Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Feature Request] Mavic Mini ActiveTrack
100420 483 2019-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Li0x9INlJfwY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

Well they can't say it's due to lack of demand. This thread is a monster!
2020-1-27
Use props
djiuser_PsbMJeELdMWg
lvl.1

Canada

It's my first drone and 2 things made me hesitate on going ahead and buy the Magic Mini. One is that it doesn't have active tracking, it's disappointing, and the second reason is the avoiding object function not being on it. This second factor is something that would be so very useful, even more so that first time drone owners are not use to flying and would be somewhat reassuring to have such feature on a first drone. Unless DJI wishes first time owners crash their drone so they need to buy a new one... and make more cash that way!!
2020-1-29
Use props
fansaa690f0c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 482995 ft
United States

+1
Give us activetrack please!  you already have a version of it implemented.  Thank you
2020-1-29
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Donsir_LTU Posted at 1-13 23:13
Meteor? It should fall from the sky like a stone

So does the Mini!
2020-1-29
Use props
corbz
lvl.1
Indonesia

Totally agree!

2nd option seems super plausible

"Dumbed down active track"
The MM stay on position adjusting just its gimbal and turn left or right to track target and all other control input of moving the MM must be made manually.

This prevent DJI for any liability and safety issues and lawsuits as the aircraft is not moving just maintaining position.

Hopefully they add this function as it would help beginner drone pilot alot.

Cheers!
2020-1-30
Use props
djiuser_KoNcgoPF805t
lvl.2
Germany

yep, active track + panorama shots would be perfect.
2020-1-30
Use props
Droneyal8r
lvl.1

Australia

Agree Active track is simple to add , please add it!!!
2020-1-31
Use props
Skrajnik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 764623 ft
Slovenia

What about active track of a person/car/bike, while YOU operate the drone?

Do we have a "official" term for this?
2020-1-31
Use props
fans4a07c6ea
lvl.1

Canada

I don't understand why people would say that Active Track would require Obstacle Avoidance, otherwise it'd be too dangerous to use. How many of you have cruse control in your car? And how many of those has adaptive cruse control? The idea is the same. Using the Active Track without obstacle avoidance is like driving with a regular cruse control.. I don't hear anyone complaining about how "dangerous" regular cruse controls are. Use them with caution, that is all....
2020-1-31
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

Look at this guys... Small tello can do this. https://youtu.be/0e_GLmUFqNA
2020-2-1
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

MARTINEZX Posted at 2-1 03:53
Look at this guys... Small tello can do this. https://youtu.be/0e_GLmUFqNA

That looks like GPS-based Follow Me, which is completely different from Active Track. Active Track uses the camera to identify and follow the designated target, which is much more complicated than tracking the mobile device attached to the RC, based on its GPS coordinates.
2020-2-1
Use props
Corger
lvl.4
United States

I ordered a Mavic Mini and it is set to arrive Monday or Tuesday.  This would be my second drone, my first being a cheap $100 GPS drone.  I made a mistake in assuming that the Mavic Mini would have a Follow Me feature.  It's such a basic and useful feature. Even my $100 Eachine has Follow Me and it works fairly well.  Yet the Mavic Min Fly More at $500 does not?

I don't really care about obstacle avoidance sensors, I'm not taking a drone into a forest or jungle.  It's just a feature for walking around and filming casually.

Right now I've got serious buyer's remorse and I'm considering sending the Mini back for a refund and strapping a GoPro to the Eachine to get better video.   Or maybe I should wait for a firmware upgrade to add features.  Maybe a there will be a paid feature.  If DJI doesn't deliver, will there be an SDK released so the Litchi app will work and give us Follow Me?
2020-2-1
Use props
MB Dronie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44970 ft

Portugal

Corger Posted at 2-1 06:44
I ordered a Mavic Mini and it is set to arrive Monday or Tuesday.  This would be my second drone, my first being a cheap $100 GPS drone.  I made a mistake in assuming that the Mavic Mini would have a Follow Me feature.  It's such a basic and useful feature. Even my $100 Eachine has Follow Me and it works fairly well.  Yet the Mavic Min Fly More at $500 does not?

I don't really care about obstacle avoidance sensors, I'm not taking a drone into a forest or jungle.  It's just a feature for walking around and filming casually.
I sold mine yesterday. After one month I got fed up with all the issues. No active track was one of them but the worst is that video without the ability to lock the white balance is useless. It has all the ingredients to be a great drone but being so handicapped by DJI software makes it a complete disappointment. My advise to you, try it for some weeks and if you don’t like it then ask for a refund or sell it later.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MB Dronie Posted at 2-1 08:22
I sold mine yesterday. After one month I got fed up with all the issues. No active track was one of them but the worst is that video without the ability to lock the white balance is useless. It has all the ingredients to be a great drone but being so handicapped by DJI software makes it a complete disappointment. My advise to you, try it for some weeks and if you don’t like it then ask for a refund or sell it later.

“Handicapped by dji software”

Can you elaborate and maybe let us know which software is better, skydio Autel maybe Yuncee ?
2020-2-1
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 08:49

Can you elaborate and maybe let us know which software is better, skydio Autel maybe Yuncee ?

I think he means the artifical (unneccessary) Software-cutdowns from DJI, which (hopefully) will get less in the future.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 2-1 08:58
I think he means the artifical (unneccessary) Software-cutdowns from DJI, which (hopefully) will get less in the future.

What’s a software cutdown ?
2020-2-1
Use props
MB Dronie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44970 ft

Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 08:49

Taking in consideration your last posts, I will not spend a single minute of my life trying to reason with you or with someone who's inflexible regarding the poor drone the Mini is for the price tag it has. My post is quite understandable as you could see for the answer you got from another participant in this forum. Now I get it. DJI fanboys always react childishly if someone says something they don't like. My advice to you: Chill man. Go out and enjoy your fantastic Mini, we don't have to like the same things you do. Told you once, will tell you twice: one man's trash is another man's treasure. Enjoy my trash.
Peace.
2020-2-1
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 09:00
What’s a software cutdown ?

Well let's call it *missing implementations and features*.
You know what's meant.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MB Dronie Posted at 2-1 09:43
Taking in consideration your last posts, I will not spend a single minute of my life trying to reason with you or with someone who's inflexible regarding the poor drone the Mini is for the price tag it has. My post is quite understandable as you could see for the answer you got from another participant in this forum. Now I get it. DJI fanboys always react childishly if someone says something they don't like. My advice to you: Chill man. Go out and enjoy your fantastic Mini, we don't have to like the same things you do. Told you once, will tell you twice: one man's trash is another man's treasure. Enjoy my trash.
Peace.

You seem to be the one that needs to chill, I think because you couldn’t work your drone is nobody’s fault, if it’s helping for you to continue around here bitching by all means it’s free territory. But don’t pose the questions if you don’t have the answers, I think most people would find someone who buys something he says cost a lot of money and then sells it because it has issues “no active track” what planet are you on when I bought my mini it had no issues with active track and I suspect that goes for everyone who owns one, yourself excluded,  but I’m certain those who did purchase had the savvy to check what they were buying.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 2-1 09:48
Well let's call it *missing implementations and features*.
You know what's meant.

Yes , what that means is somebody bought a Mavic mini but wanted it to be a Mavic air .
2020-2-1
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 10:30
Yes , what that means is somebody bought a Mavic mini but wanted it to be a Mavic air .

You know that this is not truth at all. Owners do not complain of hw performance (like resolution, bitrate, internal storage, less solid plastic, less powerfull motors, wind handling, quick release propellers ect.), they're only giving feedback, that app (or some sw features) is/are cut to basics and they found it unnecessary. And it ruins overal performance (of great little and light drone) for advanced users too.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

virtual Posted at 2-2 04:07
You know that this is not truth at all. Owners do not complain of hw performance (like resolution, bitrate, internal storage, less solid plastic, less powerfull motors, wind handling, quick release propellers ect.), they're only giving feedback, that app (or some sw features) is/are cut to basics and they found it unnecessary. And it ruins overal performance (of great little and light drone) for advanced users too.

I go to the TV shop I buy a tv a year later my neighbor buys a tv similar but new model with more bells and whistles what should I do go back to the store and tell the owner it’s not fair.

Your on a thread here about Active Track, well Active Track on dji drones is used in conjunction with OA which isn’t available on mini yet so many complaining mini doesn’t have it.

But I wonder if you were given AT by dji and your tracking you friend wife child and they decide to run up to the drone or worse they are running and suddenly stop what happens when your drone continues to fly smack into the back of there head.

Well I’ll tell what would happen is dji would be sued and if one case was successful then we would all jump on the bandwagon, so do you honestly think that dji would risk their reputation as well as having to pay out compensation for no gain .

So my question to you is this , your running while drone tracks you and you decide to stop for whatever reason how are you going to stop the drone continuing to fly without OA . And I’m not looking for the ridiculous answer we’ll be careful .
2020-2-2
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 04:22
I go to the TV shop I buy a tv a year later my neighbor buys a tv similar but new model with more bells and whistles what should I do go back to the store and tell the owner it’s not fair.

Your on a thread here about Active Track, well Active Track on dji drones is used in conjunction with OA which isn’t available on mini yet so many complaining mini doesn’t have it.

This could be easily "fixed" by a little popup message saying "use at your own risk. DJI is not responsible due to any hardware damage, accidents or possible injuries to you or your surroundings".

And for your question about how this should handle when running and stopping: You could simply draw a square around you (like in the QuickShot Mode) and as soon as the object get's bigger than the square the drone stops. I don't think that the ActiveTrack on the other Drones just stops when there's an obstacle, does it?

2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 2-2 04:38
This could be easily "fixed" by a little popup message saying "use at your own risk. DJI is not responsible due to any hardware damage, accidents or possible injuries to you or your surroundings".

Seriously do you think health and safety would not be all over this, can you imagine tracking kids how would you explain it, they’re being tracked at my risk.
Why not add only operator allowed to use AT.

I think some logical thinking is needed here, you can have active track but just not on this drone, it’s just a pity that people don’t bother putting their efforts into getting what might be possible.
2020-2-2
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 04:48
Seriously do you think health and safety would not be all over this, can you imagine tracking kids how would you explain it, they’re being tracked at my risk.
Why not add only operator allowed to use AT.

I don't get your point here. With the Popup Message DJI could step out of any responsibility and would be on the safe site, this is what I'm saying. And as for the ActiveTrack Algorithm i already wrote, how it could be programmed.

Edit: And actually I think it would be not that hard to even program something like *don't allow to get nearer than 10m to the Trackingobject*.
Either via the suqare-size or maybe even with the gps location of the phone/controller.

2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 2-2 04:53
I don't get your point here. With the Popup Message DJI could step out of any responsibility and would be on the safe site, this is what I'm saying. And as for the ActiveTrack Algorithm i already wrote, how it could be programmed.

Well I’m not sure how I can explain it better.
So AT is an automatic mode, so your craft is flying no longer under the control of the pilot
So I will ask you how you can manage to make it safe.

You are tracking yourself running and you suddenly stop, how do you stop the craft ?

Because it has no front sensors you obviously can’t track Going forward or in front so what your looking for is a complete watered down version that’s not safe.

You live in a country that has more regulations than you can shake a stick at, do you really think they would be happy that other companies from outside Europe are now waving their responsibility on the safety measures that were passed on their goods, maybe it’s time for some savvy here.
2020-2-2
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 05:07
Well I’m not sure how I can explain it better.
So AT is an automatic mode, so your craft is flying no longer under the control of the pilot
So I will ask you how you can manage to make it safe.

Well as I said. Draw a Square in the App and as soon as the Object gets bigger than the drawed Square, the Drone stops. Or/and make some kind of minimum-distance of x meters between the Drone and the Remote Control/Phone before you can enable the AT-Mode. And/or make AT possible with at least x meters height from Ground Level.
Easy as that.

Just to clarify: I'm not in need for AT, I just want to bring up some suggestions how it could be realized.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 2-2 05:12
Well as I said. Draw a Square in the App and as soon as the Object gets bigger than the drawed Square, the Drone stops. Or/and make some kind of minimum-distance of x meters between the Drone and the Remote Control/Phone before you can enable the AT-Mode. And/or make AT possible with at least x meters height from Ground Level.
Easy as that.

I don’t need it either and I wish I was talking about manual controls for camera, because AT on mini is never going to happen.
2020-2-2
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 04:22

Your on a thread here about Active Track, well Active Track on dji drones is used in conjunction with OA which isn’t available on mini yet so many complaining mini doesn’t have it.

It doesn't make sense to start internet fight here but do you blame car manufacturer in case of drivers error? Cruise control can help but can make demage as well. There was mentioned earlier that some Phanthoms didn't have OA but had AT. I believe that it is OP's responsibility to practice first, to get used to control and to understand all the dangers. You can still hit people or objects with wrong stick command or in Quickshot mode.
2020-2-2
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 05:25
I don’t need it either and I wish I was talking about manual controls for camera, because AT on mini is never going to happen.

Yes. Manual Shutter/ISO/WB and .RAW and I'm 100% happy.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

virtual Posted at 2-2 06:11
It doesn't make sense to start internet fight here but do you blame car manufacturer in case of drivers error? Cruise control can help but can make demage as well. There was mentioned earlier that some Phanthoms didn't have OA but had AT. I believe that it is OP's responsibility to practice first, to get used to control and to understand all the dangers. You can still hit people or objects with wrong stick command or in Quickshot mode.

On quick shot mode if you hit someone because of wrong stick movement, totally your fault and you are 100% responsible because this was under your control.

AT is an automatic mode and when you opt for it then the drone is no longer under your full control.

No phantom has AT without OA, the first to have AT was P4 with OA,

Your completely right it is the pilots job to practice and learn to fly .

But you still haven’t answered my question how when tracking yourself running or cycling if you stop suddenly, how do you get drone to stop hitting you, you need sensors to do this and mini doesn’t have them.

Lastly I’m not having an argument, I’m telling you why we won’t see AT on Mavic mini .
2020-2-2
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 06:29
On quick shot mode if you hit someone because of wrong stick movement, totally your fault and you are 100% responsible because this was under your control.

AT is an automatic mode and when you opt for it then the drone is no longer under your full control.
Spark has no sensors on back. You can have someone on back. You can turn off sensors. You can fly in sport mode. All is dangerous. In Dronie quick fly you have a message that is dangerous. But it works and not need OA. You dont have OA on back. And this is Automatic too... Stop can be done by Gps / wifi distance or as he said by green focus field. I dont think you want to use active track in sport mode but cinematic. So you can easly catch the drone.

The fact is that Spark is much better.
2020-2-8
Use props
pasquale06gmail.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7008 ft
Italy

The ActiveTrack actually already exists on the MM with QuickShot
just add it, with some small changes, in QuickShot
2020-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s just a pity this thread wasn’t about camera controls, ;+):::::
2020-2-8
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

https://youtu.be/RHRQoaqQIgo  about 2, 3 minute or 6...magic
2020-2-8
Use props
bigc357
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Crummett Posted at 1-11 16:24
I’m amazed you’d spend £300/400 on something without even reading up on its features tbh!

Well considering the fact that I've previously used the spark and it had active track, it's only right that one can assume that its successor would at least have the same features as its predecessor, if not better.
Just like how some people upgrade to a new iPhone or Samsung phone without reading up about its features because they already know that it is new and improved.
2020-2-10
Use props
pn22000yahoo.fr
New

France

Hello,

Without Active Track feature, Mavic Mini stay a toy ......... at 500 $ !

I did not buy it for this reason.

cordially,

Nicolas.
2020-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

pn22000yahoo.fr Posted at 2-10 10:20
Hello,

Without Active Track feature, Mavic Mini stay a toy ......... at 500 $ !

I think automatic AT makes it more of a toy, I suppose inspire 1 is a toy, matrice 600 is a toy .

2020-2-10
Use props
djiuser_D3rd3PzqyNjN
New

Canada

I approve! Please add the active tracking follow me! And I will buy one for sure!
2020-3-2
Use props
SkyMadE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2042031 ft
Malaysia

Is it possible that DJI to add an option of "Hovering" for RTH?
It seems like the "Hovering" option is missing in DJI Fly app and probably could help on prevent crash during RTH, in view of MM does not have any obstacle avoidance sensor.

2020-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules