Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Watch out for laser pointers.
390 11 11-15 10:45
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

I just saw this in the News. Protestors killing a drone with laser pointers. I thought it interesting enough to share:

11-15 10:45
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello and good day Knapweed. Thank you for sharing this video with us today. Let us all be responsible drone pilots and please stay safe always.
11-15 10:50
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4724977 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

R.I.P. The Drone ......
11-15 10:51
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-15 10:50
Hello and good day Knapweed. Thank you for sharing this video with us today. Let us all be responsible drone pilots and please stay safe always.

For sure. I posted it because we could be on the receiving end of laser pointers and, in daylight, we probably couldn't even see it happening until it blew the camera sensor out. I'm not trying to scaremonger but we have to be more careful now than we have ever been. As the man said, 'Some people just like to watch the world burn.'
11-15 13:28
Use props
Deano76
New
Flight distance : 194 ft
Australia

What size laser pointers did they have, I’ve never seen anything like that here in Australia
11-15 13:34
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Knapweed Posted at 11-15 13:28
For sure. I posted it because we could be on the receiving end of laser pointers and, in daylight, we probably couldn't even see it happening until it blew the camera sensor out. I'm not trying to scaremonger but we have to be more careful now than we have ever been. As the man said, 'Some people just like to watch the world burn.'

Likely won't blow drone's camera sensor out.  However, even "eye safe" lasers can damage camera sensors.
Chances are you won't see damage done by laser(s) while flying.  You will likely see damage done during reviewing of photos and videos taken at time and from then on.

11-15 13:35
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

For those doubting damage that can be done to a digital Camera's sensor, see following article and picture.

Photographer Forced to Spend Hours Photoshopping Lines From Wedding Photos, Issues Warning That Lasers Can Ruin Sensors

Worth noting these were lasers required not to harm human eyes!

11-15 13:38
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

This thread is on the Phantom page.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D559%26typeid%3D559

11-15 13:40
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-15 13:38
For those doubting damage that can be done to a digital Camera's sensor, see following article and picture.

Ouch! Great find, I hadn't even considered the effect of laser show reflections and I doubt I would have been smart enough to figure out what had happened from the ensuing photographs.  Thanks for the heads up.
11-15 13:47
Use props
The Saint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1271319 ft
United States

Deano76 Posted at 11-15 13:34
What size laser pointers did they have, I’ve never seen anything like that here in Australia

lol there's a lot you don't get to see down under.  i have a whole collection of lasers.  the drone was only one of their targets:

11-15 14:02
Use props
BobB
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-15 13:38

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea a camera sensor would die from a laser but i do now!
11-15 14:24
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Knapweed Posted at 11-15 13:28
For sure. I posted it because we could be on the receiving end of laser pointers and, in daylight, we probably couldn't even see it happening until it blew the camera sensor out. I'm not trying to scaremonger but we have to be more careful now than we have ever been. As the man said, 'Some people just like to watch the world burn.'

You are definitely correct Knapweed and thank you for the additional information you have shared. It is always great to educate everyone on the pros and cons with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support.
11-16 10:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules