Stupid Question - How to get Video footage off Mini?
27688 9 2019-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,
Ok this sounds dumb,
But i have a Macbook Pro running Catalina.
DJI Assistant 2 installed just fine..  
When i power up the drone & plug in, the software sees the drone & can perform a firmware update for example..  Same with the controller .. So the USB cable is fine.
However, the computer doesn't see the drone as a device to copy and paste the video files from??
How do i get the video footage off the Drone & on to my Macbook, without having to faff about taking the micro sd card out, sticking it in an adaptor (which i don't have), to then plug the card into a flash card port on the Mac..
Shouldn't the Mini appear as a device in finder to pull the files off?
Cheers
2019-11-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I do the faff about method.  Typically it’s faster to do that then connect via USB as the raw copy speed is oftern faster.   It also doesn’t drain the battery.    So I suggest you just get a SD card reader for your mac.  You’ll probably find it quicker than copying straight from drone.

The other way I do it is from the drone (while it’s still on and connected) i download the images to the phone, and then airdrop phone to Mac.   That’s slower though.
2019-11-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the DJI Mavic Mini file transfer. First, for faster video or photo transfer, please remove the SD card from the said drone and connect it to your computer and transfer your file. Second, for the file storage is there an SD card inserted inside the drone when you are connecting the DJI Mavic Mini to the computer? If not the drone doesn't have internal storage to be detected by the computer. For more details I will posting the link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/specs ) for the specs of the DJI Mavic Mini. If you have more concern or inquiry feel free to post it here on DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.

2019-11-25
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-25 11:34
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the DJI Mavic Mini file transfer. First, for faster video or photo transfer, please remove the SD card from the said drone and connect it to your computer and transfer your file. Second, for the file storage is there an SD card inserted inside the drone when you are connecting the DJI Mavic Mini to the computer? If not the drone doesn't have internal storage to be detected by the computer. For more details I will posting the link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/specs ) for the specs of the DJI Mavic Mini. If you have more concern or inquiry feel free to post it here on DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.

[view_image]

Hi,
The drone has a 32gb card inserted. But shouldn't the Macbook SEE the Mini when it is plugged in via usb, so that i can drag the video files off?For example, i plug my Panasonic camera into my mac & it pops up as a device that i can just browse to the area where it stores pictures, and i simply select all and copy them off.
I would have thought the Mini would work in the same way? - Pulling the card in an out of the back of the drone will ass wear & tear to the micro sd card slot...
2019-11-25
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PhasedSpaces Posted at 11-25 12:10
Hi,
The drone has a 32gb card inserted. But shouldn't the Macbook SEE the Mini when it is plugged in via usb, so that i can drag the video files off?For example, i plug my Panasonic camera into my mac & it pops up as a device that i can just browse to the area where it stores pictures, and i simply select all and copy them off.
I would have thought the Mini would work in the same way? - Pulling the card in an out of the back of the drone will ass wear & tear to the micro sd card slot...

AHA!
Actually it seems it does... Just just have to let the Mini fully boot up first before you plug in the USB to the Mac
Phew!!!
2019-11-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

PhasedSpaces Posted at 11-25 12:10
Hi,

Hi Thank you for the additional information. I am happy to know that you are now able to transfer files from your DJI Mavic Mini to your Mac. If you have other concern or query please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2019-11-26
Use props
djiuser_7EHNwpcj11S3
New

United Kingdom

Hi. Can you help. My son has the mini and cannot seem to get the videos off the internal hard drive. He can download from the micro card but can't get them off the internal drive. When we plug in a USB reader it is not registering it as a USB hard drive to copy the files from. Any ideas?
2020-10-30
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

There is no internal drive on a Mini.  The only storage is the uSD card.  I have always pulled the card and plugged it into my computer to download videos and photos.
I did plug the Mini into the computer once, and transferred that way, but I prefer not having to leave the Mini powered up on the ground that (it will overheat after a while)
2020-10-30
Use props
djiuser_pnLnkhLOhO72
New

United States

Just tried doing it and it works. All you have to do is have the battery in, the drone on, and plug the micro usb to usb into your drone and computer and your SD card will appear and you can pull HD video/photo off this way.
2021-1-24
Use props
JCW308
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8934 ft
United States

That's strange, My Mini SE doesn't work that way. I can plug it in all day long (memory card in the drone and drone turned on) and it never shows up on my MacBook Air running Monterey. And thoughts on this? Thanks
2022-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules