7953 12 2019-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_G9km0LVbSWEQ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Hi,

While waiting for my shiny new Mini to arrive I was reading the manual. On page 34 it says...

Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Fly. Contact your wireless carrier for data charges.

I've watched many videos and several useres were using wifi only tablets. What is that line in the manual refering to?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Thanks

2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for posting your inquiry for the DJI Mavic Mini. For the cellular data indicated on the page 34 of the DJI Mavic Mini manual, you can use data or wifi for updating and logging in to your DJI account. Once all needed updates are complete and you are logged to your DJI account on your DJI Fly application, you can fly the drone without using your cellular or Wifi services. If you have further queries feel free to DJI Forum. Thank you.
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_G9km0LVbSWEQ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-12 12:55
Hi, thank you for posting your inquiry for the DJI Mavic Mini. For the cellular data indicated on the page 34 of the DJI Mavic Mini manual, you can use data or wifi for updating and logging in to your DJI account. Once all needed updates are complete and you are logged to your DJI account on your DJI Fly application, you can fly the drone without using your cellular or Wifi services. If you have further queries feel free to DJI Forum. Thank you.

Thank you very much, that's good to hear. Now I have to go back to waiting patiently for you guys to ship my order.

Thanks.
2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_G9km0LVbSWEQ Posted at 11-12 12:57
Thank you very much, that's good to hear. Now I have to go back to waiting patiently for you guys to ship my order.

Thanks.

You're very much welcome, If you have any inquiries or concern, please don't hesitate to contact us at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_1SCY6rMwiBAR
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-12 13:50
You're very much welcome, If you have any inquiries or concern, please don't hesitate to contact us at DJI Forum. Thank you.

Yes, thank you for the clarification. My mini is set to arrive Tuesday and I was planning to use a device without data service. Just to be clear, can I log onto the App, without the controller and drone turned on and then travel out of wifi range with the device before flying, or does the controller have to be connected and  turned on before launching the App, meaning that I could only travel a limited distance before flying? Last, if the controller has to be on before launching the App, after signing in, can it then be turned off and remain logged into Fly, and then turned back on once I reached the area I intend to fly at? As an example, if I were in a campground, with wifi, but intended to hike an hour away to fly, would I be able to launch the App, log in and then hike to the area I wish to fly at, and at that point turn on the controller and drone, saving the batteries?
2020-1-19
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_1SCY6rMwiBAR Posted at 1-19 15:39
Yes, thank you for the clarification. My mini is set to arrive Tuesday and I was planning to use a device without data service. Just to be clear, can I log onto the App, without the controller and drone turned on and then travel out of wifi range with the device before flying, or does the controller have to be connected and  turned on before launching the App, meaning that I could only travel a limited distance before flying? Last, if the controller has to be on before launching the App, after signing in, can it then be turned off and remain logged into Fly, and then turned back on once I reached the area I intend to fly at? As an example, if I were in a campground, with wifi, but intended to hike an hour away to fly, would I be able to launch the App, log in and then hike to the area I wish to fly at, and at that point turn on the controller and drone, saving the batteries?

You can fly without it. But you won't have things that load from data like the maps. I turn airplane mode on shortly before take off after everything is loaded and ready to go.
2020-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, thank you for the clarification. My mini is set to arrive Tuesday and I was planning to use a device without data service. Just to be clear, can I log onto the App, without the controller and drone turned on and then travel out of wifi range with the device before flying, or does the controller have to be connected and  turned on before launching the App, meaning that I could only travel a limited distance before flying? Last, if the controller has to be on before launching the App, after signing in, can it then be turned off and remain logged into Fly, and then turned back on once I reached the area I intend to fly at? As an example, if I were in a campground, with wifi, but intended to hike an hour away to fly, would I be able to launch the App, log in and then hike to the area I wish to fly at, and at that point turn on the controller and drone, saving the batteries?

can I log onto the App, without the controller and drone turned on and then travel out of wifi range with the device before flying, or does the controller have to be connected and  turned on before launching the App
You don't need any internet connection to fly.
None at all and you can fly out in the middle of the desert or ocean.
Many flyers use wifi onlt tablets and fly without any difficulty.
I know because I do.
2020-1-19
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I use my Mini completely offline, data was needed just for the activation and firmware checking that I accomplish at home, not on the field.
2020-1-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Yes, thank you for the clarification. My mini is set to arrive Tuesday and I was planning to use a device without data service. Just to be clear, can I log onto the App, without the controller and drone turned on and then travel out of wifi range with the device before flying, or does the controller have to be connected and  turned on before launching the App, meaning that I could only travel a limited distance before flying? Last, if the controller has to be on before launching the App, after signing in, can it then be turned off and remain logged into Fly, and then turned back on once I reached the area I intend to fly at? As an example, if I were in a campground, with wifi, but intended to hike an hour away to fly, would I be able to launch the App, log in and then hike to the area I wish to fly at, and at that point turn on the controller and drone, saving the batteries?

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. Upon receiving the DJI Mavic Mini you will need connect it to the data or WiFi to activate the said drone and update the firmware. Once you are logged in and the firmware is up to date you can fly the drone in a location with no Wifi or data service. You will stay logged in to your DJI account as long as you don't log out or uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application. You can open the DJI Fly application and you will still stay signed in even if the remote and drone is turned off. If you have further concern or inquiry please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-1-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

m80116 Posted at 1-19 16:27
I use my Mini completely offline, data was needed just for the activation and firmware checking that I accomplish at home, not on the field.

Thats the same for me, I even turn airplane mode and then turn the App, once you login from your house Wifi for example, each time you start the App you are loged in.
Gps map works, fly logs work, everything works...
2020-1-20
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259 ft
United States

I just sent the iPad 4 Mini with Cellular back to Amazon because the volume button wasn’t working. It was a refurbished model. I can purchase the new mini “5” without cellular for not much more. I will not be using the cellular service anyway. Does the built in GPS on the Cellular models serve me any purpose at all if I do not use a service provider?
2020-1-20
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I turn off wifi and cellular when I fly (airplane mode).   You don’t get pretty maps, but that  is not important anyway
2020-1-20
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Flatline74 Posted at 1-20 15:05
I just sent the iPad 4 Mini with Cellular back to Amazon because the volume button wasn’t working. It was a refurbished model. I can purchase the new mini “5” without cellular for not much more. I will not be using the cellular service anyway. Does the built in GPS on the Cellular models serve me any purpose at all if I do not use a service provider?

Ipad GPS is only useful if you intend setting the home point to another position, while the drone is flying.
The revised home point takes the GPS reading from the ipad, you could however just land the AC again and reset the home point based on the new landing point using the AC gps.

But having cellular running is useful if you want real time mapping etc.
I like it as I can't be bothered hot spotting the phone or caching the maps (cached maps in IOS disappear after the app is turned off)
2020-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules