UK CAA Test - What did you score?
5880 39 2019-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Now that the UK registration system is up and the test is available at https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/ what did you score on your first attempt.
Single SelectVote, Total 40 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DAFlys. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this thread. I hope that many of our valued DJI co pilots will participate. Thank you.
2019-11-5
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not applicable to me, but I am interested to see the results.  
2019-11-5
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best to do this at the end of the month, otherwise your renewel date will be early November 2020.

Took Part A on FPV UK, 10 questions, 10 correct. Now I don't need to do the CAA test, my registration will be via FPV UK. When they contact me I pay them my £9 and they complete the registration with the CAA.
2019-11-5
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

I have also done the FPV UK part A 10/10 but thought I'd like to do the test using my second email address, ended up with a pass 18 (oops) so followed through and paid and now all done no waiting, however I thought the FPV UK test was more relevant. I thought there were a couple of questions that were a bit odd hence 18.
Have both now so belt and braces.
2019-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

UKMoose Posted at 11-5 16:05
I have also done the FPV UK part A 10/10 but thought I'd like to do the test using my second email address, ended up with a pass 18 (oops) so followed through and paid and now all done no waiting, however I thought the FPV UK test was more relevant. I thought there were a couple of questions that were a bit odd hence 18.
Have both now so belt and braces.

Do you know which questions you got wrong?
2019-11-5
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi  I've slept but I'm sure one was the footpath question, and the airport question which I answered ALWAYS, may have read it incorrectly, I would have got the snow question wrong had I not read about on here.
2019-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

UKMoose Posted at 11-6 01:16
Hi  I've slept but I'm sure one was the footpath question, and the airport question which I answered ALWAYS, may have read it incorrectly, I would have got the snow question wrong had I not read about on here.

This one -

Question 1 of 20
Matt, Tim and Rory are at an organised music festival for over 2,000 people.
The three friends go off to fly their drones.
Which of them takes off and flies safely?

Select one
Rory walks along a public footpath until he’s 150m away from the festival crowds and stands in a neighbouring field where a few people are out walking. He stands 35m away from the people out walking, puts the drone on the ground next to him, and starts flying it away from the people out walking.

Matt makes sure he’s 50m away from anyone else before starting to fly. He flies 150m above the crowd that's getting ready for the next band to come on stage.

Tim walks along a public footpath in a neighbouring field so that he’s at least 150m away from anyone before starting to fly. He avoids flying over the festival and flies at 40m over a nearby cottage.
2019-11-6
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi bud, yes that's the question,  reads better this morning, it was nearly midnight when I did the test, not making excuses,  however all done now, just need to get my grandson his ticket to fly my drone now when he comes for dinner tonight.
2019-11-6
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

You can be within 30m of people if taking off or landing, hence A is correct.
2019-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

spandit Posted at 11-7 01:34
You can be within 30m of people if taking off or landing, hence A is correct.

Yep, and you can get there be eliminating the other questions, because 40m is too low to fly over property and 150m is too high to fly.
2019-11-7
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

19/20

Recently passed my PfCO but not registered with the CAA yet as have to complete my Operations manual.

A bit p***** off that the above is not 'sufficient' enough for the CAA but at least the online 'test' is done in five mins.

More cash for the CAA ...

This bit in the confirmation email made laugh ...

'Your flyer ID is your acknowledgement of competency as a remote pilot.'

F***** d****
2019-11-8
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Its a stealth tax and has nothing to do with safety whatsoever
2019-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

*DM* Posted at 11-8 02:25
19/20

Recently passed my PfCO but not registered with the CAA yet as have to complete my Operations manual.

Which question did you get wrong?
2019-11-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-8 02:32
Which question did you get wrong?
Hey man

No idea. I flew through it during a coffee break and paid.
2019-11-8
Use props
MDSH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 334869 ft
United Kingdom

What annoys me is the constant changing between feet and metres.
Come on CAA - pick one and stick to it.
2019-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

MDSH Posted at 11-10 11:59
What annoys me is the constant changing between feet and metres.
Come on CAA - pick one and stick to it.

I think they're trying to trick people especially questions about max height.
2019-11-10
Use props
MJRH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23825 ft
United Kingdom

20/20, although I'm not convinced this will improve the safety awareness of those flying casually.
2019-11-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

*DM* Posted at 11-8 02:38
Hey man

No idea. I flew through it during a coffee break and paid.

Some of the questions answers are priceless.
Like this one.

2019-11-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

20/20 should be normal if people don't rush through this.
2019-11-12
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It really doesnt matter. Rush through it, scrape past, pay and tell them to f*** themselves for taking the money.

It's only us dimm, stupid, law obeying owner/idiots that will bother taking this sad excuse of a test to line the coffers of the CAA.

I bet no one will enforce the above. Same as with the commercial license.

Rant over. Go fly.
2019-11-15
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

I got 19/20 and got the one about the flower festival wrong that you need to be 50 metres from i choose 150 metres. Also the fact that you can not fly at any height above anywhere with more than a 1000 people does not seem to apply to helis, planes, airlines or anybody else. I think this is just a execise in getting money and all your personel details and i also have loads of pics and vids that i can never get money from without paying even more money for a pfco license.
2019-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

fans48f0c1a5 Posted at 11-17 03:08
I got 19/20 and got the one about the flower festival wrong that you need to be 50 metres from i choose 150 metres. Also the fact that you can not fly at any height above anywhere with more than a 1000 people does not seem to apply to helis, planes, airlines or anybody else. I think this is just a execise in getting money and all your personel details and i also have loads of pics and vids that i can never get money from without paying even more money for a pfco license.

The commercial side of things has been like that for a long while, that's nothing new.  I suspect even if you had a pfco your back catalogue still would not be sell-able.
2019-11-18
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 01:47
The commercial side of things has been like that for a long while, that's nothing new.  I suspect even if you had a pfco your back catalogue still would not be sell-able.

Does not having a pfco licence apply to this forum if people are getting points for pic/vid that can be converted into dji credit and what about skypixel or youtube?
2019-11-18
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Ashamed to say I go 18/20. My excuse was that I was at work on a rare day where I was in the Office instead of on site and the Warmth and comfort of my surroundings lulled my usually sharp senses. It is my excuse and I am sticking with it.

Must admit that I haven't really flown my drones in the last few months due to work and the amazing weather the UK has been against me every time the weekend rolls around.
2019-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

RK7dronzy Posted at 11-18 07:01
Does not having a pfco licence apply to this forum if people are getting points for pic/vid that can be converted into dji credit and what about skypixel or youtube?

Shhhhhh!!!  
2019-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It won’t be to long before CAA adopt new European drone rules.

2020-2-29
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2019-11-15 23:59
It really doesnt matter. Rush through it, scrape past, pay and tell them to f*** themselves for taking the money.

It's only us dimm, stupid, law obeying owner/idiots that will bother taking this sad excuse of a test to line the coffers of the CAA.

Bit strongly put yet perfectly true, we should all go fly our drones ( with a bit of common sense) instead of worrying about some people objecting to what we're doing. Probably the same people who object to kids kick a ball about!!
2020-3-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

100% - 20/20.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RK7dronzy Posted at 2019-11-18 07:01

No, as it’s not a monetary payment but internal credit to discount purchases which is why we don’t pay tax on it. In addition to the fact that you need 1,800 points for ten bucks - that’s 600 photo posts lol - I don’t think the CAA will seek to spend public funds on investigating you for a couple of quid off a battery!  
2020-8-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-8-16
Use props
Ziggy Malone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22848 ft
United Kingdom

I can see why experienced flyers - specially with proper certification can be frustrated by the CAA test.  As a newbie I found the test but more so the guidance and regulations sections quite liberating.  I had bought a drone for my son's birthday and only realised it needed registering when a friend mentioned it.  Bizarre that there was no explicit statement or warning from Amazon! We were worried about where you could fly and where you couldn't and what local councils can do and can't etc.

The CAA site was informative and after going through it and doing the test (and getting my son to do it) we're both much more confident on our responsibilities and our rights.

Personally though, I feel when you move higher up in the capabilites of the drones, some of the rules are a bit much - like the 'min 35m take off clearance' - really?  Like 10-15m ought to be enough clearance for stable DJI drones.  It's when you're with the cheaper less stable ones that you need more space in case of mishaps!

I think the UK regs need a bit of a relaxation but more to the point - they need to correct the misconceptions of other organisations like National Trust, who have got some pretty shocking untruths on their website justifying their reasons for not allowing drone flight from their properties...
2020-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ziggy Malone Posted at 10-21 00:59
I can see why experienced flyers - specially with proper certification can be frustrated by the CAA test.  As a newbie I found the test but more so the guidance and regulations sections quite liberating.  I had bought a drone for my son's birthday and only realised it needed registering when a friend mentioned it.  Bizarre that there was no explicit statement or warning from Amazon! We were worried about where you could fly and where you couldn't and what local councils can do and can't etc.

The CAA site was informative and after going through it and doing the test (and getting my son to do it) we're both much more confident on our responsibilities and our rights.

I think they're are catering for different types of drone,  there are many product out there including home built stuff that don't have the stabilisation and hover capability that a DJI product does.
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having already passed the Drone Pilots' Certificate in France issued by the DGAC meant that it was reasonably straightforward to take the UK equivalent when we got here in September. The difference being, in France the procedure is entirely FREE and the certificate is issued for 5 years.
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKPSG12 Posted at 2019-11-8 02:28
Its a stealth tax and has nothing to do with safety whatsoever

Aint that the truth! I did the French equivalent, which gives a certificate for five years and is entirely FREE!
Then had to cough up nine quid for effectively the same thing, renewable every year. Rip-off Britain.
2020-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 11:30
Having already passed the Drone Pilots' Certificate in France issued by the DGAC meant that it was reasonably straightforward to take the UK equivalent when we got here in September. The difference being, in France the procedure is entirely FREE and the certificate is issued for 5 years.

I agree about the cost,  I also have the French test under my belt.  And now you have to sticker up the craft too.
2020-10-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 00:40
I agree about the cost,  I also have the French test under my belt.  And now you have to sticker up the craft too.

Indelible marker would be less of an addition to the payload
2020-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-22 01:05
Indelible marker would be less of an addition to the payload

Until the codes change  next time.
2020-10-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 01:15
Until the codes change  next time.

Ah yes. And problematical on resale as well.  I concede the point
2020-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-22 01:18
Ah yes. And problematical on resale as well.  I concede the point

Never sold a drone myself but Id prefer for the number to be neater than just written on.
2020-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules