Is it worth sending in for repair?
1098 10 2019-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 410499 ft
United States

I have a Phantom 4 Pro.  I haven't flown it much in the past 3 years because I've been traveling for work, and in part because there are some problems.  I don't know if it'd be worth it to send it out to get it fixed.  I don't know what the testing entails.  
1) The transmitter shows it charges fully in that it shows full 4 full lights and shuts off.  When I turn it on, it shows only 3/4 charge and only 3 lights appear.  It does not seem to hold a charge as long as it used to.  I suspect that it simply needs a new battery.

2) The range is greatly diminished.  I am not able to fly out as far as I used to before the video breaks up and I am unable to see what I'm shooting.  This really hampers shooting what I am trying to shoot.

3) The batterys I have seem to run at low voltage.  I haven't flown in awhile so I don't recall what is...12 or 13 volts...but the flight time doesn't seem to be impacted.  I am guessing that I need to replace the batteries.

I'll be returning home in a couple of weeks and hope to be back shooting what I usually shoot, but at this point I'm wondering if it'd be worth the cost of getting repaired.  

2019-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Antares Fortune. I am sorry to read about the issues of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro and thank you for reaching out. As of this time the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is still one of the best drones DJI created. Since you are experiencing these issues on the said drone and on the remote controller as well. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this issue.  Just a friendly reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone and the said remote controller to avoid further damaging the said unit. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for your support.
2019-11-10
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-10 12:13
Hello and good day Antares Fortune. I am sorry to read about the issues of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro and thank you for reaching out. As of this time the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is still one of the best drones DJI created. Since you are experiencing these issues on the said drone and on the remote controller as well. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this issue.  Just a friendly reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone and the said remote controller to avoid further damaging the said unit. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

Thanks for the response.   Though I won't be home for a couple of weeks, I will contact the repair center.
2019-11-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are they all on the latest firmwares? the distance problem was an issue with an older firmware
2019-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Antares Fortune Posted at 11-10 13:38
Thanks for the response.   Though I won't be home for a couple of weeks, I will contact the repair center.

You are very much welcome Antares Fortune. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you.
2019-11-11
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-10 19:49
Are they all on the latest firmwares? the distance problem was an issue with an older firmware

They were as of the last time I flew it.  

I flew it for some time with no issues.  The last few times I've flown it, it has been hard get the range I need out of it.
2019-11-11
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

I haven't followed up on this as I was away from home for work, then when I got home I was running around for Thanksgiving.

Now that I have a chance, I realize I missed calling the service center by 15 minutes.  At least when I looked it up.

I plan on submitting repair request online and hope that I will be able to explain everything in enough detail.

The reason I phrased my question the way I did is this.
My concern is that this is not the first time I have sent the unit in for repair.  Each time it has gone in and I have gotten it back, I have had to send it back again because the repairs have not been done properly the first time.  The last time I got it back it was experiencing a problem, but because of work (I have been traveling for the past 3 years) I have not had much chance of doing much about it.  I have not received it back properly repaired since it was originally sent in. (One of the things I did not mention in this topic is that I have an issue that I mentioned some time back that was never resolved.  This is due in no fault to DJI, but  mainly because I didn't follow up on it since I ended up being shipped out for work.)   I also realize that because of the time frame involved, it is not reasonable, nor do I expect, that DJI would consider this part of the previous repair attempts.

I also realize that the battery issues are likely the result of sitting for such a long period of time.  While part of that is due to my extensive traveling and part of it is the fact that I've been so discouraged I haven't felt like flying it, it is in no way the fault of DJI.  However, now that I am back home and done traveling for work for the foreseeable future I am looking forward to getting back in the air and getting some boat pictures.

I want to be clear here.  I am not trying to complain about DJI.  I want to get back in the air and I am honestly wondering if it is worth attempting a repair at this point or just go with another unit.
2019-12-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Antares Fortune Posted at 12-6 18:10
I haven't followed up on this as I was away from home for work, then when I got home I was running around for Thanksgiving.

Now that I have a chance, I realize I missed calling the service center by 15 minutes.  At least when I looked it up.

Considering there is no aircraft out there that is as good as a P4Pro and you cannot buy them any longer, yes, it would be worth getting it repaired
2019-12-6
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

*sigh*

The drone is in for repair.  $610.   They say there is a 'middle frame stress crack.'  When I call to inquire about it, and why there is nothing on the invoice about it, the woman on the phone goes on and on about something, but for the life of me I can't understand her.  It sounds like they're either going to repair or replace it, but I can barely understand her.  So for $600 I'm either getting it repaired or replaced.  If it is replaced, it will be the 2nd time I have been sent back a drone that I didn't send in.

So now I'm waiting to hear why the stress crack wasn't addressed on the invoice.
2019-12-23
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

It is repaired on on the way back.  I should have it the middle of next week.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
2020-1-3
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

Good news.  I finally had a chance to get out and fly.  After a relatively short flight, it appears that most of the problems have been resolved.   I didn't really test the range/video breakup issue.  I only went out to about 750 feet and I'm usually at least twice that.  I'll look into that in subsequent flights.  I am hopeful, though.  The camera shake looks fixed, but I'll know better when I am out where I usually fly.  It tends to be a bit more breezy there than it is here right now.

Just figured since I had an issue I should check back in and say that it looks promising.  
2020-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules