13735 194 2019-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans696dc1fa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146060 ft
  • >>>
United States

The latest firmware will brick your inserted battery, causing it to get an cell battery error.

See other forum post for details.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never install updates untill they have been a bout a while. And once you have your drone doing what you want to do. Never install any other updates unless you want some particular Feature
2019-12-4
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

But you know, that the DJI Fly app won't let you start without having the new firmware?
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 12-4 00:21
But you know, that the DJI Fly app won't let you start without having the new firmware?

Not true. All you need to do is Turn your phone or tablet  to Airplane mode (which is a good idea anyway) and it does not know that there is any new firmware available.... How would it it is not connected to the internet.

Further the Drone code in the Uk specifically states that you should not alter the software in the drone. Who would be doing that if not you when you click on accept

You have to think outside that old box
2019-12-4
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

UweE Posted at 12-4 00:21

It is ok. I just went for a flight. Prompt me about the update but I can takeoff without doing anything special. This isn’t the first update on 11 Nov which demanded update before takeoff.
2019-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 00:09
Never install updates untill they have been a bout a while. And once you have your drone doing what you want to do. Never install any other updates unless you want some particular Feature

Sadly in the UK the CAA rules make it clear that the firmware should always be up to date -

Check any built-in software is up to date

The built-in software (called firmware) controls important navigation and flying controls. Depending on the type of drone or model aircraft you have, this could include:

the latest information on flight restriction zones and other airspace restrictions – so that your drone knows to avoid them
how your drone uses its power
how your drone knows its position
how your drone lands if there’s a problem
Keeping this software up to date will also help to protect against cyber attacks.

Follow the instructions to update the built-in software (firmware). Always check that the software has updated correctly before going flying.

https://register-drones.caa.co.u ... g-every-flight-safe
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-4 00:48
Sadly in the UK the CAA rules make it clear that the firmware should always be up to date -

Check any built-in software is up to date

The Drone laws also say that you should not interfere or alter the software in your drone.

If you install updates and you click ok to install it is you altering the software and you are not allowed to do that. I rather think someone who drafted the rules could have done better

On the updating it also says Check. !!!!!!

2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There you go :

Geo-awareness software

Your drone or model aircraft may include software designed to help you avoid flying in certain restricted areas.
You should not alter or disable this software if your drone or model aircraft has it.

If you install an update I put it to you Mylud that you have altered the software.

Also I think they used the word Check because I think it is fundemental that they cannot compell you to do updates to anything you own... Think about it

Also how do you know who is offering you the update could be any old hacker or rouge Chinese James Bond Type working for DJI or are DJI Part of the great Chinese Conspiracy like Huawei
2019-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 00:53
The Drone laws also say that you should not interfere or alter the software in your drone.

If you install updates and you click ok to install it is you altering the software and you are not allowed to do that. I rather think someone who drafted the rules could have done better

Alter refers to doing something that the manufacture does not intend you to do.  Its exactly the same with a car,  the manufacturer expects its updates to be installed either OTA or when visiting a dealership, but they don't warrant the car if you change the software from a third party.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-4 01:07
Alter refers to doing something that the manufacture does not intend you to do.  Its exactly the same with a car,  the manufacturer expects its updates to be installed either OTA or when visiting a dealership, but they don't warrant the car if you change the software from a third party.

I am afraid that has nowt to do with it. Warranty etc is one thing it is what you are required to do and you are not required to update.

You must Check
and
You must not alter

Your first post said it was clear it certainly is not.

So interpret it the way you see best for you but remember updating usually brings more hurt than joy which was the jist of the OP
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definition or Alter

change in character or composition, typically in a comparatively small but significant way

Don't see your definition anywhere in that.

Push back my friend dont cow down.............. The Drone laws are redicolous so interpret them to your benefit not the opposite.

There was never a Drone at Gatwick by the way... Did you ever see real evidence.... It was a big coverup for summit else
2019-12-4
Use props
Ramacher
lvl.2

United States

I updated the firmware and don't have any issues.
2019-12-4
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Which other forum posting ? Where ? Has somebody a bricked battery 100% caused by the firmware update ? I doubt.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ramacher Posted at 12-4 01:25
I updated the firmware and don't have any issues.

So you are the Traiter……. Trump will get you..... Helping the Chinese to squash your country. They may be small but they are clever and there are a few of them. Imagine firmware added on the day of judgement and all the Drones in the US atacking the whitehouse like a massive swarm.   Would make a good film....... Or could it be reality

That would certainly mess up old trumps wig
2019-12-4
Use props
Shimmers81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2856873 ft
Malaysia

fake news? updated mine but doesnt seems any batt error nor abnormal behavier.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shimmers81 Posted at 12-4 01:32

Fake News

Never surely that don't exist in this modern media mental world
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shimmers81 Posted at 12-4 01:32

Out of interest was all working well before you did the update... If so it wasn't broke so why did you fix it ?
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just spent about 1.5 hours un bollexing my computer after sodding Microsoft installed an update that I did not want and did not ask for...….. Or was it Microsoft...….. How would I know
2019-12-4
Use props
shaab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149518 ft
Germany

I also installed the update before reading this.
No problems so far visible preflight. I had the latest firmware on the batteries before the update.
2019-12-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I updated 10 mins ago and i got no problems
2019-12-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

shaab Posted at 12-4 01:42
I also installed the update before reading this.
No problems so far visible preflight. I had the latest firmware on the batteries before the update.

same here , same Fw for batteries
2019-12-4
Use props
mortensl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

I updated and i got no problems
2019-12-4
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I may be wrong here but I don't think not updating OR altering the firmware is illegal as long as you fly within the law. You can not simply rely on manufacturers updates on, for example NFZ's anyway. Almost always temporary NFZ's will not be implemented. Most drones, original firmware or not will likely let you break the law one way or another if you are intent to do so.

I havent seen or heard any specifics that for example using NLD's hack is illegal (until you break the law).

After all there are are plenty of products out there that do not have GPS etc.

Whether DJI do want you to do any of the above ... different matter.
2019-12-4
Use props
djiuser_mFlKnbqPWr1m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46207 ft
Australia

Just did an update and no problem with battery.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

My mavic mini came with the latest firmware installed. No issues. And as far as altering the firmware, call it what you want to suit your own needs, but updated firmware/software from the manufacturer is not altering.
2019-12-4
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

Only the ones marked as enemies of the state will get a fried battery when doing this update
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cap0ne Posted at 12-4 02:36
Only the ones marked as enemies of the state will get a fried battery when doing this update

LOL, good one!!!
2019-12-4
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

*In a crack den* - "I'll have what he's having"
2019-12-4
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I updated and the firmware and test flew. No problems at all
2019-12-4
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 12-4 01:27
Which other forum posting ? Where ? Has somebody a bricked battery 100% caused by the firmware update ? I doubt.

FW .002 killed my battery. Weary of doing this one now.
2019-12-4
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

No issue here, firmware updated, no battery issue.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-4 02:33
My mavic mini came with the latest firmware installed. No issues. And as far as altering the firmware, call it what you want to suit your own needs, but updated firmware/software from the manufacturer is not altering.

No altering my arse !.

Of course it is you start with one thing in the drone then you download something that changes or alters that firmware.

That sir is the very definition of altering
2019-12-4
Use props
Sys_Admin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1094311 ft
United Kingdom

Zero issues after today's update.
2019-12-4
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 04:20
No altering my arse !.

Of course it is you start with one thing in the drone then you download something that changes or alters that firmware.

In an unprobable case - being put in front of the law - noone is going to misinterpret official recommended SW updates as altering of "intendend" FW/SW/behaviour.

Using an unofficial tool to change drone's constants out of their intended range is altering... (Max velocity, max angle and so on...)
2019-12-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry to hear the trouble with the battery, may we have a screenshot of the error code?
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What other posts, please post links !!!
2019-12-4
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I also just did the firmware update before reading this (and I must say, my heart sank when I read the title) but no issues so far. I didn't fly the drone after the update but it's powering up, connecting to the remote, showing no errors so i guess the battery is fine.
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Don’t listen to the naysayers, if no one updated HOW WOULD WE KNOW ? , I have never failed to update FW and have done many more than I care to remember, all but one FW improved and enhanced my flying experience, if you look at something like this logically, dji engineers SW/FW spend time on these to improve your craft also to iron out any problems, the intention is always good and 99% of the time that’s how it works, if you are convinced you are in this 1% of users don’t update but don’t advise others in a manner that the sky has fallen in, particularly with Mavic Mini a lot if not most are newbies, give them correct information, not the usual crap that if they update their craft is doomed.

2019-12-4
Use props
Buffalosoldier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3 ft
Ireland

Update installed earlier today without any problems..
2019-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-4 02:33

thanks JodyB.  Exactly my point.
2019-12-4
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules