Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery or car charger?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136483 ft
Italy

What would you buy?
a second battery or the car charger?
It seems a silly question but we generally use the Phantm far from home, so just 20 mins couldn't be enough to get the right video/shot or the right time...
Don't say both because is too easy!
2019-11-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching you to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI members can provide you the best recommendation for this query. In addition, just a friendly reminder to ensure that you are purchasing a genuine DJI products please visit our online store website at ( https://store.dji.com/?site=brandsite&from=nav ).  Thank you for your valued support.
2019-11-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I will tell you what I do, then make up your own mind. I have three batteries, and I also carry a small  cheap car charger I bought on eBay for about $25 and that does me for all my work. Quite often I fly all 3 batteries, and on rare occasions I need to fly more, but in most cases I am moving to a new location, so I recharge one of the batteries in the car on the way.
2019-11-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Having one battery is very limiting and I would always advise at least two batterys.  I have 3 and most times I will use at least 2. If I know I will use all 3 - I will put first used onto car charger while I fly the next two. By time I have flown those - first is full charged.

A car charger ... I bought for less than $10 of ebay and it works as good as any other charger.

So to the OP ..... I apologise - but have to say - buy another battery AND a car charger ...
2019-11-22
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Italy

Yeah that is what I do but just with two batteries..but I don’t trust cheap chargers...
2019-11-22
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

I have a small 1200watt pure sine wave generator for remote work, 1.5 gallons runs 9hrs, that's better than running your car and wasting several gallons to charge 1 battery.
I have 5 batteries. I could fly 24hrs a day if needed. paid $150US
seriously, get yourself a small portable pure sine wave generator 1200watts or more.
2019-11-22
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Italy

Thought about that! But with less watt
2019-11-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Manu P4P Paris Posted at 11-22 13:20
Yeah that is what I do but just with two batteries..but I don’t trust cheap chargers...

The 'cheap charger' is not an issue, all the charging circuitry and intelligence is in the DJI battery anyway. The cheap charger that Solentlife and I use works just fine.
2019-11-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I agree with Solentlife - get both.  Sometimes you need to do two flights quick.  Other times you might need to do a half dozen flights with one car drive.  You need both items or be willing to not fly when you want/need to fly.  
2019-11-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sick Dawg Posted at 11-22 13:28
I have a small 1200watt pure sine wave generator for remote work, 1.5 gallons runs 9hrs, that's better than running your car and wasting several gallons to charge 1 battery.
I have 5 batteries. I could fly 24hrs a day if needed. paid $150US
seriously, get yourself a small portable pure sine wave generator 1200watts or more.

The guy is looking for a sensible economic solution.

There is no need to run the car engine to charge 1 DJI battery ...

Even if you were to charge multiple batterys - because the average car alternator pumps out serious amps - why do you need to run engine continuous ?  You could charge a couple of DJI batterys ... run car engine for 5 mins and put it all back ..

I've been RC flying and playing with electrics for many years ... I have to sort such on my yachts let alone RC ... and you get to learn about battery management. Generators are usually last resort ...
2019-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Since an inexpensive car charger wouldn’t work for me,
I bought a second DJI 100W charger.

With four flight packs, this arrangement cuts my charging period in half.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-25 02:20
Since an inexpensive car charger wouldn’t work for me,
I bought a second DJI 100W charger.

Just out of curiosity .... how do you power your DJI charger in the car ?

OP was I understand it - looking for a 'field' solution.
2019-11-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

solentlife Posted at 11-25 06:40
Just out of curiosity .... how do you power your DJI charger in the car ?

OP was I understand it - looking for a 'field' solution.

That’s a simple answer. I rYde a Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, with a simple trickle power outlet, with only enough juice for charging/recharging my iPad, and yes, the motor must be running.

For thee OP’s solution, My suggestion, is buying an extra flight pack or three. ;-)

Besides, Charging DJI batteries takes way too long, to be doing it while ‘up’ in the strawberry fields.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-25
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've got five batteries & had P4P for a couple of years. Used the car battery charger once but well worth it.
Suggest additional battery & the car charger - so long winded way of saying I agree with Solentlife
2019-11-25
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4 Batteries is enough for my time in the field as i have 3 dogs waiting at home, BUT, i did get the el cheapo car charger off of ebay and i have used it once, maybe twice in about 3 years
2019-11-25
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Italy

thanks...my question was more like a survey...for personal use, and for work, I only use extra batteries..charging them while I use the other...never had a car charger but I think I'm gonna buy it soon...
2019-11-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The car charger is well worth the few euros .... and you can find good ones for a lot less than branded. Remember its only really a Step UP DC to DC regulated power supply ... (P3 : 17.4v from 12v) ... The battery itself does the control bit of charge.
2019-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules