Video splitting into 2 parts
2078 8 2015-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Every time I record a video it is always split between the 9:01-9:59 mark. Why does it do that? Its also at around 3._ GB in size. Can videos only be 4GB or less or is there some other reason. I have a Class 10 card so I don't think thats a problem.

2015-6-11
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

It seems there is a 4Gb limit to video files with the P3s - don't seem to be able to change that either.
2015-6-11
Use props
ainsworthwillia
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i haven't tried it yet but its probably the format of the card.  if its fat 32 then i you have a limit of 4gb per file.    maybe try formatting your card in your computer to exfat and seeing if it still happens.  I will try it myself soon to see.  I had this issue on my canon 5d mk3 with a card formatted to fat32 when i was using magic lantern raw and formatting the card to exfat stopped the files from splitting.   its not necessarily a bad thing though on these drones.  especially if you are shooting something you can only capture once - quickly. if for some reason you end up with a corrupt file, atleast you still have the other half of the file!
2015-6-11
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As said, its a limit of the card/format. GoPro's do the same as well as other cameras I have.
2015-6-11
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

The limits are for everything.. not a Phantom issue. It's a windows design thing.
Fat32 is limited to about 4 gigabyte file size. The overhead software is very small. (on a small SD card it's great)
Overhead software is what makes the storage system work.
exfat does not have this limit. The overhead software is slightly larger. ( good on large SD card)
If your editing the video footage the broken files are not much problem(drop them all on the timeline and they fit together)
If your not editing, the break might come at a bad spot
2015-6-11
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

you might need to format card for NTFS to support files 4g and over
2015-6-12
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-12 18:59
you might need to format card for NTFS to support files 4g and over

I'm not shure, but I think that formatting your card in the Phantom cam itself is best practice.
2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

giant, right on. It's best to format the memory card directly from the DJI Pilot application.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-12 14:00
As said, its a limit of the card/format. GoPro's do the same as well as other cameras I have.

I'm not an expert, but....

It would seem there's something from a software perspective that could be done. I have a software defined radio (SDR) that records frequency spectrum - I can record the entire broadcast band at one time and then listen to it later as if I were tuning the radio - great stuff.

Because it takes a few gigs to do an hour's worth of radio, the controlling software has a capability of over-riding the 4 GB limit - I've often ended up with files well over 30 Gigs. That said, I'm not writing the data to an SD card but to either an internal or external hard drive.

Perhaps a lot of the limitation is the SD and much harder to over-ride, if at all.
2015-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules