P4P Sphere Panoramas won't stitch properly in Adobe LR or PS
1176 5 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fontinalis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 975367 ft
United States

I have a problem with Lightroom Classic stitching spherical panos shot with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. It distorts them such that the horizon rises in the center of the stitch. The Phantom shoots 34 images that Microsoft ICE has no problem stitching:

Here's what it looks like in LR, with merging options shown.

Photoshop CC 2020 gives same result. I was quite excited when I got the correct result on ONE pano after the latest update to LR, but alas, that was a short-lived success. I've had no problems with Litchi panos in LR.  Never was able to get the DJI Go 4 panorams to stitch in LR. Would be really nice to be able to do this to adjust the raw pano in LR, especially since they've added an edge-fill feature in their pano stitching function.

I don't see any settings I can change in LR  or DJI to fix this. No transform tool will correct it that I can tell.
Any idea what is going on here?

2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you and welcome to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI members who are using Adobe Photoshop can provide you the best response for this query. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-11-26
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

Hi DJI Paladin. Yes, I don't suspect there is any problem with the output from DJI.  It's possible that a workaround might involve changing some settings in Go 4, but this would be to overcome problems with the Adobe software.
2019-11-26
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope you get this problem solve.
2019-11-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Problems of this nature can be caused by:

A. Incorrect projection type (i.e. cylindrical vs. spherical)
B. lack of lens profile within stitching software or disability to access files metadata.

Adobe software (i.e. Camera Raw, Photoshop) is offering almost no options for adjustment, although this is usually sufficient for 3x3 panoramas. Phantom 4 Pro indeed is delivering perfectly shot sequence of 34 images for full spherical pano, but stitching of such is way more complex. Adobe software is not really up the task. I had no issues stitching and tweaking P4P panos in Autopano Giga software (not available anymore). Recently PTGui software seems to lead the pack with truly advanced options for stitching 360x180 panos. Trial version will let you test it.  
2019-11-26
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, Matthew. The response on the LR forum is essentially the same: need to use the open Pano Tools. Will be  looking into this. Too bad Adobe hasn't invested into this enough for it to work.
2019-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules