15485 38 2019-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Hello community!
So after watching some videos of the first european models doing range tests, I´ve conclude that the signal range is pretty weak in areas with interference.
It seems to be ok over the sea, and in areas with not a lot of buildings but looks is easy to loose signal under 500m distance.

Im not complainging, since I understand you shouldnt fly this drone much further anyway, but, since Im an absolute novice, I want to fly safe and enjoy.
I dont want to be sacared of buildings, shadows, interference since it seems easy to encounter this signal loss if you go behind trees, or big objects.
So, being Wifi, I thougt... range extenders... I did a little research and there is tons of info on this topic.

Anybody has experience with this?

First a link to a website with plenty of info in this topic regarding DJI drones:
https://unlimitedrone.com/2017/0 ... ut-drone-extenders/

This is a second part of two videos, first one shows the DIY part of the windsurfers, this one shows the tests and results.

By the way I posted this videos before in another post, about someones range test.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Dlastpost

2019-11-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Juliflash. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to using a WiFi extender or range extender when flying there drones. Just a friendly reminder that DJI don't recommend using third-party accessories such as the WiFi extender or range extender to our DJI Products as we can not guarantee the outcome of using it. Thank you for your understanding.
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-16 13:13
Hello and good day Juliflash. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to using a WiFi extender or range extender when flying there drones. Just a friendly reminder that DJI don't recommend using third-party accessories such as the WiFi extender or range extender to our DJI Products as we can not guarantee the outcome of using it. Thank you for your understanding.

Complitely undertandable Mr DJI Stephen, thanks for the answer.
As I said, I still have to check the range myself but I dont want to fly first time and crash my drone for a lost signal or bad RTH situation, so I must take all precautions.

I have to say that the EU range tests I´ve seen are very discouraging, and worst, risky.
At this point, I even thought very seriously about cancelling my orders and wait for updates, and more videos.

But I´m the type of inventor kind of guy, so a little research showed interesting results. An antena booster is nothing that will damage the equipment, is being used for decades, but I understand is a third party product and you cannot advise using it.
Thanks again.

PS: Please ask the tech department to consider checking the EU version for range, maybe a FW may fix the weak recepcion.
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

It seems to be many videos out there ,  making them directional but deffintely improving range:

2019-11-16
Use props
InfraMan
lvl.1
United States

Seems kinda risky, im still a new at this all so I think I personally would wait until I got conformable flying before attempting to use any range extensions.
2019-11-17
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldnt bother. Even my M2P has lost transmission at around 500m in some built up areas. It's normal for Wifi to do that. Just plan your flights more carefully and make sure to have LOS.
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

InfraMan Posted at 11-17 01:22
Seems kinda risky, im still a new at this all so I think I personally would wait until I got conformable flying before attempting to use any range extensions.

Absolutely, I will practice and fly a lot before attempting to go far or behind any object.
I will do some tests though and report here my results.
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

*DM* Posted at 11-17 01:51
I wouldnt bother. Even my M2P has lost transmission at around 500m in some built up areas. It's normal for Wifi to do that. Just plan your flights more carefully and make sure to have LOS.

Well if I had a M2P and loose signal at 500m I would be very insecure.
Maybe the range test is making me look as I am trying to fly really far with the mini, but that´s not my intention, my intention is to increase the strength within a 500m radius.
Once I fly with confidence I will do some tests and report here.
2019-11-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Juliflash Posted at 11-16 13:33
Complitely undertandable Mr DJI Stephen, thanks for the answer.
As I said, I still have to check the range myself but I dont want to fly first time and crash my drone for a lost signal or bad RTH situation, so I must take all precautions.

It is always my pleasure Juliflash. In addition rest assured that I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-17 13:38
It is always my pleasure Juliflash. In addition rest assured that I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.

Thanks DJI Stephen,
Maybe something can be done software wise to improve CE signal reception in general, so is nice you can forward this info to the tech guys, seems the 2km range promised in Europe is far from achiveable.
2019-11-17
Use props
fans0a57fa84
New

Italy

Europe amen Italy 2.4 ghz used by a lot device, 5.8 to low mwatt

Not understand while dji with same device same size same weight not do same hardware like spark, very stupid choice a lot of people in Italy are carrying back his model impossible to fly in city, I know is not because people want go at km but if loose video and trasmition signal and Gps not work you have a fly away
2019-11-18
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

fans0a57fa84 Posted at 11-18 03:05

Not understand while dji with same device same size same weight not do same hardware like spark, very stupid choice a lot of people in Italy are carrying back his model impossible to fly in city, I know is not because people want go at km but if loose video and trasmition signal and Gps not work you have a fly away

I agree here, I have to see what happens where I live but still I want to record other things than trees and open fields. I wold love to know if they are looking in to fixing this.
2019-11-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Juliflash Posted at 11-17 13:43
Thanks DJI Stephen,
Maybe something can be done software wise to improve CE signal reception in general, so is nice you can forward this info to the tech guys, seems the 2km range promised in Europe is far from achiveable.

You are very much welcome Juliflash. Rest assure that this information will be cascaded as well and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you.
2019-11-18
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-18 06:20
I agree here, I have to see what happens where I live but still I want to record other things than trees and open fields. I wold love to know if they are looking in to fixing this.

That's just a draw back of flying in a city .   I should clear a couple city blocks (LOS) even with the strongest interference .
If long range is what your after , take it out to the country or ocean and fly up and away from everything . It should do what DJI says . I saw a video of a guy get 3.4 miles out of one but he was in the desert . Good luck and happy safe flying Juli
2019-12-1
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

It's OK

PS This is one of the two antennas of the R-410M-10 radio station, the Americans have a similar one, but with inflatable antennas....
2019-12-1
Use props
Tony Faz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2379 ft
United States

The range extenders do work, but we need to keep in mind they direct the signal, so knowing exactly where your quad is with respect to your radio is important.  the small folding gold foil reflectors made to fit the radio for your quad are decent and compact.  they are also only around $15 US
2019-12-1
Use props
Ikarus61
lvl.1
Romania

many guys here should read again phisics manuals before posting...
2019-12-19
Use props
Rossosat
lvl.2

Italy

Im owner of new mavic mini CE versione, and in my small town i lost signal at 200 mt because there aree too many wireless signal in 2.4 ghz.
2019-12-26
Use props
Rossosat
lvl.2

Italy

yes, is impossible to fly in city with the CE version, i will sell my mini for that.
2019-12-27
Use props
pedulianak
lvl.1

Indonesia

I don't know what to do! My DJI mavic mini is running on 2.4 ghz as well. I'm in the middle of the rice fields, there is no interference of anything here, but it loses it's signal already on 49 meters! Vertical and horizontal.  I also have the Spark and the Spark is doing fine here, I can fly up to 300 meter without losing any Wifi connection. 49 meters is just madness and makes this Mavic Mini useless for me.

Anyone has any advice?

2020-2-12
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

You may try to adjust your rc antenna..
2020-2-12
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

Or try manually change the transmission channel to 5.8Ghz, it will be more stable & less interference.
2020-2-12
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

first advice is to not fly directly above you. Even if you orient your RC antenna parallel to the ground, the drone's antennae are in the front legs, which are vertical. It cannot transmit directly down. Fly your drone away from you before going higher.
2020-2-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Ikarus61 Posted at 2019-12-19 07:55
many guys here should read again phisics manuals before posting...

That doesn´t help at all here, please explain whatever concept you think that it was wrongly explained.
2020-2-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Put phone in airplane mode.
Dont use smartwatch if you have one.
Dont fly the drone just straight up, is the worst position for the antennas.
2020-2-13
Use props
pedulianak
lvl.1

Indonesia

All tried what is advised above, but it doesn't change anything. The Spark, which i use on the same location is working fine and flies up to 300 meters without any lost of wifi connection. The only thing I was not able to do is to change it to 5.8Ghz. It is not available in the app.
2020-2-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

pedulianak Posted at 2-13 07:28
All tried what is advised above, but it doesn't change anything. The Spark, which i use on the same location is working fine and flies up to 300 meters without any lost of wifi connection. The only thing I was not able to do is to change it to 5.8Ghz. It is not available in the app.

Flying with the drone above has the worst signal, try moving it a bit further, let say 100m distance and then ascend.

Not sure about Indonesia law, but in Spain is prohibited to fly above 120m in cities, and only 20m if there are people below or moving vehicles.

Fly safe and have fun!
2020-2-13
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Having bought the Gold parabolic reflectors for my mini, i can confirm that they DO indeed work quite well..  But as has been stated, it is advisable to continually 'face' where the drone is at all times... Because these reflectors DO make the RF signal more 'directional' ..
2020-2-13
Use props
pedulianak
lvl.1

Indonesia

What I tried to say fly 300 meter away. With the Mavic Mini I flew 49 meters up and 29 meters away and it already losing it signal. Spark on the same location has no problems at all and can easily reach 300 meters away and 150 meters up. It seems like there is something wrong with this Mavic Mini, or the remote control.
2020-2-13
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

pedulianak Posted at 2-13 16:49
What I tried to say fly 300 meter away. With the Mavic Mini I flew 49 meters up and 29 meters away and it already losing it signal. Spark on the same location has no problems at all and can easily reach 300 meters away and 150 meters up. It seems like there is something wrong with this Mavic Mini, or the remote control.

What you do to change to 5.8ghz is to select "manual" in the transmission menu and touch one of the channels from 149-165 (the one with least interference) , this should then change it to 5.8ghz.

Channels 1-13 are 2.4ghz
2020-2-13
Use props
pedulianak
lvl.1

Indonesia

lannes Posted at 2-13 17:45
What you do to change to 5.8ghz is to select "manual" in the transmission menu and touch one of the channels from 149-165 (the one with least interference) , this should then change it to 5.8ghz.

Channels 1-13 are 2.4ghz

Tried everything now, put it on manual mode on 2.4ghz and also on 5.8ghz. Changed it with the GPS hack into FCC mode and also back to CE mode (original mode) with the 13 channels to choice from. All doesn't really matter. In FCC mode it allows me to fly a little bit more far, so I reach about 80 meters and then lost connection. Still in the rice fields, no obstructions or other WIFI interference around. Then also tried my Spark again, same time and location. No problem up to 300 meters far. It seems that there is something serious wrong with the Mavic Mini.
2020-2-13
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

pedulianak Posted at 2-13 21:00
Tried everything now, put it on manual mode on 2.4ghz and also on 5.8ghz. Changed it with the GPS hack into FCC mode and also back to CE mode (original mode) with the 13 channels to choice from. All doesn't really matter. In FCC mode it allows me to fly a little bit more far, so I reach about 80 meters and then lost connection. Still in the rice fields, no obstructions or other WIFI interference around. Then also tried my Spark again, same time and location. No problem up to 300 meters far. It seems that there is something serious wrong with the Mavic Mini.

Are you using any prop guards or legs etc. the Mini will automatically set "payload" mode which limits you to 30m height and 50m distance.
Also have you turned off "payload" mode in the advanced safety settings menu

Have you ever dropped the RC, this could have dislodged one of the antenna cables

2020-2-13
Use props
raju360
New

Bangladesh

WiFi repeater or extender is used to extend the coverage area of your WiFi network. It works by receiving your existing WiFi signal, amplifying it and then transmitting the boosted signal.
2020-8-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

breebela Posted at 9-4 09:13
A Wi-Fi extender increases the speed limit of your internet by transmitting a strong signal command to the router. With this device, you can connect multiple other devices to the router so that you can enjoy using the internet on your cell phone, tablet, PC, and laptops.

The radio signals connecting DJI aircraft ARE NOT WiFI, they just happen to be on the same frequency. Therefore a WiFi extender will not work.
2020-9-4
Use props
Crytpomas
lvl.1

Bangladesh

breebela Posted at 9-7 01:43
Top 15 Best Netgear WiFi Extender In 2020

In your opinion which one is the best wifi extender? In this article https://www.mybestwirelessrouters.com/what-is-a-wifi-extender-or-wifi-booster/ the writer recommended the NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender, NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7300 & AC1750 Wifi Range Extender.
2020-10-11
Use props
Crytpomas
lvl.1

United States

Currently, i'm using the NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7300
2020-10-11
Use props
hannoverg
lvl.1

Ukraine

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I am in process of choosing a new wifi range extractor and router. Agree with post above. First, you should better buy a good router and then move to an extractor. By the way. I think that I'll choose the Netgear extractor after reading the recommendations at https://themybuy.com/best-wifi-range-extenders/. I have not heard anything about your extractor but will probably compare. I need to have a very strong signal and a fast connection.
2021-2-4
Use props
hannoverg
lvl.1

Ukraine

Crytpomas Posted at 2020-10-11 04:57
Currently, i'm using the NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7300

I've read about Netgear wifi range extenders at https://themybuy.com/best-wifi-range-extenders/. They make good hardware.
2021-2-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

hannoverg Posted at 2-4 13:39
I've read about Netgear wifi range extenders at https://themybuy.com/best-wifi-range-extenders/. They make good hardware.

Yeah, and they are completely useless for DJI drones, as the signals used have nothing to do with WiFi. Stop posting irrelevant BS.
2021-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules