Flying Phanton 2 at High Altitude (10,000 + ft)
2753 3 2014-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sasvet02
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys,

Phanton newbie. Had mine for about a month. It has been great so far. I have a job coming in December, shooting skiiers in Vail Colorodo. Average altitude we'll be at is 10,000 ft, with a peak elevation of 14,000 ft. I wanted to see if anyone has ever flone a Phanton 2 at such altitude and if you have any recommendations/tips. Should I be upgrading my props? I currently have the DJI 9450s. I'll also be using an FPV setup (the common BlackPearl with RC transmitter and Fatshark antennas). Will that hold up?

Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks!

2014-11-15
Use props
phillip.edwards
New

United Kingdom

There is a video on youtube of a guy flying at Everest basecamp, which is at 17500ft. I think it is a stock Phantom 1.

2014-11-16
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

phillip.edwards Posted at 2014-11-16 21:06
There is a video on youtube of a guy flying at Everest basecamp, which is at 17500ft. I think it is  ...

Expect diminished battery life, so take spares.....   Upgrade props to new ones for that touch of extra lift,,, take spares......    Expect a lot of fun, enjoy........   

There are numerous great write-ups with tips and tricks for such activities, but just keep your eye on the drone as it blends in so well and sometimes just vanishes from sight.....   

Check props for ice every time you swap batteries.... if crashed,  do not use for rest of day without drying it out in the warm.....
2014-11-16
Use props
sasvet02
lvl.1
United States

Great! Thanks for the tips so far.

Will keep you guys posted with how things go ;)
2014-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules