Mini Teardown reveals Ambarella H22 Video processor 4K?
12Next >
12125 44 2019-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Have a nose at this...Some brave soul has decided to dismantle their Mavic Mini, including the battery, to explore the guts of the aircraft in detail.
Interestingly, the video processing on the Mini is handled by the relatively new Ambarella H22 processor..  A processor 'designed' to manage 4K video at 60fps!!!
So ..... perhaps.....  DJI launching with 2.7K is but a teaser, knowing full well they can bringing out an update that will open up the Mini's full 4K potential if they choose to?
We can but dream... But the Mini certainly has the nads to do it!
Link to teardown here
Link to H22 processor here
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is interesting indeed. I've seen the tear down, just didn't pay any attention to the video chip. But I wonder if that is all that would need to be done is a software unlock?
2019-11-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

unlikely, it maybe capable of such task but looking at the specifications, its based on a pretty old design (cortex A53) and will likely choke on such tasks as encoding at 4K 60fps + re-encoding same video while downsampling for live preview to the app + flight control functionality.... alot this poor little chip has to do..

what i find interesting is it is a 32 bit chip, but the dji fly app requires 64 bit phones...  irony
2019-11-20
Use props
CYLSTUDIO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 375046 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you for the share, I knew it!!!  Well, I know Mini is the entry drone but trust me DJI, if you bring more features to the Mavic Mini, it will the biggest seller in DJI history..! Please please please............
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-20 13:38
unlikely, it maybe capable of such task but looking at the specifications, its based on a pretty old design (cortex A53) and will likely choke on such tasks as encoding at 4K 60fps + re-encoding same video while downsampling for live preview to the app + flight control functionality.... alot this poor little chip has to do..

A 32 bit chip on the drone really has no bearing on the software (DJI fly app) that runs it. Although I do get your point. It should be consistant. And I agree.
2019-11-20
Use props
DarrenG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I wonder what this is?
0557885C-C760-4AAC-9487-FE85244D5D18.jpeg
2019-11-20
Use props
powerlordUK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 11-20 14:34
A 32 bit chip on the drone really has no bearing on the software (DJI fly app) that runs it. Although I do get your point. It should be consistant. And I agree.

seems like it would be relatively easy then to replace the 2500mAh samsungs with 3000aH cells (samsung, lg, etc).

which would give another 20% flight time (well.. a bit less as I imagine the 3Ah cells weigh a few grams more)
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That I could see as an experiment. I could see the benefit of larger mah batteries if the weight increase didn’t off set the difference. That would be a cool experiment me thinks!!
2019-11-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Why would they intentionally cripple MM video performance? I will assume that any sane engineer will try to squeeze every drop of juice from what they've got ...
2019-11-20
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

If released Mavic mini with 4K, then why then need will issue Mavic mini 2!
2019-11-20
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

powerlordUK Posted at 11-20 14:42
seems like it would be relatively easy then to replace the 2500mAh samsungs with 3000aH cells (samsung, lg, etc).

which would give another 20% flight time (well.. a bit less as I imagine the 3Ah cells weigh a few grams more)

Can only be replaced with Sony VTC6 3000mAh. The rest do not pass through peak currents.
2019-11-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarrenG Posted at 11-20 14:38
I wonder what this is?

maybe a temperature sensor maybe?     IMU is very temperature sensitive devices and being this drone needs to draw as little power as possible and needs to be as low weight as possible they may be referring the shell (or skin) temperature to keep it stable.  plus with shell being so thin, using "skin" temperature i probably a functional value.  because they cant ad a heater to the IMU or add more isolating sheidling to keep its own heat in.
2019-11-20
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Alevpi Posted at 11-20 18:18
Can only be replaced with Sony VTC6 3000mAh. The rest do not pass through peak currents.

I believe LG HG2 also has the same cdc as the originals...
2019-11-20
Use props
miniger
lvl.2
Germany

.....I wonder what this is?.......

Looks like a Micro USB-B connector, like the one in the back.
2019-11-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

miniger Posted at 11-20 23:22
.....I wonder what this is?.......

I bet that is to install software in the MM at the Factory but not something we can easily get at..... As another person said perhaps for an improved MM2...… More Flight time and 4K perhaps
2019-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah.
I have seen that.
Still we won't get that.
(4K)
They have market it as 2.7K for a reason.
One we can only guess about.
2019-11-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Am I missing it?  But theres no mention of what the camera sensor actually is.
2019-11-21
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 11-20 14:34
A 32 bit chip on the drone really has no bearing on the software (DJI fly app) that runs it. Although I do get your point. It should be consistant. And I agree.

But Isn't the A53 a 64bit capable processor?

From the cortex info page:
"The AArch64 state gives the Cortex-A53 its ability to execute 64-bit applications, while the AArch32 state allows the processor to execute existing Armv7-A applications."

This the processor is capable of handling both 32 and 64 bit applications..
https://developer.arm.com/ip-pro ... cortex-a/cortex-a53
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes, if a chip or OS for that matter, is 64 bit, it can execute either. But if it’s 32 bit, it can’t execute 64 bit only 32.
2019-11-21
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 11-21 03:51
Yes, if a chip or OS for that matter, is 64 bit, it can execute either. But if it’s 32 bit, it can’t execute 64 bit only 32.

Hi, i was alluding to a poster higher up, who was stating the A53 is a 32bit processor.  However the Mini appears to have a Quad Core A53 64bit capable processor for video..
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PhasedSpaces Posted at 11-21 05:13
Hi, i was alluding to a poster higher up, who was stating the A53 is a 32bit processor.  However the Mini appears to have a Quad Core A53 64bit capable processor for video..

Yeah, but reading down the specs list for the ambarella chip, it's only a 32 bit data bus and that chip provides the image sensor pipeline.  It may work for all intensive purposes, it would depend on a few variables in this situation that I don't have the information on.
2019-11-21
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 11-21 05:54
Yeah, but reading down the specs list for the ambarella chip, it's only a 32 bit data bus and that chip provides the image sensor pipeline.  It may work for all intensive purposes, it would depend on a few variables in this situation that I don't have the information on.

Hmmmm .  I guess only time will tell, by what DJI release firmware-wise & gradually enhance capabilities.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PhasedSpaces Posted at 11-21 05:57
Hmmmm .  I guess only time will tell, by what DJI release firmware-wise & gradually enhance capabilities.

I'd love 4k personally. That and active track!!
2019-11-21
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Thing is - it doesn't really matter if its 4k, 8k, 16k, etc, etc - the camera SENSOR determines the actual quality. As it is a "1/2.3 CMOS" sensor - the actual image 'quality' will be poorer (i.e., 'pixelated') if you go up to 4k, etc. So you aren't getting more "information" in the image - it's essentially just 'stretched' to 4k pixels instead of 2k.

If you really want "4k" video - simply take the videos you take as 2k (full UHD) - and re-render it as 4k in your video application. The final 'video' result will be very similar to what it would look like if the processor "nativately" took "4k video" with a 1/2.3 CMOS sensor...
2019-11-21
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

You need to consider what running the video chip at full capacity means in regards to heat. Probably the same reason that the MP2 isn't taking full advantage of it's sensor too. DJI builds a sleek looking drone for marketing purposes but they haven't figured out how to build one that takes full advantage of the onboard hardware without generating so much heat where they don't drop out of the sky. Maybe someday.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That was one of the variables I was talking about. One of which is what is the camera sensor capable of. I agree at 1/2.3 the video at 4k would look stretched. And they don't want this drone cutting into the market of their others.

On the subject of batteries, I've owned a few brands of 18650's. Currently using LG HG2's for my vaping. I've never had samsung batteries, but they've all had the same max current draw rating of 40 amps. 20 amp continuous. I wouldn't think the mini would draw that much current?
2019-11-21
Use props
powerlordUK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

well, you can work it out - another poster did a test of full throttle flight time - it was around 20 mins.

2.5ah/0.33 = 7.6 amps.

On the subject of sensor size -smartphone make do with similar size sensors and are capable of excellent 4k video, so 1/2.3 sensor size is not a problem. and as it takes 12mp stills.

however it would use a significant amount of extra power to do 4k - look how hot a gopro gets for example or the time an osmo pocket can record on a set of batteries and you can work out the power need to cover the increased data rate - 4k (3840x2160 = 8.2mp) vs 2.7k (2704x1520 = 4.1mp). i.e. its TWICE as much raw data.

I personally don't think its practical on the mini even if technically possible. And tbh - the 2.7k is great. And remember out the box it's set to 1080p - frankly I'd bet that for the majority of fliers (first drone buyers, etc) it's never changed from that.

2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

powerlordUK Posted at 11-21 09:46
well, you can work it out - another poster did a test of full throttle flight time - it was around 20 mins.

2.5ah/0.33 = 7.6 amps.

At that current, one might think any 18650 would work. I use mine in a vape and I know the LG HG2's work very well.

4K on the MM would be nice, but I'm going to have to agree with you. I don't think it would be practical.
2019-11-21
Use props
DarrenG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 01:31
Yeah.
I have seen that.
Still we won't get that.

It’s not micro USB. A sensor of some sort.
6E94ED1C-96BB-4F41-A7A6-B4A136D13668.jpeg
2019-11-21
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Isn't this the same 4k processor found in the Osmo Pocket?  Not sure what camera sensor the Mini has, but I can only dream if DJI would unlock 4k, (hardware permitted).  Imagine DJI adding a in-purchase option to the Fly App to unlock 4k.  Lol!  Come on DJI, lets make it happen.  Yeah, I know... wishful thinking.  
2019-11-21
Use props
Cenk Birge
lvl.1

Turkey

I really wish to see 4K in this drone. DJI !!!
2019-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarrenG Posted at 11-21 13:54

We were talking about 4K which the mini probably won't get (even though it might be capable enough)
2019-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Joemar7 Posted at 11-21 14:08
Isn't this the same 4k processor found in the Osmo Pocket?  Not sure what camera sensor the Mini has, but I can only dream if DJI would unlock 4k, (hardware permitted).  Imagine DJI adding a in-purchase option to the Fly App to unlock 4k.  Lol!  Come on DJI, lets make it happen.  Yeah, I know... wishful thinking.

From what I have seen so far 4K resolution output won't give you sharper image.
The lens itself does not have the resolving power to generate that much detail.
So in essence you will be storing more pixels, but not more detail.
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day PhasedSpaces. Thank you for for sharing these links and these information with us. As of the moment, we don't have any information regarding DJI's future products and updates. Please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2019-11-23
Use props
MegaTesla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224 ft
South Africa

There are lots of good battery options, but all of them will push the mini over 250g. If the batteries weren't so expensive I would try to upgrade one.

Samsung 25R (green), 8.342 Wh when discharging at 5A. Weight 44g. 0.19 Wh / gram (info from lygte-info website)

LG HG2                          9.676 Wh, 45g
Samsung 30Q             10.079 Wh, 46gPana NCR18650G       10.376 Wh, 46g
Sony VTC6                    10.409 Wh, 47g
LG MJ1                           10.821 Wh, 47g
LG M36                          10.884 Wh, 48.5g
Pana NCR18650GA      11.043 Wh, 47.4g
Samsung 35E                11.158 Wh, 48,3g

Hacking the mini to use something like a Sanyo 20700 would be interesting. At 13.885 Wh and 61g weight the mini will gain 40% more energy with a 34g weight penalty.

2019-11-27
Use props
Paultimate
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154 ft
United States

This is a weird thread with many people that dont understand some basic things. For people google-fuing in like me, some answers. The below is true for hardware in the future as well.

1. Why would DJI (or any company) have hardware that (may or may not be) is software locked?
A. Because buying hardware in bulk is cheaper on procureing and implementing in design. You do not buy hardware that is *just* powerful enough for one model. You buy bulk hardware that can cover as many models as possible so designs are reusable and potential of hardware can be slowly filled over 2-4 years. This is almost required to do. Do you think AMD or Intel come out with a whole new archetecture for their CPUs every year? Be reasonable.  

2.  OMG it has a chip that can process 4k video!!!11
A1. Simply because a chip is capable of 4k, 8k, 16k video compression, DOESNT MEAN IT CAN RECORD THOSE RESOLUTIONS. It just means that it can process those if those resolutions come its way.
A2. *IF* the cmos light collection itself is capable of native 4K photon capture, then you *might* be in luck that someone can make a hack to the software if it is software locked below that.
A3. This doesnt mean the glass infront of all that hardware is the same quality as a newer model.

3. "what i find interesting is it is a 32 bit chip, but the dji fly app requires 64 bit phones...  irony"
     "A 32 bit chip on the drone really has no bearing on the software (DJI fly app) that runs it. Although I do get your point. It should be consistant. And I agree."
A1. This is not what irony means.
A2. This is like saying its "ironic" that not all cars on the highway have smaller tires as a semi. All cars on the highway should have tires as big as a semi for "continuity"
A3. You use the right tool for the job. If a 32bit chip gets the job done, how in your head does this have any impact whatsoever on ANYTHING else except you personally like numbers to be the same? This is a personal issue.

When we start seeing 5K+ in sub $500 drones, remember this stuff and temper your misguided thoughts, its super simple.
2020-11-26
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

DarrenG Posted at 2019-11-21 13:54

That's the compass, the big puck is the gps module. Some compasses are attached to the back side of the gps puck, others can be relocated.  
2020-11-26
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2019-11-20 15:45
Why would they intentionally cripple MM video performance? I will assume that any sane engineer will try to squeeze every drop of juice from what they've got ...

There were 2 reasons why DJI had only 2.7K instead of 4K. First, DJI didn't want to overlap with the existing at the time Mavic Air. Second, the testers that got the Mini for test before production had 4K cam but experienced overheat due lack of cooling and DJI lowered the resolution to limit the heat on the processor.
2020-11-26
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

amferreira Posted at 11-26 09:41
There were 2 reasons why DJI had only 2.7K instead of 4K. First, DJI didn't want to overlap with the existing at the time Mavic Air. Second, the testers that got the Mini for test before production had 4K cam but experienced overheat due lack of cooling and DJI lowered the resolution to limit the heat on the processor.

how do you know it ? about the overheat? i doubt it ,,,
2020-11-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

amferreira Posted at 11-26 09:41
There were 2 reasons why DJI had only 2.7K instead of 4K. First, DJI didn't want to overlap with the existing at the time Mavic Air. Second, the testers that got the Mini for test before production had 4K cam but experienced overheat due lack of cooling and DJI lowered the resolution to limit the heat on the processor.

Finally somebody well informed chimed in, thank you! Oh, BTW ... ask Frank what brand of clubs he's preferring when golfing with him next time, will ya?
2020-11-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules