Do not update latest firmware
13731 194 2019-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Nothing wrong with warning owners about a possible PIA problem resulting from updating firmware for minor improvements to their currently working drone.

2019-12-5
Use props
6arret
lvl.2
Canada

Updated mine last night no issues
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

6arret Posted at 12-5 07:26
Updated mine last night no issues

Here is to hoping DJI saw the reported problems, and made some change to firmware to end the problem.  Going from 99% to 99.999%.
2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans696dc1fa Posted at 12-4 13:47
Spoke to tech support this issue, he said they had a few users that were reporting this and that they are replacing the battery under warranty, so about a 5 to 7 day turn around after receiving battery. Asked if it was caused by firmware update but he really didn’t know or wasn’t going to say. Luckily I have the fly more combo so I have two other batteries until the replacement comes back.

What you posted was completely wrong and not pertaining to this FW, in fact the thread you highlighted goes back to beginning of November and problem was regarding a new Mavic mini with absolute no proof  that FW caused problem with battery.

There is absolutely no indication that this FW has pushed any problems on users batteries none or was there any problem with first out of the box FW.

There were a couple I know who purchased combo and had problem with a dead battery but again nothing to do with FW .

Might be no harm editing your header .
2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SafariMan Posted at 12-5 07:06
« The latest firmware will brick your inserted battery, causing it to get an cell battery error. « Fake News

Your right Fake News, but some around revel in Fake news, nothing like causing consternation for some lol.
2019-12-5
Use props
Smark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

No issues here after the latest firmware update.
2019-12-5
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Flew today 7.5 km with 1 battery. Feels like even more stable then before. Also range was further ( even with trees in the front) then before. no issues so far
2019-12-5
Use props
MXss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I I updated mine last night and everything went well no issues or anything with the update and I was also able to power it on and look at the firmware and check to make sure that it was at the 300 but now the next day my remote control doesn't turn on or show me the battery levels. It can still charge but won't turn on.........seriously?? I have flown this drone about 2 dozen times with no major issues but after the update, the rc is broken. Can anyone help?
2019-12-5
Use props
MXss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I was able to update without issues to the newest firmware and was able to verify it afterwards on the aircraft and RC but now the next day my remote control won't turn on anymore and the indicator doesn't work but when you plug in the power cord it still charges the remote control so it just won't turn on or show me the battery status and I'm not sure why. Anyone else????
2019-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-5 04:27
There's a lot of opinion pushing around here and I personally don't think that is what the purpose of these forums are. My personal opinion of the politics or legal system currently or futuristically does not have a place here. It's my opinion. No one asked for it and I'm not about to try and shove it down anyone's throat. The subject of this thread was and still is "Don't update latest firmware" in which the OP stated that the reason was because it caused his battery to die. I think with all that other stuff, it's going off topic and we should at least be adult enough to stay on the topic. We can do without the personal opinions and let everyone make up their own minds without the manipulation.

Nope don't agree with that it is off topic
2019-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crummett Posted at 12-5 04:38
With that mentality though, you'd never buy a new TV if it didn't break.  You'd be sat watching low quality footage rather than enjoying 4K.

Nooooooooooooo Buy the 4K Tv andif it works ok leave as it is.

As for 4K it aint worth a penny HD is fine... That applies to TV's as well as drones
2019-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-5 04:46
Yeah that’s like saying if you can make something better DONT, it’s very clear and always has been 99% of all users who update their experience is enhanced , so I’m certain most can make up their own mind.

I see you have an Osmo pocket, I think to date 9/10 updates all of which have brought great improvements, but you won’t have noticed this because it was pretty much not broke after 3rd update and to update you would only have broke what you had for much better improvements.

It does all I want thanks...…… Keep yours up to date or the OCD will have you
2019-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just updated MM  and now my TV wont work
2019-12-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Updated yesterday using the app, no issues.
2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-5 09:11
It does all I want thanks...…… Keep yours up to date or the OCD will have you

I suppose if your happy with your lot, you don’t want to confuse yourself .
2019-12-5
Use props
SafariMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 12-5 10:02
I suppose if your happy with your lot, you don’t want to confuse yourself .

That’s also what my wife says
2019-12-5
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-5 09:09
Nooooooooooooo Buy the 4K Tv andif it works ok leave as it is.

As for 4K it aint worth a penny HD is fine... That applies to TV's as well as drones
If you can't see the difference on a 65" TV you need glasses.

As to 'leave as is' ... sure if you dont mind missing out on important upgrades on $2.5k set such as G-Sync on LG's C9 (and now B9) OLED's.  - Upgrades to dithering algorythm to prevent black crush. Panasonics continuing improvements to their high end OLED processors etc etc.

Dont update at your will. You are paying for ongoing support and updates.

Do you have to do it immediately?

No. Wait a month or two and hick-ups will likely have been solved.

Don't update at all? Silly unless you have a specific reason such as DJI's recently introduced anti rollback codes which make it impossible to install NLD's software, at least for the moment. For the rest, my advise be to update.
2019-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 12-5 10:08
If you can't see the difference on a 65" TV you need glasses.

As to 'leave as is' ... sure if you dont mind missing out on important upgrades on $2.5k set such as G-Sync on LG's C9 (and now B9) OLED's.  - Upgrades to dithering algorythm to prevent black crush. Panasonics continuing improvements to their high end OLED processors etc etc.

What sort of a twit would spend £2.5K on a TV. You can get a 55 Inch one now for £299. Oh I know a I have got to have the best TV and I think the more I spend the Better it will be sort of person.......... Do I get a Mug with that, No you already have one

An optician once told me that no one has 4K eyes that sort of speaks volumes
2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-5 10:55
What sort of a twit would spend £2.5K on a TV. You can get a 55 Inch one now for £299. Oh I know a I have got to have the best TV and I think the more I spend the Better it will be sort of person.......... Do I get a Mug with that, No you already have one

An optician once told me that no one has 4K eyes that sort of speaks volumes

Did the optician tell you we all have 1080p eyes LMAO .......
2019-12-5
Use props
MegaTesla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224 ft
South Africa

I just came back from my friend's place. His drone has been fine the past two weeks. No issues whatsoever. Then yesterday he updated and today when we wanted to fly his Mavic Mini for the first time after the update it took us almost 30 minutes to get it in the air.

Heading indication was wrong on the app, so we did a compass calibration. It kept on showing the wrong heading and we did multiple compass calibrations. It almost seemed to be 180 degrees off after each calibration. We walked to different areas and the same happened. After about the 10th attempt it seemed okay, but then it wouldn't take off. No warnings or errors, it just wouldn't arm and take off. And the heading was slow to update when moving the Mavic mini around.

Only after walking around with it and moving it 360 degrees a lot did the heading seem to be more responsive. And then it armed okay and took off without issues. And it flew fantastic! Very stable with perfect gimbal and video etc.

So all the bugs have definitely not been taken care of yet....

A bit boring, but shows that the Mini didn't want to arm or take off:
2019-12-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

MegaTesla Posted at 12-5 11:53
I just came back from my friend's place. His drone has been fine the past two weeks. No issues whatsoever. Then yesterday he updated and today when we wanted to fly his Mavic Mini for the first time after the update it took us almost 30 minutes to get it in the air.

Heading indication was wrong on the app, so we did a compass calibration. It kept on showing the wrong heading and we did multiple compass calibrations. It almost seemed to be 180 degrees off after each calibration. We walked to different areas and the same happened. After about the 10th attempt it seemed okay, but then it wouldn't take off. No warnings or errors, it just wouldn't arm and take off. And the heading was slow to update when moving the Mavic mini around.

That's odd.
I had no issue flying mine yesterday after update, however I ve been noticing the compass off all the time since the day I got it. Yesterday it asked me for a compass calibration, I did it and standing behind the drone it looked the arrow indicator to be correct, but once I was flying and changed my body position it went off also showing the drone was behind me which it wasnt... quite puzzled with this behaviour.
2019-12-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-5 09:08
Nope don't agree with that it is off topic

and the wayward wind blown kite speaks again. What with TV's and such, yeah that's on point. Not.
2019-12-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-5 12:18
That's odd.
I had no issue flying mine yesterday after update, however I ve been noticing the compass off all the time since the day I got it. Yesterday it asked me for a compass calibration, I did it and standing behind the drone it looked the arrow indicator to be correct, but once I was flying and changed my body position it went off also showing the drone was behind me which it wasnt... quite puzzled with this behaviour.

Seems like I read another post about the compass heading being off. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mine. I'll pay closer attention to it next flight though.
2019-12-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-5 12:46
Seems like I read another post about the compass heading being off. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mine. I'll pay closer attention to it next flight though.

Same happened to me, I never really paid attention since I was 95% of time VLOS, the little MAP works ok though, seems this compass could be an issue of the tablet or phone in use, cause it is dependent on the phone's internal compass and GPS.
2019-12-5
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Just curious, question for you guys also flying other DJI drones. Does this compass reading (drone relative to RC) work fine in the GO4 app? I haven't really paid much attention to the heading indicator in the bottom center of the screen (to be fair I usually don't even have it no because it goes away when having the map in the lower left) because I never saw the compass extra reliable on any other apps. The few times I tried the compass feature on my phones (e.g. in maps apps) it was always a bit off. I don't know how the DJI app could show a reliable heading relative to the drone if it can't get an accurate reading from the phone.
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MegaTesla Posted at 12-5 11:53

Heading indication was wrong on the app, so we did a compass calibration. It kept on showing the wrong heading and we did multiple compass calibrations. It almost seemed to be 180 degrees off after each calibration. We walked to different areas and the same happened. After about the 10th attempt it seemed okay, but then it wouldn't take off. No warnings or errors, it just wouldn't arm and take off. And the heading was slow to update when moving the Mavic mini around.

You must not be in the 99% fortunate group, who never have firmware update problems, we keep being lectured about by a DJI fanboy...

Not that only 1% having firmware update problems is insignificant.

2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 12-5 12:57
Just curious, question for you guys also flying other DJI drones. Does this compass reading (drone relative to RC) work fine in the GO4 app? I haven't really paid much attention to the heading indicator in the bottom center of the screen (to be fair I usually don't even have it no because it goes away when having the map in the lower left) because I never saw the compass extra reliable on any other apps. The few times I tried the compass feature on my phones (e.g. in maps apps) it was always a bit off. I don't know how the DJI app could show a reliable heading relative to the drone if it can't get an accurate reading from the phone.

Not always, it depends on how your phone is calibrated , if you want to check just turn craft on if compass arrow on app is facing wrong way just pick craft up turn it to the right 45 degrees if the compass arrow moves 45 degrees right then move craft back to first heading if compass arrow moves in sync then your compass is fine. To make sure you have good compass good IMU and good gps follow routine below .

1/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

2/if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

3/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, and aircraft attitude looks fine, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

*DM* Posted at 12-5 10:08
If you can't see the difference on a 65" TV you need glasses.

As to 'leave as is' ... sure if you dont mind missing out on important upgrades on $2.5k set such as G-Sync on LG's C9 (and now B9) OLED's.  - Upgrades to dithering algorythm to prevent black crush. Panasonics continuing improvements to their high end OLED processors etc etc.

"Silly unless you have a specific reason such as DJI's recently introduced anti rollback codes"

Probably the best reason of all not to be Alpha or Beta tester for latest release of firmware.  

Especially when coupled to question: What does latest firmware bring, that I really want?  Keeping in mind, drone with current (or previous) firmware was good enough you bought it.

2019-12-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-5 12:50
Same happened to me, I never really paid attention since I was 95% of time VLOS, the little MAP works ok though, seems this compass could be an issue of the tablet or phone in use, cause it is dependent on the phone's internal compass and GPS.

I've checked out my phone's compass app and it seems pretty accurate. I don't know how that transfers from phone to fly app as far as accuracy though but I'll for sure pay attention to that next flight.
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-5 12:57
Just curious, question for you guys also flying other DJI drones. Does this compass reading (drone relative to RC) work fine in the GO4 app? I haven't really paid much attention to the heading indicator in the bottom center of the screen (to be fair I usually don't even have it no because it goes away when having the map in the lower left) because I never saw the compass extra reliable on any other apps. The few times I tried the compass feature on my phones (e.g. in maps apps) it was always a bit off. I don't know how the DJI app could show a reliable heading relative to the drone if it can't get an accurate reading from the phone.

It's good enough to SWAG your way back to you.  

Say you drone is directly North of you.  You want to come back, flying back South as indicated may or may not have drone on direct course to you.  
Still, as drone comes back, say drone's heading is slight off to S.E. or S.W., you can update return flight heading to compensate for any minor directional errors; as drone gets closer.  
2019-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I read and see the forum troll is troll baiting again, what many won’t realize is he trolls all threads debating new FW, using the same clap trap, and to make matters worse he doesn’t own any of the crafts that he so freely comments on, his only job on this forum is to try garner support particularly from newbies by way of scaremongering about FW updates.

Many who are aware of him will vouch he doesn’t fly himself, I think because he can’t or maybe lost his craft to a crash, you will notice him all over the forum complaining about dji trying to whip up problems where there are none.
He has trashed so many threads on this forum , particularly those threads on this forum where he doesn’t even have a craft, as you will see on this thread although ignored by almost everyone he continues to try peddle that their is something wrong with your Mavic mini, he doesn’t own one , he knows absolutely nothing about them, but his main agenda is to try to cause confusion for users who actually own a mini . And if he can’t do that he will GO TO ANY LENGTHS TO TRASH THIS THREAD. HEDGETRIMMER IS A BIGOT AND HE WONT STOP UNTIL HE TRASHES THIS THREAD.
2019-12-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-5 13:15
I've checked out my phone's compass app and it seems pretty accurate. I don't know how that transfers from phone to fly app as far as accuracy though but I'll for sure pay attention to that next flight.

I also checked the compass in my phone and its perfect, have to make more tests, but not relying on it is kind of a good thing, VLOS, and the map works so, more testing but no worries.
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-5 13:40
I read and see the forum troll is troll baiting again, what many won’t realize is he trolls all threads debating new FW, using the same clap trap, and to make matters worse he doesn’t own any of the crafts that he so freely comments on, his only job on this forum is to try garner support particularly from newbies by way of scaremongering about FW updates.

Many who are aware of him will vouch he doesn’t fly himself, I think because he can’t or maybe lost his craft to a crash, you will notice him all over the forum complaining about dji trying to whip up problems where there are none.

Here you go DJI Forum Moderators

hallmark007 once again Trolling to start trouble using personal Insults

hallmark007_Trolling-with-Insults

hallmark007_Trolling-with-Insults

2019-12-5
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

I updated and had a short flight yesterday. No battery issues to mention however the drone did toilet bowl really bad so I set it back down and recalibrated the compass. It flew better after that but was a little quirky right after takeoff. I'm going to calibrate both the compass and the IMU before I fly again. I did notice that my indicator at the bottom of the screen is still nowhere near right.
2019-12-6
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-5 22:07
Here you go DJI Forum Moderators

C'mon gentlemen, no need for these direct confrontaions... Be mature and thus indirect - use implications and sarcasm - a "political" way to fight
2019-12-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Users should have an unbiased set of information provided by preferably a lot of others that have the experience. That way they can make an informed decision. I personally never try to sway a person to either install new updates or not install them. I only give my experience. I've been guilty of getting a little upset over some of what I consider pot stirring here, but no longer. I do think it unnecessary to go to the lengths that some have gone to here though. You have to make up your own mind and do what you feel is best for your situation.
2019-12-6
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dang, just installed the update before reading this - no problems so far, fingers crossed!

Actually, I didn't realize there had been a recent update since I avoid updating for as long as possible. I only did it now because I was experiencing some weird glitches, and sometimes updating clears such problems up.
2019-12-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Illuminations Posted at 12-6 18:32
Dang, just installed the update before reading this - no problems so far, fingers crossed!

Actually, I didn't realize there had been a recent update since I avoid updating for as long as possible. I only did it now because I was experiencing some weird glitches, and sometimes updating clears such problems up.

"I only did it now because I was experiencing some weird glitches, and sometimes updating clears such problems up."

When you think last firmware might not have installed properly resulting in weird glitches and possibly could clear up problems.
You can usually do a re-install of current firmware.  

DJI forum admins will sometimes suggest re-install (or re-flash).

2019-12-6
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Mine was brand new out of the box, having arrived yesterday afternoon.  Last night was the first time I had a chance to try it out.  It immediately asked me to update the firmware, which I did.  Having no previous experience with the unit, I have nothing against which to compare.  But it did NOT trash the battery that was in the drone when I did the update, and it has not asked me to update the firmware in any of the other batteries.

And it all seemed to work well.

So one more anecdotal data point where the system had no problems doing the update.

The update process did take a LONG time, but it did eventually get the job done.
2019-12-6
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1655138 ft
Hong Kong

Just updated the firmware, no issue found, able to fly my MM. going to the beach for shooting some surf vid for testing. Good job DJI, nice after sales service!
2019-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules