Gimbal stability lacking horribly
630 7 2019-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377881 ft
United States

I have had the Mavic Air for a year and a half with over 100 flights.

Within the last couple of months, I have noticed the gimbal is not stabilizing like it used to. I have received gimbal motor overload notifications, but I have noticed the image being quite shaky even when this message is not or has not displayed.

Drone has not been wrecked. Issue has occured numerous occasions in non-windy conditions. PLEASE HELP!!!
2019-11-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience that it may cause. I would like to ask if you manage to update the firmware of your Mavic Air? If so, please try to refresh the firmware into the latest version and do the gimbal auto calibration to see if there will be changes. The DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded using this link: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads. If the problem persist, we highly recommend contacting our support for further evaluation of the unit. However, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the investigation and warranty period of the unit. For those DJI Products that out of the warranty period, charges will be applied. Thank you for understanding.
2019-11-3
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-3 12:32
Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience that it may cause. I would like to ask if you manage to update the firmware of your Mavic Air? If so, please try to refresh the firmware into the latest version and do the gimbal auto calibration to see if there will be changes. The DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded using this link: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads. If the problem persist, we highly recommend contacting our support for further evaluation of the unit. However, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the investigation and warranty period of the unit. For those DJI Products that out of the warranty period, charges will be applied. Thank you for understanding.

Thank you for your advice.

I auto-calibrated the gimbal, re-calibrated the vision sensors, as well as re-calibrated the IMU.

Not sure which of these was the culprit, but she appears to be quite steady again.

I am continuing to notice the drone likes to yaw to the right on it's own. I am able to stop this if I slap the left stick to the left. However, it will occasionally continue to yaw right, never left. Is this a potential contact issue within the controller? Seems to be what I've read.
2019-11-4
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
United States

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience that it may cause. I would like to ask if you manage to update the firmware of your Mavic Air? If so, please try to refresh the firmware into the latest version and do the gimbal auto calibration to see if there will be changes. The DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded using this link: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads. If the problem persist, we highly recommend contacting our support for further evaluation of the unit. However, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the investigation and warranty period of the unit. For those DJI Products that out of the warranty period, charges will be applied. Thank you for understanding.

ACTUALLY, the gimbal issue is not completely resolved. Camera will be completely stable one minute, then bouncing around the next. Quite frustrating
2019-11-5
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
United States

Looks like I'll be sending it in for diagnostics/repair. Hopefully the cost of this doesn't outweigh getting a new drone
2019-11-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

That happened to me once before.  I landed the drone, powered it down, then removed the battery.  Like most electronic devices that may act weird, I press the power button for about 5 seconds (with the battery removed to bleed any residual power), then I put the battery back in and powered it back up.  It hasn't done that 'shaky gimbal thing' since.
I don't know if you tried this, but it's worth a shot.
2019-11-7
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
United States

For anyone interested,

I have not experienced the issue with my camera gimbal for some time now. I even flew it yesterday, while it was snowing in 30 mph wind, and the camera was steady.

I will continue to monitor it on a somewhat daily basis. Hopefully I can avoid sending in for repair.
2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

SAMpSONNN Posted at 11-12 05:36
For anyone interested,

I have not experienced the issue with my camera gimbal for some time now. I even flew it yesterday, while it was snowing in 30 mph wind, and the camera was steady.

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. If the problem persist after exhausting the troubleshooting steps, please send the unit to our facility for further evaluation of the unit. For further information, the warranty repair would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty period of the unit. If you wish to contact our support, kindly click the link below. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules