Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI makes app to identify drones and find pilots
7987 164 2019-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 16:03
I think criminals are instinctive by nature, so if they need a drone from somebody they’ll go find someone using it and take it, don’t believe they will get an app and search the county looking for someone flying one on an app.
Most criminals are thick dumb and those who are not are not out stealing drones, I have never gone out flying thinking I could be mugged at any minute and if this was the case I wouldn’t go out at all.
I think we can get carried away here, the privacy is a serious problem, but not the criminals hunting on apps for a mavic pro2 .

most criminals are opportunistic...they pick easier targets and targets least likely to get them caught while commiting.  this app presents a lot of opportunity, including  menu to pick from.  add to this that most pilots fly in more isolated areas to avoid attention and even fly alone many times.  literally a wet dream for someone looking to steal such products.  and with dji basically refusing to add in an account lock out system for stolen drones (like iPhones have the option for)  its basically open season for black and grey markets on this sh*t.

criminals are sometimes even more brazen then you believe.  sometimes wont even matter if there are people around.  back before iPhones had activation lock, "apple picking" was a common thing. just running past people with iPhones and ripping it out of their hands, or even some cases of people carefully cutting out pockets on people to steal iPhones. think about it as a risk to reward situation.. even if risk of being caught is high, if the reward is good enough its worth it to them.
2019-11-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sure hope USA's FAA puts in place - No Anonymous Reporting or Accusations with DJI Drone/User ID App.  Otherwise this App is ripe for abuse.  
Under USA Law we have Right to face our accuser.  However, we have already seen the Right violated with draconian "Red Flag" laws.  Identity of reporter is kept secret, and you don't get your day in court.

Drone owners should be automatically provided Identification Information of any person using DJI's Drone/User ID to report the Drone/User ID.  Along with Drone owners being warned of nearby users of App; in case one of users is a bad guy.
2019-11-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

JodyB Posted at 11-15 13:19
Areoscope (made by DJI) doesn't use the phone or tablet to gain information. It intercepts the transmission between the controller and the drone and deciphers that data. Check out this video for more of how that works.

Nice on!

And here its, what has changed in the past 2 years:
2017: Dji is saying it will not be available for consumers. (around 6:20)
2019: Something like this will be available FOR EVERYONE with a smartphone and the downloaded app!

Did I get that right?
2019-11-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 13:21
So no I’d out there just goes to show that if criminals want it they’ll get it, if you had better policing then maybe the crime wouldn’t happen and isn’t this what djis ultimate goal is better policing of drone flying, someone above said no one has been killed because of a drone, it looks like this was a pretty close one.

Criminals don’t need to look up apps to find out where drone flyers are, it’s the guy with the RC it’s easy .

Right, but now they can even check out, that it is the model of a drone, they would like to have, someone has requested them to steal.
Come on, authorities, airports, ok, why not.
But every phone owner?

I see a tendency, instead of buying DJI drones, to built DIY drones, in the future
2019-11-15
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-15 03:18
Not a fan of that either but your cell phone isn't broadcasting your location to everyone & anyone with a cellphone.

Agreed......
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

S-e-ven Posted at 11-15 23:03
Right, but now they can even check out, that it is the model of a drone, they would like to have, someone has requested them to steal.
Come on, authorities, airports, ok, why not.
But every phone owner?

Don’t believe everything you hear about criminals, if most of them had an ounce of sense they wouldn’t be criminals .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-15 16:38
most criminals are opportunistic...they pick easier targets and targets least likely to get them caught while commiting.  this app presents a lot of opportunity, including  menu to pick from.  add to this that most pilots fly in more isolated areas to avoid attention and even fly alone many times.  literally a wet dream for someone looking to steal such products.  and with dji basically refusing to add in an account lock out system for stolen drones (like iPhones have the option for)  its basically open season for black and grey markets on this sh*t.

criminals are sometimes even more brazen then you believe.  sometimes wont even matter if there are people around.  back before iPhones had activation lock, "apple picking" was a common thing. just running past people with iPhones and ripping it out of their hands, or even some cases of people carefully cutting out pockets on people to steal iPhones. think about it as a risk to reward situation.. even if risk of being caught is high, if the reward is good enough its worth it to them.

90% of criminals are idiots otherwise they wouldn’t be criminals, I wouldn’t be inclined to give them so much credit, there are almost no attacks on drone flyers and there are literally millions of them so your phone analogy is not operating with drones otherwise we would see a lot more random attacks on drone flyers as you say happened on iPhone owners.

A set of golf clubs value 3/5k every criminal knows they only have to jump a fence clock the golfer and be off with a commodity that would be far easier to sell than a drone, yet it doesn’t happen.
So known where the goods are doesn’t mean an attack is imminent.

The biggest problem with FAA passing this on US drone flyers is privacy the rest is just fear mongering .
2019-11-16
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659580 ft
United Kingdom

Privacy aside, most drone flyers and I include myself have very little defence against a group wishing to take my drone, and additionally we are quite often in a secluded area so not to indirectly intimidate general public. I take the points from previous post above, but golfers don’t play alone, there are always other players behind and in front, and additionally a swinging golf club is a good deterrent to would be mugger than swinging a MP2.
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-15 13:34
this is literally a app proposal not a seperate device.  how it will retrieve this info is in question.  but not hard to imagine that dji will just force enable the beaconing system already baked into DJI Go 4 (by default is enabled but unpopulated at the moment for non aeroscope tracking) and port the variables over cellular/wifi in the background for anyone to pickup with the app that's being proposed.

It's the same principle. The cell phone that I have in my hand at the moment has all the same hardware capabilities as aeroscope. All it needs is the software, say from said app that is the subject here and it would then have the capability of doing exactly what aeroscope does, just on a smaller scale. Doing it that way, it could be given to anybody who has access to a cell phone or other device.

I'm not arguing here, just pointing out that the technology already exists only in a different form and availabilty today as to what a freely available app will more than likely bring later.

If it does come down the pipe, I hope it's use is pretty crippled. Whether I gave permission or not, I wouldn't want an incident like the stabbing that was mentioned happening to anyone.
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 11-15 22:58
Nice on!

And here its, what has changed in the past 2 years:

Aeroscope, in the form it is currently, isn't available to the general public, and for intensive purposes will not be. Only for those that regulate air space, like military, airports, FAA type entities, etc etc.

As for the app, I supposed we will have to wait for official word from DJI. And I hope that word is, they aren't going to do it.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-15 15:50
This wasn't a case of someone nearly killed BY a drone but by a PERSON intent on STEALING a drone.   Not even sure how to process comparing the two.  

Thanks to DJI, criminals won't need to do anything.  Just load up DJI's nifty app, wait a bit, & it will lead them right to their quarry.

It would be almost ridiculous for any criminal to try steal a drone that everyone knows where it is as it can now be identified, I’m certain he would have the cops the vigilantes and anyone else bare down on him as soon as he took off, but criminals are dumb.

Maybe this will act as a safety option against anyone trying to steal a drone, the opposite to what your saying .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedWolf18 Posted at 11-16 04:00
Privacy aside, most drone flyers and I include myself have very little defence against a group wishing to take my drone, and additionally we are quite often in a secluded area so not to indirectly intimidate general public. I take the points from previous post above, but golfers don’t play alone, there are always other players behind and in front, and additionally a swinging golf club is a good deterrent to would be mugger than swinging a MP2.

Surely if your drone can be clearly identified wherever it flies then it’s pretty much useless to anyone except you, why would a criminal steal a drone that can be fully traced wherever it flies .
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 05:04
Surely if your drone can be clearly identified wherever it flies then it’s pretty much useless to anyone except you, why would a criminal steal a drone that can be fully traced wherever it flies .

Thats never stopped a criminal yet. I know, it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges here but here is the USA, if you are a convicted felon, you aren't supposed to have a gun in your possession. But a lot of them do. Some of them do a lot of things they aren't supposed to. And around here, if someone can steal something, it wouldn't be for their own use, it would be to make a quick sell in order to get their next fix of drugs.

It's kind of a scary thing for some. Myself included if I let myself thing about it. Only thing I can do is try to be ready for any kind of encounter. But mostly, I just want to enjoy a day out flying and being with my family, in peace.
2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Betting most stolen drones are not re-sold as a drone.  Instead, stolen drones are disassembled for parts.  
Similar to cars, stolen and taken to "Chop Shops" for parts.

Along lines of S-e-ven's comment... Some will look to either DIY drones with open source software, or they will look to other drone companies.  

As for criminals, they are not as dumb as people believe.  DJI's Drone ID App could be used to identify people who have far more to steal than merely drone out in a field.
Would a criminal want to rob home of someone who owns only a Mavic Mini?  As ID by DJI's App.
Or would criminal rather rob home of someone who owns Mavic Mini, Mavic Pro, Phantom, and Inspire?    To a criminal all those drones point to home also having an expensive computer system or high laptop, along with 4K TV.  And chance of semi-pro DSLR / Mirror-less Cameras and associated expensive Lenses and Flashes.  Easily pawned.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LMAO, Criminals lining up to steal drones, for parts because the parts market is huge well I think there are a lot more lucrative  options criminals could opt for than selling drone parts, let’s see an IMU for a M2 the market is huge or it will need to be because this part should fetch $2 on the black market.
Fear mongering that’s all that’s going on here, it’s incredible no one seems to mind the simple fact that their privacy might be in jeopardy, it’s time to get real our privacy is worth a 1000 times what our drone is worth, I think if lobbyists try to stop this on the grounds that drones would be stolen for parts, then they will be met by hysterics from authorities.

2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 07:50
I'm sorry but I find this suggestion as baffling as equating death by drone with death by thug stealing a drone.  

How is this supposed to make it safer?  Is everyone going to get a pop-up notice that a drone is flying nearby & they all flock to the location to check out the operator?   It's a bit of a stretch to promote a total invasion of privacy as some sort of safety feature.

I can promise that everyone won’t rack up to watch someone flying a drone, I’m amazed by some drone flyers, they want permission to fly in parks but now it seems only if people are removed and likewise for many other locations, it’s amazing you don’t feel safe flying your drone but you still fly it, I don’t have any problems flying my drone nor have I ever been accosted and do you know why, it’s because 90% of people don’t give a sh#t about drone flyers.

Look this is very simple, this is a privacy issue, it doesn’t need dragging every criminal to prove its point, everyone is entitled to privacy it’s much more important than drones being stolen for parts which incidentally is ridiculous, criminals are not seeking out drone users as targets , look at your own analysis about drone accidents and apply the same to criminals targeting drone flyers, it doesn’t happen and it’s not going to escalate into the new found crime wealth for selling drone parts or easy mugging, those arguments fall into same category as your example of none or few accidents regarding drones, it’s a total fear mongering exercise .
2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 08:08
Your golf analogy is just bad.  Golf courses here are extremely popular & crowded with lots of folks golfing on huge, open, expanses of private property.  Some thug is supposed to wander onto a golf course, scope out a mark with a sweet bag of clubs, bop them on the head, grab the bag, & hoof it out of there across the fairway?  All while carrying a loaded golf bag over their shoulder?  Not even accounting for the fact that the intended victim is sporting a bag full of potentially lethal tools with which to thwart the robbery?  

You don't hear about this happening because it is preposterously implausible.   Sometimes it's best to say, "You're right.  This is really a bad idea."

The analogy is even more ludicrous when one has knowledge of Golfing.  Decent set of clubs are cut to proper length to fit height and stances (right or wrong) of golfer.  Thus making a golfer's decent set of clubs of lesser value than brand new, uncut set stolen from club house.

2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 08:15
I can promise that everyone won’t rack up to watch someone flying a drone, I’m amazed by some drone flyers, they want permission to fly in parks but now it seems only if people are removed and likewise for many other locations, it’s amazing you don’t feel safe flying your drone but you still fly it, I don’t have any problems flying my drone nor have I ever been accosted and do you know why, it’s because 90% of people don’t give a sh#t about drone flyers.

Look this is very simple, this is a privacy issue, it doesn’t need dragging every criminal to prove its point, everyone is entitled to privacy it’s much more important than drones being stolen for parts which incidentally is ridiculous, criminals are not seeking out drone users as targets , look at your own analysis about drone accidents and apply the same to criminals targeting drone flyers, it doesn’t happen and it’s not going to escalate into the new found crime wealth for selling drone parts or easy mugging, those arguments fall into same category as your example of none or few accidents regarding drones, it’s a total fear mongering exercise .

"criminals are not seeking out drone users as targets , look at your own  analysis about drone accidents and apply the same to criminals targeting  drone flyers, it doesn’t happen"

Possibly because it is not as easy as it will be...   Once DJI puts out an App that IDs drone and user.   

App which will be available for both iOS and Android.  An App which chances are will be Free.  An app that will likely require no registration for use of.

2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 08:08
Your golf analogy is just bad.  Golf courses here are extremely popular & crowded with lots of folks golfing on huge, open, expanses of private property.  Some thug is supposed to wander onto a golf course, scope out a mark with a sweet bag of clubs, bop them on the head, grab the bag, & hoof it out of there across the fairway?  All while carrying a loaded golf bag over their shoulder?  Not even accounting for the fact that everyone around is sporting a bag full of potentially lethal tools with which to thwart a robbery?  

You don't hear about this happening because it is preposterously implausible.   Sometimes it's best to say, "You're right.  This is really a bad idea."

Again don’t always think that the US is the only place in the world, your thinking of the US only, but there are many countries that have very beautiful golf courses that are not populated by houses and people going around in tartan drawers, I over look a championship golf course which has played home to British Amateur championship and many pro events both Irish and European tournaments, but on a Monday morning I can see few or many golfers enjoying their golf, far away from any houses.
There’s a big world out there .

You’ll see golf course on the right not a single house on it except clubhouse and 90% of all golf courses both here and UK would be the same.
So easy target mmmmmm....
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 08:31
Again don’t always think that the US is the only place in the world, your thinking of the US only, but there are many countries that have very beautiful golf courses that are not populated by houses and people going around in tartan drawers, I over look a championship golf course which has played home to British Amateur championship and many pro events both Irish and European tournaments, but on a Monday morning I can see few or many golfers enjoying their golf, far away from any houses.
There’s a big world out there .[view_image]

99% of golf clubs are sold off the shelf, a set of fitted golf clubs now that would set you back .
2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 07:50
I'm sorry but I find this suggestion as baffling as equating "death by drone" with "death by thug stealing a drone".  

How is this supposed to make it safer?  Is everyone going to get a pop-up notice that a drone is flying nearby & they all flock to the location to check out the operator?   It's a bit of a stretch to promote a total invasion of privacy as some sort of safety feature.

"DJI could flag stolen drones that connect to their servers right now but they don't/won't."

Which as you hint at, likely points to DJI's ID drone / user App as having more to do with Data collection.  Get people to install said App, which can then mointor their location, habbits, and possibly upload personal data and pictures. Not as likely on iOS, because Apple tends to restrict what Apps can access and do.  Requiring iOS user's often to agree to access and do.

2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 08:36
The issue is primarily personal safety.  Broadcasting people's location to anyone with a cellphone is just a bad idea.   Perhaps a technology demonstration is in order?  We get all the DJI brass, along with advocates for this proposal, to broadcast their exact location 24/7.  The public gets a "DJI Brass Monitoring App" where we get alerted to their ID, presence, & precise location, in real time, whenever they are near.  Just in case customers want to stop by to say "Hi!" or get an autograph.

Also it isn't just the drone that will attract criminal interest.  It's everything the typical pilot has with them while flying.  Drone (perhaps multiple), camera, cell phone, tablet, wallet, cash, credit cards, vehicle.  Not too shabby just for following the nice DJI app to a pilot's secluded location.

I'm inclined to agree with you Dirty Bird. But like here in the states with the politics and fire arms, we have certain platforms that wish to take our fire arms, while they remain protected by body guards with the very same fire arms that they wish to take away from every normal law abiding citizen of this country.

This is only my personal opinion, Which carries no weight what so ever, but I can about guarantee that the DJI brass would be excluded from the peg the drones app. I don't think such a thing is worth it for our "safety". I think it would cause more harm than protect.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 08:36
The issue is primarily personal safety.  Broadcasting people's location to anyone with a cellphone is just a bad idea.   Perhaps a technology demonstration is in order?  We get all the DJI brass, along with advocates for this proposal, to broadcast their exact location 24/7.  The public gets a "DJI Brass Monitoring App" where we get alerted to their ID, presence, & precise location, in real time, whenever they are near.  Just in case customers want to stop by to say "Hi!" or get an autograph.

Also it isn't just the drone that will attract criminal interest.  It's everything the typical pilot has with them while flying.  Drone (perhaps multiple), camera, cell phone, tablet, wallet, cash, credit cards, vehicle.  Not too shabby just for following the nice DJI app to a pilot's secluded location.

Again your going down the ridiculous route, this is a privacy matter, it doesn’t need this fear mongering, you seem to ignore the fact that you vehemently speak out against fear mongering regarding problems or accidents regarding drones, this is very similar, like how many people have been  mugged for thei drones had their camera equipment stolen wallets stolen left for dead, you have no proof you don’t even have anything to measure this by, all you have is your need to believe the hysterical fear mongers, who offer nothing except to say if the criminals know where you are they will attack leave you for dead for your drone, hogwash I’ve been hawking lots of camera gear around for years and there are literally thousands who do the same in my country their not hard to find but apart from a few burglaries photographers are not targets for criminals, yet the carry huge amounts of equipment .
Why are photographers not targets they live and work in the open
Why are mountain bikers not targets they operate on known trails easy targets and cycle bikes costing 1000s $
So many hobbyists doing so many things with so much valuable equipment in the open under the noses of criminals but they are not targets.
But you claim that drone users will become huge targets of criminals for drones that well at least 80% will be worth $1800 New on the black market for parts $200 , it really doesn’t add up.

Of course criminals target many of the areas above but it’s not an epidemic and the chances of it happening to anyone is minute and if people want to put their energy into stopping FAA implementing this the criminal conspiracy would be bottom of any barrel for those lobbying.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 08:50
Who said anything about wanting parks emptied of people?  I feel perfectly safe flying.  I've never had a bad encounter.  I just don't want my location broadcast.  It should be obvious that this is a bad, unsafe, idea.  Substitute "woman" for "drone operator" in the proposal & the reason becomes clear.

As far as ot not happening, it just happened to the guy who got stabbed by thieves to steal his drone.  DJI"s bizarre "Here's the Pilot" app will just make such incidents easier & more commonplace.

Yes but nobody gives a sh#t where you or I am flying drones, incidentally I’m certainly not advocating this, the fact is FAA are the at this stage the only group calling for this, the fact that dji already has this software just puts them ahead of the game, if FAA bring this in then it’s other manufacturers that could suffer, but as a privacy issue I don’t think FAA can force this on anyone.
I think it’s likely to be optional and probably used by commercial .
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 03:04
90% of criminals are idiots otherwise they wouldn’t be criminals, I wouldn’t be inclined to give them so much credit, there are almost no attacks on drone flyers and there are literally millions of them so your phone analogy is not operating with drones otherwise we would see a lot more random attacks on drone flyers as you say happened on iPhone owners.

A set of golf clubs value 3/5k every criminal knows they only have to jump a fence clock the golfer and be off with a commodity that would be far easier to sell than a drone, yet it doesn’t happen.

i'm not sure of the statistics on it, probably about right, 90% are prob idiots and/or smash and grabbers, but at the same time those are the worst sorts, less predictable and more greedy and out of control and dangerous.   these are the sorts of people that stabbed that pilot over their drone in the UK.  

as for your  gold club example, good example. im sure there are people stealing extremely exotic golf clubs and getting away with it because not doing it at a high enough rate to draw eyes to them.  but it is incredibly hard to tell actual value of clubs from a decent distance to pick a target to jump on. i can point you to several bags of clubs that are effectively worthless and can be found donated to a thrift store but would be hard to tell from across the field.   also a grading scale of value when it comes to such items like is it dented, bent, scuffed, missing pieces,  etc etc etc.   plus sometimes to even know which clubs are even good you need to have hands on them. otherwise wont know if its real exostic materials or fake.  like carbon fiber and titanium or if it just looks that way.     
but when it comes to theives picking high $ item to take, i would say most arent stupid, most ben taili angnd tracking someone for a while, may even gotten very close as firned to someone over months of time before going through wih an action and either disappearing or playing dumb and clueless to it happening.   thats how most high dollar robberies and such happen.  i mean i m sure you may even been cased anf followed for a whil at ome point, most people if they present themselves as having any kind of money.. like bein a golfer or drone flyer or havign a nice car, chances are strong someone decided to case you out briefly at very least.  i know i have encountered it a couple times, people existered where shouldnt been and following my routines where are fairly unique because i dont follow a set sceduale for many things, and if they ar the 10% of smart criminals and they realize you are making counter survalance moves they usually vanish, they rather not put up with that risk.  these 2 people definatly did vanish after i made it very clear with abrupt changes in my patterns and made some very clear counter survalance moves like when i saw their specific car, i busted down a side stereet thats 1 way only goign the wrong way and took huge trips on highways to go to places just in town. they vanished from my life since.
2019-11-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it's going to be on the M3 only so everyone relax.  If you don't want it, then don't upgrade.  If they aren't sticking a 4/3" on the M3 then I'm not sure why it would even be worth upgrading to unless they increase the HDR stops to 15 on the 1" and/or have 3x zoom capability.  Autonomous Skydio 2 capabilities alone imo aren't worth it.

"DJI said it would roll out its Remote ID capabilities once its obligations were more clear. It could apply the changes to drone models dating back “several years”, it said." - Some people are still running 1.00 on the M2 with full unlocks on an older DJI Go4 App Mod.
2019-11-16
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

On the basis of DJI statement, it will be public free to use. I can live with albeit not convinced it’s ok to monitor a drone, but pinpoint the pilot is simply ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. Likening to golfers or mountain biking rich picking is also ludicrous. If you where a thief, and/or violent what would you do? Walk a golf course hoping to find a lone golfer with view to steal his clubs, or perhaps hide in wait on a mountain bike trail for a passing bike worthy of quick cash, or sit in a vehicle comfy and warm, few tunes banging out and look at your phone for a nice and easy taking of the booty. Anyone who thinks stolen drones can typically be electronically grounded or traced is living in la la land. Yes, it can be done, but it’s not, and not commercially a good idea either. The fact DJI is not responding to the thousands across the web now speaking out tells you everything you need to know.
2019-11-16
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

this new update rolls out very soon and it will be in the next new update coming out, the drone model are unspecified atm. Yes, DJI publicly demonstrated with mavi's air and the Mavic enterprise 2.

It broadcast the pilot's location, the drones location, altitude, speed, and heading, plus your unique identifier. ie...your electronic license plate.
This will allow Law Enforcement and the public to obtain info about your missions supposedly for safety reasons, and will be mandatory in the EU next July 2020, and possibly here in the USA by 2021or later.

No new equipment needed for this to be activated, just a software upgrade is needed stated by DJI's Diretor of Tech Standards.

My drones fly great, I'll never update my fleet again. I'll never buy another DJI drone, battery time suck. Once that camera starts clicking the battery drains way to fast.
I shouldn't need to use 5 batteries/hour to complete all day mapping jobs. I have to take a 1200 watt jenny with me to keep my 6 batteries in rotation. a good pure sine wave jenny is cheap but still...wtf?
2019-11-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The worst is when B4UFLY has more NFZs than what shows up in DJI Geo Zone so if you don't check that and you didn't waiver a 0' NFZ, you are in violation.  I assume, it's to sell more Mavic Minis as they are under 250g so you can fly them anywhere and be ok.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedWolf18 Posted at 11-16 09:32
On the basis of DJI statement, it will be public free to use. I can live with albeit not convinced it’s ok to monitor a drone, but pinpoint the pilot is simply ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. Likening to golfers or mountain biking rich picking is also ludicrous. If you where a thief, and/or violent what would you do? Walk a golf course hoping to find a lone golfer with view to steal his clubs, or perhaps hide in wait on a mountain bike trail for a passing bike worthy of quick cash, or sit in a vehicle comfy and warm, few tunes banging out and look at your phone for a nice and easy taking of the booty. Anyone who thinks stolen drones can typically be electronically grounded or traced is living in la la land. Yes, it can be done, but it’s not, and not commercially a good idea either. The fact DJI is not responding to the thousands across the web now speaking out tells you everything you need to know.

I think your in la la land the whole discussion here is about a drone been traced, and try flying in a NFZ and watch your drone being grounded .

Dji have clearly said they wouldn’t roll out this did you not read the article.
The only body who said they would implement this is the FAA.
2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

RedWolf18 Posted at 11-16 09:32
On the basis of DJI statement, it will be public free to use. I can live with albeit not convinced it’s ok to monitor a drone, but pinpoint the pilot is simply ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. Likening to golfers or mountain biking rich picking is also ludicrous. If you where a thief, and/or violent what would you do? Walk a golf course hoping to find a lone golfer with view to steal his clubs, or perhaps hide in wait on a mountain bike trail for a passing bike worthy of quick cash, or sit in a vehicle comfy and warm, few tunes banging out and look at your phone for a nice and easy taking of the booty. Anyone who thinks stolen drones can typically be electronically grounded or traced is living in la la land. Yes, it can be done, but it’s not, and not commercially a good idea either. The fact DJI is not responding to the thousands across the web now speaking out tells you everything you need to know.

"or sit in a vehicle comfy and warm, few tunes banging out and look at your phone for a nice and easy taking of the booty"

Which brings up a whole different security risk.  The App will help criminals know when to go Break-in and Rob a drone pilot's home.
Bad-guy #1 -- Look that dufus is out flying his drone again.
Bad-guy #2 -- Great, I'll have time to ransack his place.
Bad-guy #1 -- With this App, take all time you like.  
Bad-guy #2 -- How's that?
Bad-guy #1 -- I'll know when he is done, and alert you.

2019-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-15 09:27
This what you get when Governments decide way to deal with Law breakers is Blanket approach; go after everyone as if they are criminals.

If there would not be so many of 'us' breaking the rules the need would be felt much less....
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s getting worse my grandmother once told me about these American conspiracies, where is Elvis playing tonight ....

If your on Facebook never mention your working because there will be a dozen criminals around your house ransacking it . It’s so funny ..
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 11:36
Criminals are opportunistic.   Unlocked doors & windows, items left in plain view, smash & grab.  I don't see many criminals schlepping out to the golf course hoping a mark happens by.  OTOH, it isn't so bad to sit in the car with a few buddies, jamming to some tunes & sharing a blunt, just waiting for the handy DJI app to serve up a target.

BS but maybe the new type of common criminals in the US prefer apps.

Just as I said before criminals are inherently dumb.
Scenario, he can steal a drone, nobody knows where it is he can sell it use it do nothing with it.
But soon there will be an app which now when he steals it , he can’t fly it, he can’t sell it, and he can’t use it, was he better off without app or with app , this one is very simple, I’m certain a bird in the hand is worth a lot more to a criminal than a bird in the bush.

I read now that as a result of this app we are likely to experience our houses cars etc being stolen while we are out flying, I wonder how that stacks up to notifications that Johnny has checked in to Starbucks for a cuppa, think it’s all gone to far down the road for me now .
2019-11-16
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 09:59
I think your in la la land the whole discussion here is about a drone been traced, and try flying in a NFZ and watch your drone being grounded .

Dji have clearly said they wouldn’t roll out this did you not read the article.

Someone had already posted in here their statement, not too mention the YT videos already up.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedWolf18 Posted at 11-16 12:14
Someone had already posted in here their statement, not too mention the YT videos already up.

Cmon saying what ? Nobody from dji said they were implementing this, only group to say it was FAA and it certainly won’t come to Europe it breaks every rule of GDPR .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 12:19
People are generally safer in public.  Rarely is one robbed or assaulted in broad daylight before a crowd of witnesses.  Very few criminals trudge out to a mountain trail hoping a biker rolls by.   I don't understand why you dismiss the obvious risk to personal safety?  Do you have a wife & daughter?  Can we test Drone ID out on them, broadcasting their whereabouts to a free app that allows anyone to track them 24/7?  

Privacy is a moral concept, but generally the loss of such won't cause tangible harm.  In the case of blasting one's location to everyone, it very well may lead to physical harm or even death.  I am happy to learn that you don't support (I think?) this proposal.

Just the very same as flying a drone in a built up area, it may not have killed someone yet , but it has the potential, so anyone flying a drone in built up areas is by your own admission Because of potential danger be at risk of an out of control drone flown into a built up area of physical harm or even death .
Nobody has been harmed by this app or I suspect any other app so does this tie in with your analogy that because a drone hasn’t killed anyone we should fly them like they won’t, I have to say this is like listening to someone talking out the side of their mouth .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

People are generally safer in public.  Rarely is one robbed or assaulted in broad daylight before a crowd of witnesses.  Very few criminals trudge out to a mountain trail hoping a biker rolls by.   I don't understand why you dismiss the obvious risk to personal safety?  Do you have a wife & daughter?  Can we test Drone ID out on them, broadcasting their whereabouts to a free app that allows anyone to track them 24/7?  

Privacy is a moral concept, but generally the loss of such won't cause tangible harm.  In the case of blasting one's location to everyone, it very well may lead to physical harm or even death.  I am happy to learn that you don't support (I think?) this proposal.

People are generally safer in public.

I think you will find a lot more crime caused to people living in cities than In rural areas .Maybe criminals not interested in traveling .
2019-11-16
Use props
Carsten Krogh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 665623 ft
Denmark

People are generally safer in public.  Rarely is one robbed or assaulted in broad daylight before a crowd of witnesses.  Very few criminals trudge out to a mountain trail hoping a biker rolls by.   I don't understand why you dismiss the obvious risk to personal safety?  Do you have a wife & daughter?  Can we test Drone ID out on them, broadcasting their whereabouts to a free app that allows anyone to track them 24/7?  

Privacy is a moral concept, but generally the loss of such won't cause tangible harm.  In the case of blasting one's location to everyone, it very well may lead to physical harm or even death.  I am happy to learn that you don't support (I think?) this proposal.

Maybe I'm just missing the obvious here, but has anyone actually seen the interface and made an inventory of information being broadcasted / collected? And what about availability?

The DJI AeroScope is a pretty neat way to govern aerospace around installations, where drones have no business in the first place, but targeted an audience way above the common thug. One might be tempted to expect such an app to also be targeted a very select group and not general public.

Just my 2¢.
2019-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 11:48
I don't believe this has anything to do with it.  It is drone hysteria, plain & simple, with no correlation between risk & reaction.  This isn't about YouTube videos.  It's about sensationalized media reports.  Hundreds of unproven & generally unfounded claims of near misses & ghost sightings like the Gatwick fisaco.

I keep pointing out there has not been a single death attributed to a consumer drone.  In comparison last year alone in the USA 1,515 were killed by knives & another 443 were killed by hammers, clubs, or blunt objects.  Perhaps we need an app broadcasting the location of people with knives, clubs, & hammers?  Drone ID is another solution in search of a problem...

You are probably right.
Still, I see a lot of people breaking the rules here in NL.
Thereby making other people scream even harder for rules.
And DJI reacts to that.
Simple logic.
But it is my logic of course
2019-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules