Larger monitor for controller (Mavic Mini)
17825 38 2019-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SStone
lvl.1
United States

I am looking for an inexpensive monitor that I can use with the mavic mini. I want a larger screen than my phone. I have a nice tablet (samsung galaxy tab A) but it doesn't seem to work. I just discovered the list of approved Android products. Unfortunatly that list doesn't tell if it is a phone or tablet etc.  They also have less than 50 devices and that isn't many when you think of the last 5 yrs worth of tablets and phones that hit the market.

Anyone know any good inexpensive tablets that would work?  Thanks, Steve
2019-11-20
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ipad mini 3 or 4 work. as for android tablets. not much as of yet
2019-11-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Your best bet is on iOS devices, well tested for reliability with DJI drones. Naturally you'll need a special adapter to hold bigger device with controller, such as

https://www.mavmount.com/index.php/shop/
2019-11-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you and welcome to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI members can provide you the best response for this query. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-11-20
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59511 ft
United States

Best choice would be an iPad mini 3, 4 or 5. It will fit without a tablet holder, but you'll need a longer remote cable. If you search amazon for a " Mavic micro usb to lightning cable" you'll find plenty to chose from. This one from RCGEEK seems to be the most popular one. https://www.amazon.com/RCGEEK-Co ... ExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2019-11-20
Use props
SStone
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys but I really want an Android tablet that will work........  They say an Android should work. Just need to find out what ones...
2019-11-20
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a iPad mini with LTE for connection to the web on sit. I’m selling for just $175
2019-11-20
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 212051 ft
United States

SStone Posted at 11-20 17:02
Thanks guys but I really want an Android tablet that will work........  They say an Android should work. Just need to find out what ones...

I did get the Go Fly app to install and connected to a Mavic Mini using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e.  

2019-11-20
Use props
SStone
lvl.1
United States

infinigrove Posted at 11-20 17:26
I did get the Go Fly app to install and connected to a Mavic Mini using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e.  

Wonder why I can't get the fly app to install on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
2019-11-20
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

SStone Posted at 11-20 17:50
Wonder why I can't get the fly app to install on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

Samsung saves and " a " savings on 32bit OS or 2Gb memory is not enough for him!
Of the cheap Android tablets
Xiaomi MI Max 3
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
the program normally installs and runs, but has not been tested in operation to the mavic mini, as it is still on the way.

But you as a person living in the US, I would also recommend to take the Apple iPad mini, you should not have a problem buying a restored or used. Can you believe this is the best option, although I also love Android more.
2019-11-20
Use props
SStone
lvl.1
United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-20 18:08
Samsung saves and " a " savings on 32bit OS or 2Gb memory is not enough for him!
Of the cheap Android tablets
Xiaomi MI Max 3

Are you saying I need at least a 64 bit tablet? What size memory or what are the minimal specs for the app to run correctly?
2019-11-20
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use an Ipad Mini 4... Does the job fine. YOu should be able to find yourself a good 2nd handy
2019-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

SStone Posted at 11-20 18:55
Are you saying I need at least a 64 bit tablet? What size memory or what are the minimal specs for the app to run correctly?

Yes, the DJI Fly app is only compatible with 64bit Android devices.

Also, keep in mind that the Fly app is still only officially supported on phones.  It works fine on the iPad, but it is in compatibility mode.  You have to click the little magnifier button in the lower right corner to stretch the screen out to fill the full iPad screen.  So you lose some additional clarity of the image when doing this.
2019-11-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 11-20 15:36

The Ipad Mini 3 and 4 do not work at all well. They just stretch the iPhone app and look terrible. Believe me I have tried. Wait a while and I am sure this will be sorted
2019-11-21
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-21 00:00
The Ipad Mini 3 and 4 do not work at all well. They just stretch the iPhone app and look terrible. Believe me I have tried. Wait a while and I am sure this will be sorted

may not work well. but it does work.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Is that why crystal sky is nogood? Is it not 64 bit?
2019-11-21
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Bright Spark Posted at 11-21 01:40
Is that why crystal sky is nogood? Is it not 64 bit?

You need a 64bit operating system, but it is often confused with a 64bit processor, many devices have a 32bit operating system on a 64bit processor.
2019-11-21
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

And keep in mind that HUAWEI MediaPad M5 8.4 does not fit into the remote without a special bracket.
2019-11-21
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

I am using the Asus ZenPad 8 Tablet with the Tello and Spark without ANY problems.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 11-21 03:20
You need a 64bit operating system, but it is often confused with a 64bit processor, many devices have a 32bit operating system on a 64bit processor.

Hi thanks for info.

So at present the app is 64bit, and not able to run on 32 bit processor?
So only 2 options? 1.  make app 32 bit   2. Upgrade processor to 64?
2019-11-21
Use props
Tripntx
lvl.2

United States

As a new drone pilot, I stressed for several days over which tablet to purchase after I preordered my MM, especially since I have never owned a tablet or apple product before. I was able to find Wi-Fi only iPad Mini deals at Costco & AAFES, but the lack of GPS is what caused me to stress, and the cost for a cellular version was to steep.

In the end I finally purchased a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" with 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, and added a 256GB mSD card. The Mediapad M5 is a great tablet. The display is bright, has excellent resolution, and the GPS works.

As a dedicated tablet, I have been flying my MM with a MediaPad M5 8.4" every day since Nov 11th. On the morning of Nov 14th I had issues getting it to connect. Not exactly sure, but the evening before I had turned on 'developer mode' but hadn't changed any settings in it, and I had installed MS office. Performed factory reset that morning, and have been flying MM Huawei MediaPad as the interface multiple times a day since then without any further issues.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" has an extremely nice display, the video is not stretched like it currently is on iPad Mini, and it doesn't seem to place as much of a drain on the Remote Controller battery as so many people led you to believe about android devices.

A couple of days ago, I performed one hour worth of flying (three flights approx. 20 minutes each) without recharging the controller. It had one solid led, and a second flashing led. The second led didn't start flashing until approx. 55 minute flight time, which means it enough battery in the RC for more flying.
2019-11-21
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Tripntx Posted at 11-21 09:06
As a new drone pilot, I stressed for several days over which tablet to purchase after I preordered my MM, especially since I have never owned a tablet or apple product before. I was able to find Wi-Fi only iPad Mini deals at Costco & AAFES, but the lack of GPS is what caused me to stress, and the cost for a cellular version was to steep.

In the end I finally purchased a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" with 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, and added a 256GB mSD card. The Mediapad M5 is a great tablet. The display is bright, has excellent resolution, and the GPS works.

I do not know how to remote from mavic mini, but the remote from mavic pro tablet Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" does not fit, you need to use a special holder!
2019-11-21
Use props
Tripntx
lvl.2

United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-21 19:07
I do not know how to remote from mavic mini, but the remote from mavic pro tablet Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" does not fit, you need to use a special holder!

Not really sure what point you are trying to make unless it is the fact I didn't state what other items are needed, which is a mount and an OTG cable.

Yes, I'm using a mavmount to hold the mediapad onto the MM RC. It seems to be one of the higher quality mounts available.
2019-11-21
Use props
SStone
lvl.1
United States

Tripntx Posted at 11-21 09:06
As a new drone pilot, I stressed for several days over which tablet to purchase after I preordered my MM, especially since I have never owned a tablet or apple product before. I was able to find Wi-Fi only iPad Mini deals at Costco & AAFES, but the lack of GPS is what caused me to stress, and the cost for a cellular version was to steep.

Thank you. This was very helpful.  Now where to get one of those pads cheap.....  I will look on ebay.
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_GNEVLQXSq8Vi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117628 ft

Australia

TheCameraGuy Posted at 11-20 17:07
I have a iPad mini with LTE for connection to the web on sit. I’m selling for just $175

Where are you?
2019-12-20
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry, it’s sold
2019-12-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 11-20 15:36

The Ipad Mini 3 and 4 do not work Properly...….I wish people would stop saying this.

The App is just a phone app that is stretched... Looks and operates terrible
2019-12-21
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 00:24
The Ipad Mini 3 and 4 do not work Properly...….I wish people would stop saying this.

The App is just a phone app that is stretched... Looks and operates terrible

it downloads and runs and shows image so that to me is working. and i dont know about for you but to me thats better than not working. yes i know its stretched app. but i have no complaints on the look and function, but my Mini 3 is also the cell version so that may help not sure
2019-12-21
Use props
fansdfc5e11e
New

Trinidad and Tobago

does it have to have a gps built in or just WiFi
2020-2-14
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansdfc5e11e Posted at 2-14 06:00
does it have to have a gps built in or just WiFi

For the Ipad Mini 4 or 5, you only need the cellular version which has the gps circuitry if:

• You want to change the home point to a new home point (the location of the Ipad) when the AC is in the air. Normally the homepoint is set by the AC gps at start up and take-off.
  • If you want live updates of mapping when at a location , but you could also hotspot a phone to get the connection for the tablet instead.

So it's not absolutely necessary to get the cellular version of the Ipad Mini 4 or 5, wi-fi will be fine

2020-2-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

lannes Posted at 2-14 20:22
For the Ipad Mini 4 or 5, you only need the cellular version which has the gps circuitry if:

twink Relocate
2020-2-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Here is a list of compatible devices that are compatible with DJI Fly that have a blue label or percentages on a blue background, these are devices that are verified by users in the work.
2020-2-14
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used several ios with zero problems and would not use any other monitoring system.
2020-2-14
Use props
djiuser_zftkChTeISzf
lvl.2
United States

Has any one used the 18" Galaxy View tablet with their Drone? Not sure how good it would be in direct sunlight?
2020-4-26
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

I was looking for that too, and found the Visor X solution, great for me, give it a look
2020-5-2
Use props
kenholz
lvl.3
United States

Bal00 Posted at 2020-5-2 02:21
I was looking for that too, and found the Visor X solution, great for me, give it a look

Really Bal00?  Those things actually work?  I thought they had a bit of "too good to be true" in their advertising but this is interesting.  Are they any good in sunlight?  And where did you find them?
2021-3-14
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

kenholz Posted at 3-14 18:51
Really Bal00?  Those things actually work?  I thought they had a bit of "too good to be true" in their advertising but this is interesting.  Are they any good in sunlight?  And where did you find them?

It's basically a double mirror: you place your smartphone in the window and that's it (no battery).. fantastic and easy, cheap, and light (compared to a vr mask).. Last time I saw it online it was on aliexpress for 37€.. Works really well, for netflix, tv and games too (during flights, in your bed, on your couch..) I recommend it !
My solution against sunlight reflects (from below): a "chador" made of black fabric and velcro (in order to remove it when useless):

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... %3D&nothumb=yes

2021-3-16
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

kenholz Posted at 3-14 18:51

https://fr.gearbest.com/electronics-gadgets/pp_009701173189.html
2021-4-22
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

Yet two other links:
https://www.alpay-gultekin.de/pr ... -pour-loupe-decran/
https://www.anadx.co.uk/products ... ted-virtual-reality

2021-4-30
Use props