5056 14 2019-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Hi,

This is pretty much a question for the DJI guys here. I bought the FCC version of the Mini and I want to fly it in Europe. Upon connecting to the remote, it's "resetting radio", meaning turning the transmission power way down for CE regulations, making it actually WAY worse than the normal CE version. I understand the reasoning behind this, but shouldn't this be a question for the user rather than just doing this? I mean, it should be my decision if I want do to that as I'm the one eventually answering to the law. Just as I'm accepting responsibility for other things, I should be allowed to accept responsibility for using a stronger signal than allowed. If I get in trouble with the law for this, it's my problem, isn't it? You guys did your part, selling FCC/CE radios based on country, letting me know that I might be breaking some rules and so on. Seems very weire for the GO4 app to just allow you to cancel the this but for the dji fly to do it without asking.
Thanks.
2019-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You fail to understand dji would not be allowed to sell FCC in your country, and strictly speaking you would not be allowed bring in and operate in FCC mode, yes I know authorities may not put much effort into policing it, but for dji it would mean a very heavy fine. Lastly all dji drones revert to bandwidth of the region they are flying in, so if you go to US you will fly under FCC, sometimes being to clever has a way of biting us back . Having used MM in both urban and rural it has no problems with signal if your flying vlos .
2019-11-23
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I am curious about the actual performance of the FCC version in a CE country (with the reduced 5.8GHz power, no 2.4GHz etc.). When you have a chance to test, can you please share your experiences?
2019-11-23
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

See this video (Italian):

I think he got to 1km with the FCC unit at the 5.8GHz band in EU.
2019-11-23
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

Ice, if you live in Romania.... clearly you must be used to laws that are restrictive.   I would imagine those laws are in many many categories.  Buying a toy that has more power than the  EU allows and then whining that you should be able to decide... is not adult behavior
Interference from radio signals that are too strong might be a concern of the authorities.  'they probably also don't want your toy to fly out of sight and go who knows where.
The mini is mini, hard to see already.  Just fly it with the power level you have available and keep your eyes on it.
Do NOT expect the manufacturer to allow for you to break the radio power laws in your region.  They would be subject to penalties far more than the profit from you as a customer.
Anyway, have fun and log some flights!
2019-11-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Isn’t weird that the GO4 app allows you to override this? How is that a different situation than the Mini?
I totally understand why DJI don’t sell it here. I also understand why they warn us about restricted areas. I still feel it should be my decision. How come it’s ok to take responsibility for flying in restricted areas but not for transmission power?... Or why it’s ok to be the user’s decision for any other DJI drone except the mini?
2019-11-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

CemAygun Posted at 11-23 04:02
I am curious about the actual performance of the FCC version in a CE country (with the reduced 5.8GHz power, no 2.4GHz etc.). When you have a chance to test, can you please share your experiences?

Will do as soon as the weather allows.
2019-11-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

flightlogicRV9 Posted at 11-23 04:38
Ice, if you live in Romania.... clearly you must be used to laws that are restrictive.   I would imagine those laws are in many many categories.  Buying a toy that has more power than the  EU allows and then whining that you should be able to decide... is not adult behavior
Interference from radio signals that are too strong might be a concern of the authorities.  'they probably also don't want your toy to fly out of sight and go who knows where.
The mini is mini, hard to see already.  Just fly it with the power level you have available and keep your eyes on it.

That’s what makes this frustrating... nobody here cares about drones. We don’t even have special legislation for them, they’re just included with generic aircrafts if over 500g. It costs the same amount to register a mavic pro as it does a private helicopter. The transmission limits are just the generic CE rules, there’s nothing specific about it in the country’s legislation. So I could be flying with same power that you guys do in the US and nobody would be powered. Except DJI decided to be the drone police again...
2019-11-23
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

jh8 Posted at 11-23 04:08
See this video (Italian):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24LT1HKyk0

Thanks a lot for the video! Although I cannot speak a single word of Italian, I think I got the gist of it

It is understandable that he got about 600ms out of CE 5.8GHz, as you are expected to use the 2.4GHz instead for better range out in the open. I am just surprised he got more distance out of the FCC version as that one is supposed cut the 5.8GHz power down to CE levels.

I have seen him use fake GPS inside at the beginning, but that also should not work once the craft gets a real GPS lock.

Intriguing...

2019-11-23
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

Ice_2k Posted at 11-23 05:00
Will do as soon as the weather allows.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
2019-11-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

CemAygun Posted at 11-23 04:02
I tested the FCC mini today in CE mode and in FCC mode in an urban area (suburb, not city center). 700m in CE mode and 1200m in FCC mode. Flying at about 40-45m altitude. I kept going in both cases until the remote totally lost connection and the drone initiated return to home.
2019-11-28
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

Ice_2k Posted at 11-28 09:30
I tested the FCC mini today in CE mode and in FCC mode in an urban area (suburb, not city center). 700m in CE mode and 1200m in FCC mode. Flying at about 40-45m altitude. I kept going in both cases until the remote totally lost connection and the drone initiated return to home.

Ah, thanks a lot for the info! So I assume you can still keep the FCC mode power levels in a CE country through some "methods"

The reason I am so interested is that my wife really wants the Mini for Christmas but if we get it where we are now, we would be getting a CE version. That's why I want to wait until ve get back home and buy a FCC version instead...
2019-11-29
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

CemAygun Posted at 11-29 18:06
Ah, thanks a lot for the info! So I assume you can still keep the FCC mode power levels in a CE country through some "methods"

The reason I am so interested is that my wife really wants the Mini for Christmas but if we get it where we are now, we would be getting a CE version. That's why I want to wait until ve get back home and buy a FCC version instead...

yes, there are methods
2019-12-4
Use props
djiuser_wfiZTrhgv9Es
New

United Kingdom

I’ve connected my drone to the remote and pared both to my phone but it says resetting Wi-Fi to match local laws. How long does this take and what do I need to do whilst I wait
2022-12-26
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

djiuser_wfiZTrhgv9Es Posted at 12-26 08:05
I’ve connected my drone to the remote and pared both to my phone but it says resetting Wi-Fi to match local laws. How long does this take and what do I need to do whilst I wait

Could you provide some details about this and when it happens?

I sent my Mini for repairs to DJI and I received 3 (THREE) replacements from them, all with the same problem of the wireless network resetting "to match local laws and regulations" every single time the aircraft is powered ON. I'm very curious to see if the same happens to someone else, and under what circumstances.

To answer your question, the reset takes only a few seconds, you can see the remote lights blinking as the connection is lost, then turning solid again as it is reacquired. You obviously also see it from DJI Fly, with Camera View going dark during the reset. There is nothing you can do about it, just wait those few seconds for the connection to be re-established, then fly normally.

2022-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules