1320 3 2019-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeromeM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178793 ft
United States

Hi.
I am new in the forum. I am waiting my purchase (Mavic Air) and during this time I am looking at the different post. Thanks for all your great information, it is amazing the level of information I could find in this forum

Could someone explain the maximum altitude authorized is related to the highest building or the ground level?  
I am living in China and the highest level is 120m but some post are showing the top of the building which is over 300m.

Thanks for your feedback
2019-11-10
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

In most cases, countries, it is a AGL, above ground level
Meaning  (in China) 120m  higher as the ground UNDER the drone!

Some countries (I just have singapore in mind, right now) it is AMSL, above mean sea level.
Which means it is an absolute height over sea level, so on some hills you can't even start  your bird, because you are already over the granted "no permission needed"  200ft (61m) AMSL!

For the videos, showing top of higher chinese buildings in the middle of the frame, there is to assume that the bird flew higher, as the legal height for drones WITHOUT extra permission was.
It can be, that the people had a permission. Or they did not care.
(Like the guy who did land in about 470m AGL in the window of the Shanghai world financial center (490m) , to get over the 500m Limit for his Mavic Air, to capture the Shanghai Tower (635m) from about 950m height!)
There is ,in some drone communities, a discussion, if starting on a skys crapper in an AGL area would mean, that you could fly the max height OVER the sky scrappers height.
But even in case that would be "ok", as soon you fly your drone over the edge, you are some hundred meters to high.

I would suggest, and that is what I do/did, not only in China, I orientate myself FIRST on my positions height  PLUS max legal flight height.
On/around sea level/a flat area it is max (in China) 120 m
At the great wall, on 700-1100m altitude, it was max 120m on top of that.
But since there are sloopes on both sides of the wall, I mostly kept it lower as 120m over HP, anyway

Have nice flights in China!
You know that you need to register your Air online?
2019-11-10
Use props
JeromeM
lvl.4
China

Thanks for your feedback.

I also think I should pay attention if I use at the RTH. If it is not heigh enough I could met an issue with building on the way

For the register of the Mavic Air, I know I need to do it.  After which website I am not sure yet. I have still 2/3 weeks.
2019-11-10
Use props
JeromeM
lvl.4
China

Thanks for your feedback.

I also think I should pay attention if I use at the RTH. If it is not heigh enough I could met an issue with building on the way

For the register of the Mavic Air, I know I need to do it.  After which website I am not sure yet. I have still 2/3 weeks.
2019-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules