4264 50 2019-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello comunity,
After reading another post regarding "pulsing in video" I've decided to go and test it myself.
I found that the pulsating effect mainly noticed in vegetation happens in AUTO EV aswel as LOCKED EV. Is like the systems locks and then tryies to compensate, about each second it goes back creating that "jump" effect in middle tones, is noticeable in other areas too.

I grabbed the two clips where I could see it better, however after uploading to google drive and watching the footage in a tablet is harder to see, hopefully you can reproduce the error.

First clip is in auto mode:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 7GqWmDlu5DSU5KLSEOk

Second clip with exposure locked:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... Nr9XHCh6Zs9mvRARTf_

The other related post where I found out is the following:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203092

2019-11-28
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Just checking Videos !!
2019-11-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is it change in iso ?
2019-11-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 11-28 12:18
Is it change in iso ?

Maybe, it seems one of the variables is trying to catch up. ISO, WB, or shutter speed
2019-11-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-28 12:10
Just checking Videos !!

Nothing Fancy, uploaded this one to show the "auto/ev" thingy
I have some footage, but I need to upload it.
2019-11-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

If you turn on captions, does that give any clues to the settings?
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-29 01:45
If you turn on captions, does that give any clues to the settings?

Hello, whatdo you mean by "captions" the "video subtitles" mentioned in the APP?
2019-11-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-29 02:08
Hello, whatdo you mean by "captions" the "video subtitles" mentioned in the APP?

Yes the video subtitles
2019-11-29
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I have the same issue with jumping brightness every some frames! It reminds me to the same problem with mavic pro original! There was the same on every 8th frame
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-29 02:48
I have the same issue with jumping brightness every some frames! It reminds me to the same problem with mavic pro original! There was the same on every 8th frame

Interesting to know thanks!
Was that eventually fixed with FW updates?
Thanks in advance!
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-29 02:38
Yes the video subtitles

Are they suposse to help?
I cannot find any info regarding the video subtitles, what are they, what info is supossed to show etc.
I will turn them on next time, and see what it shows, but this is something related to how the camera is locking the exposure.
2019-11-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-29 04:19
Are they suposse to help?
I cannot find any info regarding the video subtitles, what are they, what info is supossed to show etc.
I will turn them on next time, and see what it shows, but this is something related to how the camera is locking the exposure.

On the mini they will be embedded, so use something like VLC to see them,  the captions usually include camera settings, location, speed etc so it might show you that the shutter is changing between shots.
2019-11-29
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-29 04:11
Interesting to know thanks!
Was that eventually fixed with FW updates?
Thanks in advance!

its still there I suppose
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-29 05:09
On the mini they will be embedded, so use something like VLC to see them,  the captions usually include camera settings, location, speed etc so it might show you that the shutter is changing between shots.

Will try that, but I don't think there is any indication of shutter speed changing, if it is related to shutter sped I think could be fixed in firmware, but otherwise is more likely the ISO, WB or something else.
We will se with more tests and hopefully some sort of info from DJI.
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-29 07:17
its still there I suppose

That's not cool, I hope the MINI is a different matter and can be adressed.
2019-11-29
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427480 ft
Russia

I guess the guys from DJI can tell us something about their solution to this problem? This is a really serious problem for many of us.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 11-30 04:37
I guess the guys from DJI can tell us something about their solution to this problem? This is a really serious problem for many of us.

Yes, really looking forward for a solution from DJI support guys. I'm not sure why there seems to be no answer to this matter, maybe they know, maybe they aknowledge it and will be silently fixed... who knows.
I've been doing tests and it seems to happen in darker areas, in a full light scenatio is impossible to see.
2019-11-30
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

Yes, I agree with you. I noticed this effect is noticeable on dark areas on a cloudy day.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 11-30 04:43
Yes, I agree with you. I noticed this effect is noticeable on dark areas on a cloudy day.

Yes. Specially cloudy environments or shadow areas.
I wonder if the Mini has some sort of control over shadows and highlights, this could explain how is trying to lift the dark areas or something and the rest is not affected as much.
2019-11-30
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

I truly believe that this is a software problem, and the solution to this problem is completely on the side of the guys from DJI.
DJI is still silent.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 11-30 07:18
I truly believe that this is a software problem, and the solution to this problem is completely on the side of the guys from DJI.
DJI is still silent.

Yeah it totally looks like SW based, really looking forward to any sort of answer from support...
2019-11-30
Use props
Pavel 2
lvl.1
Russia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 07:29
Yeah it totally looks like SW based, really looking forward to any sort of answer from support...

I believe what you are seeing is a known artifact of imperfect video coding caused by accumulated error in GOP sequence that becomes visible on next I frame (because the error vanishes suddenly). The "breathing" occurs in your video at slightly more than one second distance (take a loudly ticking clock to see for yourself) and this well correlates with the fact that I frames in this video occur every 30 frames (while the video is 25 fps). You can see frame types by running:
ffprobe.exe -select_streams v -show_frames -show_entries frame=pict_type -of csv DJI_0057_EV_LOCKED.MP4
(you will also see that there are only I and P frames and no B frames which is sad).

The video with waterfall that you gave a link to is 30 fps and the "breathing" there occurs exactly each second while the I frames distance is again 30 frames so this supports my guess.

Unfortunately, video encoding in low-power CPUs (Mavic Mini has Ambarella H22) is usually performed by certain hardware, not software, so I would not count on firmware fix in the future.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Pavel 2 Posted at 11-30 13:01
I believe what you are seeing is a known artifact of imperfect video coding caused by accumulated error in GOP sequence that becomes visible on next I frame (because the error vanishes suddenly). The "breathing" occurs in your video at slightly more than one second distance (take a loudly ticking clock to see for yourself) and this well correlates with the fact that I frames in this video occur every 30 frames (while the video is 25 fps). You can see frame types by running:
ffprobe.exe -select_streams v -show_frames -show_entries frame=pict_type -of csv DJI_0057_EV_LOCKED.MP4
(you will also see that there are only I and P frames and no B frames which is sad).

Wow!
Thanks for the super detailed information, loud and clear.
It seems like under good light scenarios the effect is almost invisible, but once you see it... is always there.
2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. I will be forwarding this thread/concern to our designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-2 10:54
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. I will be forwarding this thread/concern to our designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your valued support.

Finally support! Thanks.
I hope the designeted DJI department don´t have too much work lol
We are all trying to fine tune the Mini to be the best it can be.
Peace out.
2019-12-2
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

Dear DJI, do you have news for us?

We have Serious problem.
Pulsation of video is noticeable already when shooting on a bright sunny day.
This "pulsating" makes the video unused (!) .

Pavel 2 - спасибо за развёрнутый ответ
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 12-3 13:06
Dear DJI, do you have news for us?

We have Serious problem.

I also need some answers, today I noticed some shake for the first time, it was 10 degrees celsius outside andmaybe 18 inside the house, it didn´t had time to aclimatate to the environment so it may have an effect like I saw on another video.
2019-12-3
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238747 ft
Canada

Here's another test. I'm the guy who made the first post that you saw.

I still see the pulsing on full auto mode. It's pretty obvious:

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... Mn1u2YGnsAOD_r8E1Ft
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

vdefilippo Posted at 12-4 10:03
Here's another test. I'm the guy who made the first post that you saw.

I still see the pulsing on full auto mode. It's pretty obvious:

Hello,
Read the answer from Pavel 6 comments above this one.
It seems to be a hardware issue and it may be hard or impossible to fix with FW update.
We will see.

2019-12-4
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-4 10:16
Hello,
Read the answer from Pavel 6 comments above this one.
It seems to be a hardware issue and it may be hard or impossible to fix with FW update.

Yeah, I saw that reply. But I'll wait to see what DJI says.
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

vdefilippo Posted at 12-4 11:03
Yeah, I saw that reply. But I'll wait to see what DJI says.

Absolutely, is very annoying and evident in trees, and there are tons of those around me.
Dji support please shine a light on us, and we will eventually shut up lol
2019-12-4
Use props
fans8f487c1d
lvl.2
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2019-12-4 11:08
Absolutely, is very annoying and evident in trees, and there are tons of those around me.
Dji support please shine a light on us, and we will eventually shut up lol

DJI asked me to send in my drone. I'll try and update when I get it back.
2020-1-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

fans8f487c1d Posted at 1-13 06:32
DJI asked me to send in my drone. I'll try and update when I get it back.

Yes please let us know, since some experienced users suggest this is something that happens to other cameras with small sensors, would be great to see if you replacement unit fixes that.
I do notice jumps in my footage constantly too.
Keep us posted!
2020-1-13
Use props
djiuser_SZTNsN5wXQeA
New

Germany

any news? i have the same problem
2020-2-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

djiuser_SZTNsN5wXQeA Posted at 2-9 03:27
any news? i have the same problem

Apparently no, there seems to be a hardware issue that happens with small sensor cameras.
Not conviced myself would be great to fix it.
Once you see it, you cannot stop seeing it.
2020-2-9
Use props
Pietaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50387 ft
Germany

The problem is software related, not hardware and its no defective. The h264 Codec records a group of pictures and the problem calls GOP-Flickering. Each Second the camera records 30 frames- the first frame is the sharpest and the next 29 frames get more compressed.  This method causes the flickering repeating each second.

You can eliminate the Problem by deflicker filter. Davinci Resolve comes with a deflicker filter wich works very well in that case.

Just add the related clip into Resolve, then click on "edit" below. on the left side click on the magnifier and type in "deflicker". Pick the filter and drag it into the file in the timeline. Important: Click on "Open FX" at the upper right side and under "Deflicker Settings" choose"Fluoro Light" in the dropdown box. THe click on "deliver" at the bottom and set on the left site: MP4, the wanted resolution and the correct framerate.Klick on "add to render queue" and fire up the rendering by pressing "Start Render" at the right side.

The now rendered file is without the bad flickering and the footage looks very well.

The Problem got also nearby eliminated when you uploade the out of the cam file to youtube- the internal youtube filters automatically deflickers the footage- but youtube uses a bad compression so i would recommend using Resolve instead.
2020-2-9
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

I have not seen this in my video... I might check them again. It is obvious to me
2020-2-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Pietaster Posted at 2-9 13:45
The problem is software related, not hardware and its no defective. The h264 Codec records a group of pictures and the problem calls GOP-Flickering. Each Second the camera records 30 frames- the first frame is the sharpest and the next 29 frames get more compressed.  This method causes the flickering repeating each second.

You can eliminate the Problem by deflicker filter. Davinci Resolve comes with a deflicker filter wich works very well in that case.

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation!
2020-2-10
Use props
Pietaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50387 ft
Germany

Guorium Posted at 2-9 17:41
I have not seen this in my video... I might check them again. It is obvious to me

most people dont see that gop behavior or just does not realize this effect as flickering.
2020-2-10
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Pietaster Posted at 2-9 13:45

I found this flickering in my Video as well, even if it's already on youtube.

look at 0:19 to the stone-thing. It's really "hopping", very strange that this is the only thing on the screen which seems to be affected by this. And also very ugly when you realize it....

Is it the same you described?
2020-2-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules