Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
In Canada, should I register my Mavic Mini anyway?
7566 20 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

Here's a breakdown of the consequences of registering vs not registering:
Not Registering:
Penalty - None.
Benefit - None.

Registering:
Penalty :
1;  if you don't permanently mark your Mini with the registration number or if the number falls off or is not clearly visible, you are liable for a fine of up to $1,000.
2; They can trace you through your registration number, so, should your Mini take a detour and end up where it shouldn't be and that includes ALL Parks in Canada of which, there are more than enough, thank you VERY much, you are liable for a fine of up to $25,000 and/or Jail time. (an extra point for spotting the Brie Larson impression)

Benefits:
If you lose your drone, registration "may" help in returning it to you if it is found.
If there is a recall from the manufacturer, they "may" be able to notify you.

This has to be the worst sales pitch ever for registering your Mavic Mini even though you don't have to.
2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this information. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can give out the best information and theirs insights with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2019-11-29
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

The first time you turn on your DJI drone and connected it to the DJI app it gets registered with DJI.
2019-11-29
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

BobWinNV Posted at 11-29 14:19
The first time you turn on your DJI drone and connected it to the DJI app it gets registered with DJI.

I'm talking about registering with Transport Canada. I'm not sure DJI has the power to fine and Jail you.
2019-11-29
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Knapweed Posted at 11-29 14:22
I'm talking about registering with Transport Canada. I'm not sure DJI has the power to fine and Jail you.

No, But DJI might cave to pressure from Canada and reveal what they know if the circumstances warrant it.  My point is that you could be tied to your drone once you fly it.
2019-11-29
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

BobWinNV Posted at 11-29 14:45
No, But DJI might cave to pressure from Canada and reveal what they know if the circumstances warrant it.  My point is that you could be tied to your drone once you fly it.

I doubt DJI would cave but, cave or not, if you didn't register, you couldn't be fined for not displaying your registration number.
2019-11-29
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Personally i would not bother. But thats my opinion. My mavic pro and Mavic pro 2 are both registered however i will not be registering my Mavic mini if it ever shows up that is.
2019-11-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

No, Canadian citizens do not need to register any drone weighing below 250g, nor to pass the pilot certificate exam. They must, however, obey the rules of flying drones within NFZ or other restricted areas, national or provincial parks including.

The best way to avoid posting confusing interpretation of official rules is to include a link to related documents, released by Transport Canada:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... -legally.html#legal
2019-11-29
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-29 15:52
No, Canadian citizens do not need to register any drone weighing below 250g, nor to pass the pilot certificate exam. They must, however, obey the rules of flying drones within NFZ or other restricted areas, national or provincial parks including.

The best way to avoid posting confusing interpretation of official rules is to include a link to related documents, released by Transport Canada:

Actually, in your case you've made it more misleading. The Mavic Mini is classed as a 'Micro Drone" and as such, these are the rules that apply:

"Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly."

Yes, they will amend it but currently, all the rules apply only to Basic and Advanced flying, they don't apply to the Mavic Mini as it's a "Micro Drone".
2019-11-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Knapweed Posted at 11-29 16:08
Actually, in your case you've made it more misleading. The Mavic Mini is classed as a 'Micro Drone" and as such, these are the rules that apply:

"Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly."

Oh, silly me ... Me wrong, you right. You don't have to register this micro drone, but you can if you want to. Wait ... can you? You must state the make, model, serial number and weight ... Why weight? Crap, I'm confused ... Tell me, Knapweed, what should I do? Please, please tell me!
2019-11-29
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-29 21:35
Oh, silly me ... Me wrong, you right. You don't have to register this micro drone, but you can if you want to. Wait ... can you? You must state the make, model, serial number and weight ... Why weight? Crap, I'm confused ... Tell me, Knapweed, what should I do? Please, please tell me!

It's not complicated if you read it slowly. In Canada, you can register the Mavic Mini if you wish but you don't have to. The title of the thread is " In Canada, should I register my Mavic Mini anyway?". See how that works?

The idea was to start a discussion about the relative merits of registering the Mavic Mini and I thought that would have been implicit from the title. As to your question as to what to do, I'm afraid I can't help you with that other than to caution that if you decide to do so, you have to be at least 14 years old before you can fly it.
2019-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-29 15:52

Thanks for the tip!
2019-11-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

"It's not complicated if you read it slowly (...) you have to be at least 14 years old before you can fly it."

Oh, you're not only smart, you're also funny!
2019-11-30
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

Personally I think it's way better to not register. I mean the drone was made for this reason. Just a bummer we can't fly in provincial/national parks. The benefits of registration you listed don't seem to be worth it. I could imagine people who customize their drone (skins, landing struts etc) having to end up registering anyway though
2019-11-30
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 11-30 12:30
Personally I think it's way better to not register. I mean the drone was made for this reason. Just a bummer we can't fly in provincial/national parks. The benefits of registration you listed don't seem to be worth it. I could imagine people who customize their drone (skins, landing struts etc) having to end up registering anyway though

Yep, that's exactly the motive behind starting this thread. Some people may be tempted to register it because stickers or leg extenders have put it over 250g without fully realising what they have let themselves in for once they do.

e.g. Currently, there is no age requirement to fly a 'Micro Drone'; however, once you register it, you have to be at least 14 AND under the supervision of somebody that has a Basic Drone Licence. It's a very sloppy piece of legislation and I think Transport Canada is relying on users to Beta test it rather than doing their research properly.
2019-11-30
Use props
djiuser_Fr2oXx03I6Sj
lvl.1
United States

I plan on putting my phone number on it and praying a good samaritan will call.
2020-7-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I registered mine just because it was outfitted with a simple life vest ;-) That put it over the 250 gram limit. Doesn't matter much since I now also have an MA2 which does require me to register. So no cost downside, one registration for all my drones. I put my phone number on all mine because if it gets lost, I would like some help getting it back, Call me optimistic. So adding the reg # doesn't risk anything more.
2020-7-6
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

BobWinNV Posted at 2019-11-29 14:45
No, But DJI might cave to pressure from Canada and reveal what they know if the circumstances warrant it.  My point is that you could be tied to your drone once you fly it.

DJI can and does cooperate with authorities.

See the NTSB report of the New York incident involving a DJI Phantom 4 colliding with a Blackhawk helicopter.

NTSB Report #DCA17IA202A

"One motor and a portion of an arm of  the sUAS was recovered from the helicopter. Debris was found in the  engine oil cooler fan by Army maintenance personnel. The components were  transferred by the US Army to a representative of the FAA Teterboro,  New Jersey, Flight Standards District Office, then to the NTSB.  Manufacturing serial number information inscribed on the motor enabled  sales records provided by the manufacturer to aid in identifying the  pilot, as the sUAS was purchased directly from the manufacturer. The  remainder of the sUAS was not recovered."

2020-7-9
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Zbip57 Posted at 7-9 06:35
DJI can and does cooperate with authorities.

See the NTSB report of the New York incident involving a DJI Phantom 4 colliding with a Blackhawk helicopter.

I would hate to be that pilot!
2020-7-9
Use props
fans0f4e312c
lvl.1
Canada

Knapweed Posted at 2019-11-29 15:10
I doubt DJI would cave but, cave or not, if you didn't register, you couldn't be fined for not displaying your registration number.

The dji mini NO NEED TO BE REGISTRED TO TRANSPORT CANADA ...........
2022-1-14
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I'm in the US, but the rules in this case are similar.  I did register my Mini because most of the time it flies, it has some extra weight - and therefore is over 250g.  A substantial percentage of my flights are at night, so there are normally three strobes attached.  If I'm going to fly very far in daylight I attach a long duration strobe (thanks GaryDoug for that idea) to aid in location if the Mini goes down somewhere.  No, I don't bother with that when the flight will never get more than 100 feet from where I took off (photo flights at my house or a radio tower).
2022-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules