12Next >
21446 46 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

As the title states, is dji making that version? Sorry if this has been asked many times.
2019-11-29
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Someone shared a support communication in which the DJI customer service rep stated that there would not be a 32 bit version. But who really knows for sure.
2019-11-29
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-29 21:19
Someone shared a support communication in which the DJI customer service rep stated that there would not be a 32 bit version. But who really knows for sure.

UK resident (a relative of an official retailer) said, that 60 % of mavic minis were returned by angry customers, that could not run the app... 60 % is not an overlookable number - just like "a very small percent of our customers" - as Apple likes state so often, when they acknowledge design flaws in their products.
2019-11-29
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

JodyB Posted at 11-29 21:19

thank you! oh well my ancient phone will remain in hibernation then
2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Guorium. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. As of the moment we do not have any information if there will be a 32 bit version for the DJI Fly application in the future. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest news, events and updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ) for further details. Thank you for your support.
2019-11-30
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

What is the purpose of a 32-bit app? Are there phones/devices that only run 32 bit applications or something?
2019-11-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-30 09:23
What is the purpose of a 32-bit app? Are there phones/devices that only run 32 bit applications or something?

Currently the DJI fly app is 64 bit application which means it can not run on a device that has a 32 bit processor and or operating system. There are a lot of folks out there that have those 32 bit older devices and can use them with DJI fly app because of that.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-30 10:39
Currently the DJI fly app is 64 bit application which means it can not run on a device that has a 32 bit processor and or operating system. There are a lot of folks out there that have those 32 bit older devices and can use them with DJI fly app because of that.
True, but only one thing, that they are not necessarily old phones...
Look at any brand new, this year released Android phones in a price range ~150 - 200$ - the chances are that majority of them will be running 32bit Android...
(As i said, I got myself a new phone for 190$, but I had to specifically search for the one with 64bit Android)
2019-11-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 11:35
True, but only one thing, that they are not necessarily old phones...
Look at any brand new, this year released Android phones in a price range ~150 - 200$ - the chances are that majority of them will be running 32bit Android...
(As i said, I got myself a new phone for 190$, but I had to specifically search for the one with 64bit Android)

Yes, you’re right. I only referenced “old” phones because that’s the context the OP referred to them. I should have clarified. My apologies. There still some great devices out there that are 32 bit.
2019-12-1
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-1 09:44
Yes, you’re right. I only referenced “old” phones because that’s the context the OP referred to them. I should have clarified. My apologies. There still some great devices out there that are 32 bit.

No need to apologize... Although I am a SW developer myself and I am not shy to call myself tech-savvy - I too was completely oblivious untill recently, that phones with 32bit Android OS were still pretty common... Heck - I had no Idea that my phone with 64bit SoC was running 32bit Android - neither have I ever had a need to know that...

...Now think about the number of not very tech-savvy people interested in budget drones - That's why I will always call this stubborn decision by dji: short-sighted and detached from reality (or plain stupid)
2019-12-1
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-30 07:57
Hello and good day Guorium. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. As of the moment we do not have any information if there will be a 32 bit version for the DJI Fly application in the future. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest news, events and updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ) for further details. Thank you for your support.

So add Mini support to DJI to DJI Go4. btw in DJI Go 4 description is "DJI GO 4.0 has been optimized for all of DJI's latest products.", "Compatible with the Mavic Series"... So fix it and add Mini support.
2019-12-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Or why not just fix what they've already started. I kinda like the simplicity of the Fly app personally.
2019-12-2
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-2 05:54
Or why not just fix what they've already started. I kinda like the simplicity of the Fly app personally.

Personally, I like apps with more features. But it does not matter.  There is a problem and they have two possibilities how to solve it. Update DJI Go 4 or fix DJI Fly. Or both.
2019-12-2
Use props
djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv
lvl.2

United States

So I'm just about at the end of my rope here... not going to buy a new phone for my son for what's supposed to be his big Christmas present.  I was going to wait a bit longer to see what develops before returning it, but it looks like they're not doing anything about this.  Not even a statement from DJI that gives me any hope.  Does anyone know what non-DJI drone is out there in the same price range that will work with a normal phone (Moto G5s Plus)?
2019-12-7
Use props
djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv
lvl.2

United States

Looks like the Parrot Anafi is the best choice out there in the same price range that will actually fly.  No compatibility issues with the FreeFlight 6 app on any of my Android devices.  Will be returning my mini to Best Buy as defective as soon as the Anafi arrives and I have a chance to test it out.  Thanks, DJI, for making this an easy decision by sticking your head in the sand and pretending this isn't an issue.
2019-12-7
Use props
fans9299c31e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 443189 ft
Greece

Hi guys,
It's not about dji, but the new (August 2019) Play Store policy:

Starting August 1, 2019:
All new apps and app updates that include native code are required to provide 64-bit versions in addition to 32-bit versions when publishing to Google Play.

Starting August 1, 2021:
Google Play will STOP serving apps without 64-bit versions on 64-bit capable devices, meaning they will no longer be available in the Play Store on those devices.

hxxps://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html

So...
The supported devices by new dji fly app, must have a 64-bit processor AND a 64-bit Android OS.
Unfortunately this is bad news...
2019-12-10
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

fans9299c31e Posted at 12-10 14:54
Hi guys,

Well for the 32bit apk they can just provide download, and it can be  side loaded so Playstore policy is not excuse
2019-12-10
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv Posted at 12-7 04:06
So I'm just about at the end of my rope here... not going to buy a new phone for my son for what's supposed to be his big Christmas present.  I was going to wait a bit longer to see what develops before returning it, but it looks like they're not doing anything about this.  Not even a statement from DJI that gives me any hope.  Does anyone know what non-DJI drone is out there in the same price range that will work with a normal phone (Moto G5s Plus)?

I can't see DJI going backwards to 32Bit.

The thing that really gets me is the lack of not just DJI but all these big companies, is there lack of transparency and copy and paste replies to their customers.     
2019-12-10
Use props
Alamoflyer
lvl.2

United States

It's also memory there are no approved Android devices with less than 3GB of ram (fly needs memory). I got a refurb LG G6 for $120 online works great (to fix 2gb phone not good enough issue). Most 32 bit will be 2gb.
2019-12-10
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

Q: What's the difference between DJI support and a bucket of crap????

A: The Bucket.
2019-12-10
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

fans9299c31e Posted at 12-10 14:54
Hi guys,

App in store can have both versions. DJI must not provide app without 64bit version, DJI does not have to remove 32bit version. BTW DJI Go has only arm64-v8a  in apk. DJI Go has arm64-v8a+armeabi-v7a in one apk and respects 64bit app requirement. It IS about DJI.
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_Kyim60moLI86
New

Croatia

what a f.....fix the dji fly app to 32 bit or something
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv Posted at 12-7 04:06

Sorry to read your issue, I saw this coming... at least you are clever and not giving your son a drone that it wont work... but probably many many drone enthusiasts have had a Christmas present that simply would not work on their "relatively new or new" smartphones.
2019-12-30
Use props
fans66b2a1e6
New

United States

Why can't DJI add the mini to the go 4 app, I like all the features it has.
2020-2-14
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

fans66b2a1e6 Posted at 2-14 11:38
Why can't DJI add the mini to the go 4 app, I like all the features it has.

DJI Fly is internally called DJI.go.v5
I think its just an modified DJI go app. My best guess is the Video editing library is only avalible in 64bit.

DJI go 4 is not updated because it has too much Features for an entry level drone.
2020-2-14
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The google play store is making it a requirement that all apps support a 64bit architecture, so it makes sense for DJI to develop DJI Fly in 64bit rather than creating a 32bit version as well.
The latest versions of DJI Go4 has been modified to support 64bit.

https://android-developers.googl ... ady-for-64-bit.html
2020-2-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

The 32 bit version is DJI Go4, which is not compatible with the Mavic Mini and will never be supported, although the vast majority want it, in addition to constantly asking themselves why they had to make a poor DJI Fly!
2020-2-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

lannes Posted at 2-14 20:07
The google play store is making it a requirement that all apps support a 64bit architecture, so it makes sense for DJI to develop DJI Fly in 64bit rather than creating a 32bit version as well.
The latest versions of DJI Go4 has been modified to support 64bit.

Google requires support for 64-bit versions, but does not prohibit having 32-bit versions of these applications.
2020-2-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Alevpi Posted at 2-14 21:10
Google requires support for 64-bit versions, but does not prohibit having 32-bit versions of these applications.

Exactly my thoughts... In the audio industry we are using "wrappers" where you "bridge" a 32bit plugin in to a 64 bit "shell" and viceversa, not perfect but it works.
2020-2-15
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11119 ft
Switzerland

Hello everyone
This technical discussion surprises me
Applications such as DJI Pilot, DJI Go 4 ... incidentally X-hubsan are installed on our Smartphone

So there are applications developed for more "prestigious" drones perfectly functional ... while this DJi Fly, "entry level" product is it so restrictive?

Something "escapes me" ... or is it Google trying to get rid of old smartphones in time ... maybe also because of pressure from manufacturers?
2020-2-22
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Espace2020 Posted at 2-22 02:09
Hello everyone
This technical discussion surprises me
Applications such as DJI Pilot, DJI Go 4 ... incidentally X-hubsan are installed on our Smartphone

Not sure. But at some point tech companies will just go ah fk it get a new device. Just what they do...
2020-2-25
Use props
Krist Madsen
lvl.2
United States

This sucks I want to buy a mavic mini not a new phone.
2020-3-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are plenty of older used 64 bit phones available. Personally I like having the Mini's device dedicated to it. My real phone is for just that, not anything else. I just bought a very slightly used (if at all) Samsung Tab (tablet) A T290 for $99 that works just fine and has a very bright 8" screen.
2020-3-5
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

The only problem is that all devices support professional and semi-professional DJI drones, and then suddenly DJI releases a drone that needs 64bit devices and most devices are not compatible.
This is the initial level of drones, not professional and semi-professional, if DJI released a professional drone that requires a 64bit device, everyone would be happy with it.
The release of DJI Fly is a miscalculation of the head of the corresponding division of the company and usually, as other companies show, the head who made such a strategic miscalculation was simply dismissed!
2020-3-5
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

This sucks I want to buy a mavic mini not a new phone.

I did...  Bought my Mini BEFORE learning of the 32/64 issue.   I AM WEAK!!!!  found a relatively "cheap" Android device because, I AM WEAK!!!  I still have the 32bit device because I AM FRUGLE!!!!
2020-3-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apple has been 64 bit hardware since the iPhone 5s and began phasing out 32 bit software at the same time.  I guess DJI is thinking that android will be doing the same and since they were building a new app they just went with 64 bit.  I would not hold my breath for DJI to release a 32 bit app for MM.  I am sure DJI did a cost/benefit analysis before they made their decision as it seems that most of their decisions seem to be based on the bottom line.
2020-3-5
Use props
djiuser_KYeMKMzn6vdM
New

Malaysia

Hope can have a 32-bit Dji fly app....
2020-6-17
Use props
djiuser_s8SAyqEUgASy
New

Spain

I think the app has just been released
2020-10-24
Use props
djiuser_s8SAyqEUgASy
New

Spain

djiuser_s8SAyqEUgASy Posted at 10-24 00:14
I think the app has just been released

It hasn't. My bad
2020-10-24
Use props
comrant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983025 ft
Canada

asking for a 32 bit app of DJI FLY is like asking for a leaded gasoline version of a Tesla...
2020-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules