Gimbal jerk up or down!?
3285 26 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Quite a bit of wind from behind the drone and I think I let the stick go because I wanted to brake right before the tree (I was under that). Then I saw this gimbal kicking up. Could this be a normal thing when sharp change in attitude occurs? I have seen this happening many times. Mostly they coincide with braking either in horizontal direction or vertical direction. Just one case it jerked downward while holding stready full speed forward in P mode.(wind from front-left) Please help!

I uploaded the flight log for the flight shown in this youtube video. The gimbal was at -90 and at 12m37s the braking caused a large tilt to the back (assuming the blue is craft attitude). https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DCLUA5TF8OEK9VD6UK2Y/#

For the flight I did yesterday where the gimbal kicked down. At 1:30 and 1:50 the video kicked down. The 1:50 one was more obvious so the second video is showing just that. They both coincided with me returning throttle stick to neutral. The 1:30 event did not show change in attitude but the 1:50 event did (nose down). Maybe vertical braking tilted the body down somehow? I don't think it should though!
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OQHYLJPKJ2BOK9AB5YY2/#

2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Post logs in case someone can see something. Not sure this is normal, I haven´t experienced it myself.
Let see if support can add some info.
2019-11-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 07:11
Post logs in case someone can see something. Not sure this is normal, I haven´t experienced it myself.
Let see if support can add some info.

Ok i will find out how to export log first
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Guorium Posted at 11-30 11:08
Ok i will find out how to export log first

Logs are stored within the APP, you can access them using iTunes or also with the DJI Assistant 2 software.

Here some links that may be of use for you:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... logs-from-itunes.29

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-11-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is what happens when they try to keep things under the 249g limit and increase profit margins.  You compromise having better PCB chips and components.  It could work some or most of the time but seeing a couple fly away reports is Not comforting.  Plus, one incident can make a couple Inspires 2 free.  It would just be nice if the reports could hit the internet for us to know about otherwise we would think nothing bad has ever happened.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 11-30 11:32
This is what happens when they try to keep things under the 249g limit and increase profit margins.  You compromise having better PCB chips and components.  It could work some or most of the time but seeing a couple fly away reports is Not comforting.  Plus, one incident can make a couple Inspires 2 free.  It would just be nice if the reports could hit the internet for us to know about otherwise we would think nothing bad has ever happened.

PCB and normal components would´t make the price to change that much, I think is mainly FW based.
Maybe the motors, compass and gps modules yes, they will have a huge impact in price and quality.
Let´s hope is all software based and they will eventually polish the behavior.
2019-11-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 11:56
PCB and normal components would´t make the price to change that much, I think is mainly FW based.
Maybe the motors, compass and gps modules yes, they will have a huge impact in price and quality.
Let´s hope is all software based and they will eventually polish the behavior.

Yeah, perhaps the gimbal motors are smaller than they should be.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 11-30 15:57
Yeah, perhaps the gimbal motors are smaller than they should be.

I hope not!
2019-11-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

When things are built beefier, you can get away with certain defects.  Intel used to cherry-pick the processors that can perform the best and made them into extreme editions.  The ones that failed tests had cores not mad so instead of an 8-core CPU, it was made as a 4-core CPU.  That's just a binning guess.

Gimbal issues and flyaways at launch would make me stay away but of course, a lot of people wouldn't and there will be those who don't have any idea about any of these things, they will fly and crash.  It has happened, currently happening, and will happen in the future.  The only way is to get a different design that is proven to work with things ironed out or gamble it out.  I've skipped all the DJI drones prior to the Spark 2.  Besides the Inspire 1, everything is Ocusync 2.0 w/ the latest firmware.

Some companies cost cut their future products for many reasons such as tariffs.  It hurts at the consumer-level when people get improperly robust products.
2019-11-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mavic's (Mini) gimbal is not the strongest one for sure and it will not handle sudden braking well. This is the scenario when you release throttle stick from full to 0. The mass of camera is pushing hard forward against gimbal bearings while the drone is abruptly tilting up probably 45 deg. Not easy task for a gimbal of this size and grade. Identical - I assume - gimbal on DJI Osmo Pocket doesn't like sudden moves as well. Not much to worry about, I think, just try to avoid jerky manoeuvrings ...
2019-11-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-30 18:41
Mavic's (Mini) gimbal is not the strongest one for sure and it will not handle sudden braking well. This is the scenario when you release throttle stick from full to 0. The mass of camera is pushing hard forward against gimbal bearings while the drone is abruptly tilting up probably 45 deg. Not easy task for a gimbal of this size and grade. Identical - I assume - gimbal on DJI Osmo Pocket doesn't like sudden moves as well. Not much to worry about, I think, just try to avoid jerky manoeuvrings ...

45deg? But S mode max attitude angle is 30deg.
2019-11-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 11:18
Logs are stored within the APP, you can access them using iTunes or also with the DJI Assistant 2 software.

Here some links that may be of use for you:

Thanks man you are great! I updated the post with uploaded logs and the time of the events.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

I can confirm this happening occasionally as well - usually a little while after hitting a full stop of the bordering angles after releasing the gimbal wheel it jumps just like in the video...
It does not seem like a HW problem of the gimbal itself - more like a "release the gimbal control - returns to back to the neutral positon with a spring quickly and it overshoots briefly the neutral positon...
That's what i thought - it is annoying nevertheless.
2019-12-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Gu5s Posted at 12-1 00:04
I can confirm this happening occasionally as well - usually a little while after hitting a full stop of the bordering angles after releasing the gimbal wheel it jumps just like in the video...
It does not seem like a HW problem of the gimbal itself - more like a "release the gimbal control - returns to back to the neutral positon with a spring quickly and it overshoots briefly the neutral positon...
That's what i thought - it is annoying nevertheless.

I did not even touch the gimbal dial when that happened.
2019-12-1
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Czechia

I will do some testing focused on this today - Will report back in couple of hours
2019-12-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Guorium Posted at 11-30 19:13
45deg? But S mode max attitude angle is 30deg.

No, you don't understand. I'm not sure what you mean by " attitude angle" ...  Whatever, just observe how the drone is reacting to abrupt throttle stick release, which you've applied. She will try to brake and stop immediately, which will require a rapid change of forward thrust to just the opposite. I'm not sure if that's exactly 45 deg swing, just guessing. Simultaneously the gimbal is trying to maintain stable camera position, but excessive forces involved are making it difficult. That's why you see occasional jump, I believe.
2019-12-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-1 01:34
No, you don't understand. I'm not sure what you mean by " attitude angle" ...  Whatever, just observe how the drone is reacting to abrupt throttle stick release, which you've applied. She will try to brake and stop immediately, which will require a rapid change of forward thrust to just the opposite. I'm not sure if that's exactly 45 deg swing, just guessing. Simultaneously the gimbal is trying to maintain stable camera position, but excessive forces involved are making it difficult. That's why you see occasional jump. I believe.

Ya make sense. Some people claim they never see it though. Just makes it suspicious that it is defect. BTW attitude angle is very important in aviation...
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Guorium Posted at 11-30 19:52
Thanks man you are great! I updated the post with uploaded logs and the time of the events.

You are welcome! Glad it helped.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 11-30 18:19
When things are built beefier, you can get away with certain defects.  Intel used to cherry-pick the processors that can perform the best and made them into extreme editions.  The ones that failed tests had cores not mad so instead of an 8-core CPU, it was made as a 4-core CPU.  That's just a binning guess.

Gimbal issues and flyaways at launch would make me stay away but of course, a lot of people wouldn't and there will be those who don't have any idea about any of these things, they will fly and crash.  It has happened, currently happening, and will happen in the future.  The only way is to get a different design that is proven to work with things ironed out or gamble it out.  I've skipped all the DJI drones prior to the Spark 2.  Besides the Inspire 1, everything is Ocusync 2.0 w/ the latest firmware.

Very true!
Would be interesting to see some of this info clarified by DJI themselves...
2019-12-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-1 02:44
Very true!
Would be interesting to see some of this info clarified by DJI themselves...

yeah, but we will never know about it

We won't even know if they do secret revisions.  I've had hard drives w/ the same model number and everything but the PCB layout was completely different, and I mean Completely different.  One of the big chips was in a diamond position and the other in a square.  It ran fine in RAID-0, though.

They've done "secret" revisions with the Spark battery clips.  The unfortunate souls who still have the older clips w/ no idea and no methods to keep the battery on such as a rear battery clip will end up with a "the drone fell out of the sky by itself" in the future.

2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 12-1 02:46
yeah, but we will never know about it

We won't even know if they do secret revisions.  I've had hard drives w/ the same model number and everything but the PCB layout was completely different, and I mean Completely different.  One of the big chips was in a diamond position and the other in a square.  It ran fine in RAID-0, though.

That is not good, if we are all beta testing this product, we should know of any hardware change...
2019-12-1
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Czechia

Guorium Posted at 12-1 00:30
I did not even touch the gimbal dial when that happened.

After today's 1hr session I sadly (or luckily?) have nothing to report - the behaviour at question did not occur...
Maybe it was just gimbal sitting way at back - you know as it is written in manual, that if needed you should gently pull it out.
2019-12-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Gu5s Posted at 12-1 06:06
After today's 1hr session I sadly (or luckily?) have nothing to report - the behaviour at question did not occur...
Maybe it was just gimbal sitting way at back - you know as it is written in manual, that if needed you should gently pull it out.

which page in the manual? I read the whole thing and I do not recall such statement.
2019-12-1
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Czechia

Guorium Posted at 12-1 07:02
which page in the manual? I read the whole thing and I do not recall such statement.

huh that seems to be fault on my part - I thought I must have ready it somewhere, but it seems like it was most likely some comment here on forums...
2019-12-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Guorium Posted at 12-1 01:54
Ya make sense. Some people claim they never see it though. Just makes it suspicious that it is defect. BTW attitude angle is very important in aviation...

Oh, you mean "maximum angle at which a given plane is climbing up"? Yes, obviously it's determined by many factors, but that's not the case here. And yes, your gimbal may be simply defective, although I've experienced such glitches with Osmo Pocket gimbal when exposed to hard shakes and strong wind gusts.
2019-12-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-1 13:22
Oh, you mean "maximum angle at which a given plane is climbing up"? Yes, obviously it's determined by many factors, but that's not the case here. And yes, your gimbal may be simply defective, although I've experienced such glitches with Osmo Pocket gimbal when exposed to hard shakes and strong wind gusts.

How about when you tilt the osmo pocket handle more than the gimbal tilt angle limit.
2019-12-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Guorium Posted at 12-1 15:01
How about when you tilt the osmo pocket handle more than the gimbal tilt angle limit.

I don't know. All I know is that these miniature gimbals don't like shaky situations. Be gentle on them and you should be fine ...
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules