46167 77 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7eb9c9c6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 599944 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Does anyone have recent information on what class the Mavic 2 Pro will fall under for the new EU rules? C1 or C2?

We are getting them on july 1st in Norway. Looking forward to finally flying outside of mountain cliffs and capturing the fjords from above legally!
2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI members can provide you the best response for this inquiry. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-11-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

This video should help you.  
2019-11-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Its going to be C2 as C1 is limited to 900grams in weight, and M2P is 907grams so just a tad too heavy.
2019-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-26 23:59
Its going to be C2 as C1 is limited to 900grams in weight, and M2P is 907grams so just a tad too heavy.

I was really flabbergasted when I found out about this.
I have yet to dive into the differences between C1 and C2 (first look is that they don't have too much differences except for an extra examination)
2019-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-27 00:24
I was really flabbergasted when I found out about this.
I have yet to dive into the differences between C1 and C2 (first look is that they don't have too much differences except for an extra examination)

Im not sure it will meet the C2 class as they are purchasing it before the rules come in, and I think that puts it into another class of its own.
2019-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-27 00:26
Im not sure it will meet the C2 class as they are purchasing it before the rules come in, and I think that puts it into another class of its own.

That might be true.
But it is a little confusing.

It lacks the transponder from what I read about it.
It might mean it will fall into A3
So with heavy restrictions
2019-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

It might even fall in the open category as it lacks the mandatory transponder.
But there will be a transitional period (from what I have read that might be 2 years after July 2020) where you can still fall under the C2 category.
So that would be A3, but I'm not sure how the rules will be implemented in the end.
2019-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-27 00:43
That might be true.
But it is a little confusing.

I'm sure its easily fixed with an updated battery that's a bit lighter, like they did for the Mavic mini in Japan.
2019-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-27 01:01
I'm sure its easily fixed with an updated battery that's a bit lighter, like they did for the Mavic mini in Japan.

The lack of the transponder is what bothers me.
I'm not sure what category it will fall in because it does not have one.
2019-11-27
Use props
Fjellmaen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 599944 ft
  • >>>
Norway

So we can toss our Mavics in the trash in half a year?
2020-1-29
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21316 ft
United Kingdom

It would be helpful if DJI might EVER pass on a comment regarding this matter. Other than the usual platitudes moving forward.
2020-1-29
Use props
ALUphoto
lvl.1
Poland

djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca Posted at 1-29 13:14
It would be helpful if DJI might EVER pass on a comment regarding this matter. Other than the usual platitudes moving forward.

It will not fall intro ANY open categories as it is not  certified to any. It doesn’t matter how much it weights, if it has id transponder etc.
2020-2-9
Use props
Cristian.c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1387448 ft
Romania

Can we get an answer on this from DJI? Can we have a new battery? Or we have to buy the next Mavic Pro 3? )) Maybe under 900g
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cristian.c Posted at 3-4 05:42
Can we get an answer on this from DJI? Can we have a new battery? Or we have to buy the next Mavic Pro 3? )) Maybe under 900g

You can use your present drone just as it is until the end of 2022, my advice go EASA web site and carefully read new rules, but for your question your ok until above date. Hopefully you’ll have a Mavic 3 by then .
2020-3-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

The M2 is not going to be any class - its not a retrospective classification.

The mavic 2 (and currently ALL DJI drones that exist) will be defined as legacy devices.

Only new devices that have gone through the CE certification process will get catagorised.  And there arent any yet.
2020-3-4
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

whole eu region is getting new harmonised drone regulations in july, but 2-year transitional period is valid till july 2022, where you stil can use "old" drones. by easa this is ok to have fun with your mavics etc (in urban areas and such), and after then what's the problem, you just buy new drone, right? well, it's not ok, if you ask me and this is not how it's done (as for vehicles, as for other stuff).
2020-3-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 3-4 20:03
The M2 is not going to be any class - its not a retrospective classification.

The mavic 2 (and currently ALL DJI drones that exist) will be defined as legacy devices.

all drones that are on the market, have ce certification already, otherwise they can't be sold. yes, new certifitation will be needed, but you can't just scrape older stuff ion this way.
2020-3-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Thailand

izotop Posted at 3-6 18:52
all drones that are on the market, have ce certification already, otherwise they can't be sold. yes, new certifitation will be needed, but you can't just scrape older stuff ion this way.

CE certification covers everything from the RF emitter to the power supply.

Quite simply NO drone on the market has a CE certification for the new EASA drone classes.  Their documentation clearly states the classifications CANNOT be retrospectively given therefore all the current drones will be legacy class with the corresponding increase in restrictions of use in 2022.

The documents are all on the EASA site for any member of the public to check.
2020-3-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 3-6 19:16
CE certification covers everything from the RF emitter to the power supply.

Quite simply NO drone on the market has a CE certification for the new EASA drone classes.  Their documentation clearly states the classifications CANNOT be retrospectively given therefore all the current drones will be legacy class with the corresponding increase in restrictions of use in 2022.

yes, that is what i'm saying, i guess you don't see the point i try to make. you can not overnight make decision that something that was valid today, won't be tommorow, at least on this way easa went.
2020-3-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Thailand

Well EASA clearly state the CE classifications for drones is not retrospective.  Therefore, every single drone currently on the market is going to be "legacy" and under those rules come 2022.  You wont upgrade a drone made before the new rules to the categories.  EASA say that can't happen.

(Although no idea what the UK will decide as its leaving EASA at some point)
2020-3-6
Use props
djiuser_zHuHtkMI4tRA
lvl.1

Poland

The Mavic 2 Pro without a camera cover weighs 895 grams.
2020-3-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_zHuHtkMI4tRA Posted at 3-30 01:43
The Mavic 2 Pro without a camera cover weighs 895 grams.

It doesnt matter.  Its out before the new classifications come in. Therefore its "legacy".

(Plus its weight OR an impact force for the criteria anyway).
2020-3-31
Use props
djiuser_wHsIlG5yvo0Y
lvl.2
Flight distance : 802054 ft
Portugal

Doesn't this mean it has the CE? https://www.dji.com/pt/euro-compliance/mavic
2020-4-21
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

djiuser_wHsIlG5yvo0Y Posted at 4-21 03:57
Doesn't this mean it has the CE? https://www.dji.com/pt/euro-compliance/mavic

it means it did have ce certification when it was launched. by july 2020 (now postponed to january 2021, with transtitional period till end of the 2022) new eu c1-c5 certificates are mandatory, and so far none of the current drones on the market (skydio 2, evo 2 and like) don't have this. new air 2 coming in few days might be the first, be we will have to see that.
with mavic 2 series you can fly in a1 and a2 areas only till end of 2022, after that only in a3 (basically areas without buildings and people). it might help a bit if dji put out little lighter battery or something, which would reduce weight under 900g (current mot i think it about 907g or something), but you need other things like non sharp edges, impact energy should be under new limits (also top speed of the drone), there's issue about tanspoding serial number of the drone etc.
2020-4-22
Use props
LeoparizF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35912 ft
Portugal

izotop Posted at 4-22 06:27
it means it did have ce certification when it was launched. by july 2020 (now postponed to january 2021, with transtitional period till end of the 2022) new eu c1-c5 certificates are mandatory, and so far none of the current drones on the market (skydio 2, evo 2 and like) don't have this. new air 2 coming in few days might be the first, be we will have to see that.
with mavic 2 series you can fly in a1 and a2 areas only till end of 2022, after that only in a3 (basically areas without buildings and people). it might help a bit if dji put out little lighter battery or something, which would reduce weight under 900g (current mot i think it about 907g or something), but you need other things like non sharp edges, impact energy should be under new limits (also top speed of the drone), there's issue about tanspoding serial number of the drone etc.

Is mavic air 2 c2 certified?
2020-4-30
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

LeoparizF Posted at 4-30 14:57

as far as i know, not.
2020-5-1
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

LeoparizF Posted at 4-30 14:57

No it's not.
No drone is currently because the actual process for certification doesnt yet exist.
2020-5-1
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 2019-11-27 01:01

Why would DJI do that? Next spring we're definitely looking at Mavic 3. Nobody wants the M2 anymore. DJI is selling drones, not saving drones!
2020-5-2
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

Sascha.ES Posted at 5-2 03:36
Why would DJI do that? Next spring we're definitely looking at Mavic 3. Nobody wants the M2 anymore. DJI is selling drones, not saving drones!

again, dji is not only one, also ev2 line or skydio2 etc does not have c markings, which will be mandatory. yes, it's kind of stupid, but don't just blame dji on this.
2020-5-2
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

izotop Posted at 5-2 04:01
again, dji is not only one, also ev2 line or skydio2 etc does not have c markings, which will be mandatory. yes, it's kind of stupid, but don't just blame dji on this.

Not in europe....
2020-5-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dont get obsessive with 900g, there is a crucial second part:-

"Either less than 900g maximum take-off mass or are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human head, the energy transmitted will be less than 80 Joules."

Quite simply, we dont know if the M2 (or any similar mass drone) comes in above or below that 80J factor.  If they do, the weight is irrelevant.  

*BUT* as above its irrelevant.  100% of consumer drones available to buy or currently owned cannot be "upgraded" into a class.  They are legacy drones and can only be flown as such with big restrictions after the transition period.
2020-5-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sascha.ES Posted at 5-2 03:36

By some accounts the M3 is delayed because the M2 is still selling so well.
2020-5-3
Use props
DroneEEE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1047 ft
Sweden

gnirtS Posted at 5-3 20:51
Dont get obsessive with 900g, there is a crucial second part:-

"Either less than 900g maximum take-off mass or are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human head, the energy transmitted will be less than 80 Joules."

The Mavic 2 Pro has a maximum energy of 181,4 J according to my calculations:
KE = 1/2 (mv^2)
m = 0,907
v=20

KE = 181,4

This calculation is valid for maximum specified speed at level flight. The formula is from our Swedish education material for A1/A3 and A2.

But as you mentioned, it doesn't really matter since they aren't certified. According to the rules I will not be able to fly closer to people and populated areas than 150 m with my Mavic 2 Pro. With the A2 license that will change to 50m. No more recreational flying at home for me.
2020-5-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That might be correct (it is) for a solid,inflexible surface.  It does ignore energy dissipation due to deformation of the plastic surface (crumple zone equivalent) etc though so given the M2 is plastic the actual energy transferred is likely to be under that figure.   Theres also the fact the mavic has different densities and materials on different parts.
But its impossible to calculate without huge effort and full design specs of the drone (or by actually measuring).

Its a null point anyway - its a legacy class just like every other drone currently being sold or flown.
2020-5-4
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

Today, EASA presented webinar about new EU regulations for open category, coming in january 2021. Besides all general things, they also mentioned possibility, to manufacturers retroactive update current drones to C certification, if they officially performs upgrades, needed for that.
So DJI, if you're listening, please, please, if possible: could you consider making for ex. mavic 2 series in C2 class by lower impact force to 80J (probably to lower top speed a bit via firmware upgrade or something) and make few grams lighter battery (just a bit thinner plastic or some inner metal part will do probably) so it falls under 900g.  Other requirements (like slow mode etc) are already there i think. You did that on mini batteries twice now already, so i guess you could do that..

Edit: i was mistaken about class mark, sorry. class C1 have MTOM under 900g (not C2), have 19m/s top speed and impact energy to human head of 80J etc.

Class C2 have MTOM under 4kg, this probably also means different requarments abott top speed and impact force, it ned to have slow mode with max 3m/s speed etc etc.

So, in the end it would even be,  that C2 could be certified as it is, if possible ( know, i'm beeing too optmistic probably, but hey)

This would be very appreciated, believe me.
Thank you.

p.s tommorow more commercial use will be presented by them.

2020-12-9
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

i changed this post, look up
2020-12-9
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Cristian.c Posted at 3-4 05:42
Can we get an answer on this from DJI? Can we have a new battery? Or we have to buy the next Mavic Pro 3? )) Maybe under 900g

Hi,
Regarding the weight of Mavic 2 pro as per DJI manual, it states 907 grams, so I put mine on a letter scale I had at home and got 868 gram with the battery and without the gimbal protection. So I then took it to the post office, who has calibrated scales and there is weighed 876 grams. Then I took it to a second post office and there it was 863 grams. So I just wonder how accurate the DJI scale is. Even if I tell the authorities what I have weigh the drone to, they would always go by the manufacturers specifications. Perhaps DJI could double check the weight of the Mavic 2 pro?
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

kyalami Posted at 12-9 22:39
Hi,
Regarding the weight of Mavic 2 pro as per DJI manual, it states 907 grams, so I put mine on a letter scale I had at home and got 868 gram with the battery and without the gimbal protection. So I then took it to the post office, who has calibrated scales and there is weighed 876 grams. Then I took it to a second post office and there it was 863 grams. So I just wonder how accurate the DJI scale is. Even if I tell the authorities what I have weigh the drone to, they would always go by the manufacturers specifications. Perhaps DJI could double check the weight of the Mavic 2 pro?

Same mass and density object have up to 2% wight difference in different parts of the world depending of the angular velocity, temperature and air pressure. In this case +- 20 grams. Does not even matter if the scale is accurate, as they dont give us mass, but weight...
2020-12-10
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 12-10 04:29
Same mass and density object have up to 2% wight difference in different parts of the world depending of the angular velocity, temperature and air pressure. In this case +- 20 grams. Does not even matter if the scale is accurate, as they dont give us mass, but weight...

The authorities goes by weight 900gr. A scale should always be calibrated to the specific gravity in that country and where it is, so than an object always weigh the same wherever it is weighed. That is how we calibrated the scales we exported  to different countries in the world. So if + - 20gr Mavic 2 Pro would not come above 900 gr.
Actually makes no difference, as KE = 181,4 jules.
2020-12-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules