Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Skydio's nvidia makes dji autonomy an obsolete garbage.
12Next >
2106 43 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Is it time for Dji to partner up with AMD to provide the cpu and gpu required for the full autonomy like skydio has? We should think so.

But this AMD partnership as a result effectively  will make all current and existing dji drones obsolete as well due to the leap in autonomy
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

I'd like to see the AMD badge on the next gen dji drones such as phantom 5, inspire 3, mavic 3.

Also for dji to regain control of the autonomy division of the market. This will eliminate skydio totally.
2019-12-6
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I have the Skydio on order. However, DJI drones such as my M2P still have plenty to offer over what a Skydio can do.

If an M3P (or Skydio3) can incorporate the best of both worlds that would be good.

As is ...
2019-12-6
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-6 03:10
I'd like to see the AMD badge on the next gen dji drones such as phantom 5, inspire 3, mavic 3.

Also for dji to regain control of the autonomy division of the market. This will eliminate skydio totally.

Skydio has the advantage of the USA's Governments current 'angst' of anything chinese, mostly because of Frumps' drive to further american goods.

Outside the US my guess will be that when (not if) DJI implements more AI they will continue to dominate. I could even see them taking over Skydio as an independent arm to get around any trade sanctions. Skydio are tiny. They likely will receive Gouvernment help though in the interim.
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

*DM* Posted at 12-6 03:21
Skydio has the advantage of the USA's Governments current 'angst' of anything chinese, mostly because of Frumps' drive to further american goods.

Outside the US my guess will be that when (not if) DJI implements more AI they will continue to dominate. I could even see them taking over Skydio as an independent arm to get around any trade sanctions. Skydio are tiny. They likely will receive Gouvernment help though in the interim.
Nvidia and Amd processors are tech giants with decades of development and their tech produce are highly efficient at the top of the chain.. making them the only feasible options in terms of performance and cost.

Dji would not be able to match the nvidia processor on their own.. nvidia and amd make the best processors with development fundings worth more than dji itself as a whole.

Skydio poses a massive risk to Dji because it's very easy for skydio to slab and adapt to pro cameras and make the same class drones like small ones as well. They are not far from doing so as their revenues are going up enormously.

The latest AMD processors are basically ahead of intel and nvidia now. Dji must go with AMD.

If Dji will be ignorant to innovate on autonomy then it will not be a surprise if skydio takes over the market's top spot in 3-5 years time.
Remember skydio can imitate much better anything Dji does because of nvidia processors and enormous incoming revenues.
2019-12-6
Use props
Copterfan
lvl.1

Germany

What a Skydio 2.0 can do is incredible.
Forget about "follow me" or "active track"
Look in the following video, how AI search for a way to follow or roundabout ways to follow again.
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Copterfan Posted at 12-6 04:04
Look in the following video, how AI search for a way to follow or roundabout ways to follow again.

100% 100% 100%
2019-12-6
Use props
MavicFit91
Second Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

The m2p and Skydio 2 were created for different purposes. Skydio is made for action sports in adventure,  people who are on snowboards or mountain bikes and are unable to hold a remote. M2p is for photographers and film makers who have the ability to stand or sit and fly their drone and take strategic footage.  They are both great for what they were designed for.
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

MavicFit91 Posted at 12-6 04:43
The m2p and Skydio 2 were created for different purposes. Skydio is made for action sports in adventure,  people who are on snowboards or mountain bikes and are unable to hold a remote. M2p is for photographers and film makers who have the ability to stand or sit and fly their drone and take strategic footage.  They are both great for what they were designed for.
I would disagree on them having different purposes. Both skydio and dji are for aerial photography and videography, same way drones mean autonomous.

Skydio drone camera are made for photographers as well, and if the camera is not very good now, then they are able to put just as good cameras on their next drones.

Follow and active tracking is a big part of aerial photography and drone autonomy, it allows the pilot to focus on gimbal control. And avoiding crash and interuptions as well.
This is why Dji also has the features but they don't work well enough in real follow and active track situations.
2019-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Copterfan Posted at 12-6 04:04

For me that fact it doesn't fold and isn't available in Europe I won't be getting one.
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 06:57
For me that fact it doesn't fold and isn't available in Europe I won't be getting one.

When it does fold and when it becomes available though.
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Forward this to Frank Wang!
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Forward this to the ceo
2019-12-6
Use props
MavicFit91
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-6 06:38
I would disagree on them having different purposes. Both skydio and dji are for aerial photography and videography, same way drones mean autonomous.

Skydio drone camera are made for photographers as well, and if the camera is not very good now, then they are able to put just as good cameras on their next drones.

I disagree. Does a DJI inspire have active track as good as the Skydio? Last time I checked  inspire is used in Hollywood, and Skydio will never be used in Hollywood . It is not a filmmaking flying camera. It is an action flying camera . Mavic 2 pro and Skydio are for 2 completely different  lifestyles. Sure you could do both with both. That can be said about anything
2019-12-6
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

MavicFit91 Posted at 12-6 19:58
I disagree. Does a DJI inspire have active track as good as the Skydio? Last time I checked  inspire is used in Hollywood, and Skydio will never be used in Hollywood . It is not a filmmaking flying camera. It is an action flying camera . Mavic 2 pro and Skydio are for 2 completely different  lifestyles. Sure you could do both with both. That can be said about anything
Skydio will be the new hollywood film maker whenever they want to slab on the 4/3rds camera on their next drones. That's not far away because skydio's revenues are on the rise towards being able to produce professional systems
The inspire requires 2 pilots for action shots and despite having 2 pilots, the inspire still cannot do aerial action shots for obstacles and tight spaces and closeup aerial action shots   
Again not possible without a powerful processor. But hey maybe if you let the world champion pilots do the job then why not

If Dji will go with amd processors, they'll have a very good autonomy for aerial action shots but that also means it would be the end of the existing dji drones.

Would love to see the p5 i3 next gen drones with levels of autonomy like skydio
2019-12-7
Use props
MDMAVIC
lvl.4

Canada

This is fine and dandy from the developers point of view,should be interesting when us mere   mortals start receiving and reviewing them.
2019-12-7
Use props
MavicFit91
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-7 00:47
Skydio will be the new hollywood film maker whenever they want to slab on the 4/3rds camera on their next drones. That's not far away because skydio's revenues are on the rise towards being able to produce professional systems
The inspire requires 2 pilots for action shots and despite having 2 pilots, the inspire still cannot do aerial action shots for obstacles and tight spaces and closeup aerial action shots   
Again not possible without a powerful processor. But hey maybe if you let the world champion pilots do the job then why not

hopefully filmmakers will want to have some artistic control over there shots. Rather than it be automated with a drone. Pretty sure Skydio just through a bunch of cameras around their drone, and used a decent processor. It’s not hard. My roomba  robot vacuum does it.
2019-12-7
Use props
MavicFit91
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-7 00:47
Skydio will be the new hollywood film maker whenever they want to slab on the 4/3rds camera on their next drones. That's not far away because skydio's revenues are on the rise towards being able to produce professional systems

Skydio looks like a toy. DJI drones look like a tool. Go look around on the forum. Most users with high end drones want camera quality with safety features. M2p delivers here . You do not have a m2p. Believe it or not it has pretty great active track. I would rather have a processor dedicated to 4K 60 FPS and 8k 30 FPS with a 1 inch or larger sender on p5 or m3p  than a bunch of  sensing  cameras draining the battery life.
2019-12-7
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

MavicFit91 Posted at 12-7 08:20
hopefully filmmakers will want to have some artistic control over there shots. Rather than it be automated with a drone. Pretty sure Skydio just through a bunch of cameras around their drone, and used a decent processor. It’s not hard. My roomba  robot vacuum does it.
Skydio allows controller stick input while the automation is on going. So it's not an issue how the film maker wants to do the shot.
For dji however, not possible without a world champion pilot to do the close up aerial action shots on tight obstacles
2019-12-7
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

MavicFit91 Posted at 12-7 08:30
Skydio looks like a toy. DJI drones look like a tool. Go look around on the forum. Most users with high end drones want camera quality with safety features. M2p delivers here . You do not have a m2p. Believe it or not it has pretty great active track. I would rather have a processor dedicated to 4K 60 FPS and 8k 30 FPS with a 1 inch or larger sender on p5 or m3p  than a bunch of  sensing  cameras draining the battery life.
As said it's going to be easy for skydio to slab on the good cameras as their revenues rise over time also nvidia and amd processors are efficient even in power consumption. Old or slow and undeveloped processors even consumes more power.
Amd's nano chips are even lighter than nvidias, easier to cool as well.

In terms of design only the phantom and inspire series look real nice tools, the rest are generic though.
2019-12-7
Use props
MavicFit91
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-7 14:02
As said it's going to be easy for skydio to slab on the good cameras as their revenues rise over time  also nvidia and amd processors are efficient even in power consumption. Old or slow and undeveloped processors even consumes more power.
Amd's nano chips are even lighter than nvidias, easier to cool as well.

What makes you think a company can just slab on a camera? That’s one of the most important parts?  Not all nvredia processors are created equal. Skydio is using a niche to get a foothold in the drone industry.  They clung to the one area DJI has not decided to put extreme focus on... obviously it has worked for dji. Skydio might be able to compete , which would be awesome. But as of right now, they fail in comparison to DJI  . If DJI wanted a drone with 100 cameras and an Intel, nvedia, or snapdragon processor, I am sure they have the resources . They work with Microsoft developers On certain  projects even, now hold. Majority stake in hassleblad. Sorry, Skydio is just not impressive at all right now.
2019-12-7
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

MavicFit91 Posted at 12-7 18:23
What makes you think a company can just slab on a camera? That’s one of the most important parts?  Not all nvredia processors are created equal. Skydio is using a niche to get a foothold in the drone industry.  They clung to the one area DJI has not decided to put extreme focus on... obviously it has worked for dji. Skydio might be able to compete , which would be awesome. But as of right now, they fail in comparison to DJI  . If DJI wanted a drone with 100 cameras and an Intel, nvedia, or snapdragon processor, I am sure they have the resources . They work with Microsoft developers On certain  projects even, now hold. Majority stake in hassleblad. Sorry, Skydio is just not impressive at all right now.

I respect your opinion but the tables are turnin once skydio sells international.
2019-12-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 06:57
For me that fact it doesn't fold and isn't available in Europe I won't be getting one.

Why is it not available in Europe and the UK ?
2019-12-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-8 23:47

Not sure,   when I last looked it was USA and Canada only.
2019-12-9
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-8 23:47
Also it's still relatively new
2019-12-9
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read on somewhrere that Skydio 2's Nvidia TX- 2 chip is so powerful that one can fly the drone and mine bitcoin at the same time. Is it true?
2019-12-9
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Maxi3D Posted at 12-9 08:26
I read on somewhrere that Skydio 2's Nvidia TX- 2 chip is so powerful that one can fly the drone and mine bitcoin at the same time. Is it true?
This needs to get to the dji ceo. Hah
2019-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-9 13:31
This needs to get to the dji ceo. Hah

By the time users get it, it will be out of date lol
2019-12-9
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

hallmark007 Posted at 12-9 13:36
By the time users get it, it will be out of date lol
If dji gets amd processors yeah skydio will be outdated.

If dji doesn't get amd though, then dji will be outdated in a few years.
2019-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-10 07:03
If dji gets amd processors yeah skydio will be outdated.

If dji doesn't get amd though, then dji will be outdated in a few years.

Or else dji might get brand new tech.

BTW so far all and I mean all I’ve seen so far from skydio is the ability to show someone running skateboarding biking down a hill, I think people will think this is very  boring after a while .
2019-12-10
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-10 09:58
Or else dji might get brand new tech.

BTW so far all and I mean all I’ve seen so far from skydio is the ability to show someone running skateboarding biking down a hill, I think people will think this is very  boring after a while .

No, I disagree, Skydio with remote controller will have the the best OA along with the ability to fly where ever you want. Case in point see this video.

Or this one.

2019-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Maxi3D Posted at 12-10 14:11
No, I disagree, Skydio with remote controller will have the the best OA along with the ability to fly where ever you want. Case in point see this video.

Skydio flight with remote controller.

I think to be fair here, skydio have shipped out their first batch of drones, none were sent out with RC (why) ?
When dji release a drone with software missing, we see users here on this forum telling us the sky is falling in, the service is crap, the drone is only half a drone, typical Chinese tardiness.

Yet we have skydio who send out there drone LATE and with no remote control.

I have seen that video, it’s the only video I have seen with user using RC and I wonder why, two weeks ago skydio told beta testers NOT to do any distance testing WHY , you say you can fly anywhere hopefully you can, but with no remotes flights on skydio will go nowhere, except to track people on skateboards.

I remember the first skydio , it also could go anywhere, but unfortunately it couldn’t get out because it kept getting stuck .

I hope skydio is a success , but so far it has a long way to go and it’s all uphill right now .
2019-12-10
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-6 06:38
I would disagree on them having different purposes. Both skydio and dji are for aerial photography and videography, same way drones mean autonomous.

Skydio drone camera are made for photographers as well, and if the camera is not very good now, then they are able to put just as good cameras on their next drones.

I disagree. I'm a photographer, do mostly stills of landscapes, architecture and SAR. Other than waypoints and POI, I have never used any of the fancy modes.
2019-12-10
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-10 14:57
I think to be fair here, skydio have shipped out their first batch of drones, none were sent out with RC (why) ?
When dji release a drone with software missing, we see users here on this forum telling us the sky is falling in, the service is crap, the drone is only half a drone, typical Chinese tardiness.

"When dji release a drone with software missing, we see users here on this forum telling us the sky is falling in, the service is crap, the drone is only half a drone, typical Chinese tardiness."
You are forgetting that DJI is a multi-billion dollar company that has released many drones in its history, therefore, a higher standard is expected. While Skydio 2 as their second drone release Skydio is still an upstart company that has something good on their hands, and as such, people will give them more slack.

"Yet we have skydio who send out there drone LATE and with no remote control."

I think this is cause by Skydio stubbornly insisting all their products are built inhouse, by hand. I agree with you why there so few videos with remote control.

2019-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Maxi3D Posted at 12-10 15:48
"When dji release a drone with software missing, we see users here on this forum telling us the sky is falling in, the service is crap, the drone is only half a drone, typical Chinese tardiness."
You are forgetting that DJI is a multi-billion dollar company that has released many drones in its history, therefore, a higher standard is expected. While Skydio 2 as their second drone release Skydio is still an upstart company that has something good on their hands, and as such, people will give them more slack.

I’m sorry I beg to differ, if a company designs a drone and as you said a second drone and fails to ship it with a crucial piece of hardware is unforgivable and doesn’t deserve anyone’s sympathy, remember they said the would release a RC for first drone and it never materialized, and that drone cost 2.5k and now is obsolete, it’s my thinking that they are not treated the same as dji is more to do with them being from the US .
2019-12-10
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Maxi3D Posted at 12-10 14:11

Skydio flight with remote controller.

120%!!!!!!
2019-12-11
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

FatherXmas Posted at 12-10 15:47
I disagree. I'm a photographer, do mostly stills of landscapes, architecture and SAR. Other than waypoints and POI, I have never used any of the fancy modes.
Because follow mode or active track on dji drones are not feasible for videography... so nobody uses them.
2019-12-11
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-11 23:16
Because follow mode or active track on dji drones are not feasible for videography... so nobody uses them.

I agree.  If it DJI had a much better functioning Active Track, much more people would be using it, myself included.  By the way, I mistakenly clicked on the downvote button for your comment, the system wouldn't let me undo it.
2019-12-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-10 15:57
I’m sorry I beg to differ, if a company designs a drone and as you said a second drone and fails to ship it with a crucial piece of hardware is unforgivable and doesn’t deserve anyone’s sympathy, remember they said the would release a RC for first drone and it never materialized, and that drone cost 2.5k and now is obsolete, it’s my thinking that they are not treated the same as dji is more to do with them being from the US .

Pretty sure Spark released without a controller at first...
2019-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 12-12 09:38
Pretty sure Spark released without a controller at first...

No it wasn’t but you did have an option.
2019-12-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules