101403 483 2019-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-3 10:04
I recognize this issue of possible crashes! But like others and I have stated, they could add an active track that simply keeps a subject in the frame. It's then up to the operator to move the drone around!

For example, once this form of tracking locks on to a target, you could "lock" a set of controls such as pitch (so that the perpendicular distance to the object's plane remains constant) and roll the drone parallel to the subject!.

could - yes, will - nope. it is just common sense - AT requires OA, due to safety concerns. plus, MM is pretty much marketed as a selfie tool - therefore i see a major grief with it unable to perform its primary functions well - mostly due to lack of super resolution mode, to be able to make 48mp shots same way M2Z does - it makes a huge difference for  group photos.

AT would be nice to have, but, with the lack of power, inability to fight even 15mph winds well, etc - it is doubtful AT would ever be done for it. unless somebody will finally crack that model and we will get a fully functional alternative freeware version of code that runs on this mavic platform.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-3 10:09
could - yes, will - nope. it is just common sense - AT requires OA, due to safety concerns. plus, MM is pretty much marketed as a selfie tool - therefore i see a major grief with it unable to perform its primary functions well - mostly due to lack of super resolution mode, to be able to make 48mp shots same way M2Z does - it makes a huge difference for  group photos.

AT would be nice to have, but, with the lack of power, inability to fight even 15mph winds well, etc - it is doubtful AT would ever be done for it. unless somebody will finally crack that model and we will get a fully functional alternative freeware version of code that runs on this mavic platform.

I suposse that will happen for sure eventually.
I personally don´t have a crazy desire for AT, since manual operations are much preffered for me, but I see how many people want the drone to do it for you.
RTH, and all Quick shots are something I only used once to test it works but I dont see much more use in the future other than really open areas.
2019-12-3
Use props
djiuser_no5T00Fxefu6
New

Czechia

I agree absolutly!
2019-12-3
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

I agree:

Active track
Manual exposure & WB for video (& maybe some custom colors/settings).
RAW for photo ( Also want WB for Photo )
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)
Auto Panorama photo mode (The Tello has this! a $99 drone! the Mini? NOPE)

Others have stated that DJI will never put Active track in the mini because of the lack of Sensors. but why does it have quickshots????? That is just as dangerous without sensors but DJI still put it in! why? because it is up to the pilot to make sure it is safe, same as Active Track. This is no change.
2019-12-3
Use props
fadly
lvl.2
  • >>>
Malaysia

I always launch Mavic Mini by hand. I don't like launching from the ground because i don't want to risk the drone ingesting soil particles that can affect the motor. So I always launch by hand. But it's rather awkward to tap on the phone screen with one hand while holding drone on the other. So I suggest DJI include an auto-take off by using the drone power button (for example, by tapping the power button twice)
2019-12-3
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

fadly Posted at 12-3 22:46
I always launch Mavic Mini by hand. I don't like launching from the ground because i don't want to risk the drone ingesting soil particles that can affect the motor. So I always launch by hand. But it's rather awkward to tap on the phone screen with one hand while holding drone on the other. So I suggest DJI include an auto-take off by using the drone power button (for example, by tapping the power button twice)

Or make the RTH button from the remote do the takeoff when the drone is not in the air ;)
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Cap0ne Posted at 12-4 01:00
Or make the RTH button from the remote do the takeoff when the drone is not in the air ;)

That' s a better idea the the post before, while using the hand is cool and "handy" some times, is dangerous and the preffered method is using a cheap landing pad.
2019-12-4
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130466 ft
Italy

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-3 10:09

AT would be nice to have, but, with the lack of power, inability to fight even 15mph winds well, etc - it is doubtful AT would ever be done for it. unless somebody will finally crack that model and we will get a fully functional alternative freeware version of code that runs on this mavic platform.

Not really.
There is no such "safety concern" at all, infact Xiaomi FIMI X8 SE has active track/follow me and no anti-collision sensors in the same price-range of the mavic mini, being much heavier.
The mavic mini being under 250g (his main reason to exist) is considered completly harmless in almost any scenario, so you don't need anti-collision or any other safety measure.

Basic active track is already there, while you do circle or helix the drone tries to keep you in center, but does not follow you around a lot.
2019-12-4
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

Johnny Danger Posted at 12-4 08:23
Not really.
There is no such "safety concern" at all, infact Xiaomi FIMI X8 SE has active track/follow me and no anti-collision sensors in the same price-range of the mavic mini, being much heavier.
The mavic mini being under 250g (his main reason to exist) is considered completly harmless in almost any scenario, so you don't need anti-collision or any other safety measure.

Yeah, and the Phantom 3 series had GPS tracking which relied on the operator to set the drone at a certain following altitude. Activetrack on the Mini would basically be the same thing.
2019-12-4
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Cap0ne Posted at 12-4 01:00

I like that idea! I use my Fly More Case for take offs right now and that works pretty well. But I see how that would be useful for those that don't have the fly more combo
2019-12-4
Use props
fans1646dc8a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3179 ft
United States

I would also love to have active track.  
2019-12-4
Use props
dji-bob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170322 ft
Italy

From dji site Italian version:

La funzione Active Track ha rivoluzionato il sistema Follow Me dei droni DJI, ed è stata inserita in tutti i modelli a seguire, come elemento acquisito e insostituibile di ogni dispositivo.

ENG version
The Active Track function has revolutionized the Follow Me system of DJI drones, and has been included in all models to follow, as an acquired and irreplaceable element of each device.

Just Liars!!!!

2019-12-4
Use props
mjordan79
lvl.1
Italy

Does this means they will never update the Mini with ActiveTrack?
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

mjordan79 Posted at 12-4 12:57
[view_image]

Does this means they will never update the Mini with ActiveTrack?

No, the may or the may not, what we need is SDK so then it can be done with third party apps.
2019-12-4
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Romania

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-4 10:05
I like that idea! I use my Fly More Case for take offs right now and that works pretty well. But I see how that would be useful for those that don't have the fly more combo

For landing/takeoff i am using a small 20x30cm textile mouse pad. Works great and it's easy to carry around
2019-12-5
Use props
Copterfan
lvl.2

Germany

I'm always look after news for the Mini belongs to new upcoming features.
Fore me Active Track would not be the most attractive additional feature for a Mini, cause I don't use this feature furthermore with my Mavic Air.
Reason = too often stops Active Track the drone if it lose the following object. Also the trajectories are not that way I like.

What I don't understand all the weeks after launch of the Mini, is, that DJI itselves don't react very clear to their customers, if and on what features they already work or will work in the future or not.
The Mini users or interested persons are writing tons of postings for feature requests. One clear generally answer from DJI would help a lot of people.

2019-12-5
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Copterfan Posted at 12-5 01:10
I'm always look after news for the Mini belongs to new upcoming features.
Fore me Active Track would not be the most attractive additional feature for a Mini, cause I don't use this feature furthermore with my Mavic Air.
Reason = too often stops Active Track the drone if it lose the following object. Also the trajectories are not that way I like.

True, and looking at the post, the vast majority want active track. I just haven't had a drone with active track so I'm excited to try it out on the small drone before upgrading to a larger mavic (I previously flew the Phantom 3 line).
2019-12-5
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

agree 100%,
2019-12-5
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130466 ft
Italy

So, DJI, what's your official position on Active track / Follow me on Mavic Mini?  When will it be available? Wake up and speak!
2019-12-6
Use props
Copterfan
lvl.2

Germany

Main reason for all the compromises is the very cheap price. For that low price the Mini has lot of outstandig features.
If I read since weeks worldwide all the feature requests, one thing is very clear for me: on the end the Mini consumers are not really satisfied.
Perhaps, if the Mini would cost around +100$ with more PRO features, the succes of the Mini would be greater.
I don't think, that only the low price is an argument for a Mini.
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_0ZQWcQKPdBzF
lvl.2
Spain

If the mavic mini is for travel, I think Active track is essential, and also it will be very usefull if you can control the mini just with your mobile, so you won't need to bring the remote controller and it will be easier to bring the drone with you in any trip
2019-12-6
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

I certainly throw in my vote for active tracking and raw images would be nice too. I'm new to DJI and drones in general but I have a Potensic D58 and it has a follow me feature without any OA. I'm not worried about the lack of OA sensors. I don't use the bumpers when I go bowling either. I have a sneaky suspicion it will be added. It's not even a matter of firmware at this point since quick shots already actively track. It's just a mere app upgrade.
2019-12-6
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-6 11:54
I certainly throw in my vote for active tracking and raw images would be nice too. I'm new to DJI and drones in general but I have a Potensic D58 and it has a follow me feature without any OA. I'm not worried about the lack of OA sensors. I don't use the bumpers when I go bowling either. I have a sneaky suspicion it will be added. It's not even a matter of firmware at this point since quick shots already actively track. It's just a mere app upgrade.

yep, exactly. And people saying that it's too cheap for the feature... the AirPix 40 dollar selfie drone has active track.
2019-12-6
Use props
Dano99
lvl.2
Canada

100% needs active track. other cheaper drones have it. hope it comes in the next update.
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_I6oMyL5A6Sq9
New

New Zealand

totally agree
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_I6oMyL5A6Sq9
New

New Zealand

totally agree
2019-12-6
Use props
simzen85
New
Flight distance : 26565 ft
Vietnam

+1 for this feature
2019-12-7
Use props
Driel87
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265016 ft
Netherlands

Active Track would be such a great add to this drone. Hope to see a official respond by DJI soon..
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Driel87 Posted at 12-8 01:34
Active Track would be such a great add to this drone. Hope to see a official respond by DJI soon..

They better, the demand is there-- as made apparent by this thread
2019-12-8
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I'm completely amazed by the apparent huge demand for these selfie features like active track.  I guess I just don't need to see myself in any photos or videos, and never thought the various selfie features would be used by that many people.  Clearly I'm wrong about that!

Maybe I just feel that I'm not all that attractive!  ;)

But I guess it's no different than people on vacation wanting to get a good shot of the family at some beautiful location.  It's why cameras have had self-timers all of these years, and why people ask strangers to take a picture of them when visiting some nice location.

On vacations, I'm always the guy taking the pictures, and never appearing in any of them myself.  And I've never once posted a picture of myself on social media.

I really would be bad at marketing!  I guess I'm out of touch with what people desire these days.

Give me RAW, manual WB and Exposure, etc.   And if you have to remove all of the selfie features to do so, then I'd be cool with that.

OK, everyone.  Throw stones at me now.  ;)
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Sigmo Posted at 12-8 13:06
I'm completely amazed by the apparent huge demand for these selfie features like active track.  I guess I just don't need to see myself in any photos or videos, and never thought the various selfie features would be used by that many people.  Clearly I'm wrong about that!

Maybe I just feel that I'm not all that attractive!  ;)

I can relate with most of what you talk about... not many selfies of myself, and my social media accounts barely have any pictures of myself.

I'm completely fine with shots from far away though, far enough to hide the imperfections of my appearance or to prevent me from getting self-conscious, but close enough to enhance the video by having a subject.
2019-12-8
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Romania

It's not only about selfies. You can record a friend's car for example, and for the most of us it's easyer to let the drone do the tracking. Also i'm sure the result will be way better in this case for many of us that maybe are not that good at manual tracking ;)
2019-12-9
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

The most wanted feature for me is full manual control for photo/video (white balance, shutter....) And maby RAW

2019-12-9
Use props
djiuser_6TFjsHdJRoRK
lvl.1

Hungary

I read that on Gearbest blog site (05.12.2019):

"ActiveTrack will not be added on the Mavic Mini
The DJI through a message of reply to a user posted on November 29, 2019 has denied the rumors and assumptions that in recent weeks are raging on social and that soon will be added to the Active Track, or the automatic tracking of a subject selected by the user through the now famous green rectangle. "Sorry, we won't support the active track on the Mavic Mini," said DJI. Probably because, unlike the older brothers, all the QuickShot features on the Mavic Mini work thanks to the app's processing. It's the processor of the smartphone that does the calculations of "computer vision" to control the Mavic Mini so as to keep the subject centered during the Dronie, Rocket, Circle and Helix."

2019-12-9
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_6TFjsHdJRoRK Posted at 12-9 13:10
I read that on Gearbest blog site (05.12.2019):

"ActiveTrack will not be added on the Mavic Mini

To be fair DJI support also said nothing about any fix for the gimbal noise and then firmware fixed it. They denied any issue with the line at the bottom of the 2.7k and said it was as it should be, then told someone else it would be fixed via future firmware
2019-12-10
Use props
lohr500
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Am I missing something? If the Quick Shots are handled by the phone apps processing, why can't the phone app be updated to handle Active Track?
Would it really take much more phone processing power to track the green block if that was moving, rather than stationary. It must be moving anyway relative to the drone position, in order for the fixed quick shots to work.
2019-12-10
Use props
fansb4c7d87b
New
Austria

Hi DJI!
Hi to everybody!

Just a short question...
Does the mavic mini gets active tracking in fly mode or not?

Thanks for your replies?
2019-12-10
Use props
CPTMiro
New

Germany

Guys! did somebody of you think about the option of a payable app upgrade to unlock These functions? It would be a great opportunity for Dji to earn a little extra
2019-12-10
Use props
Cdpils
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24948 ft
Germany

With Skydio being lightyears ahead in this area and making this an unique selling proposition, just skipping this feature in any new drone should be a no go.
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_plgqYnA5ZBif
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28209 ft
Germany

World be perfekt for Mountainbiking.

100% aggree!
2019-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now