23039 275 2019-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree there are NFZ's for a reason. I do however believe to everything there is an exception. Some area's are quite large and encompasses peoples homes. They can't even fly in their homes should the drone catch satellite lock. I do agree that for flying outdoors, there maybe areas in which someone in that situation can go to that isn't an NFZ to fly outdoors, but if you obtain permission to fly from an authority setup to grant such permissions, I do see an issue there either. But then it falls back on the pilot being a responsible pilot as well.  In the end there can be a debate positive for either side, either of which I can see legitimacy for.
2019-12-17
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

deathsquad Posted at 12-17 13:15
I don't understand why it lets you unlock a flight path zone anyway. It's dangerous, there are planes flying around that area you can see one take off behind him low to the ground. Why do they allow it with the Go4 app? Like when you send it off for approval and do your number etc, are you basically giving all your details so in the case of an emergency where you have caused an accident you can be traced back? The no fly zones are there for a reason.

There are many reasons to allow for an unlocking system.  DJI doesn’t know all of the reasons why someone may want or need to fly in a certain location, so they allow you to jump through some hoops to make it difficult for the u educated to do so.  Here in the US, I am legally allowed to fly in many places that DJI has marked as authorization zones.  If they didn’t allow me to unlock those areas, they would be stopping me from doing a lawful activity which can be done safely.  
2019-12-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 12-15 15:30
I think I've mentioned this earlier in this thread, but in my opinion, I've found my drones as a great excuse to get out and explore other areas of my community and region from a different perspective than I've ever had before.  

I know its a bummer to not be able to fly in some of the areas you would like to fly, but use it as an excuse to get out and go explore.  I personally find it much more interesting and fun to go explore the areas I may not normally get out to see.

I agree with that for 'Proper Flying' The real issue is if you just want to test something or try out a feature. Within the software there should always be a height (Say 10m) and a distance that you can fly in no matter where you are. If an aircraft were below 10m high over any Private land it would be them that are in violation not the Drone Pilot. At least this way you could test stuff.

This also means People will not update their older Drones as this will simply make them more restricted.

Tech should not restrict and control us...…. Think about where this will end
2019-12-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 12-17 13:15
I don't understand why it lets you unlock a flight path zone anyway. It's dangerous, there are planes flying around that area you can see one take off behind him low to the ground. Why do they allow it with the Go4 app? Like when you send it off for approval and do your number etc, are you basically giving all your details so in the case of an emergency where you have caused an accident you can be traced back? The no fly zones are there for a reason.

I think you need to understand the Principals of Laws and how they operate.

To say once again Tech should not control us (Tech made in China to boot) it should be our decisions what we do and not the Tech. Who do you want to have control You or a person in another country (ie China)

Please think a little wider my friend and where this sort of use of Tech will lead
2019-12-17
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-17 22:13
I think you need to understand the Principals of Laws and how they operate.

To say once again Tech should not control us (Tech made in China to boot) it should be our decisions what we do and not the Tech. Who do you want to have control You or a person in another country (ie China)

It's fine to say they shouldn't restrict anyone but the reality is it can be dangerous in certain places. Not everyone is responsible. Even responsible flyers can get themselves in dangerous situations. They don't restrict many places but all the ones near me in Sydney Australia are airports. I have no problem with that. It's dangerous there. Fly somewhere else where there is no risk to anyone else.
2019-12-18
Use props
GaryArt1
lvl.2
United States

deathsquad Posted at 12-18 14:06
It's fine to say they shouldn't restrict anyone but the reality is it can be dangerous in certain places. Not everyone is responsible. Even responsible flyers can get themselves in dangerous situations. They don't restrict many places but all the ones near me in Sydney Australia are airports. I have no problem with that. It's dangerous there. Fly somewhere else where there is no risk to anyone else.

I am all for safety.  I believe that people who do stupid things with drones make it bad for all of us.  Saying that, I live in a authorization zone,  I am a few miles from a small airport.  I am no where near any flight paths.  My property, my neighboirhood  is surrounded by huge trees.  Who is to tell me I can't fly my mini in my backyard to video a family party.  Let's face it,. DJI has the self unlocking procedure just to limit their liability as much as they have it for safety.  When you are doing it, you are accepting liability and their liability shrinks.  So when someone does something stupid, they can show they warned them.  They have some nerve locking a drone so I can't even fly it in my house.
2019-12-18
Use props
Good guy Biker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459144 ft
Canada

i wonder how long till hackers remove these blocks like they have done in the past ;)
2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

as for me now mavic mini looks like pease of ...  for 400$  and i am not sure that they will prepare FW in this year
2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

as for me  now  mavic mini looks like a piece of ...  because i cant fly in 60 %  of area
2019-12-19
Use props
realpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26457 ft
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp Posted at 12-19 06:28
as for me  now  mavic mini looks like a piece of ...  because i cant fly in 60 %  of area

me too
2019-12-19
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp Posted at 12-19 06:28

If it doesn’t suit your needs, find something that does. Just because it doesn’t work for you at this point in time doesn’t make it a pos for everyone.
2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

I know fo sure if everyone is silent dji will never solve this issue ....
2019-12-19
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99797 ft
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-19 16:04
If it doesn’t suit your needs, find something that does. Just because it doesn’t work for you at this point in time doesn’t make it a pos for everyone.

it's not your problem, then it's not problem. btw in my country is not legal reason to block either unlock start in ATZ or CTR outside airport area (I can fly freely in both up to 100m), there should be only warning zone. Authorization 5.5km zone is only DJI unjustified restriction here.
2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

Also i dont understand why CE model restricted to 2.4 gHz only  ?  
2019-12-20
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I suspect DJI implements these flight restrictions as much for the protection of DJI as anything else.  From their perspective, inconveniencing a few customers is far better than the potential liability they could incur if there ever was a serious accident.

You know darn well that in the event of a lawsuit, the plaintiff would set their sights on the party with the deepest pockets.  And that's not going to be the typical drone pilot, that's going to be the the big, rich, evil company (DJI) that they can convince a jury to find negligent.

These are incredible and amazing devices.  And any big company doing business in our litigious world is going to do whatever they can to cover their behind, thoroughly!

The result of any incident is not just the actual damages.  It's the damage to the reputation of the "industry".  These sorts of enforced restrictions may be a pain, and may do little actual good.  But they make the public and legislators "feel warm and fuzzy".
2019-12-20
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp Posted at 12-20 00:27
Also i dont understand why CE model restricted to 2.4 gHz only  ?

That's a good question for your government.  DJI is only following the restrictions your government has in place.

Presumably your government has set power and frequency restrictions on these transmitters for either safety concerns or to prevent interference to licensed users of the frequency bands in question.

In the US, these issues are regulated by the FCC.  Presumably they allow use of both bands, and at higher power levels, because there are no licensed users of those particular bands in the US who they feel would be interfered with and they feel there is no danger from radio signals at these frequencies and at these power levels.
2019-12-20
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

Sigmo Posted at 12-20 02:42
I suspect DJI implements these flight restrictions as much for the protection of DJI as anything else.  From their perspective, inconveniencing a few customers is far better than the potential liability they could incur if there ever was a serious accident.

You know darn well that in the event of a lawsuit, the plaintiff would set their sights on the party with the deepest pockets.  And that's not going to be the typical drone pilot, that's going to be the the big, rich, evil company (DJI) that they can convince a jury to find negligent.

It's not protection, they have it wrong. DJI don't respect local rules. DJI ignores rules depended on drone weight.  DJI limits me on places where I can fly   but DJI allows me fly on places where I must not fly.
2019-12-20
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

As has already been said: if you don't like the product, don't buy it.

You have a choice - we all have a choice.

Buy something else, or better yet, build your own!

All this whining is really getting old!!
2019-12-20
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

Where is the problem to highlight the problems to have better product? I only say what is wrong and why it's wrong. A good company listens to customers. Do you have a problem with that? Then don't read this.
2019-12-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 12-20 02:58
That's a good question for your government.  DJI is only following the restrictions your government has in place.

Presumably your government has set power and frequency restrictions on these transmitters for either safety concerns or to prevent interference to licensed users of the frequency bands in question.

Actually, it is not true that DJI follows the restrictions of your government.  It definitely is not the case here in the US and I don't think it is the case for most countries around the world.

DJI has come up with their own "bow-tie" system they said is based on sound safety principles, but is not based directly on government regulations.  In the US, they do implement some pieces of FAA regulations.  An example of that is some of the Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR).  DJI has implemented many TFRs into their FlySafe system such as Stadium TFRs and VIP TFRs for presidential movements.

But their system they have around airports looks nothing like the controlled airspace maps that the FAA has implemented.

For comparison, look at the map for any given airport here in the US at both of the following locations and you will see many differences:
- FAA:  https://www.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad
- DJI:  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JHa Posted at 12-19 23:41
it's not your problem, then it's not problem. btw in my country is not legal reason to block either unlock start in ATZ or CTR outside airport area (I can fly freely in both up to 100m), there should be only warning zone. Authorization 5.5km zone is only DJI unjustified restriction here.

Still doesn't make it a POS for everyone. There is a way to communicate the way you feel about the NFZ situation other than trying to make the MM out to be a POS. It isn't. Even if I was having the problem with NFZ, I would not fault the MM itself. I would put myself in a car and drive somewhere that I could fly and actually see what it can do for what I paid for it and then wait for the fix. It's plastered all over the forum here that the NFZ unlock is coming later this month. Don't have the patients to wait, get something else. I just don't get it when people get on here and see the answers and decide they don't like the answers and want to act like a two year old because they aren't getting what they want immediately.
2019-12-20
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-20 04:38
Still doesn't make it a POS for everyone. There is a way to communicate the way you feel about the NFZ situation other than trying to make the MM out to be a POS. It isn't. Even if I was having the problem with NFZ, I would not fault the MM itself. I would put myself in a car and drive somewhere that I could fly and actually see what it can do for what I paid for it and then wait for the fix. It's plastered all over the forum here that the NFZ unlock is coming later this month. Don't have the patients to wait, get something else. I just don't get it when people get on here and see the answers and decide they don't like the answers and want to act like a two year old because they aren't getting what they want immediately.

A don't write about waiting, but that DJI zones are completely wrong (in my country). I have same local rules in ATZ and CTR zone for MM cathegory, why DJI in ATZ has "authorization" and in CTR is only "warning".  Rules in zone depend on drone weight (<0,91kg, >0,91kg) but dji NFZs are same for MM and Inspire2. In National Park I must not fly, but DJI has only warning zone. I must have permission in nature reserve, but in DJI map is nothing. Well configured NFZ would be good, but it's wrong. NFZ must respect reality and real rules, otherwise they are useless. I expect some sense from NFZ, not only "DJI decides, where we can fly, so shut up or buy something else" like some.
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JHa Posted at 12-20 05:14
A don't write about waiting, but that DJI zones are completely wrong (in my country). I have same local rules in ATZ and CTR zone for MM cathegory, why DJI in ATZ has "authorization" and in CTR is only "warning".  Rules in zone depend on drone weight (0,91kg) but dji NFZs are same for MM and Inspire2. In National Park I must not fly, but DJI has only warning zone. I must have permission in nature reserve, but in DJI map is nothing. Well configured NFZ would be good, but it's wrong. NFZ must respect reality and real rules, otherwise they are useless. I expect some sense from NFZ, not only "DJI decides, where we can fly, so shut up or buy something else" like some.

Now you're getting to your point. The NFZ issue that you're having has nothing to do with the quality and usefulness of the MM but to do with the oversight that DJI had that affects your use of the MM. That I agree with. Write about it or not, that sadly is the result that everyone affected by DJI's over sight must do. Wait. Or decide not to and go with something that works for them as a result of said DJI oversight.
2019-12-20
Use props
marekmk7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 407247 ft
New Zealand

I also have a $500 brick that I have not been able to use for the past 7 weeks!,  DJI not very cool knowing that many of us were not able to fly.......it might be filling you bank accounts but it creates mistrust in you as a company and is terrible PR!!
2019-12-21
Use props
Jim02ss
lvl.1
United States

Its not against the law for you guys to unlock these drones now or before they started shipping.  Its against the law for the user to fly the drone in a zone where its not allowed to fly.  There's a big difference.  It would be like saying that Ford wont let you drive your car because you might drive it drunk.  Or the company that makes your kitchen knife set not selling them anymore because you could cut yourself or someone else with them.
Its the responsibility of the end user to abide by the laws in the country they live in.

The problem we have here is that DJI has decided that they would be the enforcement agency for the various governments around the world.
Here in the USA if the congress passes a law that requires ALL of these drone manufacturers to impose the FAA limits on flying then they would be required to do so. But that's not the case YET!  This is a decision that DJI has made.

The reason we have the Mavic Mini at all right now before the software was even finished is one simple reason.... the Christmas shopping season!!!!  They had to get this drone on the market ASAP before the Christmas shopping season!  Its strictly a marketing decision.  I get it, they want to sell them, but there will be a larger % of disappointed buyers because of this decision and they knew this. Apparently they calculated that it would be worth it.
2019-12-22
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans470395e6 Posted at 11-24 21:44
The sad thing is the response from DJI. The emails are copy paste regardless of the question you have. Every single email i sent got a reply that is exact replica of  the previous reply. Another issue is i am not sure how many people do check the mavic mini before buying.  A little bit of research gives users many reasons to hold on the purchase. The app itself so far is a disaster for me. There are bunch of places that are still in Chinese. There are bunch of people with RTH and Auto Land issues. In the end DJI is not a new kid on the block. They should know that they have reputation in this business. Specially if a competitor comes up and advertises its product as "  A drone that can actually fly" it will make a big difference in marketing. At this point i cant really return it because by the time i return and reorder i will need to wait another 2-3 weeks for the new unit to arrive. Overall DJI did loose credibility for me i am not sure how the fellow pilots will think
cheers

All your points are correct, DJI is like no other company in the world... not in a good way.   They will do whatever they want.   DJI is NOT customer centric,  they are product centric.  They work with the product and it’s sales in mind.  They do NOT put the customer first.   They have been like this forever & will not change.   The way the company works, is they finalize the hardware, ship it & worry about the software later.   BUT!  The good news is they tend to ADD features along the way.  Sometimes really significant features.   Case and point, from time of its launch the DJI Action had a major flaw.. the front display would Have horrible lag.  Finally, after many months of waiting, they fixed it.  I live in an auth zone as well, it REALLY sucks not to be able to fly here.  I imagine, we will see a new software release BEFORE Christmas.   So as people open their gifts, they should be able to download the updates & fly with no issues... just my guess..
2019-12-22
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans470395e6 Posted at 11-24 21:44
The sad thing is the response from DJI. The emails are copy paste regardless of the question you have. Every single email i sent got a reply that is exact replica of  the previous reply. Another issue is i am not sure how many people do check the mavic mini before buying.  A little bit of research gives users many reasons to hold on the purchase. The app itself so far is a disaster for me. There are bunch of places that are still in Chinese. There are bunch of people with RTH and Auto Land issues. In the end DJI is not a new kid on the block. They should know that they have reputation in this business. Specially if a competitor comes up and advertises its product as "  A drone that can actually fly" it will make a big difference in marketing. At this point i cant really return it because by the time i return and reorder i will need to wait another 2-3 weeks for the new unit to arrive. Overall DJI did loose credibility for me i am not sure how the fellow pilots will think
cheers

All your points are correct, DJI is like no other company in the world... not in a good way.   They will do whatever they want.   DJI is NOT customer centric,  they are product centric.  They work with the product and it’s sales in mind.  They do NOT put the customer first.   They have been like this forever & will not change.   The way the company works, is they finalize the hardware, ship it & worry about the software later.   BUT!  The good news is they tend to ADD features along the way.  Sometimes really significant features.   Case and point, from time of its launch the DJI Action had a major flaw.. the front display would Have horrible lag.  Finally, after many months of waiting, they fixed it.  I live in an auth zone as well, it REALLY sucks not to be able to fly here.  I imagine, we will see a new software release BEFORE Christmas.   So as people open their gifts, they should be able to download the updates & fly with no issues... just my guess..
2019-12-22
Use props
djiuser_cF9jPQaiAUai
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-18 15:33
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video and your insights with the DJI Mavic Mini. You are correct DJI will be launching a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly Application in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement or kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com. Please submit the unlocking request at that time. Thank you for your understanding and support.

today is already 23rd, only a few more days to the end of year, how much longer do we have to wait?
2019-12-22
Use props
gruszon188
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Poland

Why do you care that much? It's only few days. For me it's still midd December. Late December will be 30th
2019-12-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 12-18 14:06
It's fine to say they shouldn't restrict anyone but the reality is it can be dangerous in certain places. Not everyone is responsible. Even responsible flyers can get themselves in dangerous situations. They don't restrict many places but all the ones near me in Sydney Australia are airports. I have no problem with that. It's dangerous there. Fly somewhere else where there is no risk to anyone else.

You don't listen or understand I am afraid..... Never mind one day you will catch on
2019-12-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryArt1 Posted at 12-18 15:17
I am all for safety.  I believe that people who do stupid things with drones make it bad for all of us.  Saying that, I live in a authorization zone,  I am a few miles from a small airport.  I am no where near any flight paths.  My property, my neighboirhood  is surrounded by huge trees.  Who is to tell me I can't fly my mini in my backyard to video a family party.  Let's face it,. DJI has the self unlocking procedure just to limit their liability as much as they have it for safety.  When you are doing it, you are accepting liability and their liability shrinks.  So when someone does something stupid, they can show they warned them.  They have some nerve locking a drone so I can't even fly it in my house.

Spot on. Someone at least who understands
2019-12-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-19 16:04

True but it does apply to many and it was not mentioned in the glossy sales video etc. Mine sadly is at the back of the cupboard and that is where it will most likely stay...… It is now the 23rd December which I recon is late December and I suspect a lot of p***ed of people on Christmas day
2019-12-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sigmo Posted at 12-20 02:42

You know darn well that in the event of a lawsuit, the plaintiff would set their sights on the party with the deepest pockets.  And that's not going to be the typical drone pilot, that's going to be the the big, rich, evil company (DJI) that they can convince a jury to find negligent.

They are in China the mental people in the US who like to Sue at the drop of a hat cant get at them...… It might be a surprise to you but US laws don't apply in China
2019-12-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-20 03:37
As has already been said: if you don't like the product, don't buy it.

You have a choice - we all have a choice.

Are you a fool sir.

Tell me where people were informed about it not flying in the sales information so that you could have had this choice before you bought it.

Think a little before you post things that are ridiculous.

DJI Misrepresented their product and still have not fixed their error. They should be rightfully ashamed
2019-12-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gruszon188 Posted at 12-22 22:24
Why do you care that much? It's only few days. For me it's still midd December. Late December will be 30th

Cos many of us have already waited almost 2 months.

Has it not occurred to people that all this late December update talk is just to prevent many people from returning their MM and push them past the date when they can no longer return.

I say again shame on DJI
2019-12-23
Use props
Brightlights2001
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

When will you sort out the Unlocking Fiasco??.
I’ve had my Mini 6 weeks & I still cannot take off in my own back yard in the middle off the countryside!!!.
I have permission from the relevant authority covering the NFZ as you are aware as I could fly My Air.
2019-12-23
Use props
realpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26457 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Got it 3 weeks, and I don't know if this thing can even fly LOL. DJI we love you and we hate you
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

What about going for a walk in the countryside... it's healty and you may go out of the NFZ nearby your house.

So you can power your drone and fly around!

Do you all really need to just step out of your house and fly from there?
2019-12-23
Use props
Earth_blazing
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57428 ft
Netherlands

emaneg Posted at 12-23 06:10
What about going for a walk in the countryside... it's healty and you may go out of the NFZ nearby your house.

So you can power your drone and fly around!

Not everyone has the time to move out of the bluezones to go fly there drone. Or local laws might restrict them letting up there drones outside of some of the bluezones. I can name atleast half a dozen reasons why people might not be able to let them up. And the bluezones do not make it easier.
2019-12-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I sincerely hope that DJI are feeling the heat on this one...….. I wonder if they actually care.

I wonder If a DJI rep might like to reply but not with one of your odious standard comments
2019-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules