dont buy the mini its garbage
16992 162 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

willbo Posted at 11-30 17:08
hi fried not looking for sympathy or your insults I did not crash in hazardous conditions i was flying the drone in a large gymnasium in cinematic mode like i said the drone had a sensor failure and flew into wall and that tore the camera and gimbal from the craft . prop guards would have had no affect as they protected the props not the camera. I would love to provide logs but as i have said im not sure how to do that and the drone is in the garbage as well i have deleted the app. I completely understand how upset you must be to troll me o this forum . but im not asking anyone for anything nor do i want anything . we are all responsible for our own actions  this may have not been what you may have done but it is what i did so deal with it and move on. PEACE!

"flew into wall and that tore the camera and gimbal from the craft .  prop guards would have had no affect as they protected the props not the  camera"

to make it clear, that wasn't the wall. cam and gimbal got damaged from the fall to the floor. and that happend because propellers were damaged by the wall. if it had the guard on props would be ok, as it was slow cynematic mode,  and mini still in the air. i still think guards would save it in this case.

2019-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

willbo Posted at 11-30 20:29
hi Mindy again the drone is in the garbage and the app is deleted i understand its an extreme reaction but ive just had enough with the glitches in the DJI products i have purchased maybe its because im an early adopter of your drones and buy the first ones available or maybe im just unlucky or expecting to much

"maybe its because im an early adopter of your drones and buy the first ones available or maybe im just unlucky or expecting to much"

Maybe, but maybe not.  Had multiple problems with Mavic Pro Platinum, it's Remote Control, and CrystalSky Ultra Bright.  Problems with each of their replacements.

Mavic Pro Platinum was based on well established Mavic Pro.  Same with MPp's Remote Control.  The CrystalSky Ultra Bright did use a brighter screen, but it was based on larger of two CrystalSkys.

Point being, there can be problems even when you are a late adopter of line.

2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

willbo Posted at 11-30 18:02
according to the fly app i was connected to 7 satellites and when the sensor warning came up i was still connected to 7 so no idea what sensor failed
I usually get 15+ satellites outside. 7 satellites should be good enough though...
The other concern might be indoor "jitter" (idk what are the correct technical terms)... Even though the drone can "hear" 7 satellites, because of the building construction - some of the "heard" signals might arrive to the device later than they would out in the open and that could cause the GPS unit to misinterpret its position - the principles of GPS are quite sensitive as they rely on comparing millisecond differences in timestamps of these signals - interpreting the travel time - thus the distance
It can make you jump up to 10-20m in one direction at certain spots indoors, just because one signal could have had a longer path to travel... more satellites only means a lesser chance for an error...

Sudden losses of control and uncontrolable fly aways at full speed definitely sound like a HW failure though.
In your case I do believe you would have gotten a warranty repair. (But sadly not like this :/ )
2019-11-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 23:05
I usually get 15+ satellites outside. 7 satellites should be good enough though...
The other concern might be indoor "jitter" (idk what are the correct technical terms)... Even though the drone can "hear" 7 satellites, because of the building construction - some of the "heard" signals might arrive to the device later than they would out in the open and that could cause the GPS unit to misinterpret its position - the principles of GPS are quite sensitive as they rely on comparing millisecond differences in timestamps of these signals - interpreting the travel time - thus the distance
It can make you jump up to 10-20m in one direction at certain spots indoors, just because one signal could have had a longer path to travel... more satellites only means a lesser chance for an error...

It should switch to Atti/positioning mode then and hover.  Some have flyaways where it exceeds the maximum tilt and speed which means it has the same errors as the 737 Max 8 MCAS which cost lives to know.  Perhaps something is going on at the manufacturing level where companies are using the same method that has a failure rate that isn't shown until after mass production.  Something has been overlooked and wasn't known during R&D and QA.  Most likely the tariffs for cost-cutting to inflate the profit margin by going towards more efficient experimental designs.  Maybe they've implemented ways for things to be "hack-proof" that causes erroneous signals to be sent enough that the critical systems get confused.   Mass producing the ADS-B in 2020 with a broken system that takes control like this could be disastrous due to the size.  At least the drones we have now work.  They get the job done reliably which is the most important thing, not end up causing structural damage where some of the customers still have money that they owe.  As a consumer, we are at the mercy of hoping the companies that engineer the products that we choose to use work.  If they don't, we get blamed just as companies get blamed for a couple of their employees going wrong such as a few fatalities caused by their employees resulting in big contract terminations or unaffordable insurance rates and the business going bankrupt that used to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
2019-12-1
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Classic first adopter issues.

I am sure I will experience similar with the Skydio though when I get it there would likely have been a couple of FW updates.

I think the Mini is potentially very good value but it does look somewhat feeble.
2019-12-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 12-1 02:02
Classic first adopter issues.

I am sure I will experience similar with the Skydio though when I get it there would likely have been a couple of FW updates.

That's not comforting.   Probably wait a few weeks before flying it but who does that.  Fly day one and fly hard under controlled opened conditions testing on an open tree of course.  Passing rate must be 100% on every maneuver before going full no-look autonomous.  Otherwise you go many miles only to realize the drone is gone.

Hopefully, they've tested hard and the couple of FW updates already has happened before launch.

2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Sorry for your loose, maybe metal structures within the Gym also confused the compass?
Anyway I understand your frustration.
2019-12-1
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Embarrassment at the gym did all that to you? You must have been a site to see there lol
2019-12-1
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

On a lighter note.......

I've  saved the picture of your Mavic Mini's corpse. If (hopefully not when) anything ever happens to mine, I'll look at the picture and say, 'Hmm...... mines not so bad'.

Have a safe Sunday, everyone!

(Photo Credit: willbo / DJI Forum)
Mavic Mini Corpse.JPG
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-1 04:26
On a lighter note.......

I've  saved the picture of your Mavic Mini's corpse. If (hopefully not when) anything ever happens to mine, I'll look at the picture and say, 'Hmm...... mines not so bad".

lmao that was hilarious, and a quote under saying "please count to ten before any decision making". I may do that myself and hang in in the wall.

Anyway this thread demonstrates why going to the gym s..ks.
2019-12-1
Use props
Charlie Largo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3540 ft
Sweden

Hi, I have an order to pick up my Mavic mini next week...(Hopefully)

Would you recommend buying the Dji Care package..?
Does it cover little mishaps like this one ..?

Thanks in advance...!
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Charlie Largo Posted at 12-1 06:57
Hi, I have an order to pick up my Mavic mini next week...(Hopefully)

Would you recommend buying the Dji Care package..?

100% recommended, and yes it covers this sort of accident, as long as you have the drone to return it.
2019-12-1
Use props
Charlie Largo
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks for the reply InspektorGadjet..!

Buying the Care package sounds like a no brainer for me...!
I wont be smashing it up and throwing it in the bin if I have a crash...that's for sure..!
2019-12-1
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4485558 ft
Romania

Charlie Largo Posted at 12-1 07:14

it is not necessary to do that, but you can lose it, and dji does not refund if the drone is not returned
2019-12-1
Use props
Charlie Largo
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks for the tip WooZie..!
2019-12-1
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You are saying thats 4 drones and 3 of them had broken gimbals.
What happened to the other 2 drones?
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Charlie Largo Posted at 12-1 07:14

Absolutely no brainer,  you fly with more peace of mind also.
So many things can go wrong, some of your own responsibility others maybe external factors like birds, other AC, weather, human stupidity, malfunction... better safe than sorry.
2019-12-1
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You suck at this DJI drone thing...
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

dronie1965 Posted at 12-1 08:11
You are saying thats 4 drones and 3 of them had broken gimbals.
What happened to the other 2 drones?

vision 2 plus crashed during autonomous flight there was a small outcropping of rock that was 5 feet higher then i set the altitude for and my flight path just grazed it causing drone to crash. it was my first time doing using the autonomous flight feature....... of course lol. i did repair the camera and gimbal but ive never got it working just right a little jittery

the Mavic was a weird one i was flying it sideways as fast as it would go and when i braked heavy  the drone tilted almost 90 degrees this was one of the first mavic delivered anyway it tore its own gimbal ribbon cable i think dji has fixed that issue. drone still fly's well and i have the ribbon cable to fix it but unfortunately my eyes are just not that good anymore lol still fly the mavic i have just removed power from the gimbal and lock it down with the gimbal cover if your flying on a calm day still takes a good picture
2019-12-1
Use props
NM Steve
lvl.1
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 12-1 10:25

ROFL.  Almost sounds like a troll post from a Yuneec fanboi.
2019-12-1
Use props
VisualeyesAerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5242769 ft
  • >>>
United States

You've lost 4 drones?  I'm guessing it's operator error....
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 12-1 10:25

come on now you do not know the full story lol. i fly in rather harsh conditions from a small island in Hudson Bay Canada. and I understand the hazards of flying here and take full responsibility. for one thing we have a very high degree of magnetic declination here at 15.37 degrees and the island is comprised of mostly high grade iron ore these two factors alone cause issues that being said in most cases outdoors you have the time to recover. there is an area near my home that i really dont know what happens but every time i have flown in that area it causes the drone to do some weird stuff never crashed but have come real close and have had some rather heavy landings it like a cone of no fly zone lol i just do not fly in that area anymore
that being said i do seem to have more issues with the DJI products then any other brand i own but i think is because of the relative complexities of the DJI products compaired to my planes the only issue i have with the planes is the Snowy Owls here DO NO LIKE THEM lol
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 12-1 10:47
You've lost 4 drones?  I'm guessing it's operator error....

haven't lost any drones still have every one except the mini they all still fly but the only one with a good camera gimbal combo is the spark and the weird thing is so many ppl have had issues with the spark but mine has been more or less rock solid only time ive ever had a problem with the spark was when i forgot to unfold the props ( i would not recommend trying it lol)
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

NM Steve Posted at 12-1 10:42
ROFL.  Almost sounds like a troll post from a Yuneec fanboi.

sry you lost me on this one what the H is a Yuneec fanboi ???
2019-12-1
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Gray Volk Posted at 11-30 16:19
flying without cage indoor was a bad idea. positioning in this case is based on the camera. and camera can be easily fooled by repetitive patterns and reflections on the floor. I think that's probably happened.

you can still sell the parts on ebay. just checked camera with gimbal about $190 (that's what it would cost you to replace at least), remote $110, batteries, motors. You can still get more than half of the money back.

I have flown my Spark indoors, just on ATTI (in the house) a lot of times without any problems, the M.Mini should be just as good.
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

willbo Posted at 12-1 11:07
sry you lost me on this one what the H is a Yuneec fanboi ???

Hey all I guess we are not in the right  forum but what is the best advice you have for disposing of my old worn out flight batteries I have three from the vision 2 that are no longer any good and i still have one of those flawed mavic batteries you know the ones that developed cracks in the case. ive been thinking of sending them to a hazardous waste disposal facility.
2019-12-1
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 11-30 18:27
"I lost it its not like thease things are cheap I eneded up ripping that thing apart with my bare hands wow it felt so good and now if you want to know what the inside of a mavic mini looks like have a look at the pic."

They had to cost cut because of the tariffs.  They had to design it to be under the 249g limit.  Just another couple of grams for complete robustness and people wouldn't buy as they need to register to fly it.  Regulations ruin a lot of things, especially at the racing level.

249g is ridiculously too close to the 250g limit and not worth the trouble to bypass the <250g regulation.  This has resulted in a lot of shortcuts in the AC. The Spark at 298g is pretty much the lowest limit for the non-toy drone.
2019-12-1
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY Posted at 11-30 18:09
I think most of us are the same... we bought the mini knowing there would be problems... but we all want a chance to fly this drone legally... drones are in their last days before being regulated out of existence for us. We might only see a few months before they change the rules again and the mini will be obsolete too. Drones will be only for government and corporations in the near future. The only drones left will be ones flown indoors and I'm sure they would like to ban that too.

I couldn't agree more with you djiuser......
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 12-1 11:12
I have flown my Spark indoors, just on ATTI (in the house) a lot of times without any problems, the M.Mini should be just as good.

again i dont think the cage would have mattered one bit when the drone hit the wall it hit back end first and i think caused the battery to momentarily loose connection when i picked up the drone it was powered off. and although it was in C mode it was definitely going faster then it should have in C mode

there is a post were a guy had a fly away the drone reversed and flew at something like 65 mph and then recovered after 1000 feet or something I think mine was similar to that but because i was inside the drone did not recover.
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 12-1 11:19
249g is ridiculously too close to the 250g limit and not worth the trouble to bypass the

agreed !!!!!
2019-12-1
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

willbo Posted at 12-1 11:22
again i dont think the cage would have mattered one bit when the drone hit the wall it hit back end first and i think caused the battery to momentarily loose connection when i picked up the drone it was powered off. and although it was in C mode it was definitely going faster then it should have in C mode

there is a post were a guy had a fly away the drone reversed and flew at something like 65 mph and then recovered after 1000 feet or something I think mine was similar to that but because i was inside the drone did not recover.

Don't dispose of the rest of the MM, you may be able to sell it for spare parts to others that will crash their.
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

On a lighter note.......

I've  saved the picture of your Mavic Mini's corpse. If (hopefully not when) anything ever happens to mine, I'll look at the picture and say, 'Hmm...... mines not so bad'.

Very well done. and understand I do not recommend doing what i did but at that moment it felt great. and a day later it still feels good lol. and look for an old dude thats not really into the social networking thing this has been a rather successful post its got ppl talking anyway lol
2019-12-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch - that ain't good
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

On a lighter note.......

hey i didnt even notice I got a photo credit sweet always for the wrong reasons lol bad boys bad boys
2019-12-1
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

willbo Posted at 12-1 11:41
Very well done. and understand I do not recommend doing what i did but at that moment it felt great. and a day later it still feels good lol. and look for an old dude thats not really into the social networking thing this has been a rather successful post its got ppl talking anyway lol

Hey willbo....... I understand, and I'm ok with what happened. Heat of the moment and all.

And your coming to post here? I understand as well. You needed to vent your frustration. C'mon people... we all do it in one way or another.

As a first time DJI drone owner (but a VERY long time RC flyer, and a retired airline pilot), I too have my reservations about the Mavic Mini. I'm at the point where the trepidation I feel each time I fly it, and the anticipation that something may go awry, is making it all a bit not worth it. I shall however continue to learn and discover, with the hope that as an early adopter (I got mine on launch day - 11/11) things will sort themselves out as fixes and updates are rolled out.

Have a good evening!
2019-12-1
Use props
willbo
lvl.1
Canada

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-1 13:04
Hey willbo....... I understand, and I'm ok with what happened. Heat of the moment and all.

And your coming to post here? I understand as well. You needed to vent your frustration. C'mon people... we all do it in one way or another.

Hey ...thanks for the kind words and good luck with your mini. couple things i did notice when flying indoors. when the drone first lifts off it will sometimes wander quite a bit  so its best not to be to close to anything when taking off. i noticed then when it starts to wander on take off if you just yaw it back and forth a couple times it seems to settle down and stabilize. also if you do have even a very light crash or wall strike double check your battery to make sure it is still seated properly.
2019-12-1
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1540384 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have flown mine for 2 days, indoors and outdoors.  No issues, very happy.  I think you would have been better off starting to fly with the prop guard installed. It takes a lot to crash a drone in that many pieces...
2019-12-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

telecam Posted at 12-1 13:46
Have flown mine for 2 days, indoors and outdoors.  No issues, very happy.  I think you would have been better off starting to fly with the prop guard installed. It takes a lot to crash a drone in that many pieces...

lol, i don't think collision with an aircraft could have done that damage.

he said "... I eneded up ripping that thing apart with my bare hands."
2019-12-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Spark yaw expo is way way way too high in tripod mode.  It does absolutely nothing at 0-50% stick travel then just ramps up the yaw rotation making it very hard to control.  It's as bad as trying to finesse the acceleration from a stop in gear 1 in a 53' tractor trailer.  If you do it in gear 2 or 3 it's a lot smoother otherwise the whole truck torque rolls with just 1mm of pressure too much but the instructor always insists gear 1.
2019-12-1
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why were you flying in the gym? A lot of metal in there? You break it before or after the pre workout kicked in ?
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules