Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Basalt Quarry, Bunbury, WA
2294 17 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

History              Rocky Point is on the western side of the Bunbury townsite. It  is a prominent basaltic outcrop probably of Neocomian Age about 130  million years old. The feature is evidence of continental drift and  Australia’s earlier connection to Gondwanaland (or the separation into  continents of Australia and Antarctica).   Rocky Point is part of an ancient lava flow that extended from Bunbury  to Black Point at the mouth of the Donnelly River.   The unusual rock formation drew the attention of early settlers and is  commented on in the writings of Louisa Clifton and the Reverend J R  Wollaston. Reverend Wollaston described the phenomenon to friends in  England, saying that ‘these rocks are curious, but devoid of any shells  or seaweed.’ He compared the outcrop to the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland.    Over the years, the amazement and appreciation experienced by residents,  whalers, fishermen and tourists as they encountered Rocky Point has  been recorded in a number of documents.   In 1897, the Government Engineer, C Y O’Connor recognized the value of  using the existing northern extension of the basaltic material as a  foundation bed for the large Breakwater project at Point Casuarina.   The Bunbury Municipal Council quarried basalt for road building from at  least 1896 until the 1950s. At one time, the plant turned out 80 yards  of crushed metal per day and the prevailing notion of the authorities  was that the supply was ‘virtually unlimited’.   The quarry was located at the most northern extension of a large mass of  ancient basaltic rock (originally part of Gondwanaland) which extends  to Black Point, west of Windy Harbour.   Wyalup was the Aboriginal name commonly known and labeled for the area  in the first years of white settlement.   The residence at 44 Jarvis Street (B071) is built of basalt quarried  from this quarry.   The quarry closed in the 1950s.   The site continues to be a favoured vantage point and a popular  recreational spot where people enjoy fishing, picnicking and beach  access to the Indian Ocean. The upsurge of the ocean into Foaming  Channel during storms from a westerly direction is particularly  spectacular.

[/url]

2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Manxmann. Thank you for sharing this remarkable video and this informative information about Rocky Point in Bunbury, WA. Great work.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video
(and story)
2019-11-30
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-30 08:59
Hello and good day Manxmann. Thank you for sharing this remarkable video and this informative information about Rocky Point in Bunbury, WA. Great work.

Thankyou DJI Stephen - I thought it may be an interesting piece of history.
2019-11-30
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 11:56
Interesting video
(and story)

Thankyou Montfooij.  It must have made for an interesting workplace for the old timers,  having to work between tides.

2019-11-30
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Wonder what it originally looked like? I enjoy videos like this one on geology and plants.
2019-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Delightful.

Fun, backing sound track you chose, for this too. Good job.

RedHotPoker

2019-11-30
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Goldenseal Posted at 11-30 18:34
Wonder what it originally looked like? I enjoy videos like this one on geology and plants.

I'll bet it was hot,  hard work with little respect for OHS !
2019-12-1
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-30 22:55
Delightful.

Fun, backing sound track you chose, for this too. Good job.

Thanks RPH - glad you liked it.
Was the first time I have managed to get out & airbourne  for a while,  but summer is here now  
2019-12-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Manx,

Interesting video about an interesting area.  Mahalo for the History!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-12-1
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 12-1 01:00
Aloha Manx,

Interesting video about an interesting area.  Mahalo for the History!

You are welcome.  Glad you like it
2019-12-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Manxmann Posted at 12-1 00:57
Thanks RPH - glad you liked it.
Was the first time I have managed to get out & airbourne  for a while,  but summer is here now

Oh, is it brushfire season? Too.

That stuff scares me. Especially with all the “volunteer” brigades.
Yes, I thought the gorgeous water looked so beautful & blue. Happy not to see a bunch of plastic floating on the lovely beaches,

RedHotPoker
2019-12-1
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-1 01:20
Oh, is it brushfire season? Too.

It sure is Bushfire season.  We haven't been troubled too much on this side of the continent - yet.  But the poor buggers on the East coast .........  You gotta feel sorry for them.  Troubling part is that quite a few have been deliberately lit,  and I believe a few of those by volunteers.  

We are pretty lucky as far as far as clean ocean is concerned.   (I was quite proud of how clean it looked on the video)   Have friends that recently visited parts of Vietnam where they reckon you could just about walk on the water in places - that much plastic pollution..........  Yeah I know it's (supposedly) been done already !??
Bushfires aren't going to be a problem for you for a while eh ?   
Cobber on PEI had his snow blower out yesterday for the first time this season.  He reckons he enjoys it so much he'll likely run it again tomorrow.   Hahahaha
2019-12-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Manxmann Posted at 12-1 01:36
It sure is Bushfire season.  We haven't been troubled too much on this side of the continent - yet.  But the poor buggers on the East coast .........  You gotta feel sorry for them.  Troubling part is that quite a few have been deliberately lit,  and I believe a few of those by volunteers.  

We are pretty lucky as far as far as clean ocean is concerned.   (I was quite proud of how clean it looked on the video)   Have friends that recently visited parts of Vietnam where they reckon you could just about walk on the water in places - that much plastic pollution..........  Yeah I know it's (supposedly) been done already !??

Well, I wish everyone in Sydney only the very best....hope they are safe.

I pray more beaches and ocean sides could return to being clean and healthy, environmentally and lost physical characteristics return.

Our worst times for forest burning has passed, and winter is near.

RedHotPoker
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Manxmann Posted at 11-30 16:54
Thankyou Montfooij.  It must have made for an interesting workplace for the old timers,  having to work between tides.

You're welcome!
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Manxmann Posted at 11-30 16:52
Thankyou DJI Stephen - I thought it may be an interesting piece of history.

You are very much welcome Manxmann. It is indeed a very interesting place and a very interesting piece of history. Please stay safe always and keep on flying. .
2019-12-1
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nice one Manxmann. Water's looking good.
2019-12-3
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 12-3 02:24
Nice one Manxmann. Water's looking good.

Yeah it was pretty calm and clean eh ?  
2019-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules