Lock White Balance in video!
12Next >
8247 62 2019-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

I am really disappointed about this and strongly considering returning my dji mavic mini.

I own 2 other drones by DJI and a whole bunch of their other products (osmo ronin etc) and it’s the first time I feel disappointed by a dji product.

It makes absolutely no sense that that locking the exposure dosen’t lock white balance. I can deal with the EV comp. meter to set exposure (even if it’s REALLY annoying), but WB changing mid shot is unacceptable.

I flew my drone this morning out to do a sunrise shot over a winter landscape. The snow changed color 3 times in 1 shot. The footage is garage because of it.

Please get this fixed. I don’t see how hard it can be...
2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we apologize for the inconvenience caused, your concern has been escalated to our engineers for attention, we will keep improving our product to make you have a better experience.
2019-12-4
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I don't think it's hard, I think it's just part of the set of features DJI intentionally left out to differentiate the Mini from the more expensive drones...
2019-12-4
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

Ice_2k Posted at 12-4 05:16
I don't think it's hard, I think it's just part of the set of features DJI intentionally left out to differentiate the Mini from the more expensive drones...

Why? expensive drones have much more features depending on their better hardware. they don't need ripped off basic software features. If lock WB is main feature for expensive drone, then something is wrong.
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

The Mini does a pretty good job with WB i general but some scenarios are tricky and will lead to wrong WB.
Manual WB is a must even for beginners.
2019-12-4
Use props
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-4 07:00
The Mini does a pretty good job with WB i general but some scenarios are tricky and will lead to wrong WB.
Manual WB is a must even for beginners.

I agree it does a good job to set the correct WB. The problem is that it keeps changing it while recording, while exposure is lock. This dosen’t make any sens to me.
2019-12-4
Use props
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-4 05:05
Hi there, we apologize for the inconvenience caused, your concern has been escalated to our engineers for attention, we will keep improving our product to make you have a better experience.

Thank you. We don’t need to have an option to choose WB. Just please lock the WB when the exposure is locked. It would be the minimum...
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

fans35a5711e Posted at 12-4 09:23
Thank you. We don’t need to have an option to choose WB. Just please lock the WB when the exposure is locked. It would be the minimum...

That is actually a pretty good idea, and somehow stays within the concept of drone for begginers, or with not so many complicated stuff, I still think though that regarding the camera, there should be a "travel" or "begginers" mode for those who don't want to get too technical with the image, and then a "Pro" or "advance" mode in which you can set more things manually.
2019-12-4
Use props
djiuser_ZHWxyQXh5ep0
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The mini does a fantastic job  of automatically setting exposure and white balance but exposure encompasses wb when in video so exposure lock  should lock wb too... This isn't a difficult amendment to make to the firmware and would be a hugely welcome update in the near future...
Please, DJI! Help us!
2019-12-4
Use props
djiuser_ZdWV5zgNWrfg
lvl.1

France

lojzik Posted at 12-4 06:46
Why? expensive drones have much more features depending on their better hardware. they don't need ripped off basic software features. If lock WB is main feature for expensive drone, then something is wrong.

Fully agree with you.
That's a pity to have such kind of software limitations which are only justified by a stupid commercial strategy.
Having a product designed for beginners is a smart strategy, but thinking they won't complain about basic features artificially removed isn't at all...

DJI, please unlock white balance, shutter/speed control, raw, 4K, SDK, etc... your other products still have other arguments to value on!
2019-12-4
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

djiuser_ZdWV5zgNWrfg Posted at 12-4 14:42
Fully agree with you.
That's a pity to have such kind of software limitations which are only justified by a stupid commercial strategy.
Having a product designed for beginners is a smart strategy, but thinking they won't complain about basic features artificially removed isn't at all...

DJI presents MM as "Everyday flycam" with professional outputs  not as "dron for beginners".  And professional output assumes some features. btw every DSLR or CSC with powerfull features has some P  or A+ mode and jpg output for beginners (often default)  and many beginners have this cameras and press only shutter button. Easy for beginners and features for professional output.
2019-12-4
Use props
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_ZdWV5zgNWrfg Posted at 12-4 14:42
Fully agree with you.
That's a pity to have such kind of software limitations which are only justified by a stupid commercial strategy.

Let’s not ask too much haha.

-Lock in WB when exposure is locked.

Please and thank you
2019-12-5
Use props
le_wib
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42198 ft
France

Yes please, like in every basic camera, at least WB presets such as cloud, sun, shad...) and if you can add shutter control on video mode and 24 fps, that would awesome !!!
2019-12-5
Use props
Warwick Jones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

This sounds a lot like something that will appear imminently in a future firmware update.

I doubt locking WB when you lock exposure will cannibalise their more expensive drones. I look forward to seeing this in the next firmware update.

DJI are easily one of the best companies for releasing brand new features for existing hardware through a firmware update. Sometimes it can feel like a whole new product.
2019-12-6
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

This is just a firmware thing, of course.  We can only speculate as to why some of these features were not included with the mini from the get-go, but we can hope that more features are added via firmware updates as time goes on.

Personally, I'd like to have WB lock that is independent of exposure lock.  Give us some presets, auto, and the old "degrees kelvin" adjustment as alternatives.

These features may have been left out of the mini to help differentiate it from more expensive offerings, or they may have been left out in a rush to get these to market before Christmas, or the designers may have felt that such features might confuse new users and lead to a bunch of customer complaints and bad reviews when it's just user ignorance.  I can just see it now:  "My DJI Mavic Mini shoots horrible video.  Everything comes out blue!", etc.

Still, I'd like to see more of these features added as they have more time to refine the firmware.

2019-12-6
Use props
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

Sigmo Posted at 12-6 22:19
This is just a firmware thing, of course.  We can only speculate as to why some of these features were not included with the mini from the get-go, but we can hope that more features are added via firmware updates as time goes on.

Personally, I'd like to have WB lock that is independent of exposure lock.  Give us some presets, auto, and the old "degrees kelvin" adjustment as alternatives.

That’s what I am thinking, they « rushed » it for Christmas.

Plus if they keep doing firmware updates (with features that should already be there) it can make them look good because they « listen to their customers » and they « keep perfecting their products to please their valued customers ».
2019-12-7
Use props
djiuser_Mzv90gqKwFHu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 527608 ft
United States

Yes, please add some WB settings like sunny, cloudy etc. Or at a bare minimum allow us to lock what is there now. It's easy enough to adjust in post (although this drone is supposed to be about quick sharing not having to fix in post) it's not easy when the WB shifts several times in a video.
2019-12-8
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I'd be very happy if DJI implement full manual control in photo/video modes. Please DJI, we know you can
2019-12-8
Use props
mauriziob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32671 ft
Italy

djiuser_Mzv90gqKwFHu Posted at 12-8 19:37
Yes, please add some WB settings like sunny, cloudy etc. Or at a bare minimum allow us to lock what is there now. It's easy enough to adjust in post (although this drone is supposed to be about quick sharing not having to fix in post) it's not easy when the WB shifts several times in a video.

WB settings and/or WB lock would be fully appreciated.
Not such a big effort for the company, big improvement for the drone.
People won't buy a more expensive DJI drone for the lack of this, they'd rather buy a cheaper one from another company so it's better to add this option.

Full manual control in video would be TOP too...
2019-12-10
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Went flying today at sunset, only to have the white balance drift to a nasty pale colour at the end.

I was able to salvage it in post by boosting the temp with a keyframe, but you can see the image loose a bit of its pizazz.

I'm super impressed with the dynamic range and soft gradients considering how small the sensor and codec are, but given the limited information you get in the file, being able to lock in or select white balance is a must, in my books.
2019-12-11
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

warwickajones@gmail.com Posted at 12-11 03:57
Went flying today at sunset, only to have the white balance drift to a nasty pale colour at the end.

I was able to salvage it in post by boosting the temp with a keyframe, but you can see the image loose a bit of its pizazz.

Hello, is this the place where Lentil as anything restaurant is located?

Tks
2019-12-11
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

emaneg Posted at 12-11 06:52
Hello, is this the place where Lentil as anything restaurant is located?

Tks

That's the one. A favourite with backpackers. And drone pilots, apparently.

If you watch carefully you can see someone flying what looks like a Phantom on the lawn underneath the Jacaranda.
2019-12-11
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

warwickajones@gmail.com Posted at 12-11 15:33
That's the one. A favourite with backpackers. And drone pilots, apparently.

If you watch carefully you can see someone flying what looks like a Phantom on the lawn underneath the Jacaranda.

Thanks! I spotted the droner underneath the jacaranda. I hoped as well spotting some of the Lentil crew ... I was never there, but I'm very familiar with Shanaka, the creator of Lentil restaurant network. It would be fine if you could video record from the sky the restaurant location!
2019-12-12
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Come on DJI - please add WB Lock.  I will buy one if you do. If not,m I will look at the FIMI X8 instead.
2019-12-15
Use props
fans35a5711e
lvl.2
Canada

I came back here hoping for another firmware update before the Holidays, or at least some news on this.

Nothing yet from DJI I see...
2019-12-17
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

COME ON DJI!  For God sake!  So many pros and semi-pros want this drone and you're stopping them because of white balance! I hope Litchi hack in soon.
2019-12-29
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

would be verry welcome
see example
https://youtu.be/qR5AwnUUSu4
2019-12-29
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Studio66 Posted at 2019-12-29 13:26
would be verry welcome
see example
https://youtu.be/qR5AwnUUSu4

Dagnamit!!  Just saw the footage. Nightmare to grade.  You'd have to chop it into 3 bits and crossfade corrected footage in and out of itself.
2020-1-8
Use props
jhamelinjhdproductions.com
lvl.2
Canada

BUMP just so 3 threads about this issue gets on the main page so DJI can finally address this concern.
2020-1-27
Use props
ninogui
lvl.2

Portugal

I have an order at status processing and also am disappointed on this issue, blame myself for not finding out before I pressed enter.
Please make it available !

thank you
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

djiuser_ZdWV5zgNWrfg Posted at 2019-12-4 14:42
Fully agree with you.

In my view what separates the Mini from the Air would be 4K, OA and RAW. These are the functions most pro users will pay premium to have. All other functions that the Spark have should be on the Mini.

I have seen a post that some people that tried the Mini before release had manual control on video mode and not in photo mode and were surprised when it was launched didn't had manual control on video. It's very easy to do a firmware/software update to have manual and WB control on the Mini if DJI wants to do it. I have other DJI products and all are much better now than when I bought them, like having D-Cinelike on the Osmo Pocket and Loop function on the Osmo Action (this a feature that DJI added to compete with GoPro).

If a competitor launches a sub-250gr drone with these function the sales of the Mini will go down and also DJI will lose some of his current customers (like myself). Maybe that's the thing that will make DJI act fast.
2020-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 08:14
In my view what separates the Mini from the Air would be 4K, OA and RAW. These are the functions most pro users will pay premium to have. All other functions that the Spark have should be on the Mini.

I have seen a post that some people that tried the Mini before release had manual control on video mode and not in photo mode and were surprised when it was launched didn't had manual control on video. It's very easy to do a firmware/software update to have manual and WB control on the Mini if DJI wants to do it. I have other DJI products and all are much better now than when I bought them, like having D-Cinelike on the Osmo Pocket and Loop function on the Osmo Action (this a feature that DJI added to compete with GoPro).

I think it has most of the features of the spark it can have, ones missing there is some debate about, like AT with no OA it’s likely we won’t see this, it’s not equipped for gesture control no sensor for this, it has 2.7k which is a lot better than spark 1080p , it can’t have OA as it’s hardware, the spark has a battery that lasts 12/14 minutes, considering I paid twice the price for my spark nearly 3 years ago I think minis value is pretty good .

So it seems unless dji allow AT without OA then mini is pretty much ok.

I think if we were to just get some manual control for camera, this would be perfect.

Incidentally minis 2.7k is much better than airs 4K and I know this because I own this.
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 08:27
I think it has most of the features of the spark it can have, ones missing there is some debate about, like AT with no OA it’s likely we won’t see this, it’s not equipped for gesture control no sensor for this, it has 2.7k which is a lot better than spark 1080p , it can’t have OA as it’s hardware, the spark has a battery that lasts 12/14 minutes, considering I paid twice the price for my spark nearly 3 years ago I think minis value is pretty good .

So it seems unless dji allow AT without OA then mini is pretty much ok.

I wasn't talking about gesture mode that is an irrelevant feature. As far as AT is concerned I had follow me and waypoints on my previous drone (not a DJI, the Mini is the first) and that drone didn't had any OA. These are 2 features that DJI can upgrade the Mini if they want but I understand if they don't.

However, manual and WB control is something that I really don't see any reason why DJI don't add to the Mini. Being the Mini a Spark replacement they should have been included from start.
2020-1-29
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

I gotta chime in here as well, even though I started another thread regarding the Mavic Mini white balance problem ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=207545 ). To have shots ruined by the WB going nuts mid shot is.. Well.. It is incredibly frustrating. At this point I would recommend anyone considering purchasing a Mini to wait for the white balance problem to be resolved.
2020-1-29
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

mauriziob Posted at 2019-12-10 02:06
WB settings and/or WB lock would be fully appreciated.
Not such a big effort for the company, big improvement for the drone.
People won't buy a more expensive DJI drone for the lack of this, they'd rather buy a cheaper one from another company so it's better to add this option.

Exactly this is the point. If I didn't care about weight and size I would have bought a cheaper competetor from another company probably.
But the fact that the Mini has no real competetors so far made my choice obvious.
2020-1-29
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

Mizzu Posted at 1-29 22:55
Exactly this is the point. If I didn't care about weight and size I would have bought a cheaper competetor from another company probably.
But the fact that the Mini has no real competetors so far made my choice obvious.

I totally agree with "If I didn't care about weight and size I would have bought a cheaper competetor from another company probably.".

I decided to go with DJI because I had the assumption the camera would be nice for filming, since even the Spark had white balance adjustments.

It seems completely insane that the Spark did have white balance adjustments, and the Mavic Mini doesn't.
2020-1-31
Use props
Photoman.Pierre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1549544 ft
South Africa

Hi Dji.
Please can you Very urgently update the Mavic Mini software to lock white balance, or provide raw files as I can not do any panoramic photos without the colour shifting from one pic to the next... Worst at sunrise and sunset.... It's pretty useless for photography and video at certain times of the day without this feature.
2020-2-14
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

It absolutely ruins shots when sun goes in and out of the frame. Gives a weird purple hue when the sun is in. WB lock should be added. But I do not think that is a valid reason to return unless you haven't unbox the drone... I mean you should know it does not have WB lock when you buy.
2020-2-15
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

Guorium Posted at 2-15 00:08
It absolutely ruins shots when sun goes in and out of the frame. Gives a weird purple hue when the sun is in. WB lock should be added. But I do not think that is a valid reason to return unless you haven't unbox the drone... I mean you should know it does not have WB lock when you buy.

Well, I knew about WB adjustment not being manual - but I didn't think it would readjust mid shot the way it does.

Since finding out the Spark had manual white balance it seems very strange to me that the Mavic Mini lacks white balance control
2020-2-16
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

krfo_dis Posted at 2-16 12:01
Well, I knew about WB adjustment not being manual - but I didn't think it would readjust mid shot the way it does.

Since finding out the Spark had manual white balance it seems very strange to me that the Mavic Mini lacks white balance control

It is on AUTO WB if not on manual. One feature of AUTO WB is the WB shifts on the fly depending on the light source.
2020-2-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules