Invert stick for up and down in DJI Fly app?
45090 169 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

It's not really a "problem". It's more of a preference that isn't common. Others have suggested being able to reverse the gimbal tilt wheel as well.
Should be a simple software update if it gets enough traction to DJI. Probably not on their priority list of things to update when >98% of people are fine with the stick options that are already provided on the app.
2022-9-8
Use props
C.Calabrese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 590013 ft
United States

This is Complete and Utter BS; it's a simple software fix to allow this functionality. I've started a petition for them to change this. I encourage everyone on this thread to sign and spread this. It worked for Cine Mode (allegedly), let's force them to pay attention to a large subset of their customers.

https://chng.it/GZQR55tdvV
2022-9-21
Use props
djiuser_rEMzHYx8kOly
lvl.1

Australia

C.Calabrese Posted at 9-21 22:43
This is Complete and Utter BS; it's a simple software fix to allow this functionality. I've started a petition for them to change this. I encourage everyone on this thread to sign and spread this. It worked for Cine Mode (allegedly), let's force them to pay attention to a large subset of their customers.

https://chng.it/GZQR55tdvV

Agree, i have a DJI rs2 gimbal and just bought a Mini 3 Pro. If they don't fix this I will never buy another of their half hearted products ever again. They are arrogant in their refusal to fix this.
2022-12-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Oh well, you'll get it figured.
2022-12-3
Use props
djiuser_08FPy9sqzFCZ
New

Australia

Yes agree I to used to Fly RC model aeroplanes, the left hand elevater stick should go down to make the drone climb, this is the same in a real aircraft which I also used to fly in which one pulls the control stick back or down this action causes the aircraft to climb, I just had my second flight with my new DJI I found it very unnatural, suprised I could not correct it in the settings, DJI needs to provide this customation asap via a software upgrade.
2023-1-9
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

djiuser_08FPy9sqzFCZ Posted at 1-9 02:59
Yes agree I to used to Fly RC model aeroplanes, the left hand elevater stick should go down to make the drone climb, this is the same in a real aircraft which I also used to fly in which one pulls the control stick back or down this action causes the aircraft to climb, I just had my second flight with my new DJI I found it very unnatural, suprised I could not correct it in the settings, DJI needs to provide this customation asap via a software upgrade.

These drones don't climb with elevator control, they climb with throttle control. Elevator control in an airplane corresponds to fore-aft cyclic in a drone, as it changes the pitch of the aircraft (up when you pull on the stick, down when you push on the stick, exactly like you were describing it). This change in pitch makes a drone go forward-backward, not up-down.

You are clearly used to airplanes and Mode 1 transmitters (elevator on left stick), but for helis and drones the most prevalent configuration is Mode 2, where the right stick controls the cyclic (pitch and roll), left stick controls throttle and tail (yaw). If you think at a heli or drone as a fan pointed down, then Mode 2 becomes very intuitive, as the right stick directly corresponds to the fan orientation (tilt).
2023-1-9
Use props
djiuser_4huW3E9fI8VJ
New

Germany

120ccpm Posted at 1-9 20:00
These drones don't climb with elevator control, they climb with throttle control. Elevator control in an airplane corresponds to fore-aft cyclic in a drone, as it changes the pitch of the aircraft (up when you pull on the stick, down when you push on the stick, exactly like you were describing it). This change in pitch makes a drone go forward-backward, not up-down.

You are clearly used to airplanes and Mode 1 transmitters (elevator on left stick), but for helis and drones the most prevalent configuration is Mode 2, where the right stick controls the cyclic (pitch and roll), left stick controls throttle and tail (yaw). If you think at a heli or drone as a fan pointed down, then Mode 2 becomes very intuitive, as the right stick directly corresponds to the fan orientation (tilt).

I have the same problem as many reported in this thread, and would also like to urge DJI to *FINALLY* address this minor issue. And I would like to encourage others (who are in the lucky situation that their brain is not hardwired to a stick mode that the software still does not allow) to not try and teach us how we should re-wire our brains (and subsequently crash our planes and helis), but to support our really minimal request to DJI for a super simple software fix!
2023-1-15
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_4huW3E9fI8VJ Posted at 1-15 07:19
I have the same problem as many reported in this thread, and would also like to urge DJI to *FINALLY* address this minor issue. And I would like to encourage others (who are in the lucky situation that their brain is not hardwired to a stick mode that the software still does not allow) to not try and teach us how we should re-wire our brains (and subsequently crash our planes and helis), but to support our really minimal request to DJI for a super simple software fix!

A bit of an unfair comment, but that's ok. You must accept that drones like the Mini do not fly like airplanes and they never will: they are 100% fly-by-wire and electronically stabilized on all axis, they don't turn by banking and they don't climb/descend by pitching up/down.

I have nothing against you asking DJI to make a minor modification in their software, I might even consider it a legit request. As far as I am concerned you can lead a revolt on the forum, file a petition or camp in front of their HQ. But this thread has been going on for over 3 years and nothing happened, so you might want to consider rewiring your brain instead of keep waiting... it might actually be easier than you think.
2023-1-15
Use props
MAUNAKEA
New

United States

120ccpm Posted at 1-15 14:41
A bit of an unfair comment, but that's ok. You must accept that drones like the Mini do not fly like airplanes and they never will: they are 100% fly-by-wire and electronically stabilized on all axis, they don't turn by banking and they don't climb/descend by pitching up/down.

I have nothing against you asking DJI to make a minor modification in their software, I might even consider it a legit request. As far as I am concerned you can lead a revolt on the forum, file a petition or camp in front of their HQ. But this thread has been going on for over 3 years and nothing happened, so you might want to consider rewiring your brain instead of keep waiting... it might actually be easier than you think.

Real world pilots shouldn't have to re-wire their brains just to fly a drone.

When flying a real-world aircraft, we push the stick forward to descend, and pull back to climb.

It takes one DJI programmer to re-write the software so that the 'Custom' controls option can actually be custom and do just that.

That saves every real world pilot from needing to re-wire our brains.

It's just ludicrous that DJI can't learn this.
2023-5-15
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

MAUNAKEA Posted at 5-15 20:08
Real world pilots shouldn't have to re-wire their brains just to fly a drone.

When flying a real-world aircraft, we push the stick forward to descend, and pull back to climb.

Again, I have nothing against you or anyone else asking DJI for this very simple software modification, but I find your argument to be very weak, in particular coming from an actual airplane pilot. You should know better than most people that fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircrafts are very different machines, they just don't fly the same way. It's not an opinion, it's physics. You do need to rewire your brain when you switch from one to the other... I do it all the times, and like me anyone else who flies both type of models.
2023-5-16
Use props
fanscfe0c996
New
Flight distance : 1390922 ft
Canada

Very frustrating - Just got Mavic 3 Pro which comes with DJI RC controller, and can't switch them. Have to buy a RC-N1 instead so I can use Apple to reverse.

I guess "Custom" in the menu isn't really custom at all.
2023-5-16
Use props
MAUNAKEA
New

United States

fanscfe0c996 Posted at 5-16 10:11
Very frustrating - Just got Mavic 3 Pro which comes with DJI RC controller, and can't switch them. Have to buy a RC-N1 instead so I can use Apple to reverse.

I guess "Custom" in the menu isn't really custom at all.

Exactly!

That's the point that keeps getting shoved aside by those that don't understand real world and want to try sounding intelligent in a forum. This discussion isn't about how planes and helicopters fly.

It shouldn't be labeled Custom, cause you can't actually customize it.

But the main point is.... DJI could very easily make it fully custom.  
2023-5-16
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

...those that don't understand real world and want to try sounding intelligent in a forum
Cheap shot.

But the main point is.... DJI could very easily make it fully custom.
Yes they could, but it's been almost 4 years and they haven't. You have two options:
1. Keep complaining about it and respond angrily to anyone who dares giving you a different perspective.
2. Understand the reason why Mode 2 is prevalent in the world of RC helis and drones, and adapt.
Your choice.
2023-5-17
Use props
ccytony1916
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hey guys. I have figured out a "software" way to invert just the up and down control. All you need is just an old phone with old Android system.

Detail steps as follows :
1) Download an old version DJI Go 4 APK released in June 2019 from a 3rd party website.
2) Install that "old" APK on your "old" phone.
3) Use your old phone to connect to the controller and your drone.
4) You can invert up and down in the Customs menu like the old days.
5) In the background, the control keys are now stored into your drone memory.
6) Now disconnect everything.
7) Install the "latest" DJI Go 4 on your "new" phone
8) Connect everything as usual using your "new" phone.
9) The control will automatically be synchronized with that in your drone memory.

Note :
a) Current version of IOS or Android is too new for the old version DJI GO 4. The old APK will just pop and close down.
b) This method is making use of the drone memory and DJI GO 4 app reads that drone memory when it boots up.
c) This method is once and for all.
d) If you accidentally alter the settings, you may just repeat the procedures 1 to 9 again.
2023-6-7
Use props
HAL9081
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28491 ft
Germany

I would like to chip in too. Please give us the possibility to customize the ascend/descend forward/backward controls individually. I just got my drone 2 days ago and this is the o n l y thing that bothers me.
It's an exceptional little drone ... and this little flaw makes such a big impact. W H Y ?
2023-6-30
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

ccytony1916 Posted at 6-7 07:21
Hey guys. I have figured out a "software" way to invert just the up and down control. All you need is just an old phone with old Android system.

1) Download an old version DJI Go 4 APK released in June 2019 from a 3rd party website.

<snip>

Since the Mini does not and never has used the DJI Go app, I don't see this working...
Am I wrong?

2023-6-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HAL9081 Posted at 6-30 05:01
I would like to chip in too. Please give us the possibility to customize the ascend/descend forward/backward controls individually. I just got my drone 2 days ago and this is the o n l y thing that bothers me.
It's an exceptional little drone ... and this little flaw makes such a big impact. W H Y ?

Hi, HAL9081. Sorry for the late response. We understand the inconvenience for the people that are used to using inverted controls for the ascend/descend. We got this noted and will take it as a suggestion. This will be referred to our designated team. Thank you for understanding. Please go to dji.com to check for the latest news.
2023-7-13
Use props
djiuser_3WE0o68s9wvU
New

United States

did this get fixed? can you now make this change? been flying for many years and the ascend/ descend is backwards for me
2023-7-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HAL9081 Posted at 6-30 05:01

Hi. Are you using an Android phone or an IOS?
2023-7-19
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_3WE0o68s9wvU Posted at 7-14 18:31
did this get fixed? can you now make this change? been flying for many years and the ascend/ descend is backwards for me

Nope.
Backwards to me as well.
2023-7-20
Use props
WaldoMontana
lvl.1
United States

I'm a pilot.  ATP and an instructor.  Planes don't fly with the stick control for climbing/descending the way the 2S is programed.  Yes, there is a setting to change the location assignments, but not separate the individual 'boxes' so as to reverse the stick (yoke) setting.  And I don't need to be told that is not how drones fly, when it would be so easy to make this drone fly in a way that is comfortable and more intuitive for many drone pilots.  Thanks.
2023-7-22
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

I'm a pilot.  ATP and an instructor.  Planes don't fly with the stick control for climbing/descending the way the 2S is programed.

Pilot here too.  DJI obviously has no interest in fixing this...
2023-7-22
Use props
fans3eff0061
lvl.1
Flight distance : 575853 ft

United States

I know I am a little late, since this post was started in 2019, but I found the solution to the problem.  To flip the controls upside down you DO drag them to the opposite control stick in the position you want. The the sticks will then be reversed from what you desire so now just drag the top left stick to the top right stick.  The sticks will go back to what you want for forward and backward, and the left stick will stay and the forward is down, backward is up mode. Hopes this helps anyone else who was or is to be struggling with this.
2023-7-23
Use props
djiuser_jr08Eed4hhCf
New
Flight distance : 2533 ft
Australia

fans3eff0061 Posted at 7-23 13:07
I know I am a little late, since this post was started in 2019, but I found the solution to the problem.  To flip the controls upside down you DO drag them to the opposite control stick in the position you want. The the sticks will then be reversed from what you desire so now just drag the top left stick to the top right stick.  The sticks will go back to what you want for forward and backward, and the left stick will stay and the forward is down, backward is up mode. Hopes this helps anyone else who was or is to be struggling with this.

Hi fans3eff0061, I've tried your method and the ascend/descend inversion works well but I end up with forward/backwards inverted as well. Did you not have this problem?
2023-7-24
Use props
Daylighter
lvl.1

United States

DJI, This has been an issue for YEARS now. Pull back to ascend, push forward to descend. What is the delay is getting a fix? It can't be complicated.
2023-7-25
Use props
HAL9081
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 7-19 19:17
Hi. Are you using an Android phone or an IOS?

DJI RC the one with the integrated screen.
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HAL9081 Posted at 7-30 14:31
DJI RC the one with the integrated screen.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You can invert the controls from the DJI RC however it will also invert the left and right controls. It is possible to invert it individually using an IOS for the DJI RC-N1. Rest assured these concern has been sent to our designated team. We appreciate your patience. have a great day ahead.
2023-7-30
Use props
HAL9081
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 7-30 23:13
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You can invert the controls from the DJI RC however it will also invert the left and right controls. It is possible to invert it individually using an IOS for the DJI RC-N1. Rest assured these concern has been sent to our designated team. We appreciate your patience. have a great day ahead.

Thanks very much for the reply Tony. I hope you can get it "fixed". It's the experience that counts you know. If there is "custom" make it "custom". There are pilots and gamers that have the controls inverted like discussed.

If I'm gaming for hours with inverted controls and then decide to go for a walk with my Mini 3 Pro crashes are likely to happen because of rethinking the controls every time...

I keep my fingers crossed.
Best regards - HAL
2023-7-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HAL9081 Posted at 7-31 07:59
Thanks very much for the reply Tony. I hope you can get it "fixed". It's the experience that counts you know. If there is "custom" make it "custom". There are pilots and gamers that have the controls inverted like discussed.

If I'm gaming for hours with inverted controls and then decide to go for a walk with my Mini 3 Pro crashes are likely to happen because of rethinking the controls every time...

Hi Hal. I understand the inconvenience. We will continue sending your requests to our relevant team for your feedback are important to us.  Thank you for being patient.
2023-8-1
Use props
djiuser_4UhS9aTdz0In
New

Thailand

Yes ,im having the same issue. Please fix this DJI
2023-8-12
Use props
djiuser_4UhS9aTdz0In
New

Thailand

DJI Tony Posted at 8-1 02:02
Hi Hal. I understand the inconvenience. We will continue sending your requests to our relevant team for your feedback are important to us.  Thank you for being patient.

Please do, as this makes it impossible for me to fly
2023-8-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_4UhS9aTdz0In Posted at 8-12 01:38
Please do, as this makes it impossible for me to fly

Hi there. The request has already been referred to our designated team for evaluation. It will be officially announced from this forum site or from the DJI official website once implemented, so please stay tuned for further updates. We appreciate your support and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-12
Use props
djiuser_4UhS9aTdz0In
New

Thailand

Hi everybody, I couldn't help myself and open the controller at my own risk. As you see in the photo there is a white micro connector that connects both side to side and up and down movements. What i would like to know is, if i change green with the white wire at the white connector, will that invert my up and down? If so this is an easy fix. Let me know what you all think.  
16919929867481214505932034838934.jpg
2023-8-13
Use props
gglass1111
New

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-12 01:57
Hi there. The request has already been referred to our designated team for evaluation. It will be officially announced from this forum site or from the DJI official website once implemented, so please stay tuned for further updates. We appreciate your support and understanding. Have a great day ahead.

Honestly this isn't acceptable.  This thread started FOUR years ago and it hasn't been addressed.

There are literally thousands of us impacted, each having spent thousands of dollars and this is a tiny software implementation that would take less than an hour of an engineer's time.  Many of us grew up with inverted sticks on game controllers and there's no way to "re-learn" that motion.  If every single game dev can implement this as standard it makes no sense that DJI can't make this fix.  

Tony - Please continue to escalate.  This is reaching class action status where a company willfully ignores their customer base and it hampers the product functionality substantially.  For those who don't think it's a big issue, try reversing your controls and flying that way and see how comfortable it is, and ask yourself if you'd request a software fix to adjust it?
2023-8-21
Use props
Chuy3k
lvl.2

United States

Even the newest RC firmware released does not fix this. I have played fps and flight sim games with inverted controls for 15+ years. I can't rewire my brain every time I switch to my drone. The RC-N1 with android app on my S22 lets me invert the controls, makes absolutely no sense that a $300 RC or $1000 RC Pro would not let me do so. I might just sell the RC controller and buy an RC-N1.
2023-9-7
Use props
djiuser_bwXJVuZFB0x4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48957 ft

Czechia

Many many years later ... . I am new on this hobby and about the same problem. I fly RC planes in mode 1 and DJI mode 2 would be for me. Except I am used to (and all kinds of pilots are) pull the stick for going up and push it for going down - it is elevation. I hate that DJI dont care to add this simple feature. Even choopers collective stick you pull up and back to go up. DJI software suck. It is a shame.
2023-12-14
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

DJI could very easily fix this problem by allowing a true Custom mode where you can also reverse the input of the channels, like nearly 100% of RC radio in the market do offer... Even a $30 radio for an RC car does offer this function...

DJI must have presumed that people that fly drones are only people that used to fly RC helicopters...
2023-12-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Burt37 Posted at 12-14 13:34
DJI could very easily fix this problem by allowing a true Custom mode where you can also reverse the input of the channels, like nearly 100% of RC radio in the market do offer... Even a $30 radio for an RC car does offer this function...

DJI must have presumed that people that fly drones are only people that used to fly RC helicopters...

Hi, there. Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured we'll communicate your feedback with our relevant team awareness. Thank you for your support.
2023-12-15
Use props
Blarp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 52733 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_4UhS9aTdz0In Posted at 8-13 22:03
Hi everybody, I couldn't help myself and open the controller at my own risk. As you see in the photo there is a white micro connector that connects both side to side and up and down movements. What i would like to know is, if i change green with the white wire at the white connector, will that invert my up and down? If so this is an easy fix. Let me know what you all think.

Hi, it seems the controller does not use pots, but hall sensors. As such, changing the wires will not help.
Somebody remarked that it is possible to change the magnet (inside the hall sensor assembly) to get the desired effect.
I would very much see some documentation on that..
I too fly RC planes, and Y inversion is highly desired.
2023-12-15
Use props
Fossi1000
lvl.1

Germany

After five years with the Air 2 with an iPhone for steering  I bought the Mini 4 Pro with RC-2

The same problem appears. I can´t belive it...

DJI shame on you....
When are you finally solving that big Problem???

Fossi

2023-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules