Canada Mavic Mini in controlled airspace?
16657 51 2019-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

2020-6-5
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

buy a drone NFZ are made so that we have to go out and explore more places and have fun.
2020-6-5
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

That last video sum it up. You can fly within controlled airspace, as long as you follow the regulation 900.06. Do not endanger any aircraft or people. that's it. It is not forbidden to fly the Mini in controlled airspace. But near and airport I would not even fly that high as 400 feet, just in case.
2020-6-5
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

BTW, one of the positive effect of the covid, there is no more airplanes in the sky. I used to have tons of huge jets going over our house, very noisy in middle of the night, very very anoying, now I have seen only one this month and very very high. I have seen 2 small airplanes during the day, that's it. Can't say I miss them.
2020-6-19
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

USS Pretty-Bird Posted at 4-11 14:08
The 'Aeronautics Act' is the legislation which governs all aircraft in Canada - and it must be followed by all provinces (eg. no local bylaw may add to or change it).  Federal trumps Provincial.

In the Act, under definition of "Canadian Aircraft", the definition states "an aircraft which is registered".  A micro drone under 250g (RPAS) is not registered, therefore is NOT a ' Canadian Aircraft' as defined in the Act.  Therefore while it may be referred to or called an 'aircraft' it is not legally an 'aircraft'.  It is an unregulated (aka not under any law or regulation) aircraft, or whatever you wish to call it.  Certainly any local authority (city) can regulate it - but so long as they don't place any regulations on anything in federal airspace - which is ALL airspace in Canada (local municipalities have zero jurisdiction over any airspace).  They can regulate YOU but not your drone in federal airspace.  You could be cited for causing a 'public nuisance', but this wouldn't be a specific drone violation.

USS Pretty-Bird wrote: "In the [Aeronautics] Act, under definition of "Canadian Aircraft", the definition states "an aircraft which is registered".  A micro drone under 250g (RPAS) is not registered, therefore is NOT a ' Canadian Aircraft' as defined in the Act . Therefore while it may be referred to or called an 'aircraft' it is not legally an 'aircraft'."

Are you deliberately misrepresenting what the Aeronautics Act in fact says?  You left some pertinent bits out.  What the definition actually says is this;

Interpretation
Definitions

3(1)  Canadian aircraft means an aircraft registered in Canada; (aéronef canadien)

If it is not registered in Canada, it isn't a Canadian aircraft.  Futhermore, the Act defines an aircraft as;

3(1)
aircraft means
  • until  the day on which paragraph (b) comes into force, any machine capable of  deriving support in the atmosphere from reactions of the air, and  includes a rocket; (aéronef)
  • [Repealed before coming into force, 2008, c. 20, s. 3]

2020-6-19
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 2019-12-6 13:15
Of course! I included 2 images. The first was from their general inquires office who gave me conflicting info on whether we should maintain VLOS (we don't for the mavic mini). The second was direct from a civil aviation safety inspector at the RPAS division of Transport Canada (this is the one I print out and bring with me in case). I also carry with me emails from my local police department, bylaw office, and a copy of the transport canada aeronautics law ([view_image][view_image]highlighted with contact info, definitions etc). You don't have to do that, I'm just nuts. Figured it couldn't hurt. At least for me, when I talked with police, they didn't really know the laws and the site they had up was outdated. But again, I printed out all that stuff just in case haha. Everyone who sees me flying a drone are more interested than anything, which is always nice!

Basically, UAVs under 250 g in Canada are largely unregulated aside from "use common sense" laws. We still have to follow provincial/municipal laws if applicable. For me, Class C airspace covers like 95% of my city so the mavic mini was an instant buy for me.

I printed this as well and carry it with me, just in case. I think it's quite straight forward.
2020-6-19
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

You are good to go, just never fly recklessly or do anything stupid.
2020-11-8
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

2.0 MICRO REMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (mRPAS) — LESS THAN 250 G Micro remotely piloted aircraft systems (mRPAS) are made up of a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) weighing less than 250g and its control station. The weight of the control station is not factored in to the weight calculation when determining whether an RPA is a micro RPA (< 250 g) or a small RPA (250 g to 25 kg). However, the weight of any payload carried, such as optional cameras, will be considered part of the weight. Pilots of mRPASs are not subject to Subpart 1 of Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), so they are not required to register their RPAs or obtain a certificate to fly them. However, they must adhere to CAR 900.06 and ensure they do not operate their RPA in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person. While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulation that inform the pilot how to accomplish this objective, there is an expectation that the pilot of an mRPA should use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to mitigate any risks associated with the operation. This should include having an understanding of the environment in which the RPA pilot is operating, with particular attention paid to the possibility of aircraft or people being in the same area. As a rule of thumb: a) Maintain the mRPA in direct line of sight; b) Avoid flying your mRPA above 400 ft in the air; c) Keep a safe distance between your mRPA and other people; d) Stay far away from aerodromes, water aerodromes, and heliports; e) Avoid flying near critical infrastructure; f) Stay clear of aircraft at all times; g) Conduct a pre-flight inspection of your mRPA; h) Keep the mRPA close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller; and i) Avoid advertised events. These guidelines will help you avoid flying in a negligent or reckless manner and being subject to monetary fines. They will also help ensure that you enjoy a safe flight and minimize the risk of an incident. Remember: if you feel that a flight is risky, do not fly
2020-11-8
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

USS Pretty-Bird NCC-1702 Posted at 4-10 20:30
Federal Law governs ALL Canadian Airspace - even the airspace over parks in every city, every province.

HOWEVER: Local regs can require you (the operator) to not be allowed to 'fly in or from a park'.  This will be the wording if you find this in any local regulation or bylaw.  Therefore although they can't prohibit your drone from being in the AIRSPACE over a park, they CAN prohibit you from standing in the park and operating your drone.  So...you can FLY within and over any park so long as you, the operator are not on park property.  You would have to fly over a park while operating the drone from within private property.  This may be difficult to achieve unless your property is near the park...

I think you are correct except for the example, if you were to take off from a roadway outside of a park which would be considered public property, and then flew over a park while neither taking off or landing within the park. I have not seen any reference to operating your sub 250 gram UAV within the park, example would be to walk across the street into the park to maintain VLOS and then subsequently leaving the park to land. If you know of a reference in the AIM document contradicting my interpretation then I welcome your response. As we all know the AIM document is always being updated so new information is imperative to flying legally, and safely.
2020-11-8
Use props
fans100040f5
New
Flight distance : 66 ft
Canada

I currently live 18 Kms from an airport and I am looking at buying a mini 2. Am I able to fly it? I am outside the restricted area. I am unable to fly my phantom 4. Thanks.
2020-11-16
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

fans100040f5 Posted at 11-16 15:09
I currently live 18 Kms from an airport and I am looking at buying a mini 2. Am I able to fly it? I am outside the restricted area. I am unable to fly my phantom 4. Thanks.

Assuming you mean an 18 km radius from the airport, you should be able to fly yes. I'm much closer at around 7 km from the airport and I fly all the time. I'm personally in class C airspace which puts a limit on my altitude at 60 m but otherwise, I don't have to go through any hurdles at all.

You should double check what type of airspace you are in (to see if you can legally fly) and then check here (to see if the mini 2 will take off):

https://www.dji.com/ca/flysafe/geo-map
2020-11-17
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft
  • >>>
Canada

6arret Posted at 2019-12-5 08:55
Your not allowed to fly in Class C airspace unless your have an advanced operator certificate and an SFOC. Even if your drone is under 250 grams you still have to follow Part IX - Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.  https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html
While flyingTo keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times

• This reply is incorrect.
    A Basic or Advanced operation is an operation that can only be completed with an rpas >250g and under 25kg.
    There is no such thing as a basic operation with a mini-drone.
    I am an Advanced Pilot certificate holder in Canada.
    2021-4-21
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules