Lock White Balance in video!
8248 62 2019-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

Guorium Posted at 2-17 01:52
It is on AUTO WB if not on manual. One feature of AUTO WB is the WB shifts on the fly depending on the light source.

...and that's the problem. Most of the time the initial auto detected white balance is fine, but having it readjust mid shot is what truly ruins shots.

Not having white balance adjustments on Mavic Mini is strange, since the Spark has it.
2020-2-18
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

krfo_dis Posted at 2-18 02:30
...and that's the problem. Most of the time the initial auto detected white balance is fine, but having it readjust mid shot is what truly ruins shots.

Not having white balance adjustments on Mavic Mini is strange, since the Spark has it.

I know it is the problem. My point was that buyers should know that is expected behavior from an autoWB only camera like the mini. They are informed and it is no excuse to refund.

DJI made it to be less technical compared to the lineup on DJI GO 4 app which had quite a lot of options. Specs-wise mini is stronger than spark but the spark was developed on a more professional software platform with the bigger brothers.
2020-2-18
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

Guorium Posted at 2-18 04:15
I know it is the problem. My point was that buyers should know that is expected behavior from an autoWB only camera like the mini. They are informed and it is no excuse to refund.

DJI made it to be less technical compared to the lineup on DJI GO 4 app which had quite a lot of options. Specs-wise mini is stronger than spark but the spark was developed on a more professional software platform with the bigger brothers.

"Specs-wise mini is stronger than spark but the spark was developed on a more professional software platform with the bigger brothers"

Well, I'd say that to any consumer the Spark and Mavic Mini is the same "level". It's a tiny drone from DJI, priced towards the "average joe". None of them are "toy grade", but rather "enthusiast grade".

DJI really should fix the white balance issue for Mavic Mini
2020-2-18
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Guorium Posted at 2-18 04:15
I know it is the problem. My point was that buyers should know that is expected behavior from an autoWB only camera like the mini. They are informed and it is no excuse to refund.

DJI made it to be less technical compared to the lineup on DJI GO 4 app which had quite a lot of options. Specs-wise mini is stronger than spark but the spark was developed on a more professional software platform with the bigger brothers.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I would agree with you if talking about other features, say Active Track. But WB control (or locking at the very least) seems like such a basic function for any camera, no matter how low end, that one could be excused for not realising this feature is missing when reading through the spec list of the drone. It's like buying a car and then realising the doors can't be locked. It's just not something you would think is optional.
Relying on 3rd party reviewers and forum posts to learn about this shouldn't be a requirement for anyone looking to purchase any product. Sure, it's wise to do it, but that's a different matter.
2020-2-18
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I agree with most, White Balance is not some "luxury" upgrade, is basic in any camera dealing with light changes.
4K or Active track maybe, since those appear to be only available in bigger drones with bigger camera sensors, less heat problems and OA sensors too.
Some basic control over the camera in video, + Flat profile  is a must IMO.
2020-2-18
Use props
thbode32
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20994 ft
Germany

It ist simply impertinent to build in an failure like this! Changing WB within one session ruins everything.
I can accept less features but not something stupid.
I hesitate to buy a MM since I still wait and hope that the problem will be solved, - so easy – with a lock. it is not something to hire great engineers for.
2020-2-18
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

For White Balance we need the minimum of being able to lock White Balance if DJI can't/wouldn't provide full White Balance control.
2020-2-18
Use props
djiuser_NGXKA0fTvboE
lvl.1
Sweden

It is now march 1st. Has there been any firmware update adressing the white balance lock? I wanted to buy this cam but to be able and film awb cannot be changing even slightly once I hit record. This is plain bad. Not how awb is intended to work at all.
Not such a good deal after all.
2020-2-29
Use props
jhamelinjhdproductions.com
lvl.2
Canada

Nope! They are not going to fix this. They need an "innovative" new feature for the Mavic Mini 2 next year!
2020-3-2
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I'm here to add my two pence - I will buy it next day when DJI will add full manual settings for video. I absolutely love this little babe but it's a tool for me - I need manual settings for video. WB, ISO, shutter speed.

2020-3-3
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Cmon DJI, already March,give us an update!
2020-3-3
Use props
Photoman.Pierre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1549544 ft
South Africa

totally agree
2020-3-4
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

I remember that they said "late February"...
2020-3-4
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

And why does auto-exposure unlock itself, if you change the EV? Could this also be fixed or changeable via settings?
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Burak C. Posted at 3-4 10:16
I remember that they said "late February"...

Where did you see that? I clearly seen March.
2020-3-4
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 12:30
Where did you see that? I clearly seen March.

I don't remember, somewhere in the forum maybe. If you say so, I might be wrong
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Burak C. Posted at 3-5 11:44
I don't remember, somewhere in the forum maybe. If you say so, I might be wrong

Well February is gone, but my feeling is hopefully by end of March , I think covid19 may not help how quickly we get it so maybe this time we might show some patience .
2020-3-5
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 11:50
Well February is gone, but my feeling is hopefully by end of March , I think covid19 may not help how quickly we get it so maybe this time we might show some patience .

Yes, you are right. Let's hope that that they will publish a full of features and fixes with this update.
2020-3-8
Use props
chris mckee
New

United States

Dji folks, wow this is such a disappointment! Please add a wb lock to the exposure lock. All my video is garbage, and completely unusable for the time and locations I fly. All I can currently do is take pictures.

Please add this feature, that's all this drone needs to be used. Adding the white balance lock wouldn't discourage me from getting a a better drone. The mavic mini is useless in windy conditions, so I'm already saving for the air.
2020-3-15
Use props
Alan Carvalho
New

United States

A few days ago, DJI introduced a firmware update that is suppose to allow for manual white balance.  FYI
2020-3-31
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Alan Carvalho Posted at 3-31 16:00
A few days ago, DJI introduced a firmware update that is suppose to allow for manual white balance.  FYI

it is not a firmware update
2020-3-31
Use props
JimDiGritz
New

United Kingdom

Hi, it's May 2020 and I'm considering buying a Mini however the WB lock issue is stopping me. Has this been addressed in an update?
2020-5-3
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JimDiGritz Posted at 5-3 04:24
Hi, it's May 2020 and I'm considering buying a Mini however the WB lock issue is stopping me. Has this been addressed in an update?

yes, white balance control came in version v01.00.0400 of firmware, full manual control of video came in v01.00.0500
2020-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules