No unlocking of GEO Zones on Mini until at least late Dec
23037 275 2019-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FernandoSedrez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23993 ft
Brazil

I've drop an email to them about this and they answered with the same: It will be released in late December...
Then I replied this saying: How long is this "Late December" cuz we're already in late December..
And they said: We cannot provide a fixed timeframe, the tech department is working on this issue to release asap...

Well, it's almost Christmas and the drone will be in the box... SO SAAAAAAD
2019-12-23
Use props
robin
New
United States

I am in south Florida now and the geo zone near where I am, near potus, is about 50 miles in diameter.  I am grounded!! Very angry they put out such a poor software package.  And, it does not work well with my lg lg6 phone even though they say it does.  This bird may fly back to dji.       ree
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

robin@edelsonlaw.com Posted at 12-23 17:29
I am in south Florida now and the geo zone near where I am, near potus, is about 50 miles in diameter.  I am grounded!! Very angry they put out such a poor software package.  And, it does not work well with my lg lg6 phone even though they say it does.  This bird may fly back to dji.       ree

Hi Ree, someone else posted some time ago about tnfz due to potus. He must spend a lot of time in Florida or Florida just uses that to keep drone flights down, or so it seems. My gosh you guys must be about to pull your hair out just trying to get to do something you like.
2019-12-23
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

I am afraid dji  will never release software for mavic mini  
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp
lvl.1
Ukraine

if every one will put MM back to shop  i think dji will  fix issue
another thing if  this product cant fly autonomical and dji afraid to let em go to  authorized zones because of bi chance of crash
Fortunately  i can put them back  befor 31 dec so if fw  will not be published  ill do it ! I recommend doing the same to the rest
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_7Wz18U7Bi3Jp Posted at 12-24 04:22
if every one will put MM back to shop  i think dji will  fix issue
another thing if  this product cant fly autonomical and dji afraid to let em go to  authorized zones because of bi chance of crash
Fortunately  i can put them back  befor 31 dec so if fw  will not be published  ill do it ! I recommend doing the same to the rest

I agree. Vote with your wallets to get DJI's attention. I appreciate and agree with what you've said and the way you said it!!!
2019-12-24
Use props
TimmoH
lvl.1
Germany

Some here. I live in germany next to a park which is in a authorization zone. But here I'm allowed to fly  below 50m altitude. But I'm not able to start :-( Hopefully this will be fixed this week.
2019-12-24
Use props
jayjay70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34026 ft
Finland

We just got this mini yestarday as a christmas gift. You may guess how disappointed the kids were as we can't take off. We live in blue area also.

I googled this topic, chatted to DJI support, spent many hours on my christmas eve - no help. Only thing I got we shall got it late December. We-ll I just hope it will be before newyears eve. If I can't shoot fireworks show on that night, I will put this back to DJI in a small pieces
2019-12-25
Use props
gruszon188
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Poland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-23 00:06
Cos many of us have already waited almost 2 months.

Has it not occurred to people that all this late December update talk is just to prevent many people from returning their MM and push them past the date when they can no longer return.

I also belong to this group, but since we waited from December 1 to 15, we can wait until 31. It is important that this update was actually in December and not in January ..
2019-12-25
Use props
fansba33a937
New
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I am feeling the frustration for many of you that have yet to get the Mavic Mini in the air. Fortunately for me, I have some nice areas close to where I live that are well away from any Geo Zones. However, I am flying to Malaga on the 1st Jan and would like to get some footage to make a short video. The location we are staying is within an Authorisation Zone (Blue Zone), and moving further out there is a Warning Zone (Amber Zone). Believe it or not, I am a qualified pilot so I do understand a lot about airspace and I have no intentions of filming anywhere that I feel would be an immediate hazard to other aircraft. That being said however, I am new to drone flying. I bought the Mavic Mini as a good starter drone with the understanding that due to its weight I do not need to register or do any online training, but  I am currently overwhelmed with all of the information on the DJi Website and many forums about the current restrictions. Okay, so I understand that a firmware update of some description is planned to be released, and in the mean time I will just have to venture outside of the zones, but can somebody simplify this information for me please;

I only plan to fly recreationally. If I do decide to upgrade my drone or earn money from it then I will of course complete all the necessary training and registering. If somebody on here recommends that this is worth completing anyway (even with just the Mini) please just let me know.

Putting aside for one moment that a firmware update is required; if I want to fly the Mini within the current regulations (Not above 400ft, LOS etc...) but within an Authorisation Zone (Blue Zone) or a Warning Zone (Amber Zone), do I need to do anything prior to completing the steps through the DJI Go App or online to unlock the area? Do I need prior permission from a person or department before I can do so? For example, when working through the steps to request an unlock it asks if you have permission (if required) to fly in that area.

Thanks in advance for any advice from people If somebody can also tell me where exactly the official announcement will be posted for the firmware update that would be great. Of course I look on their website but nothing on the homepage jumps out at me.
2019-12-26
Use props
djiuser_0FpIe1F2W49n
New
Flight distance : 528 ft
United States

fansba33a937 Posted at 12-26 04:49
Hi All,

I am feeling the frustration for many of you that have yet to get the Mavic Mini in the air. Fortunately for me, I have some nice areas close to where I live that are well away from any Geo Zones. However, I am flying to Malaga on the 1st Jan and would like to get some footage to make a short video. The location we are staying is within an Authorisation Zone (Blue Zone), and moving further out there is a Warning Zone (Amber Zone). Believe it or not, I am a qualified pilot so I do understand a lot about airspace and I have no intentions of filming anywhere that I feel would be an immediate hazard to other aircraft. That being said however, I am new to drone flying. I bought the Mavic Mini as a good starter drone with the understanding that due to its weight I do not need to register or do any online training, but  I am currently overwhelmed with all of the information on the DJi Website and many forums about the current restrictions. Okay, so I understand that a firmware update of some description is planned to be released, and in the mean time I will just have to venture outside of the zones, but can somebody simplify this information for me please;

I am also having the same concern. Just got the Mini for Christmas and can't fly my drone in my backyard for more than a minute before it auto lands. I would love to know how I can unlock the zone or if there is anything I need to do like some kind of registration or class.
2019-12-26
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_0FpIe1F2W49n Posted at 12-26 11:27
I am also having the same concern. Just got the Mini for Christmas and can't fly my drone in my backyard for more than a minute before it auto lands. I would love to know how I can unlock the zone or if there is anything I need to do like some kind of registration or class.

You shouldn't have to take a class to do such things. Once the new firmware and updated s/w is released, you should be anble to request and unlock through the fly app.
2019-12-26
Use props
MuratA
lvl.2
United States

This is what i was really expecting. As i am new to DJI and its products i am now understanding that DJI does not care about customers. The sad thing is there should have been a smart competitor to bring this issue up and make the sales and bring down MM sales. Its a drone that can not fly. I still have a $500 plus brick sitting in its box. Many people received this as Xmas gift and i bet there are quite a few people that found out that they cant fly. If i had chance i would not have purchased this. I am sad that they do a really good product but their customer care is one of the worst i have encountered.
2019-12-26
Use props
MuratA
lvl.2
United States

This is what i was really expecting. As i am new to DJI and its products i am now understanding that DJI does not care about customers. The sad thing is there should have been a smart competitor to bring this issue up and make the sales and bring down MM sales. Its a drone that can not fly. I still have a $500 plus brick sitting in its box. Many people received this as Xmas gift and i bet there are quite a few people that found out that they cant fly. If i had chance i would not have purchased this. I am sad that they do a really good product but their customer care is one of the worst i have encountered.
2019-12-26
Use props
Stump
lvl.1
Norway

Same issue in Norway. Just sad
2019-12-26
Use props
Tony Faz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2379 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-18 15:33
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video and your insights with the DJI Mavic Mini. You are correct DJI will be launching a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly Application in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement or kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com. Please submit the unlocking request at that time. Thank you for your understanding and support.

as a long time developer i can tell you that anyone saying that it takes so much time to make the change has never been a product developer.  This single change that we have been waiting for *just so we can fly with authorization* is a switch in their software... if indeed it was a bug, then i wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the crashes, motors turning off in flight, etc... are all being caused by that issue (if it was a bug).  If it was not a bug, it was purposefully disabled because of one simple reason... DJI FLY responds to the request to unlock with a message that states that the app couldnt unlock it.
2019-12-26
Use props
fans205a301a
lvl.1
United States

New user with a new Mavic Mini due to arrive tomorrow. I live in a blue zone with a small local airport over the hill from my back yard. I have resisted buying a DJI drone because in the past I would not have been able to practice my flying skills in my back yard. I recently noticed the blue zone had changed and that self authorization was available, so I ordered a new mini today. Now I find out that I still will not be able to fly in my back yard as I thought. I am hoping that the firmware update that is being discussed will be released soon, otherwise I will probably return the mini. My work and school schedule limit my time for activities, so I do not have much time to drive to another area to fly, so being able to practice in my own yard is important to me.
2019-12-26
Use props
FernandoSedrez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23993 ft
Brazil

fans205a301a Posted at 12-26 19:06
New user with a new Mavic Mini due to arrive tomorrow. I live in a blue zone with a small local airport over the hill from my back yard. I have resisted buying a DJI drone because in the past I would not have been able to practice my flying skills in my back yard. I recently noticed the blue zone had changed and that self authorization was available, so I ordered a new mini today. Now I find out that I still will not be able to fly in my back yard as I thought. I am hoping that the firmware update that is being discussed will be released soon, otherwise I will probably return the mini. My work and school schedule limit my time for activities, so I do not have much time to drive to another area to fly, so being able to practice in my own yard is important to me.

we all hope it get released soon... veeeery soon.. Many ppl are returning this drone due to this kind of ridiculous problem..
2019-12-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like DJI have said it will be released on the 30th December
2019-12-27
Use props
djiuser_PC8SDZNZYAKS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 501214 ft
Austria

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-27 02:49
Looks like DJI have said it will be released on the 30th December

-> source????
the only one who posted this is a Facebook-page from india with gmail-emailadress...
theres nothing official from PR via dji... just a text from DJI Paladin from November 22nd with "... late december"... ist just blablabla...

so ill say: in late december santa Claus will fly over your house...
2019-12-27
Use props
djiuser_08IS4B3EXG65
lvl.1

Cuba

Is it out yet?
2019-12-27
Use props
djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_08IS4B3EXG65 Posted at 12-27 10:09
Is it out yet?

Nope.  I highly doubt anything will be resolved anytime soon.  They don't really seem to care much about customer satisfaction judging by the way they're handling this.  I returned mine.  Not the type of company I want to deal with.
2019-12-27
Use props
djiuser_SgjtdJ1cG9Pa
New
Ecuador

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-18 15:33
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video and your insights with the DJI Mavic Mini. You are correct DJI will be launching a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly Application in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement or kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com. Please submit the unlocking request at that time. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Good morning from the middle of the world Ecuador, when ia the update coming up, my house is in a blue zone and I can't unlock the geofencing.

Thank you and have a great day.
2019-12-28
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Ahh.......... late December, huh?

But did they say "late December" of what year???

Herein lies the question.

2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_08IS4B3EXG65
lvl.1

Cuba

DJI! Any comments ?!! Plzzzzzzzzz!!!
2019-12-28
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I would imagine they're working on a lot of changes other than just the authorization issue for this next release.

Incompatibility with android 10, compass cal issues, fly aways, lack of compatibility with most phones and tablets, etc., are all likely being rolled into the next release.

So while it may be relatively easy to fix the authorization zone issue, all of the other needed fixes might be holding up the much anticipated next release.  They probably don't want to make a bunch of incremental piecemeal releases.
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_Je0vi4qF2vDh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2270636 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am in an authorization zone. I can't even fly in my house. The Fly-safe authorization process doesn't list the DJI Mini on the DJI website. FAIL.
2019-12-28
Use props
Adrian358
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17940 ft
Peru

3 days less 3 day more, is the same, DJI TROLLING.
2019-12-28
Use props
Alan77505
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058789 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is disappointing is the disconnect within DJI.  The admins here should at the very least be provided with a status update as to whether the update will happen before January 1st or if not, when will the update happen.  It's not really professional or fair to have the admins face questions here unarmed without accurate information.
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_ktFO7sYBN2Pe
lvl.1
United States

fans470395e6 Posted at 11-24 11:05
I have a POTUS restriction on entire Miami. That means i have a $500 dollar brick!!! Such a bad decision to go live with a product that is not conplete

I’m in margate fl and pretty much the Same-thing
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_q3Yon3wnQ1Tb
New

Germany

Not pleased with the 500 euro paper weight. Contemplating whether to return this item. Not impressed as a first time dji buyer.
2019-12-28
Use props
CaraCasa
lvl.1

Canada

This is a very frustrating time and issue for everyone in these no-fly zones. I paid for the Mini, my very first drone, on Oct 30th. Being new to drones I purchased DJI’s Care Refresh package (one-year replacement program) as well, All excited about flying, until I realized I could not. I asked DJI if they would provide me with an extension on my Care Refresh, but they have so far ignored my question.

Extending the period of the Care Refresh to purchasers should be an easy and relatively inexpensive way for DJI to show appreciation to customers who are patiently awaiting a fix.
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_wOxo5BtL8ZWW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I feel everybody’s disappointment and  to top it off we have some forum members DEFENDING dji.  Why wouldn’t people express there frustrations on the official company forums, you have every right too.  I have always wanted to get a drone and now I have one. But can’t use it to practise in my controlled area.  Sure I can take it too a unlocked zone where I would have no control or experience and that would be stupid.

£500 might not be a lot to some but too me it is.  Forum members stating too be patient and shooting down new members to the dji forums for expressing there frustrations.

I will be amazed if we see this firmware this year
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_skiCuqJJAElv
New
United States

Hi , I am in Boca Raton , florida
And therei is also no way to have my new magic mini fly , except in doors at home !
What a joke !
and what a shame !!
It might be my first and  LAST DJI PRODUCT!...
2019-12-28
Use props
yamyamu
lvl.2
Turkey

How long does it have to be for being late december?
2019-12-28
Use props
Drone Retard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380344 ft
Romania

yamyamu Posted at 12-28 15:51
How long does it have to be for being late december?

Late December next year
2019-12-28
Use props
Tony Faz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2379 ft
United States

Where did DJI publish that date?
2019-12-28
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

It seems pretty clear to me that DJI rushed this drone to market so it would be available for the Christmas buying time period.  There are a lot of deficiencies in the firmware and app software as well.  Not just this authorization zone problem, but others that are equally as bad, such as incompatibility with many common phones and tablets.

While I appreciate the importance of meeting a pre-Christmas deadline, and many of the posts to this and other treads point out how many people bought or received this drone for or as a Christmas gift, it would have been more honest for DJI to have made the incompatibility issues and the restricted flight zones more apparent to potential buyers.  A warning that the device would NOT work in certain areas, and would NOT work with such a vast range of phones and tablets would have gone a long way towards allowing people to make better buying decisions.

Of course, it would have cost DJI quite a bit of sales as well because many people would have chosen to either wait, or get a different drone for Christmas.

I don't think the top execs at DJI fully understood how much of a disappointment it is for someone to give or receive a gift meant to delight the owner right away on Christmas morning only to find out at that fateful moment that the toy is, effectively, useless.

While I got mine well before Christmas as an early present to myself, and have not been completely grounded by those two particular problems (it's the nasty weather here that's been keeping me mostly grounded), I can imagine the disappointment to people receiving as well as those people giving a fancy new expensive toy only to find out too late that it's worthless because it won't work with the user's phone/tablet OR it won't take off because of where the person happens to live, even if they just wanted to try it out indoors.  These are not trivial issues.

But the dirty deed has been done.  The drones were no doubt manufactured and delivered to distributors in the anticipation that the firmware and phone/tablet app would be ready to go and available as an update by the time people had the hardware in their hands, or at least certainly by the time Christmas arrived.

I'm sure the developers are scrambling to get all of the necessary fixes made to the software and firmware.

At least I hope they are.  This sort of thing really can give a company a black eye in the minds of consumers.

Still, I can see how they likely want to fix a whole slew of problems all at once in one software/firmware release rather than dribbling out many new releases one right after the other.

So we may all have to wait for our "pet" problem to be fixed until a bunch of problems all get fixed.

I'd really planned on using a new tablet I bought at the same time as I ordered the Mini.  But alas, it isn't compatible despite being only a few weeks old.  I'm lucky that my phone does work, so I'm not grounded by this issue, but still, it's a disappointment.

Here's hoping for a new release that will make a LOT of people happy, and very soon.
2019-12-28
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-22 23:58
They are in China the mental people in the US who like to Sue at the drop of a hat cant get at them...… It might be a surprise to you but US laws don't apply in China

Well, it might be a surprise to you to learn that the marketing branches of DJI DO operate outside of China.  For example, in the US, their US marketing branch is subject to US laws.  If you think DJI is immune to the sue-happy system in the US, you're mistaken.  The US is a huge part of their market.  They can't afford to lose such a huge market, and they must, to a certain extent, play by the rules in the US in order to operate effectively here.

The marketing and distribution branches of DJI that are in the US are large and valuable, both to DJI and to potential plaintiffs.
2019-12-28
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-20 04:33
Actually, it is not true that DJI follows the restrictions of your government.  It definitely is not the case here in the US and I don't think it is the case for most countries around the world.

DJI has come up with their own "bow-tie" system they said is based on sound safety principles, but is not based directly on government regulations.  In the US, they do implement some pieces of FAA regulations.  An example of that is some of the Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR).  DJI has implemented many TFRs into their FlySafe system such as Stadium TFRs and VIP TFRs for presidential movements.

You'll note that I was referring to a post about the power and range of the WiFi radio transmission systems.
2019-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules