Invert stick for up and down in DJI Fly app?
12345Next >
44726 169 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 400492 ft
Germany

Hi all,

is there any possibility to invert the controls for ascend and descend? I would like to pull the stick to gain height.

I have the German version of the app, but I'm still trying to explain what happens when I try to do the manual setup for steering inputs.

There is no way to change the setting easily. Just dragging the command "descent" to the field for pulling the stick towards me doesn't work, it just flips back.
There is the possibility that I can, for example, drag "ascend" from the the field for pushing the right stick, to the left stick and there in the field for pulling. So thats what I want to have, pull the stick to go up.

Unfortunately, at this moment, the assignment for forward and backwards on the other stick gets also reversed. I see no way to decouple this. So, if I invert the controls for ascend and descend, then there is always automatically one other setting the wrong way around.

I hope that I could communicate reasonably understandable, what's my problem, and I am very happy about every tip.

2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the control settings for the drone. Please open the DJI Fly application then go to the camera view and go to general settings ( the three dots on the upper right corner ) > control > stick mode. On this page you can choose which stick mode best suit your needs. For further inquiry and concern feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2019-11-27
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Follow what DJI Paladin said, except if you choose custom and then change settings, you can set them up as to how you want them. There are 4 preset stick modes, but there is also the custom option as well.
2019-11-27
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you Paladin and JodyB,
I apreciate very much you're answering.

I've already tried this via custom control settings. It seems to be not possible to do it so.
Unfortunately it's not possible to just invert the control settings for just one stick in the DJI Fly app.

Maybe someone would like to take the time to try it out, just so that you can understand the problem I have. If I manage to invert the controls for one stick, this will automatically cause the other stick to be inverted too.

In any case, thank you for your answers.
2019-11-27
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

I uploaded a short video in which I try to show the issue I have.
I'm sorry for  my bad english. As everyone should have already realized, this is not my native language.

If someone has any hint for me solving this problem, I would be very happy.

2019-11-28
Use props
mrbubbels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45978 ft
Germany

Your desired configuration is currently not possible. I also tried to change it when first setting everything up two weeks ago but eventually just left it non inverted for up and down.
2019-11-28
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks mrbubbles. Yes, I see it as you do, it's simply not possible.

Maybe someone from DJI can pass this on to the engineers?
It may not be a big deal to make it possible to invert the controls, and maybe it's a bug that it doesn't work currently.
Please see the video embedded above, you can see why it doesn't work to invert the controls, the way DJI Paladin suggested.

2019-11-28
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

I'm sorry for bringing this up again.

It's not such a very big problem for me, but I still have the feeling that the behavior of the app might be unintentional.
It doesn't work to invert the controls as described by DJI Paladin. So this could possibly be some kind of a bug.

A few days ago I already sent a private message to DJI Paladin about it. However, it could be that he simply is not present and therefore can not read the message.

In the video embedded above I tried to show what the problem is.
It would be great if someone from the DJI staff could take a look at this.
And should it make sense from your point of view, if necessary, to maybe pass this on to the engineers.
Thank you.

2019-12-2
Use props
djiuser_jiVnJk4ULXVK
lvl.1
Germany

I have the same problem.
It is a big thing for me because I used to fly model helicopters and I need the left stick to be pulled to rise.

So I hope it will be solved soon. I saw pictuers on the Internet from an other dji App were it seems to be possible to invert only on direction.

Thx for feedback
2019-12-11
Use props
fansbd71c3f8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207579 ft
India

I can see this being an issue with people used to flying rc or flight sims.
2019-12-11
Use props
StubbornSwiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

fansbd71c3f8 Posted at 12-11 17:01
I can see this being an issue with people used to flying rc or flight sims.

I fly RC planes and helicopters, and have been flying for well over 25 years.

The DJI remote controller is configured by default exactly the same way a Mode 2 radio would be configured to fly a radio controlled helicopter, whether it be a fixed pitch or collective pitch. You push the left stick forward to increase collective/power (causing the helo to rise, and you pull back on the stick to reduce collective/power causing the craft to descend).

Mode 2 is what is typically used in the US - a quick Google search should bring you up to speed on the difference between modes 1 and 2 if you are not familiar with them.

So no, I don't see how the DJI remote controller would be an issue for anyone who has been flying radio controlled planes/helo's (or flight simulators for that matter), unless they had been using an unconventional setup for their flying to begin with.

Just my personal opinion!
2019-12-11
Use props
JamesKnopfSelbs
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,

yes my setup is not like the standard modes. About 20 years ago i just opened the transmitter did some changes and it worked. With the blade heli i could also Change the direction on the spectrum remote. So at the end it should be an easy thing to change this in the software. I am sure that the custom Mode was designed for this.
So I hope there will be a bugfix for custom Mode.
Cheers
2019-12-11
Use props
Part107
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-27 09:59
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the control settings for the drone. Please open the DJI Fly application then go to the camera view and go to general settings ( the three dots on the upper right corner ) > control > stick mode. On this page you can choose which stick mode best suit your needs. For further inquiry and concern feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.

That doesn't fix their problem. This needs to go to the devs to fix this bug in the Custom setting. Can you please forward this to them for us please and thank you @DJI Paladin
2019-12-14
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Maybe its a unwanted bug, its not, as described "custom"... custom means for me, that I can arrange the function of the stickpositions as I want, e.g. left joystick to the right is rising.
Maybe too that the description in manual is wrong...better would be "you can change the function of sticks only pairwise" as bims bortsch demonstrated in the clip.
2019-12-14
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I really would have thought you could have used the custom section to define what you wanted. And I really thought you should have been able to. Maybe someone from DJI should pass this on to the appropriate department so maybe it could be setup that way in a future app update?
2019-12-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Part107 Posted at 12-14 03:03
That doesn't fix their problem. This needs to go to the devs to fix this bug in the Custom setting. Can you please forward this to them for us please and thank you @DJI Paladin

Hi, Thank you for the additional information and insight. I have forwarded this thread to our designated DJI team for further attention. Thank you.
2019-12-16
Use props
Part107
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-14 06:50
I really would have thought you could have used the custom section to define what you wanted. And I really thought you should have been able to. Maybe someone from DJI should pass this on to the appropriate department so maybe it could be setup that way in a future app update?

I did that the other day and just received confirmation
I always thought "Custom" meant anyway you want them setting. I hope they can fix this. I don't set mine up that way but i might try that way to see if i like it. I'm left handed and really don't like the way the default is. I've changed them up but not on the Mini just yet.
@Bims Bortsch i hope the DJI devs can get this fixed up for you
2019-12-16
Use props
Part107
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-16 10:28
Hi, Thank you for the additional information and insight. I have forwarded this thread to our designated DJI team for further attention. Thank you.

Thank you very much DJI Paladin
2019-12-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Part107 Posted at 12-16 10:56
I did that the other day and just received confirmation  
I always thought "Custom" meant anyway you want them setting. I hope they can fix this. I don't set mine up that way but i might try that way to see if i like it. I'm left handed and really don't like the way the default is. I've changed them up but not on the Mini just yet.
@Bims Bortsch i hope the DJI devs can get this fixed up for you

I use mode 2, but I fully believe that under the custom section, a person should be able to set them up for what best works for them if none of the default fits the bill.
2019-12-16
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you DJI Paladin.

Many thanks to all of you for bringing attention to the topic. This a great community here.
I am curious and I hope that there will be a solution to the problem.
2019-12-17
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-11 18:25
I fly RC planes and helicopters, and have been flying for well over 25 years.

The DJI remote controller is configured by default exactly the same way a Mode 2 radio would be configured to fly a radio controlled helicopter, whether it be a fixed pitch or collective pitch. You push the left stick forward to increase collective/power (causing the helo to rise, and you pull back on the stick to reduce collective/power causing the craft to descend).

I’m the same as you, the only think I can think of is that the pilot is used to flying planes where you pull down to ascend.    Heli’s are different as you point out because you increase pitch to ascend.   
2019-12-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Part107 Posted at 12-16 10:58
Thank you very much DJI Paladin

You are very much welcome and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-17
Use props
JamesKnopfSelbs
lvl.1

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-17 11:45
You are very much welcome and thank you for your valued support.

Hi I Just want to ask if there is already a plan for the change on the custom mode. Thx for reply
2019-12-27
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bims Bortsch Posted at 11-28 03:30
I uploaded a short video in which I try to show the issue I have.
I'm sorry for  my bad english. As everyone should have already realized, this is not my native language.

I see your frustration trying to set the sticks the way you want.  Perhaps someone from DJI will pass this on to the developers and they will make the customization that you are looking for possible to do.

Your English is excellent.  
2019-12-27
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Germany

BobWinNV Posted at 12-27 16:42
I see your frustration trying to set the sticks the way you want.  Perhaps someone from DJI will pass this on to the developers and they will make the customization that you are looking for possible to do.

Your English is excellent.

Thanks Bob for your kind words.

Yes, I sincerely hope the problem will be solved. Although I almost got used to flying without inverted controls by now.

Nevertheless, it should be possible to adjust it this way. Obviously I'm not the only one who wishes for that.
2019-12-28
Use props
JamesKnopfSelbs
lvl.1

Bims Bortsch Posted at 12-28 02:04
Thanks Bob for your kind words.

Yes, I sincerely hope the problem will be solved. Although I almost got used to flying without inverted controls by now.

No, you are not the only one. A good old friend has the phantom 1 where he just opened the remote and did some soldering but i hope for a Software solution. I get confused with my helicopter If Not.
Have a nice day.
2019-12-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

JamesKnopfSelbs Posted at 12-27 15:34
Hi I Just want to ask if there is already a plan for the change on the custom mode. Thx for reply

Hi. Thank you for the additional query. With regards to this matter. I have forwarded this concern/thread  to our designated DJI support team for further evaluation and I do apologize, as of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI Fly application's future updates or features that would be released by DJI in the future. Please stay tuned to the latest news, updates and events by subscribing to the DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI, Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2019-12-31
Use props
Pillard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9436 ft
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-12-31 08:13
Hi. Thank you for the additional query. With regards to this matter. I have forwarded this concern/thread  to our designated DJI support team for further evaluation and I do apologize, as of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI Fly application's future updates or features that would be released by DJI in the future. Please stay tuned to the latest news, updates and events by subscribing to the DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI, Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.

Hi,

I created a duplicate subject, not on purpose.  See here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-207746-1-1.html

I take the opportunity to point out that this issue is important and affect many people.

Feel free to close my duplicate as you see fit.

And please let us know any feedback from DJI

Thank you
2020-1-25
Use props
fanse86ad92c
New
Germany

Whats up now ? Will dji solve it or not ?...or is soldering the only solution ?
2020-2-6
Use props
djiuser_IazdiDNpMhMF
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-27 09:59

These answers are relatively snooty and most didn’t even listen to what he said. He wants it to fly like a real world pilot flies.

This is ridiculous that you cAn’t invert the y-axis for up and down it should be standard.

To the original poster, use mode 1. This is more realistic and mimics video game play of first person shooter games where you steer with your left stick. If you could only invert the right stick at this point it would be great.
2020-5-2
Use props
djiuser_wc2GMjyblCH3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 204626 ft
United Kingdom

I purchased the Mavic Mini a few days ago in the UK and I thought that I would be able to change the joystick in the custom settings as described above and I am also disappointed that I can't do this. Please can DJI add this option in a firmware upgrade.
2020-5-3
Use props
Hendri van Zuil
lvl.2
Netherlands

djiuser_wc2GMjyblCH3 Posted at 5-3 01:35
I purchased the Mavic Mini a few days ago in the UK and I thought that I would be able to change the joystick in the custom settings as described above and I am also disappointed that I can't do this. Please can DJI add this option in a firmware upgrade.

Waarschijnlijk heeft het met het besturingssysteem te maken wanr de IOS app doet het wel en de Androide  app niet
2020-5-11
Use props
Hendri van Zuil
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hendri van Zuil Posted at 5-11 02:31
Waarschijnlijk heeft het met het besturingssysteem te maken wanr de IOS app doet het wel en de Androide  app niet

In the IOS app it works but not in the Androide app
2020-5-11
Use props
Zen Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 981 ft
Romania

Hi there,

FW v01.00.0500, iPhone 7, I think that is what you looking for:

IMG_0017[1].PNG
2020-5-11
Use props
MrCurryLover
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hendri van Zuil Posted at 5-11 02:38

It is an Android that I am using
2020-5-11
Use props
MrCurryLover
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hendri van Zuil Posted at 5-11 02:38

I have had a play around and found out how to set it on the android app.
If you just try to drag Descend to Ascend or vice versa on the same joystick it won't work. But if you drag Ascend to Descend to the opposite joystick it does work. Then if you have set it and want it to be on the original joystick, drag it to the other side. Hope this makes sense
2020-5-11
Use props
Hendri van Zuil
lvl.2
Netherlands

MrCurryLover Posted at 5-11 12:42
I have had a play around and found out how to set it on the android app.
If you just try to drag Descend to Ascend or vice versa on the same joystick it won't work. But if you drag Ascend to Descend to the opposite joystick it does work. Then if you have set it and want it to be on the original joystick, drag it to the other side. Hope this makes sense

Maar dan is op de rechter stick forward backward omgedraaid
2020-5-11
Use props
Hendri van Zuil
lvl.2
Netherlands

2020-5-11
Use props
Hendri van Zuil
lvl.2
Netherlands

If you doe that, de richt stick is forward backwards turn arond