Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini Release Notes (12/4/2019)
23030 201 2019-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 2982907 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-5 02:35
I love the M2P,  but the mini would be useful for traveling to some countries like Turkey where the weight excuses it from being regulated.  If customs check you they would confiscate a M2P in turkey but not the Mini.

yeah, why even travel?
2019-12-5
Use props
djiuser_f4JdiPcZedMC
New

Netherlands

RBI Posted at 12-3 23:07
Why should a $ 400 drone be able to do the same as a $ 1000 drone?

Because it is a simply function of stitching images together.
2019-12-5
Use props
jsangil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1055735 ft
Spain

The aircraft orientation control is malfunctioning after this update, always show a 90 degree offset. I calibrate compass, imu and clean refresh of the firmware from dji assitant and continue to fail.

Please fix it, it is an essential tool for many of us.
2019-12-5
Use props
djicheaha
First Officer
Flight distance : 2076076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you DJI. No problems updating. Will test flight this afternoon.
2019-12-5
Use props
camnc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300837 ft
United States

Just got a chance to fly with the new firmware! I feel like it handles high wind a bit better now AND those annoying power status alerts are gone! I still hope that we will get more camera settings and features in another update pretty soon, but this is still a welcome one.
2019-12-5
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

The spark does panorama.. That’s cheaper than the Mini
2019-12-5
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

ulfw Posted at 12-3 22:21
No Panorama is seriously disappointing

That would be an app update, not firmware.   I”m hoping for it too.  (as well as Active Track).  Hope they do it.
2019-12-5
Use props
Cdpils
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24948 ft
Germany

Nice update, but now it is time to add the missing features, e.g. ActiveTrack
2019-12-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1397858 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-5 03:45
yeah, why even travel?

Well you have to collect the little flags in the DJI Go app don't you.
2019-12-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 2982907 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 01:42
Well you have to collect the little flags in the DJI Go app don't you.

If that becomes an app in the future where the more people fly the more coupons and money they collect, it could make the airspace very dangerous.  Imagine racing someone to a flag that is worth a lot of points in the same spot.  Not even noticing you cannot see each other.
2019-12-6
Use props
00Schulz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97096 ft
Brazil

ulfw Posted at 12-3 22:21
No Panorama is seriously disappointing

You can take it manually.
2019-12-6
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

00Schulz Posted at 12-6 03:45
You can take it manually.

you can also put a dslr on a stick and avoid using anything that flies.

super resolution mode in mavic 2 zoom is extremely convenient to use as it takes those shots fast enough for background objects not to move a lot, it would be very nice to have - obviously, without zooming in, but the basic 3x3 matrix of 9 shots for panoramas is really all what is needed, so it would sit on a single shutter button press action.  there is no good excuse of not having it as it takes no effort and needs no new resources on the drone.
2019-12-6
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.3
United States

jsangil Posted at 12-5 08:24
The aircraft orientation control is malfunctioning after this update, always show a 90 degree offset. I calibrate compass, imu and clean refresh of the firmware from dji assitant and continue to fail.

Please fix it, it is an essential tool for many of us.

what do you mean - is it a map that is not rotated in the same way as a drone? android or iphone? they had a bug like that before, on android version of go4 app.
2019-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1397858 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-6 03:09
If that becomes an app in the future where the more people fly the more coupons and money they collect, it could make the airspace very dangerous.  Imagine racing someone to a flag that is worth a lot of points in the same spot.  Not even noticing you cannot see each other.

I think that's why they are adding ADS-B to all new drones next year.
2019-12-6
Use props
Cenk Birge
lvl.2

Turkey

I preordered the drone in Turkey. I think By the time I have my drone in my hands, there will be 8th or 9th update available on the market
2019-12-6
Use props
dtonn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8921 ft
United States

DJI Fly App 1.0.3 Drone Position feature is not working. The Map view seems to work, but the drone position/orientation view does not show correct drone position or orientation.
2019-12-6
Use props
Shantok
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822116 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because we should expect progress. Everything gets better cheaper and faster. Same way the Mavic Air had more than the Mavic Pro. More sensor and modes. Its limited already by it's sensor should not be limited by the software. Of course it won't be on par with the output of the Mavic 2 Pro. The next Mavic 3 or Air 2 will be better and should offer even more. Especially seeing some of what people are asking were on the Spark.
2019-12-6
Use props
oldhasbeen
Second Officer
Australia

live orientation display shows drone wrong by 90 degrees in 1.03.
Rolling back to 1.02 does not fix it - i guess the controller would need to be rolled back too.
Please fix.
2019-12-6
Use props
jsangil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1055735 ft
Spain

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-6 05:57
what do you mean - is it a map that is not rotated in the same way as a drone? android or iphone? they had a bug like that before, on android version of go4 app.

No, i refer to the orientation tool in middle bottom off the app screen. I running the latest dji fly version on iphone xs updated. I read more people with same problem.

Sorry for my bad english. Best regards.
2019-12-6
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

DingDong101 Posted at 12-4 01:52
Hopefully the drifting when flying indoors is fixed. Can't wait to get home and test it.

Mine had never been flown before, and I updated the firmware before initially flying it last night.  It did seem to drift at times.  At one point, it drifted far enough that when I looked up from watching the controller (phone) display I could no longer find the drone (I was wearing earmuffs due to the loud mechanical noise in the area I was filming, so I had no good audio cues to track it).

The drone had drifted perhaps ten feet from where I'd had it "parked", and when I couldn't find it, I had a momentary panic thinking it had crashed into the water filter I was filming, and gotten sucked under!  It turned out to be hovering over near a wall, and when I made a control movement, it immediately crashed into that wall and tumbled to the grating about ten feet below it.  Fortunately, not falling into the water.

Thank goodness for the prop guards!

The thing is, the area where I was flying it at the time would very likely prove highly challenging to any optical system.  The filters have gently moving water in them, and the floor is a grating that you can see through down to the next floor down where the bottoms of the filters are.  That grating pattern would seriously confuse any pattern recognition that I can imagine being used to hold position (indoors, with no GPS available).

So I still rate the unit as amazing for "station keeping" performance indoors.  But I'll keep a closer eye on it when filming indoors in the future!
2019-12-6
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

the1shark Posted at 12-4 00:17
* Increased flight stability in some scenarios. * Optimized propulsion system status prompts.

Let's hope no more 30168 aka "Max power load reached" you are domed messages ..

It does not.  I flew mine last night indoors, and got that error several times when simply hovering or moving straight forward at a slow walking speed.

However, I am at about 5150 feet of elevation here.  And while this is the newest firmware, I cannot be sure if I have the updated prop blades redesigned to handle higher elevations better.  Also, I had the prop guards in place, and that obviously puts a greater load on the motors as they struggle to hold up that extra mass.

I'd like to have a way to know if I have the new or old style blades.
2019-12-6
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

Mudassar Posted at 12-4 03:25
Hi, I am a Mechanical engineer by profession . So believe me when a mechanical part create i noise there is some problem ... my most guess is that its mechanical problem not software but who knows may be there is some issue in the programming and some current variations might be causing motors to create this sound

I'm an electronics geek, and something to consider is that if a motor or servo is being driven by a PID loop (or other closed-loop feedback system), and that loop is not optimized, it can easily oscillate.  That oscillation of the control loop can cause the motor or servo to "jitter", causing audible noise due to the rapid mechanical movements the motor or servo are being "commanded" to make.

So I can imagine a software update curing this sort of thing.

Tuning a control loop can be non-trivial, and if a lubricant becomes more viscous, or parts contract and rub in cold conditions, this could apply a greater load on the mechanical system that the control loop was not "tuned" for.  Clever adjustment of the loop parameters or setting the system to detect this condition and switch to low-temperature parameters, etc., could all be ways to cure what seems like a mechanical problem, but which is really a control system issue.

You PID loop tuners out there know what I mean!  

Edit to add:  CYLSTUDIO sort of beat me to this.

2019-12-6
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 2584869 ft
  • >>>
United States

i think the section is called What's New and not Here's Everything we fixed in detail.  Personally I wouldnt tell the customer all about every single fix I made; then you would think I launched beta.   The section is a quick overview for the ordinary layperson flyer, just enough to encourage you to take the upgrade.  Details could be provide in a place like this forum....but still, not everything because after all, the competitor is watching.
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_jK2eHfkXX3fu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151243 ft
Croatia

Shrex Posted at 12-4 13:04
Has anyone noticed their mini drifting around a bit more now when it should be hovering still after doing this update? Mine now seems to hover ok one minute, but then starts to drift off in random directions, which is odd I've not seen this happen before, also it seems more twitchy when hovering indoors. I thought I'd ask as I thought it hovered more stable before, but could just be me imagining this.

Yes. Indoors especially more nervous.
2019-12-7
Use props
fans49185d43
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103573 ft
Malta

ARTPiranha Posted at 12-4 04:35
Cmon, noise from motors is not mechanical, it is lill bit incorrect PID settings, so it is easily fixable by firmwhare

I must say that this firmware created issues for me no experienced before (i.e. remote control incorrect display of charge left. imu altitude error even after calibrating imu, it seems takes longer to find satellites and RC lost connection just a couple of meters away and did return to home....
2019-12-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

camnc Posted at 12-5 10:39
Just got a chance to fly with the new firmware! I feel like it handles high wind a bit better now AND those annoying power status alerts are gone! I still hope that we will get more camera settings and features in another update pretty soon, but this is still a welcome one.

+1.  Wholeheartedly agree.
2019-12-7
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.3
United States

dtonn Posted at 12-6 10:08
DJI Fly App 1.0.3 Drone Position feature is not working. The Map view seems to work, but the drone position/orientation view does not show correct drone position or orientation.

odd, i just flew it yesterday specifically to see how it works. it was definitely showing bird correctly on the map, only map was locked - not rotating to show drone flying away from me in the map - but it was a minor thing, at least for me. it is a whatever current iphone version is. i will check again the orientation tool itself, i may only looked at the arrow of the drone on the map, which was correctly rotated.
2019-12-7
Use props
TheRyanRanch
lvl.1
United States

Where's my MAV MINI ???? fake shipments are nonsense and bad business practice to fulfill orders !!!!!!
2019-12-7
Use props
fracz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 738127 ft
Poland

Waiting for active track, too!
2019-12-7
Use props
chokichoki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125472 ft
Brunei

MiniChris Posted at 12-4 04:20
Yesterday PRE update I had LOADS of max power messages even flying in P mode. Today I thrashed it around solidly for 10mins in S and didnt get a single warning. This was full stick up and out. I thought at any minute it was just going to drop from the sky but it stayed steady.

Fingers crossed this firmware has fixed a few things! I need to check the 90deg down gimbal kick issue as i forgot to do that earlier

Hi Chris

I have the same 90deg gimbal issue and posted a thread about it.

The latest firmware did not fix mine.

Did it fix yours?
2019-12-8
Use props
chokichoki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125472 ft
Brunei

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-4 09:39
the gimbal upward 'kick' issue is still there, btw - seems to be driven by something else than just pids.

Same here with regards to the kick issue

I have a thread with a vid on it
2019-12-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

The gimbal does need some further fine tuning.
Regarding panoramas, I actually dont need the mini to stitch the images for me, that is much better done with other software, but the automated sequence would be great to do it as fast as possible.
Even adding AEB seems more useful than only panorama.
2019-12-9
Use props
Maver32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41122 ft
United States

I agree with others on the comparison of the Mini to the Spark.  Yes the Mini is priced at the lower end of DJI's offerings so we should never expect it to have everything a Mavic 2 will have.  BUT, there is no reason the Mini shouldn't have at least all the offerings that the Spark had/has.  Mini needs to add the self unlocking feature which I believe they've said they will address at the end of December.  What I think is a must add, is the manual control of video settings, and adding White Balance control to both Video and Photo mode.  Would I love to see the ability to shoot RAW photos?  Absolutely, but when your only option is JPEG, getting the white balance correct is so much more important.  Similar with video, highly doubt we'll get any LOG mode which is fine, but we really need the ability to set White Balance.  Now DJI has been pretty good about firmware updates in the past, so I am still hopefully for a big update in December to fix these issues.
2019-12-10
Use props
Kiwimandan
New

New Zealand

Active Track Pleeeaaassseeeee
2019-12-11
Use props
bluefalcon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114275 ft
Italy

We're are old client of DJI but seriously disappointed with the new mavic mini features and DJI politics.
We were considering buying 6 for our journalists in the field but the lack of RAW files, AEB and manual video settings made us change our minds.
It's just a few lines of software ... no expensive hardware changes....I don't understand....
We hope for the next firmware release

Have a good day
2019-12-12
Use props
BiancaMitford
lvl.1

Germany

Yeah it`s cool, go here https://translate.google.com/
2019-12-12
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

So Flew the Mini outside a few days ago and not sure about the New update. No wind at base where i was hovering 4 feet off the ground. The mini wobbled back and forth a little, enough that it was visible in the video playback and the gimbal did not remove the effect. I was flying in high elevation. The orientation Icon was 90 degrees off when the mini was in front of me at a hover and when it was directly above me. However, once i moved the mini away from me the orientation icon became accurate. The aircraft did seam more stable higher up and I had no more issues. I will be posting the video in another day or so.
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

the1shark Posted at 12-4 00:17
* Increased flight stability in some scenarios. * Optimized propulsion system status prompts.

Let's hope no more 30168 aka "Max power load reached" you are domed messages ..

Seems like it is gone.  Do get a few "sensor error" messages now.
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
Second Officer
United States

JeyTea Posted at 12-4 01:04
They say in the Log "optimized gimbal controll," i hope they mean the fix of the freaking gimbal noise and the jittering in cold conditions.

Anyone test it allready?

I've flown it mostly in fairly cold weather (but not below freezing.  Never had the problem.  Of course I do get "gimbal stuck" every one in a while - it always seems to happen when I forget to remove the gimble protector (lens cap).
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-4 03:51
Great news with the new firmware. As far as more detailed changelog, I agree, but I know from reading these forums what I need to know of the before and after on this changelog. Each and everyone of these points are a result of someone on this forum posting about an issue they had with their Mavic Mini. But it would make it more convenient if it was more detailed. The unlock for the blue zones, doesn't look like it made it in this update. They've said late December and I honestly don't look for it till then. The gimbal noise, I don't have that issue, but some folks on here do. This can be caused by firmware/software. It can also be a hardware issue just as likely. Only way to tell is to update and see. As far as fixing an issue with cold, not saying it couldn't be possible, but I'd have to see it, but I'm hopeful it fixes those issues for those suffering with it. The only issue I have seen is the "Max power load reached" but I've only seen it once. I haven't been able to reproduce it since. But in any case, I hope it fixes a lot of issues folks are seeing.

Very good and positive outlook.  Thanks!
2019-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules