New to Drones, chose a DJI MM as first
883 14 2019-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans575b6cc4
lvl.2

United States

I've been following drones for a few years, and finally decided it was time to purchase a couple of them.
Ordered a DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Combo on Oct 30th from Best Buy with local pickup on Monday Nov 11th. Also ordered a Skydio2 on Oct 27th, but it has a 2nd Quarter 2020 delivery expectation.

Wanted a larger screen than than my Samsung S7 Active. I vaguely looked at iPad's, but decided to look elsewhere since I haven't used an Apple product since I was learning to write Pascal during High School in the 80's; so I also purchased a Huawei Mediapad M5 8.4", and a MavMount to hold it. This is my first tablet, and hopefully it will work well as a dedicated screen for the DJI MM.

I'm not new to flying, used to fly RC during the 90's, but stopped flying RC almost 20 years ago. The DJI MM should be the perfect machine for my entry into camera drones.

2019-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Always best to fly with a supported tablet,  be sure to make sure its on the list when the app is released.
2019-11-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Enjoy & Fly safe !!
2019-11-5
Use props
fans575b6cc4
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-5 23:36
Always best to fly with a supported tablet,  be sure to make sure its on the list when the app is released.

I agree, and wish DJI would publish a list of supported tablets for the Mavic Mini DJI FLY app. Since they haven't, I did the next best by reviewing lists for other DJI drones. The MediaPad M5 8.4" 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM was deemed an excellent dedicated screen for non-apple types like myself. Received the Huawei MediaPad M5 on Monday. The 2k display has an excellent view. It will be returned to Amazon if it doesn't work Mavic Mini DJI FLY app.
2019-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans575b6cc4 Posted at 11-6 03:11
I agree, and wish DJI would publish a list of supported tablets for the Mavic Mini DJI FLY app. Since they haven't, I did the next best by reviewing lists for other DJI drones. The MediaPad M5 8.4" 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM was deemed an excellent dedicated screen for non-apple types like myself. Received the Huawei MediaPad M5 on Monday. The 2k display has an excellent view. It will be returned to Amazon if it doesn't work Mavic Mini DJI FLY app.

Is it supported for the Go4 app?
2019-11-6
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great to know that! Congrats on your new drone, happy flying!
2019-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans575b6cc4 Posted at 11-6 03:11
I agree, and wish DJI would publish a list of supported tablets for the Mavic Mini DJI FLY app. Since they haven't, I did the next best by reviewing lists for other DJI drones. The MediaPad M5 8.4" 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM was deemed an excellent dedicated screen for non-apple types like myself. Received the Huawei MediaPad M5 on Monday. The 2k display has an excellent view. It will be returned to Amazon if it doesn't work Mavic Mini DJI FLY app.

I think you will be safe with that, if you flew before you’ll have no problem with gps drones, enjoy and good luck
2019-11-6
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good choice for a new drone. Safe flying.
2019-11-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello and welcome to DJI Forum, thank you for posting your query, I hope our DJI co pilots provide you the best recommendation and happy flying. Thank you.
2019-11-6
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats and welcome! Enjoy the sky and fly safe!
2019-11-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on the new bird.
2019-11-6
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

fans575b6cc4, one thing to watch for when you hook up the tablet to your Aircraft Controller, is IF the controller or tablet start charging their batteries from each other, if they don't you are home free, it only happens once in a while with different phone/tablets.    I've only flown my MPP a few times, maybe ten or fifteen times, due to many different things, they are a lot of fun.  I have been looking at a Bi-Plane in the AMA magazine, sure looks nice.  But am still learning the drone.  You'll have a lot of fun.  Have-at-it
2019-11-7
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Welcome and have fun ;)
Just mind that the Mavic Mini has no anti-collision sensors and it is ver tiny so careful with flying beyond line of sight ans specially with setting the hight for RTH as it will not stop if an obstacle is in front of it!
2019-11-7
Use props
tripntx
lvl.2

United States

HH1 Posted at 11-7 01:15
fans575b6cc4, one thing to watch for when you hook up the tablet to your Aircraft Controller, is IF the controller or tablet start charging their batteries from each other, if they don't you are home free, it only happens once in a while with different phone/tablets.    I've only flown my MPP a few times, maybe ten or fifteen times, due to many different things, they are a lot of fun.  I have been looking at a Bi-Plane in the AMA magazine, sure looks nice.  But am still learning the drone.  You'll have a lot of fun.  Have-at-it

Thanks, I'll be sure to watch for the phone to tablet charging issue.

2019-11-7
Use props
tripntx
lvl.2

United States

El Diabolico Posted at 11-7 02:32
Welcome and have fun ;)
Just mind that the Mavic Mini has no anti-collision sensors and it is ver tiny so careful with flying beyond line of sight ans specially with setting the hight for RTH as it will not stop if an obstacle is in front of it!

Even if it had sensors I'd be very leery of flying beyond line of sight, although experience will eventually allow me to be proficient flying at greater distances. I have watched a lot of the videos the beta testers have posted on the MM, as well as drones in general.
My take away concerns, and settings which should be for every location where I will be flying:
  • Max altitude limit, be realistic on how high it should fly (spent 21 yrs in USAF, and I do not want to be the cause of any aviation hazards), max altitude can change when flying in new areas, which means it should not be set & forget
  • Return To Home altitude settings, needs to be high enough to avoid highest point in the local area but it shouldn't be overly exagorated to high either, this is not a set & forget setting as it will need to be looked at every your flying location changes
  • Flying distance limit is another setting that I plan to evaluate every time I fly
  • Interested in adding a red and green light to front corners, and a white light to aft
  • Need to ensure GPS is locked on take off location be every flight
  • Be cognizant of where people are located when flying because it would be very bad if a drone dropped out of the sky and struck someone in the head, or caused an accident from falling onto a roadway

Those are just a few of the items I have cued on from watching videos, as well as from prior experience RC Planes.

2019-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules