Osmo Action - Water Damage - DO NOT BUY FOR WATER ACTIVITIES
16843 36 2019-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steeletyler
lvl.1
Philippines

I went swimming today and my camera flooded and managed to somehow get water behind the front facing screen.

This camera is not waterproof and I urge you all to reconsider buying one if you would like to swim/snorkel/dive with it. Despite the website saying it is up to 15 meters. I managed to find a few other threads of similar cases, where there is just a solid red light on the top of the camera, without any solid support from DJI despite the fault being with their early model cameras. This frustrates me since I am only 1/3rd of my way into my backpacking trip and I was using this camera for a majority of my filmmaking.

Before you ask, yes the battery door, SD card slot door, and lens cover were all sealed completely.

I'm not expecting any "support" from DJI on this issue since they'll probably claim it was my fault or that the fine print says that the camera shouldn't be submerged and that it's water resistant, not water proof (false advertising on the site big time). They'll probably reach out with a 15% off coupon code lol.

Better off with the GoPro.

If anyone else has had some recent experiences with a similar issue, please post below.

Thank you.
2019-11-5
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I did some tests by myself when i received the camera. I guess i got one of the first models since i bought it very early when it was about 370€ in pricing.
Besides the known humidity behind the front screen when getting into cold/hot areas i don't have any troubles. I let the camera under water in my kitchen in a glass for over 30 minutes. No problems at all...

2019-11-5
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

I have taken mine swimming. No problem.  Seems waterproof to me.
2019-11-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I would and did not but suggest the  DJI care pkg. that would cover any issue if not yep go-pro then.
2019-11-5
Use props
fansf23073a3
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 11-5 03:55
I would and did not but suggest the  DJI care pkg. that would cover any issue if not yep go-pro then.

In hindsight, definitely should have bought it.
2019-11-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

fansf23073a3 Posted at 11-5 04:10
In hindsight, definitely should have bought it.

I find if I make it a year without the plan I am good, two a winner. but with GoPro I am on my 3rd Hero 7 black or 4th. and out of warranty. once it goes , no looking back.  no plus pkg plan.   the $$$ i saved on it  goes twards another but this time  round I am thinking moreof getting it. the plan
2019-11-5
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That is really unfortunate and it does suck after spending so much money, - I hope dji help you out.

A lot of people including myself have had no problems using it underwater though, and I wouldn’t assume that just by switching brands you will have no problems !
2019-11-5
Use props
fansf23073a3
lvl.1
Philippines

Still have yet to hear from DJI about this issue. After doing my best to dehydrate the camera, it powers on but turns off shortly after without any warning.
2019-11-6
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, I too made the same mistake.  I Bought the Osmo Action for my first trip to Thailand.  After the second snorkeling trip got the 'Red LED of death'. Same as multiple posters on this and other forums.  Having high expectations for the Osmo Action, I Left my GoPro at home (won't do that again).  So my Thailand 'holiday of a lifetime' videos/photos were limited to iPhone quality.  DJI customer service is non-existent.  This is the 3rd DJI product that I own that has failed from DJI design problems and nil customer support.  The moral of the story?  Don't buy the Osmo Action buy a GoPro.  If you are insane and absolutely must buy a DJI product buy it from a supplier with principles (Amazon ?) who will refund or replace your faulty DJI product without fuss.     
2019-11-7
Use props
fansf23073a3
lvl.1
Philippines

They want me to send it in for repair, (unsure if that'll be free or not). But that's kind of hard to do while backpacking for another 4 months.
2019-11-8
Use props
Kristoff
New

United States

fansf23073a3 Posted at 2019-11-8 01:38
They want me to send it in for repair, (unsure if that'll be free or not). But that's kind of hard to do while backpacking for another 4 months.

Did they make you pay for the repair?
2020-3-4
Use props
Mackcrossgmail.com
lvl.2

Jamaica

man i wish i saw this post before i bought mine the same thing happened to me, im in jamaica and was in a river, bareley went underwater and i got the same thing, all the doors were closed and i got the same issue water got into the camera and now it wont turn on
2020-7-13
Use props
LyeKit
lvl.1

Thailand

From what I read in this forum so far, DJI Osmo Action is not suitable for water sport unless you have the waterproof case on? Does any DJI tech support has anything to say about these claims?
2020-7-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

you can option for the case if you are  going to be in water sports then just going t oa  fountain and dunking.
2020-8-1
Use props
LyeKit
lvl.1

Thailand

Thanks for the suggestion. I went swimming with the OA without the underwater case and so far no issue with it. I guess it could be something to do with wrong combination of camera, battery or microSD card door production lot that could cause larger than usual gap tolerence? Just my thoughts...

2020-8-2
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mine has been fine, not been that deep but have jumped from height into water with no problems.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-4
Use props
Ocean-X
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488615 ft
United States

I have been down to 4m in the ocean on several occasions with no issues.  Just a note to those reading this thread. Any dust build-up or small hairs or fibers on the battery or side door seals can act like miniature straws, and allow water intrusion. I frequently wipe my seals with a lint free cloth, and carefully blow them off with canned duster. If there was a defective seal, this is obviously no solution, but a seal on a battery that has been left in a dusty environment for days should be gently cleaned and lint free, along with its mating surface on the camera

I realise this is no consolation to those who have had issues, but it could help prevent them in the future.
2020-8-13
Use props
LyeKit
lvl.1

Thailand

Yea,, always keep the battery in its case when not in use or just leave it in the OA.
2020-8-21
Use props
djiuser_UEGTEMApZvzi
New

Philippines

yup mine died too..i had to go through a lot to get the seller to notice my request for a replacement.
2021-2-26
Use props
RobCass
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_UEGTEMApZvzi Posted at 2-26 20:31
yup mine died too..i had to go through a lot to get the seller to notice my request for a replacement.

What are peoples thought on purchasing the underwater kit just as “insurance”?
Are there any disadvantage to the case (besides additional cost and a little more bulk)?
Thinking about getting my first OA since the price is right and feel like i would still get the underwater case for that additional level of waterproofing.
For reference I am not talking scuba and huge depths, more snorkeling for me.
Still holding out to see if the OA2 comes soon. Will PU OA 1 if my next trip comes before OA2 release.
2021-3-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

For me I do not dunk it, so no need for it. but its added protection if you do not have insurance
2021-3-1
Use props
djiuser_SY14Ikv5Smjw
lvl.1
South Africa

I'm so scared to try go swim with mine.. I'm thinking of trying it today in the pool..
2021-4-4
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

djiuser_SY14Ikv5Smjw Posted at 4-4 02:27
I'm so scared to try go swim with mine.. I'm thinking of trying it today in the pool..

Just be careful. Mine started seep water in after the first couple of times. And it is not the gaskets or the lens cover. I recon the water comes into the body somewhere near the front screen. The worst I got was a drop or two but that was scary enough.

OA is really good underwater though, so I just ordered a dive case.

2021-4-4
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

Ditto. Very few first models. No issues. Camera was in pool with me in Aruba in 2018 and Jamaica in 2019. Fully submerged.
2021-4-25
Use props
djiuser_Fo5BFRwFaMDy
New

United States

I took my brand new Osmo Action on a 50 minute scuba dive to 40 ft., locked inside a waterproof case rated to over 100 ft.  It recorded the dive fine but died less than 1 minute into the playback when on dry land.  Now it's completely dead, initiated a CAS # with DJI, and had to pay $29 for a replacement.  A brand new camera failing within the first hour of use is hardly acceptable.  
2021-5-1
Use props
jzeeko
New

Thailand

Was using my Osmo Action in a waterproof housing to film some surfing. The lens got fogged so took the camera out and into the water for less than 5 minutes. Noticed the front screen looked like it had moisture/water inside. Immediately got out of the water, went home, and searched online about it and saw DJI customer care saying it's just between the layers of glass of the screen and will cause no problems with the camera. 10 minutes later the camera is completely dead and will not turn on, charge, etc. Messaged a friend who I know has the same camera and guess what? The EXACT SAME THING happened to him. This is my first DJI product so naturally I am extremely disappointed. Do I even waste time and money trying to repair?
2021-6-25
Use props
djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs
lvl.1

Turkey

I want to use it only underwater. Now, should i buy gopro for underwater use?
2021-7-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

buy a waterproof casing on ALL camera
2021-7-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

https://amzn.to/3hMJhOq

best to be protected
2021-7-7
Use props
djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs
lvl.1

Turkey

They say that this camera is waterproof 11meters. But everybody say that if you use it underwater, you must to use with case. İf i use it with case, why wıuld i buy dji osmo action? Gopro can used without case. Does dji lie us about waterproof?
2021-7-11
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs Posted at 7-11 14:32
They say that this camera is waterproof 11meters. But everybody say that if you use it underwater, you must to use with case. İf i use it with case, why wıuld i buy dji osmo action? Gopro can used without case. Does dji lie us about waterproof?

Short answer is "yes". Long answer is that although Osmo Actions are supposed to be waterproof, due to design/production flaws most of them are not. Some even start as water-proof but loose the ability over time (drying gaskets maybe?). So, unfortunately, it is not recommended to use OA underwater without a case.

I tried a couple of 3rd part cases by the way, and they all gave me grief due to heat. The original case is supposed to have a thermal solution, but it is a tad pricey.
2021-7-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Agree: added Protection for something you love, I get the case for water,  if we  are not paying attention, that one mistake is costly, and as we hear it, there are many that simply doing just that, and not just DJI,   

the  care package may cover water damage, otehrwise it is not covered
2021-7-12
Use props
opri
lvl.1
Croatia

Hi,
For the first scuba dive I use the camera with genuine (original) waterproof case, and although it is rated up to 60 m with waterproof case, housing start leaking at 7m. After that I was worried all dive time, because I didn't want to lose camera also, so I reduce dive depth and all dive was ruined.
Any how, after leakage, casing start to fog, and lens was fogged so filming was unavailable.

I am very disappointed because I have old SJcam 5100, with housing of 15$ and works last 5 years very well, even in deep dive, up to 40m.

I want to bay better/newer camera, or it was my opinion, but firstly I get camera which was defective and need to be replaced and now I have problem with underwater housing.

I expected much more from DJI,..bed design
2021-9-28
Use props
Ammaralkaaki
New

Yemen

I have the same thing, with water less than 3 feets it is working for 5 sec. then switch off , i am very dispointed going to GoPro products this time .
2021-11-30
Use props
andywillett
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansf23073a3 Posted at 2019-11-6 02:39
Still have yet to hear from DJI about this issue. After doing my best to dehydrate the camera, it powers on but turns off shortly after without any warning.

sadly If you got seawater in it it will be a right off, no doubt.
2-23 07:53
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
Spain

Sounds bad. I used lived on a boat for many years and used a GoPro Hero 5 when free diving and snorkelling. Day in day out and it was perfectly fine. After 4 years it did some corrosion on the extremities, but nothing that caused any problems.

I certainly don't have plans to use the DJI in the same way, but it's disappointing to hear reports of it having issues.
3-4 07:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules