Storing batteries in charging hub
1368 3 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NM Steve
lvl.1
United States

Wondering if storing your batteries in the hub (or aircraft) will trickle drain them over a long time? Seeing posts about low battery crashes, perhaps people have had their formerly fully charged batteries in the hub for a long time. Also not sure of the self-discharge rates of the batteries themselves. Although DJI provides several methods to see what the charge is before takeoff, so there is no excuse for taking off with less than 50 or 60 percent anyway.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

From fully charged batteries to completely discharged (avoid that at all costs!) on its own should take months maybe to years - so there probably should be no reason for concern - I'd definitely discourage everyone using the charging chasis as a powerbank, since you could forget to unolug your device and drain them completely (that probably would not happen anyway, since I believe there should be a smart circuitry, preventing damaging the cells, but you might be needlessly chipping the batteries "health" bit by bit)
I could imagine higher passive discharge inside the drone - inside the charging chasis would be outrageous...
Well I am not willing to set my mini aside to measure voltages for 1-2 months just to get any usable data
2019-11-30
Use props
NM Steve
lvl.1
United States

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 23:33
From fully charged batteries to completely discharged (avoid that at all costs!) on its own should take months maybe to years - so there probably should be no reason for concern - I'd definitely discourage everyone using the charging chasis as a powerbank, since you could forget to unolug your device and drain them completely (that probably would not happen anyway, since I believe there should be a smart circuitry, preventing damaging the cells, but you might be needlessly chipping the batteries "health" bit by bit)
I could imagine higher passive discharge inside the drone - inside the charging chasis would be outrageous...
Well I am not willing to set my mini aside to measure voltages for 1-2 months just to get any usable data

I have a LiFePO4 battery I use to power a portable ham radio. It has multiple cells and internal circuitry to keep the voltages equal, that causes it to trickle down. Do the MM batteries have similar circuitry? Also, the MM batteries come in a hibernation state. Can the user put it back in hibernation? I know for long term storage they should be at 50%.
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. I will highly recommend you to remove the batteries on the hub if you are planning to store it. Also, you need to discharged the batteries for about 40-60% if it will not be used for 10 or more days. You may also refer to the image below. Hope this helps. Thank you!
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules