Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help me select a phone/tablet for the Mini
12Next >
7424 44 2019-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

I confess, I'm one of those cheap phone guys. I am hard on my phones, so I don't spend much on them. That said, my Moto G4 doesn't look lime it will get the job done.I am looking at either a refurb Iphone 8, or, if it will work well, an Ipad mini 4 or 5.
I've always had Android devices, so this would be my first Apple product. I was told that the Apple platform is somewhat more reliable for drone flying.
I don't care about using whatever I get as a phone, as I plan to keep my beater for that.
Budget is under $400, even better, under $300.
I'd like the larger screen of the Ipad mini, but I see it's not listed in the compatibility chart.
What do you think?
Thanks, Kyle

2019-11-16
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Xiaomi Mi Max 3 4/64GB
I think it will be compatible with DJI Fly...
PS Although in the US you can probably not expensive to buy, used, Ipad mini!
2019-11-16
Use props
InfraMan
lvl.1
United States

Im buying a iPad mini 4, I heard they do a pretty good job....
2019-11-17
Use props
Bjord
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861880 ft
Canada

I've been using a refurb ipad 2018 9.7" and it's been working very well, besides the lack of native resolution.
2019-11-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Kyle, please refer to the DJI Fly app product page for information regarding compatibility with specific devices. To ensure the stability and compatibility, you are recommended to use the mobile device on the list. Thanks.
https://www.dji.com/dji-fly
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-16 20:45
Xiaomi Mi Max 3 4/64GB

Thank you Alevpi. The brand you listed isn't available here in the US, as far as I can tell.
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

InfraMan Posted at 11-17 01:25
Im buying a iPad mini 4, I heard they do a pretty good job....

Yes, that is what I have been reading also. Do you know if it fits the controller mount, and will it need a longer cable to plug in to the controller?
The only thing that scares me a little is the lack of official compatibility...
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Bjord Posted at 11-17 01:51
I've been using a refurb ipad 2018 9.7" and it's been working very well, besides the lack of native resolution.

Thank you Bjord. Glad it is working well for you. Does the Dji supplied cable work to connect the ipad to the controller, or did you need a different one?
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-17 03:29
Hi Kyle, please refer to the DJI Fly app product page for information regarding compatibility with specific devices. To ensure the stability and compatibility, you are recommended to use the mobile device on the list. Thanks.
[view_image]

Thanks Natalia, I saved the list for easy reference.
Will there be more supported devices soon, or is this a final list?
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

fans035f0abb Posted at 11-17 07:23

This is one thing I find unacceptable, they should come up with a way of testing more phones, allow user a to run some sort of checklist automatically? I don´t know...
I´m in the same boat, I´m the cheap phone guy too, I loose them, break them, and only want them for messages and calls so upgrading is a bit of a pain...
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-17 07:40
This is one thing I find unacceptable, they should come up with a way of testing more phones, allow user a to run some sort of checklist automatically? I don´t know...
I´m in the same boat, I´m the cheap phone guy too, I loose them, break them, and only want them for messages and calls so upgrading is a bit of a pain...

Agreed 100%. I have zero use for an Iphone, or Ipad, except to fly my new gizmo. Maybe I am getting old, but $500-1000 phones are a joke to me.
This will be a controller only, and I want to buy once/cry once.
2019-11-17
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a link to daily updated list you may find helpful:
Best tablets and Phones for DJI
They recently added the DJI Fly app.
I currently downloaded the Fly app on a Samsung Note 8, and while it shows compatibility, I have not tested it on my new MM, as it was delayed in shipping and now arrives tomorrow. I will test and let you know. BTW: It has 1200 nits (brightness) and can be found in your budget.
2019-11-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Alevpi Posted at 11-16 20:45
Xiaomi Mi Max 3 4/64GB

At least, with 4 GB ram, it is a 64 bit processor in it.
Which seems to be important, in case you wanna use it for The DJI Fly.
2019-11-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

In case that you can't find an iOS for the price you like, check for Droids!
Most important, it seems, you need a 64 bit CPU on it.
So look for "better" devices with 4 GB or more Ram and a speed greater as 2 GHz
In case you get sec. hd. devices, there should be a option to try that, methinks.
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

fans035f0abb Posted at 11-17 07:59
Agreed 100%. I have zero use for an Iphone, or Ipad, except to fly my new gizmo. Maybe I am getting old, but $500-1000 phones are a joke to me.
This will be a controller only, and I want to buy once/cry once.

Exactly, I mean it shouldn't even be a controller, for that the hardware should be in the remote and aircraft, it should only be a way to monitor the camera live video... so what a phone in the 500-1000 range?

Is not an age matter, I´m 36 and love tech gear, but phones are something I find distracting and  overpriced... not to mention our privacy and amount of  bad stuff that is fed to us.
2019-11-17
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes, there has been much talk about the 64 bit CPU and more ram is always a plus. Shop around, and check this forum for folks who are having good experience with their phones and tablets.
2019-11-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Juliflash Posted at 11-17 08:27
Exactly, I mean it shouldn't even be a controller, for that the hardware should be in the remote and aircraft, it should only be a way to monitor the camera live video... so what a phone in the 500-1000 range?

Is not an age matter, I´m 36 and love tech gear, but phones are something I find distracting and  overpriced... not to mention our privacy and amount of  bad stuff that is fed to us.

But there is a lot of decoding going on, for the live stream, to get that done live
2019-11-17
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

fans035f0abb Posted at 11-17 07:11
Thank you Alevpi. The brand you listed isn't available here in the US, as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately my Samsung Tab S2 does not work now, so I chose to replace it and chose Xiaomi Mi Max 3 4/64GB LTE. Pros cheap, big screen, phone and LTE functions. On it DJI Flay starts, but unfortunately I can not check the work with the mavic mini, as it has not yet arrived to me.
On Ebay, you can buy everything, even there are sellers from the United States.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-128GB-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-6-9-6GB-RAM-Black-Gold-Blue/202718925923?hash=item2f32fd5463:m:mInyEmRAfrhpZZ9nEUXrE3w

But I would choose the Ipad, as it is now hacked applications on which someone began to hang protection. Just in Russia too many obsessed with Apple products.
2019-11-17
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

The best Android tablet in US currently is arguably the Huawei MediaPad M5. I have the 8.4" version. It works great with DJI Go 4 and the Spark. Hopefully I can report tomorrow how it does with the Fly app and the Mini. The 8.4" version costs about $335. It has 4 gb of ram a 64 gb of ROM. It also excepts memory cards and I have a 256 gb Micro SD in mine. It has a very nice IPS high res screen (2560 x 1600).

The iPad mini would work as well. It has a screen with a little lower resolution than the MediaPad M5 (326 ppi vs. 359ppi). The screen on iPad is also 4:3 so it is not as well suited for wide screen video (there will be black bars). The 64 gb version costs $399 and you cannot add memory.

You will have to also get a tablet holder. The one I got costs $16. I'm fairly happy with it but have thought of upgrading. Mavmount makes some great ones but they are pricey. This is one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RK5FYY

2019-11-17
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

I once bought one for mavic pro, with a metal base. The adapter is very heavy, but it can be very beat someone.
2019-11-17
Use props
Bjord
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861880 ft
Canada

fans035f0abb Posted at 11-17 07:21
Thank you Bjord. Glad it is working well for you. Does the Dji supplied cable work to connect the ipad to the controller, or did you need a different one?

The included cable isn't long enough. I bought this

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DDSRQFY
and this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YOX4JU6

and together it reaches far enough but without any slack hanging down.
2019-11-17
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the ideas, folks!
Drone should be here next week, I will be watching the forum to see what works, and doesn't work. Snag a phone or tablet on black friday...
2019-11-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans035f0abb Posted at 11-17 07:23

You're welcome. It is not a final list, please check the notes on below of the website:
Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.
2019-11-18
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Ok, after staring at specs, prices, and compatibility issues, I ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (The 4gb version).
It's on the compatibility list, it was less than $200 from Amazon, and with Prime, it goes back if it won't fly. (Pun intended)
Phone arrives Friday, drone should be here about the same time.
I'll update when I can try it out.
Fwiw, it's cheaper on Ebay, but I paid about $25 extra, for the easy return on Amazon.
I now have a phone I've never heard of, with a name I can't pronounce, that won't run on Verizon's network. Haha! I win (?)
Regards, Kyle
2019-11-18
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bjord Posted at 11-17 14:12
The included cable isn't long enough. I bought this

I have this cable and can tell you it works great with my iPad mini 4:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZS7XB6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Anbee Nylon Braided OTG Cable Data Cord 8.14 inch for DJI Mavic Mini/Mavic Pro/Maivc Air/Mavic 2 Pro Zoom/Spark Drone, Fits iOS Cellphone and Tablets
2019-11-18
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ipad Mini 3 also works. i tested with the short RC cable. just waiting for the longer cable to arrive. the Ipad does fit within the arms of the RC quite nicely

2019-11-18
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

Alan E Posted at 11-18 07:57
I have this cable and can tell you it works great with my iPad mini 4:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZS7XB6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the find and info!
2019-11-18
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djicheaha Posted at 11-17 08:12

The Note 8 is fine for the Mini :-). No problem at all with mine.
2019-11-18
Use props
fans035f0abb
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for confirming it works!
Is it just me, or is this forum platform a nightmare?
I am not new to forums, but I haven't seen anything quite like this before....
2019-11-18
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 11-18 11:55
The Note 8 is fine for the Mini :-). No problem at all with mine.

Confirmed. Samsung Note 8 works for me, also. I flew today with no problems.
2019-11-18
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

One of the issues regarding using any device that is significantly larger than a phone has to do with the supplied cable.  The controller does NOT have an extra USB port under the center (like the ones for the Mavic Pro, etc.).  As such the included cable might not be long enough.  You need to investigate further on the length need to reach the connections between the unit and control device.
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 11-19 08:06
One of the issues regarding using any device that is significantly larger than a phone has to do with the supplied cable.  The controller does NOT have an extra USB port under the center (like the ones for the Mavic Pro, etc.).  As such the included cable might not be long enough.  You need to investigate further on the length need to reach the connections between the unit and control device.

This answers the question I had, no extra USB connector which means Android devices are charged by the RC draining the RC battery.
Must be time to layout an adapter between the RC and phone/tablet that allows the 5 volt supply to be disconnected.
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

djicheaha Posted at 11-17 08:12

I purchased a Galaxy TAB S4 and it works GREAT with my Mavic 2 RC and DJI GO 4 other then the RC trying to charge the tablet, same issue with my Galaxy Note 8. Also, the $57 all aluminum phone/tablet holder is solid as a rock, makes the other two holders I purchased look and feel like the plastic/aluminum junk they are.
2019-11-19
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10279997 ft
Canada

been using IPad apple mini for the last 2 years, never had any kind of issue,  that's the one I strongly recommend.
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

djicheaha Posted at 11-18 17:39
Confirmed. Samsung Note 8 works for me, also. I flew today with no problems.

Can you put your phone into AIRPLANE mode (No network or WiFI connection) and then fly the Mavic Mini without distance or altitude restrictions?
Thanks
2019-11-21
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD Posted at 11-19 08:55
This answers the question I had, no extra USB connector which means Android devices are charged by the RC draining the RC battery.
Must be time to layout an adapter between the RC and phone/tablet that allows the 5 volt supply to be disconnected.

DJI: Here is the USB-PD SPEC: https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/USB%20Power%20Delivery_1.zip
Read it PLEASE - There is NO reason a RC should be a SOURCE of power, EVER!
2019-11-21
Use props
Tripntx
lvl.2

United States

I have been flying my MM with a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" every day since Nov 11th. On the morning of Nov 14th I had issues getting it to connect. Not exactly sure why, although the evening before I had started/turned-on 'developer mode', and I had installed MS office. Performed factory reset that morning, and have been flying MM Huawei MediaPad as the interface multiple times a day since then without any further issues.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" has an extremely nice display, the video is not stretched like it currently has to be on iPad Mini, and it doesn't seem to place as much of a drain on the Remote Controller battery as so many people led you to believe about android devices.

A couple of days ago, I performed one hour worth of flying (three flights approx. 20 minutes each) without recharging the controller. It had one solid led, and a second flashing led. The second led didn't start flashing until approx. 55 minute flight time, which means it had enough battery capacity remaining in the RC for more flying.
2019-11-21
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

Tripntx Posted at 11-21 12:48
I have been flying my MM with a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" every day since Nov 11th. On the morning of Nov 14th I had issues getting it to connect. Not exactly sure why, although the evening before I had started/turned-on 'developer mode', and I had installed MS office. Performed factory reset that morning, and have been flying MM Huawei MediaPad as the interface multiple times a day since then without any further issues.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" has an extremely nice display, the video is not stretched like it currently has to be on iPad Mini, and it doesn't seem to place as much of a drain on the Remote Controller battery as so many people led you to believe about android devices.

I do not know how to remote from mavic mini, but the remote from mavic pro tablet Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" does not fit, you need to use a special holder!
2019-11-21
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-21 19:04
I do not know how to remote from mavic mini, but the remote from mavic pro tablet Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" does not fit, you need to use a special holder!

Isn't a tablet adapter/holder preferable for any tablet on a DJI remote? The maximum width for the mini remote is listed as 160mm. I'm sorry but trying to fit any tablet in that remote (or any DJI remote) just seems backwards. It works great using a tablet adapter/holder. No big deal and it can cost as little as $16. I recommend any one who is trying to fit a tablet in their DJI remote to try a tablet adapter/holder. It is so much better.
2019-11-21
Use props
Tripntx
lvl.2

United States

duplicate post, not sure how to delete
2019-11-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules