the RPM.  higher RPMs will still resonate higher frequencies since still producing higher frequency sine waves.  

motor design and power.. thrust and lift vs weight ratios basically. dji seems to gone with flatter motors on mavic mini, usually but not always this means they are targeting torque over rotation speed.  also likely dji is targeting lower power limits since using li-ion 18650's in their battery pack this time and the drone only weighs 249 grams..   
2019-11-1
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-1 10:30

one of the biggest factors in how loud a drone seems is frequency of the sound.. higher frequencies are far more annoying and more easily detectable over surrounding noises, not only are we wired to hear certain frequencies as part of our survival (we are animals after all) but also higher pitched droning sounds are far less common so much more easy to pick out of other sounds in the environment.    lower frequencies tend to not be as noticeable and can even much more easily blend into the environment, weather thats downtown city or in the farm fields.

Very good explanation!
2019-11-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-1 10:30

one of the biggest factors in how loud a drone seems is frequency of the sound.. higher frequencies are far more annoying and more easily detectable over surrounding noises, not only are we wired to hear certain frequencies as part of our survival (we are animals after all) but also higher pitched droning sounds are far less common so much more easy to pick out of other sounds in the environment.    lower frequencies tend to not be as noticeable and can even much more easily blend into the environment, weather thats downtown city or in the farm fields.

Great explanation, thanks a lot!
2019-11-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-1 18:31
Great explanation, thanks a lot!

no problem, hopefully this doesn't sound like the mavic air does
2019-11-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-1 19:53
no problem, hopefully this doesn't sound like the mavic air does

Well, fingers crossed
2019-11-1
Use props
MXss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Is there seriously no information on the noise levels for this drone yet??? The only info I heard are from two sources and they are sort of unofficial reports from dronedj and readysetdrone. It is very quiet, much quieter than the mavic air and should be silent enough to make most people happy.
2019-11-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Here you go
2019-11-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Here is the data
2019-11-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

this is why im not a fan of unweighted decibel readings. these readings are entirely unweighted.   these numbers tell you very little.  need weighted measurements ideally.   because as you skim down the list you start to realize somethign is very off. i mean 100 feet up the mavic 2 pro and mavic pro plat almost disappear where as the mavic air still sounds liek a angry bee hive ready to attack..
edit: watched his video and wow its still annoying sound, not as bad as mavic air but but not far behind.  
2019-11-1
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

IMO it sounds a lot less annoying than the notorious Air, but I was surprised that the Spark seemed to sound slightly less annoying than the Mini in this comparison (at close range at least).
I also saw a Mini review noting that the Mini was virtually inaudible at 30m and I could always hear the Air even at 100m.

I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for more comparisons to show up...
2019-11-2
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

air is quite angry, that 100m is true, but go sport mode an it's 300-400m it's still there
sparkie was little better (quieter)

if mini is close to platinium it's not so bad, but agree dB are one thing, and how it's spread over hearing range it's important too
and thx for link
2019-11-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting how close to the M2P they got it.
2019-11-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

DAFlys Posted at 11-4 01:13
Interesting how close to the M2P they got it.

Yes, it is
The anafi is more quiet
2019-11-4
Use props
Cauffy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think the main difference in tone of the propellers my be down to the pitch and size of the blade. I'm no expert i just like flying drones for fun...
2019-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules