Nice gripper in new ad
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

Just saw a new ad for the Robomaster S1, and it features a rather capable looking gripper attached to the front!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2594167674031033

robomaster gripper.jpg
2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day gpvillamil. Thank you for sharing this wonderful information and this link with us. Great find and thank you for your support.
2019-11-30
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

There are references to a robotic arm in the S1 internal software. I am pretty sure this is most l9ikelly close to be released.
2019-11-30
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It looks like the gripper frame is attached to the chassis via those tapped holes on the chassis ... I questioned what those were for a while back ... and someone replied: future accessories/expansions ... glad to see those put to good use.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks cool
2019-11-30
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

This design looks like it probably be 3D printed. I don't know if a servo motor would be powerful enough to operate a gripper that would be strong enough to hold a soda can though. This probably require a dual metal-servo mechanism.
2019-11-30
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Given the gripper is not available anywhere, I am not sure this is a wize publicity taunt by DJI to pull off so early.
2019-11-30
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do not recall but, are there any unused ports in the controller? ... for operating such attachment? My recollection is that all non-used ports were labelled 'for service' ... or something of sorts.
2019-11-30
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

JB63 Posted at 11-30 20:45
I do not recall but, are there any unused ports in the controller? ... for operating such attachment? My recollection is that all non-used ports were labelled 'for service' ... or something of sorts.

There are 6 PWM ports that can drive a servo, and those are documented and supported already. I’ve hooked up LEDs and servos to them.

The SBUS port apparently is soon going to be supported.

The serial port (UART) is also clearly labelled and exposed, so just a matter of time.

I was going to go over Duane’s teardowns to see what the M0 port is.
2019-12-1
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Not to revive an old thread ... but I thought the RoboMaster EP comes with two options: A gimbal like the S1, or a full robotic arm as shown in many threads. And, the builder has to decide early on which machine he wants to build. However, the picture at the beginning of this thread shows a grabber arm attached to the S1 ... this looks like something in-between the EP and S1 ... or maybe an additional accessory for the S1. Or again, maybe an idea that was only a prototype. How many military tanks out there (the S1 does look like one) have a grabber arm just under the canon ?

Thoughts?

2020-7-4
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

JB63 Posted at 7-4 20:37
Not to revive an old thread ... but I thought the RoboMaster EP comes with two options: A gimbal ike the S1, or a full robotic arm as shown in many threads. And, the builder has to decide early on which machine he wants to build. However, the picture at the beginning of this thread shows a grabber arm attached to the S1 ... this looks like something in-between the EP and S1 ... or maybe an additional accessory for the S1. Or again, maybe an idea that was only a prototype. How many militayr tanks out there (the S1 does look like one) have a grabber arm just under the canon ?

Thoughts?

Good point. The ad indeed shows an S1 with a gripper in addition to the cannon, unlike the EP.

A friend who works in robotics feels the EP design is far superior in terms of balance and mechanics, and that the S1 attachment in the video could have problems.

Still, it would be nice to have! I realized later that there are multiple accessible CANBus ports left available, so that could be a way to connect the arm.
2020-7-5
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you ... amazing (and also a bit disheartening) how much potential such toy has. What brought me to it was the Meccanum wheel (I tried those with Lego few years back) and everything else. The idea that you can do things that would've required a Lego Mindstorms + Meccanum WHeels + Arduino + a multitude of sensors (The way I saw it) was a very appealing proposition ... until reality bit and it's (for now) just another camera on an RC vehicle.... Really, how long can you chase the family cat before both you/him lose interest?
If only DJI opens up the programming and electronics interfacing, we could see a surge of projects on Thingiverse ... for add-ons and upgrades.   
2020-7-6
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

JB63 Posted at 7-6 17:18
Thank you ... amazing (and also a bit disheartening) how much potential such toy has. What brought me to it was the Meccanum wheel (I tried those with Lego few years back) and everything else. The idea that you can do things that would've required a Lego Mindstorms + Meccanum WHeels + Arduino + a multitude of sensors (The way I saw it) was a very appealing proposition ... until reality bit and it's (for now) just another camera on an RC vehicle.... Really, how long can you chase the family cat before both you/him lose interest?
If only DJI opens up the programming and electronics interfacing, we could see a surge of projects on Thingiverse ... for add-ons and upgrades.

TBH once I actually started going through the tutorials, I realized that there is a lot of potential even in what is available already.

You could, in theory, already build and program a gripper using the 6PWM outputs. What I'm really missing is clear access to the serial port (UART), that would really open up a lot.
2020-7-8
Use props
djiuser_6h5WcLVPJ6rk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63806 ft
Mexico

gpvillamil Posted at 2020-7-8 08:57
TBH once I actually started going through the tutorials, I realized that there is a lot of potential even in what is available already.

You could, in theory, already build and program a gripper using the 6PWM outputs. What I'm really missing is clear access to the serial port (UART), that would really open up a lot.

Hi, do you have any news, about the gripper?
2021-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules