Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Galaxy S8 restarts mid-flight
123Next >
7210 98 2019-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have had this happen twice now, the DJI Fly app 1.0.1 caused my S8 to reboot just after takeoff with the Mini. The S8 is updated with the latest official november Firmware and it is not unlocked or rooted and I have had no issues at all with any other app. Not sure, but it seemed to me this happened when the cable was not 100% completely attached to the phone.
Are there more people who experienced spontaneous reboots of their Android phone with the Fly App?
2019-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What drone are you controlling with the fly app?
2019-11-22
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Since this is the Mini forum, and I think the only currently supported drone is the Mini... it was the Mini.
2019-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Can you please clarify if what drone are you currently using to run the DJI Fly application? Is this the Mavic Mini? If yes, can you please send us a short video clip showing the rebooting process on your Samsung S8 for us to further isolate the issue. Just a friendly reminder, using the application on a different drone model may cause some issues since it is only optimized for the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2019-11-22
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

As mentioned in my previous reply it's the Mini (which you probably meant to say in your reply). I have not tried to reproduce it yet, so no video of it happening from another device.  I was just wondering if there are more people experiencing this, or if it is an isolated issue with just my phone. I am also not willing to do a factory reset on my phone yet, I'll just wait and see how it plays out.
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 245203 ft
Australia

My Galaxy s8+ has restarted 3x or so now mid flight. Very frustrating.
2019-11-28
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just happened again with the latest 1.0.3 version!
Just when RTH kicked in my S8 restarted and it took almost 2 minutes to restart into the Fly app again, very annoying!
2019-11-29
Use props
AviR69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25745 ft
Israel

Same thing here with Samsung Note 8 and  Fly App 1.0.3
Before it happend I was unable to switch between video and photo mode, the drone was still in mid flight and controllable .
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_lKGX29Lg2pwy
lvl.1

Estonia

Same here, 2x reboots. Phone is S8 updated to latest firmware. All programs is were closed and phone is set to fly mode.
2019-11-29
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 212051 ft
United States

I'm using a Galaxy S8 Note and it has NOT restarted at all while flying or connected to the Mavic Mini controller.  I've probably flown the MM about 3 or so hours total with the S8 Note.

However, my Galaxy S8 Note is just for flying the drone, it does NOT have phone service.  It is always in "airplane mode" when connected to the controller and there is a minimum amount of apps running on it.  
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_KscgaempE0aO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47904 ft
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-22 08:05
Hi, thank you for reaching out. Can you please clarify if what drone are you currently using to run the DJI Fly application? Is this the Mavic Mini? If yes, can you please send us a short video clip showing the rebooting process on your Samsung S8 for us to further isolate the issue. Just a friendly reminder, using the application on a different drone model may cause some issues since it is only optimized for the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Same problem here.  During my last 2 flights  my Samsung S8 rebooted twice.

Both the app as phone are up to date (firmware).

2019-12-1
Use props
djiuser_KscgaempE0aO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47904 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_KscgaempE0aO Posted at 12-1 12:15

What if a fly away will ocure? is this covered by any waranty as it looks like the reboot is caused by the DJI App?
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

djiuser_KscgaempE0aO Posted at 12-1 12:19
What if a fly away will ocure? is this covered by any waranty as it looks like the reboot is caused by the DJI App?

I suposse yes, I wonder if you can disable updating the DJI FLY APP while using data, and only allow it over Wifi or something, in the iPhone you can choose which APPs allow updates depending on the connection.
2019-12-1
Use props
djiuser_p4kjUuqZncyt
New

Spain

Hi there,

I wasn't able to use DJI Fly app with my Samsung Galaxy S8, when I plug in the cable, sometimes the phone start charging, but is not able to see the controller, so I cannot use it with my S8. I tried with a different micro-usb to usb-c cable with no luck... with an iPhone is working perfectly though. No changes in my Samsung, I'm using the standard firmware, and I've also formatted it.

Did you guys change something in Android to allow DJI Fly app connect with it?

Regards
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_KscgaempE0aO Posted at 12-1 12:15

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please try to sync all of your flight records and try to uninstall and reinstall the application to see if the problem persists? Also, if you have a chance to change a mobile device for us to further isolate the issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-12-1
Use props
djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-1 15:41
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please try to sync all of your flight records and try to uninstall and reinstall the application to see if the problem persists? Also, if you have a chance to change a mobile device for us to further isolate the issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

I have reinstalled app etc and only flown in flight mode. It seems the restart happens when there is a "signal lost" error.

Any suggestions?
2019-12-25
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I used to have this problem until I got rid of "screen time out". Get an app that turns off screen time settings and your probs are solved !!!
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa Posted at 12-25 01:36
I have reinstalled app etc and only flown in flight mode. It seems the restart happens when there is a "signal lost" error.

Any suggestions?

Hi, can you please try to use a different mobile device for us to further isolate the issue? Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2019-12-26
Use props
djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-26 16:24
Hi, can you please try to use a different mobile device for us to further isolate the issue? Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have just done a long flight with my wife's iPhone 6, and it worked without any problems . when I switched to my Galaxy within minutes ago an error of image transmission and then phone rebooted.
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_HFVtq0l4PAAE
New

Croatia

I have S8 for a long time. Great phone. But then I bougt mavic mini. DJI fly app restarted phone 3 times during flight. About 2 hours of flight time till now. No pattern found. Once it working perfect for 20 min flight, and another time it restarts after 2 min. Pretty anoying thing. Mini was very close during every restart so I landed it easy, but Im wondering is RTH working if mobile phone is in restarting and drone is too far that I can clearly see where is headed to ?!?!
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I had a great session today with no restarts.

The restarts only occur when the drone gives a loss-of-signal or similar error. If there are no similar errors, there are no reboots.
2019-12-30
Use props
jz729
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4130922 ft
Suriname

I have a Galaxy S7 and I've had my phone reboot a few times mid flight. I've also just had the app crash. Do you guys have enough storage space on your phones? I noticed when I had image/video cacheing enabled, the app would crash or phone would restart once my storage space was full. You might want to try clearing the cache, and flying with the cache disabled and see if that helps.
2019-12-30
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It can also be your screen time out. Downloaded  the screen off app and that solved that problem.
Also a loose connection from RC to mobile device can cause that
2019-12-30
Use props
Sirius99
lvl.1
United Kingdom

my S8 has rebooted once ...BUT  the biggest issue is that when i press the take-off/Land icon on the screen more often than not the S8 takes me back to its home screen and i have to tab around the open applications and try to land/take off again .... Oh and the OTG cable really needs to be a couple of inches longer ...with my phones case on it the connector only just reaches the ohone to connect ... DJI please not and amend your manufacturing..
2019-12-31
Use props
djiuser_v4DoGycqDlKt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202913 ft
Philippines

djiuser_gEyUPSNlq7qa Posted at 2019-12-25 01:36
I have reinstalled app etc and only flown in flight mode. It seems the restart happens when there is a "signal lost" error.

Any suggestions?

Using Note 8. Phone restarted 3x whenever there was signal lost.
2020-1-8
Use props
MavMiniNote8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 382254 ft
Denmark

I have had my Samsung Note 8 restart on 2 different occasions .On the first occasion it restarted 3 times and the drone returned using RTH, while I desperately tried to control it between reboots, and on the second occasion the drone ended crashing, and I'm currently using the first of my care services to get it fixed. Getting the drone back on Monday.

I'm running DJI Fly v1.03, and the phone is up to date, and was nearly fully charged on both occasions.

I hope you will look into this, as it is scaring me from flying the drone, if I know that at any point my phone can restart, making the drone dead in the water until I might gain control again.
2020-1-9
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'll say it again, 3rd time round. Check your SCREEN OFF time as your samsung thinks it's idle and screen goes off and connection to RC is lost. Works for both, my dedicated drone S6 and S7.
Sorry, connection isnt lost but you cant see the screen. Just hit RTH anyway
2020-1-9
Use props
MavMiniNote8
lvl.1
Denmark

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 1-9 00:35
I'll say it again, 3rd time round. Check your SCREEN OFF time as your samsung thinks it's idle and screen goes off and connection to RC is lost. Works for both, my dedicated drone S6 and S7.
Sorry, connection isnt lost but you cant see the screen. Just hit RTH anyway

The phone reboots. It's not just the screen turning off. I have to enter my pin code and start the app again.
2020-1-9
Use props
MavMiniNote8
lvl.1
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-9 01:21
There are so many potential issues that can cause an app crash that it is difficult to sayfor sure.  I have not had the Fly app crash on my devices, but I have had Go/Go4 crash on rare occasions.  It could be a quirk with the Fly app & your particular hardware, some other app installed on the device, or perhaps low available memory.  If you are experiencing app crashes a good start is to close any unnecessary background programs.  Rebooting the phone before flight is another option.  People tend to forget modern phones are really sophisticated computers.  Sometimes poorly designed programs hold or leak memory & it's always a good idea to restart your device now & then.  When I first began flying drones I was using an HTC One M7.  It worked great with Go but it would randomly crash.  I quickly learned that rebooting before a flight session ended the app crashes.

A lot of primarily Samsung phone owners in this thread, suggest it's not just a quirk IMO.
2020-1-9
Use props
German DroneTV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 741864 ft
Germany

If you love your drone, don´t fly with android
2020-1-9
Use props
MavMiniNote8
lvl.1
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-9 15:46
If they are S10 or Note 10 users the issue is for models with the Exynos processor running Android 10.  DJI & Samsung are working on that issue.  S10 or Note 10 models with SnapDragon processors work fine.

If you mean Samsung in general, that is likely just due to Samsung being an extremely popular brand with lots of devices in use.

I Just took the time counting the phones version number in this thread to give a better picture of the problem with the rebooting phones:

1 samsung galaxy 7
6 samsung galaxy 8
4 samsung note 8

No other brand or version numbers mentioned with the same problem.

I see a worrying pattern, even if Samsung is a popular brand.
2020-1-10
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

i just got this issue, 6 min into the flight, signal lost, my Note 8 rebooted, after starting DJI Fly app was reset so i had to agree to all terms, enter username and password...while drone was RTH..good thing it was high enought and FC worked. Nevertheless very annoying issue! running DJI Fly 1.0.6.
2020-2-16
Use props
Hover82
lvl.1

Austria

My Exynos (EU Version) of the Samsung S9 also restarted many times during flight :/ So it seems to be a Samsung problem.

Some days ago I upgraded to Android 10 and havent flown with it yet. Maybe Android 10 fixed it, but Android 9 had the issue.
2020-2-16
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

I have had my European Galaxy S9+ (Android 9) restart at least on 3 occasions mid flight (the latest a couple of days ago) - and also after the flight (a couple of days ago). Really frustrating.
2020-2-16
Use props
Maxpedition
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202913 ft
Philippines

djiuser_v4DoGycqDlKt Posted at 1-8 18:35
Using Note 8. Phone restarted 3x whenever there was signal lost.

Same here. Note 8 user. Airplane mode. Firmware updated. Phone reboots everytime I get lost connection. Then drone initiates RTH. By the time the phone has finished rebooting, the drone has landed or is in landing sequence.
2020-2-21
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 and have never had it reboot while flying, even if there is a temporary loss of comms. However, I have seen it reboot when there is an anomaly like a crash.
2020-2-21
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11119 ft
Switzerland

The only good news in all of this ... is that we can fly the drone with the radio control alone.
At least that's beyond it.
Good luck  ;)
2020-2-22
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Maxpedition Posted at 2-21 18:06
Same here. Note 8 user. Airplane mode. Firmware updated. Phone reboots everytime I get lost connection. Then drone initiates RTH. By the time the phone has finished rebooting, the drone has landed or is in landing sequence.

NOTE 8 Snapdragon version and I don't have this problem
2020-2-22
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Folks, you need to ID your phones better, there is many different versions of Galaxy devices
Post the complete model number
2020-2-22
Use props
fans15d4fe1d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Galaxy S6 rooted would reboot occasionally...went back to stock and never happened again...I think they kinna heat up with DJI Fly and that causes reboots...I got rid of lotsa bloatware, which seems to fix the prob.
2020-2-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules