Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Still photo lines / artefacts
2054 21 2015-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nixonactive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello all,

First of all I have to state that I'm extremely pleased about purchasing my Phantom 3 and have no regrets at all.

Its capturing some excellent still photos and video, so its all good.

There is however one small issue thats annoying me slightly...

When capturing still images ( single shot, bracketed etc ) I am finding that I'm having to take the same shot multiple times. The reason for this is because some images have strange horizontal lines across them ( 2 - 3 ) that are about 10px deep and show the image breaking apart if that makes sense? This also happens in single shot mode, so its not movement between shots I dont think.

Taking the same shot several times increases my odds of capturing a 'good' pic as depending where the horizontal line/s appear, its not always so easy to clone out in Photoshop.

Now its not a camera shake issue otherwise the image would be blurred ( which its not ) and its only happening sporadically and not every time.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or have any thoughts on it please?

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-11
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you got any examples?

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack for the Phantom 3
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-11
Use props
nixonactive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-12 05:04
Have you got any examples?

Yeah I've got a few examples but I'm unable to upload at the moment.

I will upload one in the morning to demonstrate what I'm on about.

cheers,

Nick
2015-6-11
Use props
nixonactive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Heres a couple of examples of the effect that I've described. Any help in rectifying this issue would be really helpful, thanks.

Nick

2015-6-11
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That looks like its struggling to save to the SD.. Are you using the same SD that came with the Phantom? If you have another Class 10 UHS micro SD you can try..
2015-6-11
Use props
nixonactive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-12 15:47
That looks like its struggling to save to the SD.. Are you using the same SD that came with the Phan ...

Im using a 32gb Sandisk Extreme microSD card, so presume this is fast enough?

Nick
2015-6-12
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should be but might be damaged ( or even a fake ).. Try the 16Gb lexar that came with the Phantom, see if its any better..
2015-6-12
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-12 16:32
Should be but might be damaged ( or even a fake  ).. Try the 16Gb lexar that came with the Phantom ...

I bought the SD card from Tesco so should be legit. However I'll give your suggestion a whirl, thanks for the help again.

It never occurred to me that it might be a write-speed error

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-12
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

UPDATE
________

Okay... heres the weird thing I've discovered today.

Ran a photo taken yesterday through the DJI DNG Cleaner, and it has successfully removed the horizontal line problem.

So it can't be a 'write' issue after all, so what do you reckon it is?

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-13
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Did you try the SD card that came in the box ?
This is the FIRST thing to try !
2015-6-13
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-14 03:18
Did you try the SD card that came in the box ?
This is the FIRST thing to try !

No I didnt, I didnt use it once.

Instead I went out and bought a better 32gb Sandisk Extreme SD which is quicker.

But like I said in my last post, I now dont think its a write-speed error because when I processed it through DJI DNG Cleaner, it cleared up the problem.

Very odd, but I'm going to try another card anyway like you fellas have suggested just to double check. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Nick
2015-6-13
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

If you think you have the right answer why do you ask ? Is it so difficult to give a test with the stock SD card (with which almost nobody had any problem) ???
You don't even have to connect the tablet : power on RC, power on the quad, press the shutter button on the RC, power off everything, remove the card and check... 60 seconds work !!!
The pictures have to be clean without DNG cleaner....
2015-6-13
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-14 05:05
If you think you have the right answer why do you ask ? Is it so difficult to give a test with the s ...

Why do I ask???

Its called a forum, hence I value other peoples insights into the P3 who are more experienced than me.

Personally dont see an issue with what I've said, or in coming to conclusions.

Nick
2015-6-13
Use props
DanH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-12 16:32
Should be but might be damaged ( or even a fake  ).. Try the 16Gb lexar that came with the Phantom ...

Agreed with the "fake card" !
One of my relatives bought a Sandisk 64 GB on Ebay, and it was a fake... without the Sandisk perfs, of course !
2015-6-13
Use props
jeffgritchen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117448 ft
United States

DanH Posted at 2015-6-14 14:49
Agreed with the "fake card" !
One of my relatives bought a Sandisk 64 GB on Ebay, and it was a fak ...

I had the exact same thing happen with the 16gb card that came with the P3P. I stuck in a San Dick 64gb XC I and it works just fine.

Some cards go bad.
2015-6-14
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jeffgritchen Posted at 2015-6-15 11:58
I had the exact same thing happen with the 16gb card that came with the P3P. I stuck in a San Dick ...

Cheers for that Jeff, quite relieved I'm not the only one.

Don't for one minute think my 32 GB card was fake as I purchased from a well-known High Street retailer. However I've just bought a PNY 64 GB elite ST card  so hopefully this one will alleviate the problem.

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-15
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

I have strange artefacts / lines,
example:

2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-17 03:46
I have strange artefacts / lines,
example:

Sorry musman, not seen this issue before - Its the same as this guy's issue - http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=21633 - keep an eye out there for possible solutions..

have you tries resetting the camera? ( its one of the camera options )
2015-6-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 05:04
Sorry musman, not seen this issue before - Its the same as this guy's issue - http://forum.dji.com ...

yeap reset done,
this is not a huge issue but looks like something physical on matrix,
changed to 16:9 and issue is gone ... or maybe not visible.

also reported to support but knowing what they have now ;) I can wait and use warranty later
2015-6-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 05:04
Sorry musman, not seen this issue before - Its the same as this guy's issue - http://forum.dji.com ...

so this is after last patch,

;) what a shame on DJI

http://forum.dji.com/thread-21633-1-1.html
2015-6-16
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-17 05:56
so this is after last patch,

;) what a shame on DJI

If the artefacts are those lines at the bottom of your photo then luckily you'll be able to easily crop the photo to get rid of them... Although of course this shouldn't have to be the case.

Personally speaking I've managed to solve my 'lines' issue. Bought a PNY 64gb Elite card and it's sorted, guess it was a write-speed issue after all. Many thanks to those who offered their suggestions / help, much appreciated.

Nick
2015-6-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-6-17 14:50
If the artefacts are those lines at the bottom of your photo then luckily you'll be able to easily ...

yes correct, I agree this is not critical issue or even not a major one,
RAW pictures are not affected and you can crop simply by switching to 16:9 mode.

what is dangerous here is the fact that DJI QC passed this,
to build up confidence level DJI should share release notes with known issues list,
those small camera issues are ok ... we can wait for fix but issues with GPS / Compass or VPS might cost us a crash.

2015-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules