No Precision RTH option available on Mavic 2 Zoom
1953 15 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

I recently got an M2Z, updated all the firmware, and did all the other calibrations and whatnot required.  Unfortunately, my M2Z will NOT perform a precision RTH to save its life.  I've activated all the required features to allow it EXCEPT Precision landing because IT'S NOT AN OPTION!

I have the most recent DJIGO4 app (4.3.29) and firmware (01.00.0510), but it simply doesn't exist.  Was this made a permanent setting that we can't control any more, or is this just weird?

app firmware versions

app firmware versions
djiprecision.PNG
2019-12-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Oh, one more thing:  I've been flying my Mavic Air for the past year with the same app and iPad and Galaxy Note 9 and the app allows me to select precision landing, so it is not the attached device that's the issue.
2019-12-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

With the Mavic 2 there is no option to activate it, it does it automatically when landing, on take off go to around 6 to 7 meters and stay there for about 7 seconds to register the take off point
2019-12-7
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 12-7 00:50
With the Mavic 2 there is no option to activate it, it does it automatically when landing, on take off go to around 6 to 7 meters and stay there for about 7 seconds to register the take off point

Ah,  Thanks.  When I do that it still isn't landing precisely though.
2019-12-7
Use props
ting-ting
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5871467 ft
  • >>>
United States

Precision usually works if you have a landing pad or something bright or colorful. When taking off allow the drone to hover about 10 to 20 ft to allow the precision sensor on the bottom of the drone to take a picture of the landing area. Watch plenty of Youtube video on the Mavic 2 precision landing.
2019-12-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Skeeter Honey Posted at 12-7 10:35
Ah,  Thanks.  When I do that it still isn't landing precisely though.

Calibrate your compass, then take off to 7 meters wait for a few seconds fly out a couple hundred meters and hit RTH, watch your screen when landing and it should show you precision landing when its coming down, ensure the landing area has no obstacles.
2019-12-7
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have mentioned, there is no need to check a box like is necessary with the Air.  Just take off straight up at least 7 meters vertically before moving horizontally and it will automatically do it in the RTH.  However, I disagree with the others about needing to hover.  The manual makes no mention of it being necessary to hover in that location for any period of time in order for it to work. I also have not found it necessary to need to hover.  I just take off straight up and make sure I’m higher than 22ft before moving horizontally.  Doing this has worked fine for me every time I’ve tested it.
2019-12-7
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-7 21:36
As others have mentioned, there is no need to check a box like is necessary with the Air.  Just take off straight up at least 7 meters vertically before moving horizontally and it will automatically do it in the RTH.  However, I disagree with the others about needing to hover.  The manual makes no mention of it being necessary to hover in that location for any period of time in order for it to work. I also have not found it necessary to need to hover.  I just take off straight up and make sure I’m higher than 22ft before moving horizontally.  Doing this has worked fine for me every time I’ve tested it.

I do both hover and not, but the PL occurs about 20% of the time (half hover, half not).  Each time it's the same takeoff point in good light, from an orange & white landing pad on green/brown grass.  And always, always, straight up to 20-22 ft.

What am I missing?
2019-12-7
Use props
TrippleDelta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

Suren Posted at 12-7 00:50
With the Mavic 2 there is no option to activate it, it does it automatically when landing, on take off go to around 6 to 7 meters and stay there for about 7 seconds to register the take off point

That high? I always hover at 2 meters. Every now and then the precision landing goes wrong.
2019-12-8
Use props
TVOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1680082 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, the issue I find with the Mavic 2 is that if you just take off and just fly a couple off meters away from the take off point the drone will just land where it is at that point when you press the RTH button, it can be a problem in some situations, it has happened to me a few times until I sussed out what was happening, it is documented in the manual BTW. you would think the drone would land where it took off from just for safety's sake. When RTH is activated and all the parameters are correct for RTH I have never once to this day seen my drone land in the same place twice, it is always within a foot of the take off point, I don't use a takeoff pad any more because the drone 9 times out of ten will miss it or land half on half off, but that's just me I expect too much lol
2019-12-8
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

TrippleDelta Posted at 12-8 01:57
That high? I always hover at 2 meters. Every now and then the precision landing goes wrong.

Everyone (including DJI) is saying 7m.  Maybe I should start lower.
2019-12-8
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

TVOD Posted at 12-8 01:59
Hi, the issue I find with the Mavic 2 is that if you just take off and just fly a couple off meters away from the take off point the drone will just land where it is at that point when you press the RTH button, it can be a problem in some situations, it has happened to me a few times until I sussed out what was happening, it is documented in the manual BTW. you would think the drone would land where it took off from just for safety's sake. When RTH is activated and all the parameters are correct for RTH I have never once to this day seen my drone land in the same place twice, it is always within a foot of the take off point, I don't use a takeoff pad any more because the drone 9 times out of ten will miss it or land half on half off, but that's just me I expect too much lol

Yeah, it's weird.  My Mavic Air lands completely on the pad about 99% of the time. Odd that twice the drone has half the accuracy.
2019-12-8
Use props
DATOR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102087 ft
Australia

TVOD Posted at 12-8 01:59
Hi, the issue I find with the Mavic 2 is that if you just take off and just fly a couple off meters away from the take off point the drone will just land where it is at that point when you press the RTH button, it can be a problem in some situations, it has happened to me a few times until I sussed out what was happening, it is documented in the manual BTW. you would think the drone would land where it took off from just for safety's sake. When RTH is activated and all the parameters are correct for RTH I have never once to this day seen my drone land in the same place twice, it is always within a foot of the take off point, I don't use a takeoff pad any more because the drone 9 times out of ten will miss it or land half on half off, but that's just me I expect too much lol

Interesting as i have a 75cm landing pad and mine lands on it perfectly time after time.
2019-12-8
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Multiple firmware updates and two years later and I guess I just got a dud.  I wish we had been given the precision landing option that forces the drone to stop and take a fix.

Oh well.  It's still a great drone and I still love flying it. It's so much more than I need, so it look like it'll be my forever drone.  

Although I did just buy a mini 2...
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a permanently available feature, non switchable. For a given flight to activate it the drone must, from take off , climb vertically to 7m+. page 19 of the 1.8 manual
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... er_Manual_v1.8_.pdf

Note the climb is from take off with no command other than climb i.e. no yaw, no commanded horizontal movement, I do not know if wind drift is permissible.

2021-12-24
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-24 17:32
It's a permanently available feature, non switchable. For a given flight to activate it the drone must, from take off , climb vertically to 7m+. page 19 of the 1.8 manual
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... er_Manual_v1.8_.pdf

I do that EVERY time and it'll work 10% of the time.

Again, on the Air (1st gen) 99% of the time it works every time.
2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules